Mika-Branded Mobile Handsets?

Fmbm

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/33843/Stand-by-for-Mika-branded-mobile-handsets

Stand by for Mika-branded mobile handsets

ME Staff Today, 11:49am

An innovative new loyalty scheme based on pop star Mika could lead to branded mobile phones.

Launched by his label Island Records, the scheme is called Mika's Magic Numbers, and involves fans earning loyalty points for contributing to his website, and buying music, merchandise and tickets.

Those points can then be redeemed for various rewards, ranging from wallpapers, screensavers and music downloads, right up to a private acoustic gig from Mika himself.

So where's the mobile angle? Island is keen to get brands involved in the scheme, and is specifically targeting mobile device makers.

"We can work with any mobile handset / MP3 player manufacturer and bundle exclusive Mika content on the handset / player," explains a presentation prepared by Island and its technical partner Push Entertainment.

"As part of the promotion we can issue a unique pin number for every product sold... worth say 10,000 points. We would then heavily promote this offer and how many points could be earned on the Mika website and to the database of 120,000+ which would create a very effective mechanic for driving awareness and sales."

It's not hard to imagine Nokia going for this idea to promote its Comes With Music phones, although the likes of Sony Ericsson, LG and Samsung may well be interested too.

Island is also planning to work with digital music stores to ensure fans earn points when they buy downloads from them, rather than from his own site. This may be of interest to mobile operators running their own full-track download stores.

------

Translation: We're trying to make money off of fans :sneaky2:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An innovative new loyalty scheme based on pop star Mika could lead to branded mobile phones.

Launched by his label Island Records, the scheme is called Mika's Magic Numbers, and involves fans earning loyalty points for contributing to his website, and buying music, merchandise and tickets.

Those points can then be redeemed for various rewards, ranging from wallpapers, screensavers and music downloads, right up to a private acoustic gig from Mika himself.

So where's the mobile angle? Island is keen to get brands involved in the scheme, and is specifically targeting mobile device makers.

"We can work with any mobile handset / MP3 player manufacturer and bundle exclusive Mika content on the handset / player," explains a presentation prepared by Island and its technical partner Push Entertainment.

"As part of the promotion we can issue a unique pin number for every product sold... worth say 10,000 points. We would then heavily promote this offer and how many points could be earned on the Mika website and to the database of 120,000+ which would create a very effective mechanic for driving awareness and sales."

It's not hard to imagine Nokia going for this idea to promote its Comes With Music phones, although the likes of Sony Ericsson, LG and Samsung may well be interested too.

Island is also planning to work with digital music stores to ensure fans earn points when they buy downloads from them, rather than from his own site. This may be of interest to mobile operators running their own full-track download stores.

------

They think Mika is a big enough name for big companies to want to be associated with him :thumb_yello: yeah - so they can make money :bleh: - but still - it's good news :boing:

------

:lmfao:

okkkkk :blink:

well.. here some artists do the same thing...

for example, before Babasonicos new album was released, if you had bought a new LG cellphone, the whole album was in the memory.. it`s the new fashion now (?)

This is a great idea with many benefits. Fans will buy the products anyway, and this way Mika gets some more promotion, and his music gets onto the players and the phones.

Apart from that, In these days of problems in the economy, it's good that Mika can put another string to his bow and maybe earn something from this, We know that he uses his own money (very often) in his shows and is generous with his fans, so it's good he can earn a bit more.

It will also keep people interested in him and keep the record label very happy.

So for me, this is good news!

I think it's a good idea in theory...but what about everyone around the world? Is it going to be available to everyone like his merchandise on his website?

(and I have a feeling that something worth 10,000 points is going to be veeery expensive.:boxed:)

Sorry to be a downer about the news :biggrin2:

T4P

:lmfao:

okkkkk :blink:

well.. here some artists do the same thing...

for example, before Babasonicos new album was released, if you had bought a new LG cellphone, the whole album was in the memory.. it`s the new fashion now (?)

things like that happen a lot here in greece too. it's just another way of promoting artists.

it'd be interesting to see how something like this could happen with mika songs. wonder what the exclusive content could be, acoustic versions of songs maybe?

My English is not that good.

I don't get it actually. :blush-anim-cl:

Well, it's my first language, and I still don't understand some of it. :lol3:

But, it was about time for me to get a new phone....:teehee:

I thought the idea of Mika's Magic Numbers was to reward loyal fans for doing things and buying stuff to do with Mika.

This just seems to be another marketing ploy and not what I thought these magic numbers was about at all.

10000 points is a lot of points worth four gig tickets. Am I a more loyal fan if I buy a phone or the gig tickets?

This doesn't seem to be a good thing to me.

Or have I got this all wrong?

I thought the idea of Mika's Magic Numbers was to reward loyal fans for doing things and buying stuff to do with Mika.

This just seems to be another marketing ploy and not what I thought these magic numbers was about at all.

10000 points is a lot of points worth four gig tickets. Am I a more loyal fan if I buy a phone or the gig tickets?

I agree with you. The whole thing just sounds very slimy. :puke:

The record company own the site - what do you expect?

This bit worries me too:

Island is also planning to work with digital music stores to ensure fans earn points when they buy downloads from them, rather than from his own site.

The record company own the site - what do you expect?

Well nothing really, just Mika has said, I believe, that he thought up this magic numbers thing and it was to reward loyal fans.

Wait! Maybe I got it wrong! I though it was meant to be loyal fans of Mika, but it's loyal fans of Universal ! :doh:

Well nothing really, just Mika has said, I believe, that he thought up this magic numbers thing and it was to reward loyal fans.

Wait! Maybe I got it wrong! I though it was meant to be loyal fans of Mika, but it's loyal fans of Universal ! :doh:

Or even loyal fans of Universal shareholders :wink2: