"The Boy Who Knew Too Much" Album

Giulietta

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha...aww...that sounds so incredibly sad.

in 1999, i turned 9 on december 9th (lotta 9's eh?) hmmm...i was living in wisconsin and i was a panda bear in my school's christmas show.:biggrin2:

It's not sad. It's funny. :naughty:

Aww how cute :wub2:

Coming to this discussion a bit late as I've just got back from another few days away at the 'Black Hole' (ie parents-in-laws' house with no internet access!!)

I really love the new album artwork - it has a real 1970's feel to it (not a period I'm particularly fond of fashion-wise!) - am liking the retro-feel. I think the photo of Mika just placed there like that is a nod to those girls' mags that were about then - pics of popstars were randomly 'scattered' over a page. It's very evocative of that period to me.

The new title is more imaginative than just naming it after the single 'WAG' - I quite like it but I think it will take time to really grow on me. The title has shades of the 1950's to me - maybe it reminds me of sci-fi films or something?? Can't quite put my finger on it at the mo as to why I feel it's 'of that period'. Anyway, I think it kind of "fits" in an oblique way, because the 1950's was the time when teenagers really came into their own with music, fashion etc. I'm sure Mika wasn't alluding to that with the choice of this title, but it just helps to make it more appropriate to the theme of his album for me!

On the whole I like the change!

Oh my, I feel old. :naughty::old:

Sorry to hear you were already being made fun of at age four. :no:

Ha:roftl: Don't feel:teehee::naughty:

It's okay:aah: I have no idea why I was made fun of, but all I know is that it was a girl mocking me and it terrorized me:aah:

What's the thing peeking in from the window? A new character perhaps...?

what hope do i have with typing TBWKTM when alking about Mika to my friends when they had to ask what MFC was!?!?!?!

in 1999 i was 7... not much happened that was particularly exciting for me...

i immediately loved the album cover and the name! but i'm a bit weird so maybe it's just me... :)

Ha:roftl: Don't feel:teehee::naughty:

It's okay:aah: I have no idea why I was made fun of, but all I know is that it was a girl mocking me and it terrorized me:aah:

i was made fun of when i was younger because i have REALLY curly hair...

suddenly, come 2007 and Grace Kelly, something i'm proud of! :blush-anim-cl:

i was made fun of when i was younger because i have REALLY curly hair...

suddenly, come 2007 and Grace Kelly, something i'm proud of! :blush-anim-cl:

:shocked: Same here!:bleh: I still have it. And I already had to wear glasses, and it made my eyes huge so maybe that's why:dunno:

:doh:

I see... he is bearded, but doens't Walter VB tend to use more clean cut and black beard? Mika's bearded guy looks like a mad scientist with some magic power

:biggrin2:

Dr. John?

I liked the cover when I fist saw it, but it's grown on me in the last few days, I like it waaaaay more than the LICM cover.

The space theme is cool, though I don't see where that "fits in" with the title XD

Escape to outer space I guess?

The thing I love most about the cover, it's verrry "MIKA-ish". I knew as soon as I saw it it saw for one of his releases and its always nice when artists (in any kind of art) have a clear obvious "style".

i know, i'm late!! i tried to read the whole thread but i didn't succeed.. so, sorry if i'm saying something you've already pointed out.. :blush-anim-cl:

when i first saw the cover, i was like :shocked: as usual talking about mika's things..

but with a second look, i felt in love!!

i like the fact that it reminds slightly LICM, as someone said before, i agree in finding it a sort of sequel!

i don't know if it's me or if it was obvious, but i had this enlightenment just this morning watching it while reading this thread.. :teehee:

looking at the image giving it a third dimension, it seems that MIKA, the title and the little pic are flying over the room.. as they are part of a transparent ceiling that allows us to watch inside the room..

at the beginning there was something i didn't get, the perspective was not right imo.. but then i've looked at the image as it was representig a box with a transparent cover, and then i get it!! now it has much more sense!! :blush-anim-cl:

again, sorry if you've already said that, but i had to share my discovery!! :roftl:

the title doesn't excite me, but i'm curious about it..

the little pic is def not one of his bests, there were tons better looking imo, but whatever, probably it's meant to be catchy and not to show how gorgeous he is.. :aah:

:shocked: Same here!:bleh: I still have it. And I already had to wear glasses, and it made my eyes huge so maybe that's why:dunno:

i had to wear glasses as well but now i've got contacts so it's all better :biggrin2: i have some pics of me when i was about 6 or 7 and i wondered how i went to school with my hair short and very curly?!?! not a good look... xxx

also i think the album is called 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much' cos when you're a teenager you think you know everything (as my parents keep telling me) so maybe it's a play on that... who knows. Mika'll probably have some weird or unusual reason for it :naughty:

i don't know if it's me or if it was obvious' date=' but i had this enlightenment just this morning watching it while reading this thread.. :teehee:

looking at the image giving it a third dimension, it seems that MIKA, the title and the little pic are flying over the room.. as they are part of a transparent ceiling that allows us to watch inside the room.. [/quote']

This is why I don't really understand the complaints that the photo of Mika is misplaced and should be hung on the wall. The pic appears to me to be falling from space well above the room and I get the sense that this shot of the room is meant to be a glimpse back in time from the present point (or perhaps the reverse, a look to the future from a past point). That outside Mika's walls, instead of his crappy school existence, the entire universe was awaiting him and his 16-year-old imagination has now manifested itself in this popstar called MIKA whose picture is drifting down from above.

This is why I don't really understand the complaints that the photo of Mika is misplaced and should be hung on the wall. The pic appears to me to be falling from space well above the room and I get the sense that this shot of the room is meant to be a glimpse back in time from the present point (or perhaps the reverse, a look to the future from a past point). That outside Mika's walls, instead of his crappy school existence, the entire universe was awaiting him and his 16-year-old imagination has now manifested itself in this popstar called MIKA whose picture is drifting down from above.

Interesting and beautiful :wub2: Christine!

This is why I don't really understand the complaints that the photo of Mika is misplaced and should be hung on the wall. The pic appears to me to be falling from space well above the room and I get the sense that this shot of the room is meant to be a glimpse back in time from the present point (or perhaps the reverse, a look to the future from a past point). That outside Mika's walls, instead of his crappy school existence, the entire universe was awaiting him and his 17-year-old imagination has now manifested itself in this popstar called MIKA whose picture is drifting down from above.

the complaints about the misplacing of mika's pic are exactly what makes me get the perspective game!!

infact the rounded white frame gives the idea you well explained!!

i'm a bit slow in getting things probably!!! :roftl:

i love this aspect of mika's art!!

at first sight you think "uhm, well, that's nice/funny..."

but if you understand the meaning or if you can find your own sense, then you can really enjoy the whole lot!! :thumb_yello:

e.g.

from when i get the perspective game, i'm really much more into this artwork cover then before!!

the same happened with WAG.. at the beginning it was a strange apparently happy song, but then i've found a sense and got the sufference in it as well, and now i love it!!

Edited by Lil'Violet

You reminded me of lines from a poem :biggrin2:

"Time's wrong-way telescope will show

a minute man ten years hence

and by distance simplified"

from "Simplify Me When I'm Dead" by Keith Douglas

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/show/31106-Keith-Douglas-Simplify-Me-When-I-m-Dead

Good poem :thumb_yello:

from "Simplify Me When I'm Dead" by Keith Douglas

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/show/31106-Keith-Douglas-Simplify-Me-When-I-m-Dead

Oh interesting. :thumb_yello:

I also like the following lines:

Through that lens see if I seem

substance or nothing: of the world

deserving mention or charitable oblivion

It's all about perspective isn't it?

All that nostalgia talk for 1999 made me think how nice it is for Mika that his 16-year-old dreams have become a reality, but wondering how it is that my golden life took such a horribly wrong turn. :aah::teehee:

Oh interesting. :thumb_yello:

I also like the following lines:

Through that lens see if I seem

deserving mention or charitable oblivion

It's all about perspective isn't it?

All that nostalgia talk for 1999 made me think how nice it is for Mika that his 16-year-old dreams have become a reality, but wondering how it is that my golden life took such a horribly wrong turn. :aah::teehee:

Glad you like it - the poem stuck in my head for some reason. The chap is a 2nd WW poet - killed in 1944, age 24 :sad:

It's all about looking back after the lapse of time, so that short-term things get forgotten, and what remains is a simpler, clearer view - like Mika's "cartoon" self on the album cover. I like the idea of looking back being like looking the wromg way down a telescope - you see less detail, not more - and it reminded me of the perspective of looking down (and back) onto Mika's teenage bedroom.

"Through that lens see if I seem

deserving mention or charitable oblivion"

This makes me think of how perspective changes over time when it comes to art and music appreciation - the "greats" we recognise now may not have been recognised in their lifetimes (eg Van Gogh), or if successful, may have competed with people whose work did not stand the test of time.

eg Mozart and Salieri (who?)

or Handel's "Messiah" and Coleridge-Taylor's "Hiawatha's Wedding Feast" (both were major choral works performed equally in the early part of the 20th C)

I hope Mika stands out as a great in time too :thumb_yello:

This makes me think of how perspective changes over time when it comes to art and music appreciation - the "greats" we recognise now may not have been recognised in their lifetimes (eg Van Gogh), or if successful, may have competed with people whose work did not stand the test of time.

eg Mozart and Salieri (who?)

or Handel's "Messiah" and Coleridge-Taylor's "Hiawatha's Wedding Feast" (both were major choral works performed equally in the early part of the 20th C)

I hope Mika stands out as a great in time too :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello:

To me, it is also interesting how my perspecive changes over time when it comes to appreciation of art and even music. I think it is likely to have to do with the experience we can relate to that piece of art. As you become older, you have more experice to draw from and your perspective changes as well. I think this theory can be applied to society accepting some visionary artists rather late, too... :wink2:

Have finally managed to go on the Internet quickly and of course came on here as soon as I saw the link Caz left me (thanks again Caz :wub2:) I seriously LURVE it. I knew I would anyway :wub2: And I'm liking the new title as well, I'm trying to think where I've heard of it before though :aah: It's prob already been written in the past few pages, boy do I have a lot of catching up to do :aah: