2009 - MIKA @ Popstarz Live @ The Scala, London 11-09 - REPORTS, PHOTOS, VIDS

Blue Sky

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have really mixed feelings about MY experience and my own feelings about this gig and I don't feel up to talking about them tbh, I am not good with debates and what not so I tend to sit on fences a lot instead, got a lot of splinters in my ass now though.

All I will say is that Mika performed his soul out and was undeniably happy to do so, he said something really funny that I only noticed in one of my vids. I didn't take any pics, BBVix and I decided she would take pics I would video ( I got the bum deal cos my arm ached and I missed out on some of the atmosphere) it was my own choice tho but I wish I hadn't bothered, guess I had such a great view (I am sorry about that now in the cold light of day) so felt kinda obliged to take vids for MFC, Mika did look at my camera now and then though I didn't notice till I looked at vids cos I held camera away from myself while I also tried to bob and have fun and get into the atmosphere etc.

I have a really good vid of Mika's fall thing, he was shocked for a short while till he realized he wasn't gonna hurt himself and that the MFC saved his bones (well I am sure most of them near us lunged forwards to break his fall).

He eyed the guy up sorta behind me to my left practically the whole time he was on stage and it was him who he 1st pulled on stage.

What I disliked most after watching my vids were 2 small females who seemed to take the opportunity to get as much of Mika as they could, stroking his hair and one grabbed his arm for dear life and clung onto him and he was trying to pull away cos the cute guy he pulled on stage was after a hug etc and he really wanted to be going in THAT direction. I'll maybe upload the vids so you can see for yourselves tomorrow.

Anyway Mika was excellent on stage, but the experience hasn't bowled me over I would have rather spent time at the pub on Monday night I think with hindsight, i'ts just left me with the oddest feeling that I can't explain, that has nothing to do with the "revelation" cos there never really was one, in fact I would have been MORE shocked if I was wrong lol.

Edited by sparkly1

PS. forgot to say some of my vids have weird lighting and colouring due to the lights and being so close so they look kinda pop arty and cartoony and his skin looks really glowing and golden sometimes lol. I have posted 2 on utube so far, please excuse everyones bad singing but he WAS asking us all to join in :P

Edited by sparkly1

Anyway Mika was excellent on stage, but the experience hasn't bowled me over I would have rather spent time at the pub on Monday night I think with hindsight, i'ts just left me with the oddest feeling that I can't explain, that has nothing to do with the "revelation" cos there never really was one, in fact I would have been MORE shocked if I was wrong lol.

I agree, pub time with Mika meant much more to me than this gig. At hammersmith and sadler's I felt as though Mika connected with the audience as a whole but here it was very much like MFC came second. Not that I'm complaining, I can see why this kind of audience was important to him, but I did feel slightly detached. Of course I was still going as mental as I could and really enjoying it, but there was also something missing, I felt.

I really love the way you make your report, you actually film Mika, you and your friends during all the day and night that's amazing... congratulations CazGirl, and thanks for sharing :thumb_yello:

Thank you and you're welcome!

I am not good with debates and what not so I tend to sit on fences a lot instead, got a lot of splinters in my ass now though.

:naughty: love it

I agree, pub time with Mika meant much more to me than this gig. At hammersmith and sadler's I felt as though Mika connected with the audience as a whole but here it was very much like MFC came second.

I don't want to make anyone feel bad about their choices for Friday night. As I have said, we are all individuals and we make our own decisions. However,

to me, this was always going to be the case. It was NOT a gig for MFC. Yes, we were made to feel welcome within the club which was great but as far as I was concernced it was as if we were guests. As Sparkly1 describes, Mika connected with the guys that were near the front and IMHO (and I know that I am not popular for expressing this view) the front rows should have been full of them. I pretty sure that that is what Mika would have wanted. I know that some people have said 'we didn't know' 'if someone had told me I wouldn't have done it' but basically people do what they want to do and don't nessersarily listen to reason. I did indeed express my opinion to some MFCers before the gig and was basically looked upon as if I had fallen off some allien planet.:wink2:

But whatever...................no harm was done.

I don't feel like writing a long report this time because most of the people who was there seem to have a similar view on things... I've never been to a gay club before, but it was fun seeing Mika at one. This gig was very different to the regular ones. Mika seemed very relaxed and was smiling all the time, and I was glad to hear what he told us about his clubbing experiences. It must have meant a lot to him to be back at that club - this time with his mum!

He looked like he was falling at the end. To be honest I thought at first that he was going to do a stage dive, or the guys thought he wanted to do that and decided to help him... Obviously it was not Mika's intention, but he didn't look hurt 'cause he was still laughing and he hugged the guy who had bent him over.

Mika's pants were falling off twice, and the second time he pulled them back up right in front of me. :biggrin2: Martin gave some hilarious smirks in my direction. :roftl: I so want to meet him again and ask him how many times he has seen me, as he once told me that he had seen me loads of times and asked how many gigs I've been to. :roftl: I have only met him once. Cherisse went right pass me as she left, but I didn't want to stop her as she probably wouldn't remember me anyway... I wanted to meet Mika after the gig, 'cause I had a little request for him, but I knew that it might not happen in London. And I was right: he left quickly and I just got there when he was leaving. I managed to say "bye", not sure if he heard, but he looked in my direction.

The gig was one of the best I've been to. Maybe 'cause it was at a gay club and he sort of "came out" or because it was such a small and intimate venue. Unlike some others I didn't feel like I should be apologizing for being in the front row. The gay guys near me didn't seem to be bothered, they were actually, ehm, concentrating on each other more than the gig at times. :biggrin2: The pushing wasn't as bad as at some other gigs.

The next morning I had a massive headache and my feet were sore also. I probably hadn't drunk enough water. I was going through in my head the same question all over again: "Why do I keep spending hundreds of Euros on travelling and suffering from all the pain just to see Mika for one hour?" :aah: I was too tired to see more of London and I headed early for Heathrow - I ended up spending three hours at the airport and thinking again: "Why?!?"

On the plane I decided that seeing Mika seven times in London was enough and I would be going somewhere else next time. I would like to save my money for the proper album tour, 'cause he only sang five new songs at this gig and that's the way it's going to be until February, in my opinion. I want to hear more! But I still might see one gig this year... It's tempting. I can't break my tradition of three gigs in a year. :wink2:

Thanks to all who were there. I apologize that I didn't take such a big part in the conversations as others. It's hard not being a native English speaker, 'cause I can't speak as fast as you. If I try, I mess up and feel like an idiot. You do realize that you speak fast, don't you? I had a British teacher once who said that if you don't reply within five seconds the conversation is over. It's a cultural difference. In Finland we can continue the conversation later. I did understand almost everything you said though, let's say 98 %. :biggrin2: It's just hard to "step in" sometimes. It was nice meeting MFC'ers, some for the first time.

Um, this report IS quite long. :teehee:

I just recalled that one of the drag queens almost fell over me when he was leaving. The one with the purple wig. He was laughing hysterically about it. :naughty:

Edited by Marianne84

I don't want to make anyone feel bad about their choices for Friday night. As I have said, we are all individuals and we make our own decisions. However,

to me, this was always going to be the case. It was NOT a gig for MFC. Yes, we were made to feel welcome within the club which was great but as far as I was concernced it was as if we were guests. As Sparkly1 describes, Mika connected with the guys that were near the front and IMHO (and I know that I am not popular for expressing this view) the front rows should have been full of them. I pretty sure that that is what Mika would have wanted. I know that some people have said 'we didn't know' 'if someone had told me I wouldn't have done it' but basically people do what they want to do and don't nessersarily listen to reason. I did indeed express my opinion to some MFCers before the gig and was basically looked upon as if I had fallen off some allien planet.:wink2:

But whatever...................no harm was done.

exactly, I mean, Mika doesn't play at gay clubs/gay friendly clubs often at all, and we all know Mika was quite a gay following, so no doubt it was special on both parts. I'm pretty sure Mika was still pleased to see us there supporting him, but it just wasn't our gig.

I'm feeling MILES better today by the way :-)

Thanks to all who were there. I apologize that I didn't take such a big part in the conversations as others. It's hard not being a native English speaker, 'cause I can't speak as fast as you. If I try, I mess up and feel like an idiot. You do realize that you speak fast, don't you? I had a British teacher once who said that if you don't reply within five seconds the conversation is over. It's a cultural difference. In Finland we can continue the conversation later. I did understand almost everything you said thought, let's say 98 %. :biggrin2: It's just hard to "step in" sometimes. It was nice meeting MFC'ers, some for the first time.

So that's why you were quiet, I just thought you were shy lol :naughty: No worries by the way, sorry for talking so fast. I never realise I do until I hear myself in a video or something :aah: but you have very good english!

Thanks to all who were there. I apologize that I didn't take such a big part in the conversations as others. It's hard not being a native English speaker, 'cause I can't speak as fast as you. If I try, I mess up and feel like an idiot. You do realize that you speak fast, don't you? I had a British teacher once who said that if you don't reply within five seconds the conversation is over. It's a cultural difference. In Finland we can continue the conversation later. I did understand almost everything you said thought, let's say 98 %. :biggrin2: It's just hard to "step in" sometimes.

Glad you enjoyed it Marianne, I am really sorry about the 'speaking fast' thing. I know that Sienna and Tiibet and no doubt many others have similar feelings. I promise that I will TRY and slow down in future.:wub2:

exactly, I mean, Mika doesn't play at gay clubs/gay friendly clubs often at all, and we all know Mika was quite a gay following, so no doubt it was special on both parts. I'm pretty sure Mika was still pleased to see us there supporting him, but it just wasn't our gig.

I'm feeling MILES better today by the way :-)

Yes indeed.:thumb_yello:

So glad you are feeling better:biggrin2::wub2:

Now..............I really MUST go and do something:naughty:

'if someone had told me I wouldn't have done it' but basically people do what they want to do and don't nessersarily listen to reason.

If everyone around here listened to reason we wouldn't be having a discussion 2.5 years on about how he's coming out of the closet. :lmfao:

If everyone around here listened to reason we wouldn't be having a discussion 2.5 years on about how he's coming out of the closet. :lmfao:

Well, I guess the issue is that now he is openly gay according to the reports of the fans who were there. It makes a huge difference. One thing is having people whisper in your ear at gigs "you know, he's gay, his boyfriend is...", a totally different one is having him admit his s.o. at a gig in a gay club. This shows that he has changed his mind and now he wants to make his s.o. public. It means a lot to me and to many other people who wanted to respect his choice of not mixing his music and his s.o. :thumb_yello:

Well, I guess the issue is that now he is openly gay according to the reports of the fans who were there. It makes a huge difference. One thing is having people whisper in your ear at gigs "you know, he's gay, his boyfriend is...", a totally different one is having him admit his s.o. at a gig in a gay club. This shows that he has changed his mind and now he wants to make his s.o. public. It means a lot to me and to many other people who wanted to respect his choice of not mixing his music and his s.o. :thumb_yello:

All he said was that he has been going to Popstarz for years. This was no secret. In fact someone mentioned it to me two weeks ago and said this is why the gig was moved to La Scala. :dunno:

I don't think Mika has changed his mind about anything. He's just living his life as he always was. He doesn't answer direct questions in the press about his sexuality and I don't expect he's going to start answering them tomorrow.

All he said was that he has been going to Popstarz for years. This was no secret. In fact someone mentioned it to me two weeks ago and said this is why the gig was moved to La Scala. :dunno:

I don't think Mika has changed his mind about anything. He's just living his life as he always was. He doesn't answer direct questions in the press about his sexuality and I don't expect he's going to start answering them tomorrow.

:thumb_yello:

I agree with that. i dont think he sees this as his 'coming-out-gig', although i cant say much about it since i wasnt there :teehee:

but i dont think he will answer those questions now, i dont think he sees this as a itoldeveryoneimgay-moment, more as a igaveanotherhint-moment :biggrin2:

I agree with that. i dont think he sees this as his 'coming-out-gig', although i cant say much about it since i wasnt there :teehee:

but i dont think he will answer those questions now, i dont think he sees this as a itoldeveryoneimgay-moment, more as a igaveanotherhint-moment :biggrin2:

:aah:Yes. :teehee: Little clues as Jemma has been saying for years.

... all agreed BUT with that story he might have made it more obvious for people who were not able to or willing to read 'the signs'.

I think this "speech" might actually mean something to our own forum life as at certain times some people were discouraged to refer to him as being or acting gay. Now I don't think anyone should shy away from such discussions.

... all agreed BUT with that story he might have made it more obvious for people who were not able to or willing to read 'the signs'.

I think this "speech" might actually mean something to our own forum life as at certain times some people were discouraged to refer to him as being or acting gay. Now I don't think anyone should shy away from such discussions.

Signs and camp behaviour were part of the game. :wink2:

But as Sariflor said in her report: this was a confession gig, so things have definitely changed! :groupwave: