BIOTG video and Jools Holland

babspanky

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can co-direct! In fact we should just have a big meeting around a massive table and draw up a story board so everyone gets their input and it's all great and MFC-ified.

Baaaah I had this total vision and then he comes out with that...:( I don't *dislike* it, but...bah. I like his moves and I like how the camera follows him but it just feels a bit slapdash.

Just noticed that.

Co-directing...:thumb_yello:

Big meeting? That's a good idea...

I didn't like the tapping cane. For me it just didn't work.

Sara Bareilles' video "Gravity" is one continual shot and it works beautifully. I like how the camera moves (in BIOTG) and then Mika appears in a different place, but then they faded to a long shot, low angle tilt of dancers coming by those tiny TV sets (I think) and it's like...that fade totally doesn't work. They should have done one continual shot or just straight cut to it. I didn't like how it was set in a studio, it should have had a story to it, like The Feeling's video "I love it when you call"

And I can't choreograph to save my life, I just get taught the dance and I'll dance my brains out, but one thing that totally did not fit was that stringy stuff at the end - WTF? - and after that bit when they started doing that 60's move where you have the arms moving up and down alternatively...seriously, why? That move doesn't go with the song.

I quite liked the cane tapping, cos it REALLY fitted the sound. It was another Clockwork reference. When the main guy taps his cane on the floor, someone's about to get murdered/raped/assaulted whatver.

I haven't seen the Gravity video but I'll youtube it (when youtube's back on again). And that shot you talked about was the one that I said was filler. I hate it so much. It's so lazy and awful. I think that was the thing that convinced me that I could have done a better job on it if I'm honest, haha. It is one of those moments that makes you grimace. A clean cut would have looked so much better.

I guess the studio worked for what they were doing, but if they were doing more of a narrative ooooooh actually. They should have had it in a studio, but filming some scene of a movie and then the walls get moved away and he gets all fussed over by make up ladies and the crew are all wandering around and he's living this high life of a movie star blah blah blah.

Basically it needed another level.

Bah, I bet you could come up with something if you wanted to. Even it starts off as a little dance you do when you're listening to it at home and then you can work on it and make it into something bigger. Everybody has the potential to do whatever they want. :biggrin2:

I also studied media, that was for 4 years. What's the project thing Fangirl and Jazzy are on about? :aah:

I'll get Bianca to send you a group invite. I'm not sure if I can do it - she's the one who started the group.

We're throwing around some ideas to make some videos for Mika's songs. And if you did media for four years then you'll probably be an asset to our team. :biggrin2:

Jazzster, this is Sara's video where there's no editing in it

Okay, triple post spammage but...who cares?

That was a GREAT video. That's how it should be done, and the director of biotg maybe should have looked at this for his homework! That must have been so difficult and must have taken so much patience cos there were SO many people to co-ordinate and shooting it at night also mean that there are light issues so you need to NOT get the digi-lights or whatever in shot or any cables, wires, equipment in general and it's just really well done. Biotg only had Mika and some dancers to co-ordinate, though having said that, Mika isa bit of a handful :naughty::naughty:

I'll get Bianca to send you a group invite. I'm not sure if I can do it - she's the one who started the group.

We're throwing around some ideas to make some videos for Mika's songs. And if you did media for four years then you'll probably be an asset to our team.

I feel terrible! I haven't done anything! I'm only tiny, and all I have are ideas!

I haven't done Media, or anything! I feel pretty bad that I'm not that much of a help!:tears:

I quite liked the cane tapping, cos it REALLY fitted the sound. It was another Clockwork reference. When the main guy taps his cane on the floor, someone's about to get murdered/raped/assaulted whatver.

I haven't seen the Gravity video but I'll youtube it (when youtube's back on again). And that shot you talked about was the one that I said was filler. I hate it so much. It's so lazy and awful. I think that was the thing that convinced me that I could have done a better job on it if I'm honest, haha. It is one of those moments that makes you grimace. A clean cut would have looked so much better.

I guess the studio worked for what they were doing, but if they were doing more of a narrative ooooooh actually. They should have had it in a studio, but filming some scene of a movie and then the walls get moved away and he gets all fussed over by make up ladies and the crew are all wandering around and he's living this high life of a movie star blah blah blah.

Basically it needed another level.

Bah, I bet you could come up with something if you wanted to. Even it starts off as a little dance you do when you're listening to it at home and then you can work on it and make it into something bigger. Everybody has the potential to do whatever they want. :biggrin2:

I personally would have preferred it if there was just clapping lol. I gave you a YouTube link to Sara's video.

I think the video should have been a bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWQPhqYueo (I don't actually like any of The Feeling's videos, which is a shame because I like their music. This video could have been a lot better if there was more action to make it more gripping)

and forgive me for posting this, but it's another music vid with a noticeable storyline http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDUguztmFkQ

and both of these videos are dealt in a similar era.

Do you guys know what I mean? A storyline WOULD. HAVE. WORKED. Some dusky lighted movie set in the 1920's with mist. In a bar. It would have totally worked. Like the opening scene in Chicago with "All that jazz". Black and dark blue lighting.

Edited by CazGirl

Okay, triple post spammage but...who cares?

That was a GREAT video. That's how it should be done, and the director of biotg maybe should have looked at this for his homework! That must have been so difficult and must have taken so much patience cos there were SO many people to co-ordinate and shooting it at night also mean that there are light issues so you need to NOT get the digi-lights or whatever in shot or any cables, wires, equipment in general and it's just really well done. Biotg only had Mika and some dancers to co-ordinate, though having said that, Mika isa bit of a handful :naughty::naughty:

holy bejesus it's such a good video and it works because it works with the lyrics and the title of the song in a completely different way to what it's "supposed" to. Obviously the song is about loving someone who doesn't love you or is bad to you and/or for you, but not being able to/not wanting to let go. But the video actually deals with the element of space itself. It's very symbolic.

I feel terrible! I haven't done anything! I'm only tiny, and all I have are ideas!

I haven't done Media, or anything! I feel pretty bad that I'm not that much of a help!:tears:

Are you kidding me Fangirl??

"And all I have are ideas?" That is the most important part!!

Way up there on the priority list!

They NEED YOU!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Ideas are the basis on which great things are created! Don't worry! And besides, a couple of years ago I had as much expertise with an edit suite as an unconcious babboon, but now I'm pretty competent. Practice makes perfect and you have to start somewhere. Don't worry, we'll get you involved. :thumb_yello:

I personally would have preferred it if there was just clapping lol. I gave you a YouTube link to Sara's video.

I think the video should have been a bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWQPhqYueo (I don't actually like any of The Feeling's videos, which is a shame because I like their music. This video could have been a lot better if there was more action to make it more gripping)

and forgive me for posting this, but it's another music vid with a noticeable storyline http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDUguztmFkQ

and both of these videos are dealt in a similar era.

Do you guys know what I mean? A storyline WOULD. HAVE. WORKED. Some dusky lighted movie set in the 1920's with mist. In a bar. It would have totally worked. Like the opening scene in Chicago with "All that jazz". Black and dark blue lighting.

Yeah I saw the youtube link after. :aah: I can't watch either of them at the minute because youtube's being rubbish but as soon as I can I'll give you my (un)professional opinion on them, hahaha.

A storyline WOULD have made it so much better. And there's so much potential for storylines with that song, it's not like...I dunno, My Interpretation where a decent story line would be quite difficult to piece together, cos yes, you could have the breaking down of a relationship blah blah but that's waaay too average for Mika. Biotg creates a character, so you can put this guy in whatever setting you like and still get the meaning of the song across.

I dunno if you saw my idea earlier about Mika haunting this guy and driving him nuts but I had this massively clear image of Mika serving him in a restaurant and the guy not paying any attention to him whatsoever and not noticing it's him, being total pain in the bum and then leaving him a 20p tip, walking out, then looking back through the window and seeing him, continuing his descent into madness. But then after that this heavily made up old lady with a tragic taste in clothes (you know the type, I'm sure, with the dyed red hair and the chunky rings a garish prints) leaving him a massive tip and then waving to him on the way out and Mika forcing a smile and waving back. Apart from comic value, it also gets across the whole 'beautiful people aren't always the nicest ones' message, which is always a valuable one.

holy bejesus it's such a good video and it works because it works with the lyrics and the title of the song in a completely different way to what it's "supposed" to. Obviously the song is about loving someone who doesn't love you or is bad to you and/or for you, but not being able to/not wanting to let go. But the video actually deals with the element of space itself. It's very symbolic.

It totally works, with all the balloons and the light from the bicycles streaking out behind as they go past like shooting stars. The song didn't MASSIVELY grab me, it's pretty, and it's a good song, but it's not something I'd personally have on my iPod, but the video and the song fit so well together.

Have you seen that scene in Notting Hill where Hugh Grant's walking through Portobello market and the seasons change and it's all one shot and it's just the MOST gorgeous thing ever. I think it might be my favourite shot of all time from any film. You'd probably like it (if you haven't already seen it).

A storyline WOULD have made it so much better. And there's so much potential for storylines with that song, it's not like...I dunno, My Interpretation where a decent story line would be quite difficult to piece together, cos yes, you could have the breaking down of a relationship blah blah but that's waaay too average for Mika. Biotg creates a character, so you can put this guy in whatever setting you like and still get the meaning of the song across.

I dunno if you saw my idea earlier about Mika haunting this guy and driving him nuts but I had this massively clear image of Mika serving him in a restaurant and the guy not paying any attention to him whatsoever and not noticing it's him, being total pain in the bum and then leaving him a 20p tip, walking out, then looking back through the window and seeing him, continuing his descent into madness. But then after that this heavily made up old lady with a tragic taste in clothes (you know the type, I'm sure, with the dyed red hair and the chunky rings a garish prints) leaving him a massive tip and then waving to him on the way out and Mika forcing a smile and waving back. Apart from comic value, it also gets across the whole 'beautiful people aren't always the nicest ones' message, which is always a valuable one.

That's the main thing about this song: CHARACTER. I wouldn't mind if Mika followed a couple round the bar or a different setting (but keeping the grim 20's era, but perhaps Mika in colour) and Mika acting as narrator while there's this huge storyline going on. And the narrator could be dressed up as just an extra in the video, like the outsider looking in. Gosh, our idea is epic.

It totally works, with all the balloons and the light from the bicycles streaking out behind as they go past like shooting stars. The song didn't MASSIVELY grab me, it's pretty, and it's a good song, but it's not something I'd personally have on my iPod, but the video and the song fit so well together.

That's what I love so much about the video, that they've taken everyday objects and kept them looking normal but giving them so much symbolism.

Have you seen that scene in Notting Hill where Hugh Grant's walking through Portobello market and the seasons change and it's all one shot and it's just the MOST gorgeous thing ever. I think it might be my favourite shot of all time from any film. You'd probably like it (if you haven't already seen it).

No I've not seen that, but it sounds really pretty.

That's the main thing about this song: CHARACTER. I wouldn't mind if Mika followed a couple round the bar or a different setting (but keeping the grim 20's era, but perhaps Mika in colour) and Mika acting as narrator while there's this huge storyline going on. And the narrator could be dressed up as just an extra in the video, like the outsider looking in. Gosh, our idea is epic.

That's what I love so much about the video, that they've taken everyday objects and kept them looking normal but giving them so much symbolism.

No I've not seen that, but it sounds really pretty.

I don't think I ever really thought of it being 20s style but now you mention it it just conjures up SO much imagery that I don't want to let go of it. And Mika being in colour would be super cool - editing wise I'm not sure how you'd do that, probably shoot him on blue screen then pop him in with everyone else. Although would be a shame to lose all those rich colours from the smoky jazz club. You know what I'm chatting about, the deep red velvet curtains with the gold holdbacks, the fancy table cloths, the orange glow of the little lamps on the tables...argh! I want to film this!

I really loved the umbrellas opening up on the beat, like little mini supernovas, it was really nice. :wub2:

I'll try and find it when youtube's back up and running again. It's a gorgeous piece of cinema, it really is.

Ideas are the basis on which great things are created! Don't worry! And besides, a couple of years ago I had as much expertise with an edit suite as an unconcious babboon, but now I'm pretty competent. Practice makes perfect and you have to start somewhere. Don't worry, we'll get you involved. :thumb_yello:

Thanks! :blush-anim-cl:

You people are too nice...

I think I've seen that bit! It's nice, isn't it?

It's gorgeous idd, not my favorite ever (that's reserved for the ice dance in edward scissorhands :wub2:).

The notting hill scene :wub2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOzpULmEhQI

It's gorgeous idd, not my favorite ever (that's reserved for the ice dance in edward scissorhands :wub2:).

The notting hill scene :wub2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOzpULmEhQI

I don't think I ever watched Edward Scissorhands all the way through. It freaked me out a little bit..but I was 8 so maybe it's time to give it another go, haha.

I don't think I ever really thought of it being 20s style but now you mention it it just conjures up SO much imagery that I don't want to let go of it. And Mika being in colour would be super cool - editing wise I'm not sure how you'd do that, probably shoot him on blue screen then pop him in with everyone else. Although would be a shame to lose all those rich colours from the smoky jazz club. You know what I'm chatting about, the deep red velvet curtains with the gold holdbacks, the fancy table cloths, the orange glow of the little lamps on the tables...argh! I want to film this!

Yeah I've no idea how you'd do that either, but in my head it just fits. I don't want to lose that clockwork orange/20's thing that Mika's got going on because it suits him so well, IMO. Plus not every music video needs to be modern. I think little bits could be in colour. Like the little lamps maybe. But I think it should predominantly be black and white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlP89pMc3UM&NR=1

There we go Caz. It's MASSIVELY good. And it's at the same place(ish) where we went to Mika's pub party! Lovely!

Ooooh! Thanks for the link peoples. I did like that scene, very cinematic but not...commercial. It was...artistic.

That's what BIOTG was trying to be, I think. Artistic. But it failed.

I don't think I ever watched Edward Scissorhands all the way through. It freaked me out a little bit..but I was 8 so maybe it's time to give it another go, haha.

Oh I've watched for as long I can remember :wub2: But I know what you mean, tim burton movies can have that effect. I didn't dare to watch 'the nightmare before christmas' when I was little :aah:

Here's the scene I was talking about, tho I think the magic's lost a bit if you didn't see the whole movie.

Oh I've watched for as long I can remember :wub2: But I know what you mean, tim burton movies can have that effect. I didn't dare to watch 'the nightmare before christmas' when I was little :aah:

Here's the scene I was talking about, tho I think the magic's lost a bit if you didn't see the whole movie.

I'm not getting the Edward Scissorhands reference, care to explain?