NY Daily News: Mika's 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much': flouncy pop lacks real bounce

dcdeb

(Ed. Note: Ooooh, I'm part of a CULT! ;) )

stars_2.0.gif

by Jim Farber

If music were crayons, Mika would use every one in the box.

A rainbow explosion of sound scribbles through his songs, blinding the listener with high gloss piano chords, busy back up vocals, and melodies that scream in technicolor.

If that's not enough, Mika's lavender gush of a voice has such campy and elastic flair, he makes Freddie Mercury sound like Johnny Cash.

It doesn't take a music critic to locate the importance of Mercury in Mika's creative constellation. The opening song on the singer's new CD, "We Are Golden," pivots on the sort of faux operatic choruses Queen pioneered back in the day - only with an added kiddie choir to make matters even more blatantly silly.

Mika also shares an outsider's background with Mercury; The younger singer was born in Beirut, the elder in Zanzibar.

Mika's Queen-connection - along with the sheer foofiness of his whole project - has struck a deep chord in the singer's native U.K., as well as in Europe. Overseas his sort of froth goes over far better than in the more uptight and macho States. In fact, almost everywhere but in the U.S., Mika's debut CD topped the charts. Here it drew only a cult audience.

That's unlikely to change with "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" - and not just because Americans have a tough time with this kind of light-in-its-loafers pop. It's also because the album isn't as catchy as it tries to be. Ultimately, Mika's songs have far more pep than melodic appeal.

There's a certain inventiveness to Mika's arrangements - from the opening rock opera blast of "We Are Golden" to the mosaic sound the singer concocted for a hymn to his psychiatrist: "Dr. John." For added splash, "Blame It on the Girls" even throws in a dash of tango.

Mika deserves extra points for throwing his many-octave voice around with such gleeful abandon. It's also smart that he slyly slipped so many downer lyrics beneath the aural daffiness.

But the truth is, another Brit-pop star - Robbie Williams - has refigured this kind of post-Queen flounce with far more bounce. As colorful as Mika's palette may be, his most crucial element - his tunes - still sound drab.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2009/09/29/2009-09-29_mikas_the_boy_who_knew_too_much_.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YEHHH we love him over here , Queen gave up on breaking the USA in the end , especially after Freddie bounced around in the I want to break free video in false boobs:roftl:

But hmmm isnt the album doing well over there hmmmm?

2 is just not balanced

I trust DcDeb to single handley turn this around state side

Jim Farber get your head out of your arse.

Not just because I am a Mika fan.

Not just because I don't agrre with you.

Not just because what you wrote ticked me off.

I have read enough reviews to accept that TBWKTM is a "good" album with interesting lyrics & music.

I love it no matter what anybody says.

But there are enough qualified people out there who have written some very interesting things about TBWKTM.

What you wrote here doesn't come anywhere near an actual professional review.

YEHHH we love him over here , Queen gave up on breaking the USA in the end , especially after Freddie bounced around in the I want to break free video in false boobs:roftl:

:lmfao: I loved that video so much!

But hmmm isnt the album doing well over there hmmmm?

2 is just not balanced

I trust DcDeb to single handley turn this around state side

:naughty: Hmmm, let's see -- I have the iTunes version of the album,

plus the deluxe US version, plus the standard US version

(not to mention the deluxe UK version, but I guess that doesn't help

US sales...), the iTunes version of the single, plus I'm going to the NY show...

Everyone I know now knows who Mika is, at the expense of my reputation

(they all think I'm :insane:!)... I've even gotten my spinning instructor

to use Mika's music in class...

I'm trying, Mika, I'm trying! :blush-anim-cl:

But the US is such a big place! :blink:

:hair: seriously, have reporters not had enough with the Queen references by now??!!

"Americans have a tough time with this kind of light-in-its-loafers pop. It's also because the album isn't as catchy as it tries to be."

That's not really reflected in the album sales, now is it Jim?:teehee:

Sorry, but I have read MANY reviews from this guy, and he always has the same arrogant attitude towards anything that is remotely pop. He needs to stick to radiohead reviews.

Foofiness- hope it's a real word and not a typo- I love it!

Does this guy seriously thinlk that Europe is overwhelmed with inane lighthearted music while only America likes its music deep and meaningful?

And Beirut/Zanzibar- he's right, they're both foreign, no need to be over picky about titchy differences

I don't know WHAT Jim was listening to!!! What a ****er!!!! :rolls_eyes: When I am in NYC - I am going to hunt him down and make him listen to my Mp3 player again . . I need a second opinion! :naughty:

aaahhhh the U.S. what can I say? I guess I am just gonna be in a cult for the REST of my life - cause we all know America is never gonna fully accept Meeks! That is just the way it is! THEIR LOSS! I like my MFC cult! :teehee: