Blame It On The Girls Video

racinghorse83

He is brave and he is creative enough to make a video like this which goes against so many “new-video-rules”!:naughty:

The only rules he’s following, creatively, are his own and I love his work for that!:wub2:

ditto! :biggrin2::wink2:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is brave and he is creative enough to make a video like this which goes against so many “new-video-rules”!:naughty:

The only rules he’s following, creatively, are his own and I love his work for that!:wub2:

What new video rules?

If you want to make the girls look like they're doing a Busby Berkeley routine then it should be properly synchronized. That's what creates the effect and it's lost otherwise and just looks like bad dancing. If you want to be truly creative you don't rip off Busby Berkeley routines in the first place IMO. If they want the girls to dance freestyle then have them dancing freestyle. Not doing a synchronized routine that fails to synchronize.

And putting in footage where he's actually singing the wrong lines...you don't seriously think that was done for the sake of innovation? It's just plain sloppy IMO.

There are a lot of positives in this video and some things I don't like such as the orange are simply a matter of taste, but dismissing the bad dance routines and other flaws as brave creative license? :blink:

I liked the video the first time I saw it today.

I have watched it quite a few times since then & I like it even more!

Some of the things pointed out here that people don't like I find helps the vid.

There is something nagging at the just "out of reach" part in my memory.

I am beginning to think this vid reminds me of a movie or collection of or a specific pop artist.

I don't know which.

I am really looking forward to & hoping that Mika will talk about his vision of this vid.

Kudos Mika! You did it again!

I also think this vid could garner a Grammy nomination - Shock! shock!

I know that won't sit well with some of you.

We will see!?!?

I apologize for "quoting" myself - but - I finally found something nudged my memory of what the BIOTG vid reminds me of - Perez Hilton posted the vid on his web page & said, "It's Busby Berkeley meets A Clockwork Orange with Katy Perry meets Feist!

That is what I couldn't grasp.

I am not that familiar with Fiest but I get the Busby Berkeley meets A Clockwork Orange connection.

Thanks Perez!

BIOTG Vid has 12,452 views at PerezHilton compared to Lady GaGa's 500 views posted around the same time.

Yea Mika! Kudos!

The majority of comments are also very positive!

:toot::woot_jump::woot_jump::toot:

Edited by Kodes100

But do we really know that this wasn’t supposed to be that way?

I don’t know but this is Mika, a perfectionist in so many ways, and to choreograph this group to perfection, how hard can it be?

I don’t actually know, I’m not a dancer. :wink2:

Honestly Sienna, this dancing is so simple. They're even doing SPRING BALLCHANGES, that's what 4 years olds do when learning their primary steps. Seriously. This dance is so easy it shouldn't be hard to perfect at all. And maybe they are good dancers, but it doesn't come to light with this choreography. Honestly, why on Earth would you mix Fosse type moves with 1960's rave? Seriously! It...just shouldn't happen.

And I agree that sometimes it doesn't *need* to look professional to look good, but when you're doing a music video you do kinda mean business, y'know? And it depends on the type of dance. This is quite a...well, I don't want to say technical because it's not difficult in the slightest, but it's just full of little moves. It COULD be technical and SHOULD have been.

The only thing I can compare it to is Kyle Minogue's dancing in "I Just Can't Get You Outta My Head." at 1:40

THAT's technical. THAT'S professional. THAT'S what it should have looked like and it just ended up looking like some sort of bad-try-too-hard-dance school.

It should have been about the small technical stuff, sharp movements, clean cut moves, patterns and slick timing. The dancing in BIOTG just wasn't slick.

In my opinion :dunno:

Edited by CazGirl

Just passing by to kick my opinion. lol

Well... I gotta say, I hated We Are Golden video, and it was a big desilusion for me cause I love the song a lot and then I hater the video. But Blame It On The Girls is my favourite song from de CD, so I was all scared that I'd not like the video too.

I saw it once and I wasn't sure... too weird moves that I quite don't like and I seemed like it missed something. I watched it again and then all over again and I digged it!

I saw that there is a lot of people here not liking it. Though I really love it right now. Kinda annoying dance moves but when I get up of my chair and I sing it and dance a bit like him I understand that it's just PURE fun! LOL!

I LOVE the all classy thing, the outfit he is wearing is gorgeous, I just can't say enough!! I love the Clockword Orange movie, and those seconds between 1:22 and 1:33 are just SO Clockwork Orange. LOVED IT! It made me remember Blur video for Universal. lol! Love the way he moves in those seconds, all 'i'm better than you' way, lol!The thing in his hand that it's pink and looks like nothing (lol) it's cool and gives so much style to the outfit... I mean, I love the british gentleman style, just amazing and the pink things in it make it even more amazing, more stylish. Really, really cool!

The talking at the beggining... well. here I go again... I just love the british gentleman thing. So it's all said there. The girls in the girl/boy outfit... well, the dance could be better, but I like the idea and I like the outfit, so it's kinda cool too. Then, there's that much more to say... I don't like the end part, because he is moving too weirder and well, I think that it doesn't get that he is already weird, it doesn't get to make himself even weirder. I like weird, I like Mika being weird, I just don't like TOO weird. lol!

But, hey! I'm happy, cause I liked the video, it is still not as cool as Happy Ending but well... it's Mika and it's Blame It On The Girls so it's alright. Love the song, love the video, love the guy! It is enough to make me happy :P

Honestly Sienna, this dancing is so simple. They're even doing SPRING BALLCHANGES, that's what 4 years olds do when learning their primary steps. Seriously. This dance is so easy it shouldn't be hard to perfect at all. And maybe they are good dancers, but it doesn't come to light with this choreography. Honestly, why on Earth would you mix Fosse type moves with 1960's rave? Seriously! It...just shouldn't happen.

And I agree that sometimes it doesn't *need* to look professional to look good, but when you're doing a music video you do kinda mean business, y'know? And it depends on the type of dance. This is quite a...well, I don't want to say technical because it's not difficult in the slightest, but it's just full of little moves. It COULD be technical and SHOULD have been.

The only thing I can compare it to is Kyle Minogue's dancing in "I Just Can't Get You Outta My Head." at 1:40

THAT's technical. THAT'S professional. THAT'S what it should have looked like and it just ended up looking like some sort of bad-try-too-hard-dance school.

It should have been about the small technical stuff, sharp movements, clean cut moves, patterns and slick timing. The dancing in BIOTG just wasn't slick.

In my opinion :dunno:

I understand your opinion, I even share it. I like the song but expected more from the video. I'm a bit unsatisfied now, to be honest. Compared to Lollipop (which I find the best vid of Mika) this is... I don't really have a good word to describe it. It's not that I hate the vid and think the dance moves are the worst EVER, I'd just other imaginations about the vid.

But on the other side, I think Mika would never make a vid because he has too or whatsoever. I think he has thoroughly thought about this, at least I hope so. Yes, I am slightly dissapointed, but also happy he made a new video. I hope the next vid will be a better one! :thumb_yello:

I understand your opinion, I even share it. I like the song but expected more from the video. I'm a bit unsatisfied now, to be honest. Compared to Lollipop (which I find the best vid of Mika) this is... I don't really have a good word to describe it. It's not that I hate the vid and think the dance moves are the worst EVER, I'd just other imaginations about the vid.

But on the other side, I think Mika would never make a vid because he has too or whatsoever. I think he has thoroughly thought about this, at least I hope so. Yes, I am slightly dissapointed, but also happy he made a new video. I hope the next vid will be a better one! :thumb_yello:

Well if Mika's happy with it, then he's happy with it. And there are plenty of fans happy with it too. I liked the *idea* of it and I have absolutely no problem with Mika's performance at all, in fact he was the only good thing in it (maybes besides that dodgy chair dance at the beginning) I just have massive issues with the dancing/dancers and the editing. And the overall look to be honest, because it could have been so much better. It just didn't reach its full potential in my eyes.

Well if Mika's happy with it, then he's happy with it. And there are plenty of fans happy with it too. I liked the *idea* of it and I have absolutely no problem with Mika's performance at all, in fact he was the only good thing in it (maybes besides that dodgy chair dance at the beginning) I just have massive issues with the dancing/dancers and the editing. And the overall look to be honest, because it could have been so much better. It just didn't reach its full potential in my eyes.

Yeah, you're totally right! (Or, at least, in my eyes :wink2:). Believe me, I've seen much worse videos, I guess you've all done. I hoped for a bit more story-like video, some filthy rich guy who comes up to Mika and then Mika does his talks, etc. I like Mika's outfit, am in fond of his stick (which he turns in a sexy way somewhere at 00:16 :teehee:) and the way how the left en right wall are being slid away. The dancers are a -1 point due their outfit which I've seen too much form ms. Perry and Mika's hair, which is rubbed tightly to one side..

Well, this was what I meant….the dancers on BIOTG don’t do a good job from a professional dancing perspective, they are not in sync…but maybe…and this is only a completely wild guess from me…this was meant to be?:wink2:

I would also like too add that I’m sure you can see so much more than I can when it comes to the dancing.

We always see different things depending on our references, don’t we?

That I can agree with, the first time I watched it I thought for a moment I was watching the making of BIOTG!:wink2:

Well, this was what I meant….the dancers on BIOTG don’t do a good job from a professional dancing perspective, they are not in sync…but maybe…and this is only a completely wild guess from me…this was meant to be?:wink2:

I would also like too add that I’m sure you can see so much more than I can when it comes to the dancing.

That I can agree with, the first time I watched it I thought for a moment I was watching the making of BIOTG!:wink2:

And that's what I find a complete disaster of the video! I'm not really in fond of dancers in a video, even if they don't dance properly at the same time! I think this is done on purpose, otherwise I would have been shot over and over, until everybody danced in sync...

And that's what I find a complete disaster of the video! I'm not really in fond of dancers in a video, even if they don't dance properly at the same time! I think this is done on purpose, otherwise I would have been shot over and over, until everybody danced in sync...

i absolutely love dancing in music videos, but only if it goes with the song. I don't think dancing necessarily goes with BIOTG, but it totally does with Rain.

i absolutely love dancing in music videos, but only if it goes with the song. I don't think dancing necessarily goes with BIOTG, but it totally does with Rain.

Well, there's a difference between dancing and dancing... When you take a good look to all those rappers you know what kind of dancing that is! And that's exactly the type of dancing I don't like... When dancers dance in a very professional way, I could find it very beautiful! :wink2:

I agree- I'm not sure the idea worked, but I do think it was probably a deliberate "work in progress" effect rather than a failure to rehearse the dancers. Actually, not so much that the idea didn't work but that it was spread too thinly with too much screen time given to the dancers.

And- can I say again- I thought Mika looked really hot! Such a devilish smile.

What new video rules?

If you want to make the girls look like they're doing a Busby Berkeley routine then it should be properly synchronized. That's what creates the effect and it's lost otherwise and just looks like bad dancing. If you want to be truly creative you don't rip off Busby Berkeley routines in the first place IMO. If they want the girls to dance freestyle then have them dancing freestyle. Not doing a synchronized routine that fails to synchronize.

And putting in footage where he's actually singing the wrong lines...you don't seriously think that was done for the sake of innovation? It's just plain sloppy IMO.

There are a lot of positives in this video and some things I don't like such as the orange are simply a matter of taste, but dismissing the bad dance routines and other flaws as brave creative license? :blink:

Your question is absolutely plausible :teehee: I did express myself in a bit of a shallow way.

I’ll try to explain:

Many new videos have some common similarities, various camera angels, lot’s of fast clips, sometimes so fast that you can’t really see the pictures without watching several times, high tempo and often a change of location.

BIOTG is different in that perspective.

I apologize on the ground that I am in no way an expert on new videos, far from it, and maybe it sounded a little superficial to make a statement like that? :wink2:

Only a wild guess Christine, a suggestion!:roftl:

I want to spend a lifetime being his microphone at every one of his gigs.

:lmfao:

But do we really know that this wasn’t supposed to be that way?

I don’t know but this is Mika, a perfectionist in so many ways, and to choreograph this group to perfection, how hard can it be?

I understand what you mean .... what if he wanted the video to look like a rehearsal for a show / deliberately wanted it to look more genuine, like a group of students creating choreography for the song?..:cool:

:teehee:

I still think the video will work perfectly for the song and will get a lot of play on tv.

I usually don't like watching his videos but I love WAG and I like watching this one as well because of he does seem to have full control of his own act.

Well, there's a difference between dancing and dancing... When you take a good look to all those rappers you know what kind of dancing that is! And that's exactly the type of dancing I don't like... When dancers dance in a very professional way, I could find it very beautiful! :wink2:

Okay well this is professional dancing. They're a Korean band called "DBSK" and they're amazing because they're so versatile. Please keep watching the video because the music changes it's style a few times. Plus, look at how they perform; they're neat, tidy, sharp, clean cut...they have very good spacial awareness and perfectly in time with each other. They work together.

I know you can't compare this dance to BIOTG because they're completely different styles. But it doesn't matter what style you do, whether it be urban, jazz, salsa, tap, ballet or contemporary...dancing is all about working together and creating a vision.

Like this other video for example (it's the dance shot version). It's nothing like BIOTG style or even the above video's style, but it's technical and just very clever. There are several people in this group and it's hard to co-ordinate dancers when there's quite a number sometimes, but just look at the patterning and the way it all joins together! Love or hate the dance, you have to admit that it's cleverly done. And watch the bit at 1:45 where they do a canon bit. The person in front has to know their timing PERFECTLY in order for it to sync well and it goes EXACTLY how a canon SHOULD go. The girls couldn't do it in BIOTG and they could look to see when it was their turn to move. The girls can't see what's going on behind them in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2WpUYuies

And these girls aren't even professionals.

and I just wanna learn this dance so badly lol :naughty:

Edited by CazGirl

:lmfao:

I understand what you mean .... what if he wanted the video to look like a rehearsal for a show / deliberately wanted it to look more genuine, like a group of students creating choreography for the song?..:cool:

I still think the video will work perfectly for the song and will get a lot of play on tv.

I usually don't like watching his videos but I love WAG and I like watching this one as well because of he does seem to have full control of his own act.

It’s an interesting thought!:thumb_yello:

Before he released WAG we had heard him talk about it in radio interviews…with this one we don’t have a clue what his thoughts behind it might be.

I would love to know that!:wink2:

if he wanted it to look like a rehearsal then in my opinion, there should have been more "behind the scene" shots to get that message across clearer, or have people come on and do a bit of hair and makeup or whatever.

Okay well this is professional dancing. They're a Korean band called "DBSK" and they're amazing because they're so versatile. Please keep watching the video because the music changes it's style a few times. Plus, look at how they perform; they're neat, tidy, sharp, clean cut...they have very good spacial awareness and perfectly in time with each other. They work together.

I know you can't compare this dance to BIOTG because they're completely different styles. But it doesn't matter what style you do, whether it be urban, jazz, salsa, tap, ballet or contemporary...dancing is all about working together and creating a vision.

Like this other video for example (it's the dance shot version). It's nothing like BIOTG style or even the above video's style, but it's technical and just very clever. There are several people in this group and it's hard to co-ordinate dancers when there's quite a number sometimes, but just look at the patterning and the way it all joins together! Love or hate the dance, you have to admit that it's cleverly done. And watch the bit at 1:45 where they do a canon bit. The person in front has to know their timing PERFECTLY in order for it to sync well and it goes EXACTLY how a canon SHOULD go. The girls couldn't do it in BIOTG and they could look to see when it was their turn to move. The girls can't see what's going on behind them in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn2WpUYuies

And these girls aren't even professionals.

and I just wanna learn this dance so badly lol :naughty:

Yeah, you're right. There's nothing more left to say, only that you're completely right :aah:. It's as pity though, the video has to go like this...

Yeah, you're right. There's nothing more left to say, only that you're completely right :aah:. It's as pity though, the video has to go like this...

did you even watch the videos? :roftl::roftl:

Sorry, I'm just winding myself up even more. I'm not a professional dancer myself but I've been doing it for 16 years and it's definitely a passion of mine. I just hate watching something that could be so much better. Argh, frustrating.

I can easily ignore dancing skills in this Mika video :teehee: For me, it's just not important. It's really a minor thing when I watch his vids. I like to see him dancing/moving, I just love the way he does it. There's always so much energy and joy in his moving :wub2: I guess people appreciate different kind of things. In this vid I love the atmosphere, colors, style, images that stay in my head. There must be a story behind those dancers, and I really want to hear it, but at the moment their dancing skills don't bother me at all. This vid gives me a happy feeling and I'm just curious to hear his thoughts. I'm afraid I'm just too old :teehee: I used to watch poorly made unprofessional music vids long time ago :wink2: