Blame It On The Girls Video

racinghorse83

Well, I think it is just normal that even we fans (or should I say "some"/"many" fans) don't like everything Mika does (or let's put it that way: that we don't like everything he does as much as all the other things he does.). I mean, everyone of us has their own ideas and images in our head when listening to Mika's music and has different expectations on how the vid is gonna be like.

As for me, I really like the BIOTG vid. But that is just my subjective view.

(I didn't like the Happy ending vid for instance). Others are totally entitled to have a different opinon. And I don't think Mika would be offended if he found out someone doesn't like a particular vid he did (for a particular reason this person has in mind) .

Besides, I think it's even kind of dangerous to say "That was so amazing!" to every single thing he does/says/wears etc. At least for me this is/would be way too much of an adoration.

And I don't see why anyone wouldn't be supporting Mika just because you don't like one vid for example. :wink2:

It's all about the whole of Mika's little universe we're caught in. And as for that I can say that so far there hasn't been the littlelest thing that would make me leave this place. :thumb_yello:

Yeah, very well explained, Mariposa. I fully agree

niiice

I think he should start by trying one- and see how that works...

I think that if he also had a bit more time, and wasnt in such a rush with a next single (which I have no clue why that happened anyways) the clip wouldve came out better...

Yes, I also got the feeling that the second single is coming out sort of rushed, but then what do I know...And if Rain is the new single in the UK (which is what he told us the other day) then why is this video coming out now? Is there no video to Rain? Is it made yet?

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, very well explained, Mariposa. I fully agree

Yes, I also got the feeling that the second single is coming out sort of rushed, but then what do I know...And if Rain is the new single in the UK (which is what he told us the other day) then why is this video coming out now? Is there no video to Rain? Is it made yet?

either way- with the Rain clip he should take his time- if BIOTG is a result of rushness...

I am now way more interested to see what he is going to do with rain... what idea for it he has in mind...

I think the framing of the shots is brilliant because there's a variety of overlapping stuff going on, but it's blocked in a way that you can see all of it clearly. At first glance it just looks busy, but the brain still picks up on it, so that on subsequent viewing more details become apparent. The fact that it's visually interesting means that it stands up to multiple viewings, which important since video clips tend to get played over and over during the promotion of a single/album.

I like the use of color, specifically the fact that it has the visual style of something that was filmed in black and white, then digitally colorized. It gives it the feel of something that's old school being dragged into the present. It also draws the eye to specific elements of the frame.

I like that the dancers aren't in sync because it goes with the fact that their costumes aren't identical. It hints at a world in which people are supposed to fit into specific social norms, yet still fail to be identical, which alludes to the Clockwork Orange/Cabaret feel of the video.

I like the multiple TV screens for a similar reason. The video has a strong cohesive artistic vision that is supported by the seeming dissociative feel of the elements in it. It grates on purpose while having just enough polish to make it seem like it shouldn't, much the way counter-cultural works do.

It isn't just alluding to Clockwork Orange and Cabaret with the costuming and obvious elements. It's also making use of that execution, though it's been translated from a full length production to a 3.5 minute video.

So, I understand why people don't like it and why they think it's poorly executed, but I think that those are very reasons it works.

I'm totally cool with people disagreeing with me because the very elements I've pointed out can be valid arguments for why it wouldn't work in a 3.5 minute format. People have already strongly supported those points and I understand them even though I don't agree with them.

I'm NOT cool with people making sweeping generalizations about how those elements are going to ruin the song for other people and drive away potential fans and how nobody could ever say it's an awesome video because those generalizations are demonstrably NOT TRUE.

You may disagree with the points I've made, but they are valid points and I could support them with visual design theory and other such learnings, but I don't think that would be interesting for many people to read (and it would be so long that most people wouldn't bother.) I have many other points I didn't even mention because this post is too long as it is and I really only wrote as a brief overview to illustrate my point that the sweeping generalizations are not productive even though the specific points are (whether I agree with them or not.)

But .. what do the Clockwork Orange/Cabaret allusions add to our interpretation of the song itself? The average viewer isn't even going to pick up on these, or the finer nuances of visual design (which I think are accidental rather than deliberate).

Your average viewer is going to say "Oh it's that gay bloke in a pink hat with those dancers with the weird costumes".

I thought it was a little rushed too. I didn't even know there was a video until about 30 minutes ag. I wasn't expecting it for quite a while. :blink:

But, that said, I absolutely adore it. I could give you a second by second detailed review of the parts I love and why but I don't think anyone wants to hear it :naughty:

IMO it's better than WAG, video and song :thumb_yello:

I was totally shocked when I first saw it and I'm still kinda speechless. theres a lot going on but it's all great. :wub2:

But .. what do the Clockwork Orange/Cabaret allusions add to our interpretation of the song itself? The average viewer isn't even going to pick up on these, or the finer nuances of visual design (which I think are accidental rather than deliberate).

Even when I pick up on allusions I don't find that it necessarily adds anything. It's one thing when pieces of his songs end up sounding like this artist or that song. It is an inevitable accident if you want to create mainstream pop music all these decades after it's been invented.

But I don't see the inherent value in intentionally going out and copying someone else's work in video and film where the boundaries are limitless. :dunno:

I also got the feeling that the second single is coming out sort of rushed, but then what do I know...And if Rain is the new single in the UK (which is what he told us the other day) then why is this video coming out now? Is there no video to Rain? Is it made yet?[/color]

yes, that's what I don't understand, either... :dunno:

This video was a UK premier, wasn't it? So I guess it only means that the next single in the UK will be BIOTG and he was simply confused in which country he will release which song as next single... After all, at the Scala gig he said BIOTG would be the next single in the UK...

Also, I think he twitted that there was a 2-day shooting for the video. However, this one does not really look like one that took 2 days to film, so perhaps Rain has already been filmed as well....

Perhaps it's the same setting but they are dancing around with pink umbrellas....:mf_rosetinted:

yes, that's what I don't understand, either... :dunno:

This video was a UK premier, wasn't it? So I guess it only means that the next single in the UK will be BIOTG and he was simply confused in which country he will release which song as next single... After all, at the Scala gig he said BIOTG would be the next single in the UK...

Also, I think he twitted that there was a 2-day shooting for the video. However, this one does not really look like one that took 2 days to film, so perhaps Rain has already been filmed as well....

Perhaps it's the same setting but they are dancing around with pink umbrellas....:mf_rosetinted:

I'm wondering about the rain video too. Maybe rain will be a performance video? Which I actually hope? Would love to see one of those, a bit like relax :)

Yes! It's amazing! Linky linky please thanks! :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

I thought you might like it... took some time to find too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160367070711

well, it says white derby hat, so it could be the lighting of the photography, but I think its baby pink and the messed up title... :dunno:

I'm wondering about the rain video too. Maybe rain will be a performance video? Which I actually hope? Would love to see one of those, a bit like relax :)

Performance...with rain? And Mika gets all wet? :teehee:

I'm gonna be having sweet dreams tonight!

First, I think you give the average viewer far too little credit, especially given how widely known those two works are in popular culture. Even people who have never seen them will recognize the bowler hat and dual gender outfits. The fact that he subvert those visual cues would draw even more attention.

Second, I think you've mistaken the average viewer for the internet troll. As vocal as the trolls are, they do not represent the majority of the people who will be viewing this video.

It's quite possible that I give people far too much credit because most of my friends are highly educated about the arts, but my mom is the most artistically retarded person I know and even SHE got most of the references and thought it was a neat video.

Whether people respond to it positively or negatively, I think they will respond to it strongly. I think that's what it was designed for.

I'm not trying to change your mind. I am merely supporting my arguments because I hate it when people think I'm just some drooling fangirl who doesn't have valid artistic reasons for liking something and only does so because she's a fangirl. I AM a fangirl, but I woudln't be if I didn't have valid artistic reasons for it. I despise the bland. Mika can be accused of many things, but I think people are hard-pressed to support an accusation of blandness (though I've never seen the people who make that accusation try to support it.)

Edited to add: I forgot to address your point about what it adds to our understanding of the song. Not all videos are designed to add to a person's understanding of a song. In fact, in the 80's many videos had nothing to do with the meaning of the song, which adds to the old school feel of this video.

May I ask who these trolls are that you are alluding to? :shocked:

I didn't really analyze the video...just kind of let myself try to enjoy it and see how it made me feel.

I did find it slow. The set reminded me of the Love Today video. Those chair-posing dance moves were overdone. I wanted more up-tempo moves to match the the song and clapping that the song is associated with.

I enjoyed the novelty of watching it and it satisfied my curiosity. But I haven't been in the mood to watch it again (like I did with his other videos).

So overall, it made me feel....meh.

AHH!! I didnt know it was coming out so soon! When?!?!

this morning... 13 hours ago... *Im sorry- I cant find the link, Im sure someone can find it in a snap though :blush-anim-cl:)

I enjoyed the novelty of watching it and it satisfied my curiosity. But I haven't been in the mood to watch it again (like I did with his other videos).

So overall, it made me feel....meh.

AH! the words I was looking for!