Blame It On The Girls Video

racinghorse83

The word I would use is "amateurish". A lot of his videos look like the sort of thing art students come up with when they first start (sorry if I've offended any art students :naughty:)

I'm in film school and I'm not offended, I agree with you :naughty:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...how about the song itself?.....:wink2:/QUOTE]

sounds stupid, but a music video can make or break a song. If you don't like the video then you can end up disliking the song because you associate the song with the images you see in the video (if you're an outsider looking in, that is. If you're already a fan then I don't think it necessarily applies).

But honestly, a video can affect the song itself.

Sometimes. :naughty:

sounds stupid, but a music video can make or break a song. If you don't like the video then you can end up disliking the song because you associate the song with the images you see in the video (if you're an outsider looking in, that is. If you're already a fan then I don't think it necessarily applies).

Oh no I think it can have an impact if you're a fan. That's why I stopped watching the WAG contest videos and that's why I'm going to have to stop watching this. It's ruining the song for me.

...how about the song itself?.....:wink2:

yes, I think the choice of imagery + Mika's outfit is perfect: distinct and fits well with the music.

Well ... tbh I don't think it's one of his strongest songs. But having said that, I enjoy it live :naughty:,

But honestly, a video can affect the song itself.

Sometimes. :naughty:

I know what you mean, and that's what I tried to point out with the WAG comparison ...An absolutely great video but 'non-fans' didn't 'get it'. So, in a way it worked against the song - in my opinion.

Here I am thinking with the head of Mr and Mrs Average... The video is lively, colourful, the song is great - it can support the song...

(probably not in the US, though, where expectations are much higher with music videos )...

and I really feel bad about saying this as Mika was soooo enthusiastic about the video :emot-sad: and it really IS a great concept.

I do like it, nevertherless. I think it is definitely more like him than Love Today, Big Girl or Happy Ending, for example. And I don't even think Grace Kelly was particularly good, either.

In this one, at least is ACTING is great..

Oh no I think it can have an impact if you're a fan. That's why I stopped watching the WAG contest videos and that's why I'm going to have to stop watching this. It's ruining the song for me.

Exactomundo.

I think Mika does a SPLENDID job in the video, I love how he stalks around the place (although I don't like the bit on the chair) I just don't like everything else lol :aah:

ESPECIALLY THAT DANCING :furious:

I dunno... it could be entertaining... erase that- It sure will be entertaining, it could be GOOD :naughty:

It's just I remember this scene on Popworld where Mika was a guest and Alexa Cheung was there and Zane, and they were like "hmm, who's our next guest?" and the camera zoomed out and Mika was on the sofa sipping tea and obviously HE was the next guest, and everyone was like "who is it?" and then Mika's like "is it Beverly Knight? I like her" and then he offers the presenters tea and it's like...you KNOW it's acted :naughty:

Saying that though, he DID play Emcee in a college production of Cabaret. If anything he'd be a good performance actor...maybe not necessarily film actor...but we haven't really seen what he can do...

The dancing choreography is just awful. It's so SIMPLE! There's a bit at 2:02 where the dancers go down in canon and there's a bit where 2 dancers go down at the same time. NO. NO NO NO. Why didn't they re-do it until it was perfect? Just no! A lot of it was just movement or positions and not real dancing at all.

I agree, this is what I don't get really, when I watched the video I was thinking that they just shot one take of every scene :blink: Is that possible? It looked that way to me...

I think acting in a music video is very different from acting in a film.

I'm not talking about him being Johnny Depp or anything. :naughty:

It's just that he's said if he ever wrote a musical he wouldn't star in it because he can't act, but I think he has as much potential to act in a musical as say, Madonna did.

I agree, this is what I don't get really, when I watched the video I was thinking that they just shot one take of every scene :blink: Is that possible? It looked that way to me...

Sometimes a "one shot" video can work really well, but there are bits in the video that just aren't perfected. And it bugs me.

I'm not talking about him being Johnny Depp or anything. :naughty:

It's just that he's said if he ever wrote a musical he wouldn't star in it because he can't act, but I think he has as much potential to act in a musical as say, Madonna did.

:thumb_yello:

What's all this talk of ruining songs and driving people away? It's fine if you don't like it, but that doesn't mean everybody else is going to dislike it too. It doesn't mean that it's going to drive away potential fans. I might even go so far as to guess that his videos attract the kinds of fans he likes having.

I'm all for critiquing someone's work, but the broad generalizations about how he's losing his audience and driving away potential fans is over the top. And if you want to say "that's just the way the world works" I'd just like to point out that given "the way the world works" he shouldn't have any fans with the ways he does things, yet his popularity continues to grow. Maybe people don't know as much about "the way the world works" as they think they do.

I love the video. I know people who aren't even that into Mika, but who love his videos. He aims for strong reactions and he gets them. That's excellent execution because it did what he intended.

Excuse me while I go watch it another 50 times.

We're not saying this is the effect it WILL have, just the effect it CAN have, and not JUST this video. For example there are a few songs I like but I can't listen to them and watch the video at the same time, because the video bores me or I just don't like it.

Not everyone's gonna dislike it, there are a few that do, but from what I have seen the majority seem to have given it a thumbs down.

In other words, great concept, poor execution. :teehee:

Yes, that is what I find...

I was distinctly underwhelmed by this video. I can't see anything in it that would appeal to a non-fan :dunno:

Yes, that is why it ultimately makes me sad. I want others to see and discover Mika's brilliancy, and with videos like these it just won't happen :blink:.

The word I would use is "amateurish". A lot of his videos look like the sort of thing art students come up with when they first start (sorry if I've offended any art students :naughty:)

YES! Amateurish is what I wanted to convey. Amateurish and unfinished. Exactly.

I completely get it. BIOTG looked like it was...trying too hard to be different and artistic. For me it just didn't work or gel.

We're in agreement Caz. I think that, on top of all these things, it also really needed far more close ups of Mika rather than everythign being shot from so far away

We're in agreement Caz. I think that, on top of all these things, it also really needed far more close ups of Mika rather than everythign being shot from so far away

check out the jools holland and BIOTG thread in the gigs section, Jazzy and I have come up with a totally brilliant idea! Honest to God, it beats this video by far :naughty:

It really did look like they just did one take of every shot! Unless they're really really short on time, I just don't see how a professional production team would only do one take.

Maybe they did a lot of takes but never got it exactly right, then ran out of time to get a perfect take. And perhaps there was very very little rehearsal time for everyone. Overall, I don't think it was produced very well. :blink:

What's all this talk of ruining songs and driving people away? It's fine if you don't like it, but that doesn't mean everybody else is going to dislike it too. It doesn't mean that it's going to drive away potential fans. I might even go so far as to guess that his videos attract the kinds of fans he likes having.

I'm all for critiquing someone's work, but the broad generalizations about how he's losing his audience and driving away potential fans is over the top. And if you want to say "that's just the way the world works" I'd just like to point out that given "the way the world works" he shouldn't have any fans with the ways he does things, yet his popularity continues to grow. Maybe people don't know as much about "the way the world works" as they think they do.

I love the video. I know people who aren't even that into Mika, but who love his videos. He aims for strong reactions and he gets them. That's excellent execution because it did what he intended.

Excuse me while I go watch it another 50 times.

I love u!

It really did look like they just did one take of every shot! Unless they're really really short on time, I just don't see how a professional production team would only do one take.

Maybe they did a lot of takes but never got it exactly right, then ran out of time to get a perfect take. And perhaps there was very very little rehearsal time for everyone. Overall, I don't think it was produced very well. :blink:

No I don't think it was brilliantly produced either. Mika performed so well, it's just everything around him let the video down as a whole and it's just...frustrating. Mika can do so much better. Those dancers...they're not even in tune with each other...:blink:

No I don't think it was brilliantly produced either. Mika performed so well, it's just everything around him let the video down as a whole and it's just...frustrating. Mika can do so much better. Those dancers...they're not even in tune with each other...:blink:

I've always wondered, since Mika obviously focuses so much on the concept and visuals of his songs/albums, why on earth doesn't he just direct his own music videos? I think he would be amazing at it.

If He wished to make a high-grade clip would make it. What for to strangle Him?I think Mika requires support more, than in showering by stones.

Lena, I think this video was produced very quickly, we just think it could have been done better. We want Mika to be a big success :thumb_yello: