2009 - Mika @ Sound Academy,Toronto, Canada - 12 Oct - GIG REPORTS

guylainem123

Oh good luck with that! :lmfao:

I think the only thing I've ever had is the fake crab meat in a California roll. Usually I only eat salmon teriyaki at sushi restuarants. That's as fishy as I ever want to get. :naughty:

I was thinking about the T&T Supermarket today. Mika eating lunch in there was such a trip, I still can't believe it. :roftl:

I loooove sushi! :fangurl:

I'm still not keen on sashimi - just plain slabs of raw fish - but I'm all about sushi rolls. Except the Alberta roll. Do you have that in Ontario? It's hunks of steak - cooked steak, of course - stuffed into a sushi roll. Wrong, wrong, WRONG! :aah:

And I know what you mean about the T&T thing. I've been telling some friends and family about that over the holidays, and I always get these totally baffled looks from people. :roftl:

Y'know, I can't for the life of me remember what he was eating that day. Some noodle thing in a bowl, maybe? I'm clearly a very crappy stalker. If I was smart, I'd have taken his empty plates and sold them on eBay. :mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

ESCARGO FROM DOLLARAMA!????

it's bad enough my mom bought me a pair of socks there but snails...*shudder* :roftl:

:roftl:

Now that sounds appetizing. :naughty:

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sushi was so good! Maki (I'm pretty sure it was differnt) was good as well. I'm not too much a fan of the sashimi though. :emot-sad: There were other appetizers also, but those were less special (fried dumplings were delicious :teehee:). Sake wasn't too good, in my opinion (it tasted a bit like vodka, I'd say). One of my friends was trying to convince me that the wasabi was "green cream cheese...seriously". Yeah, thanks but...no. I know I'm stupid but I'm not that stupid. :rolls_eyes:

And the sushi place is pretty close to my house. I always used to pass that place but never took more than a glance at it. :aah:

hey ball painters! :biggrin2: i was wondering whether you could give me a few insider tips on how to make a styrofoam ball look like a planet. :naughty: i want to try something for a new costume, it's only very small styrofoam balls so no idea if it will come out the way i want it at all, but my tries so far were pretty useless - all i got was yellow glowing styrofoam balls (and fingers and table), lol! :roftl: so obviously it wasn't glow in the dark colour, right? as that always glows yellow, not white like the planets. white colour then? just white, or is there a special blacklight colour? and how do i get that texture? would be really happy if you had some tips for me, that would prevent me from spending lots of money on trying different colours and making my whole flat glow in the dark in the attempt to get it right, lol! :roftl: thanx. :wub2:

hey ball painters! :biggrin2: i was wondering whether you could give me a few insider tips on how to make a styrofoam ball look like a planet. :naughty: i want to try something for a new costume, it's only very small styrofoam balls so no idea if it will come out the way i want it at all, but my tries so far were pretty useless - all i got was yellow glowing styrofoam balls (and fingers and table), lol! :roftl: so obviously it wasn't glow in the dark colour, right? as that always glows yellow, not white like the planets. white colour then? just white, or is there a special blacklight colour? and how do i get that texture? would be really happy if you had some tips for me, that would prevent me from spending lots of money on trying different colours and making my whole flat glow in the dark in the attempt to get it right, lol! :roftl: thanx. :wub2:

It was specific UV paint. It was a sort of clear to milky white colour if I recall. I could see white splashes on my jeans, but even when I washed my skin so that you couldn't see it under normal light, it would be visible under black light. We were thinking other fans would wonder WTF we were up to because it was splattered all up our arms...but the barrier in the venue was pretty far back so we weren't really under black light during the gig I don't think.

The balls were prepped first with a coat of plain white paint. Then we applied the UV paint on top of that. Mika tried it with a sponge, I guess expecting that would create the best effect because there is already a crater-like pattern on the sponge. But it actually didn't seem to work as well as the brushes so he asked Zoots to fix it for him since she was getting really good results with her brush and technique.

We took the brushes and hammered the bristles against a hard surface so that the bristles splayed out like this.

paint1.png

The brushes were large, like the type you might paint a floorboard with.

4121413003_6912624249.jpg

But I think you should be able to create the same effect with a smaller brush on a smaller ball.

It was important to work in the bristles first so that they were separated before you used the brush to apply paint to the ball. This would leave natural gaps where the UV paint didn't touch the ball, so it would be a "dark" (i.e. not glowing) spot and give the appearance of a crater-like texture.

Once the brushes were mashed up a bit we dipped them lightly in the paint so there wasn't much paint on the brush (i.e. no dripping). Then we just lightly tapped the brush on the ball until the whole ball had had the brush applied to it. Exactly what pattern you used was a bit of artistic guesswork, especially since none of us really knew what we were doing. :naughty:

Mika objected when he saw one with a pattern that was too dense although I think it did work in the end under blacklight. I found my method was a bit too symmetrical and it would have looked better if I'd used more random strokes. I think the best you can do is go over the ball sparingly to start with and try to finesse it by filling in the gaps afterwards.

Unfortunately you really need a UV light to see what you're doing. But maybe you could achieve the same effect by just using white glow in the dark paint?

thanx a lot christine for that detailled description! :huglove: ok good to know that i have to ruin one of my brushes first, LOL! :roftl: wouldn't have thought of doing that, but seems like a really good tip. :original: i've tried with both of these kinds:

pinsel

but without preparing them in any way first, so that's good to know.

also about the uv paint... i'm sure i'll find something on the internet. and i do have a blacklight at home, so that's not a problem. :biggrin2: i don't think there is white glow in the dark paint, never seen any... just yellow, green, blue and red - and in fact they all look pretty much yellow in the blacklight! :roftl:

did you let the white background paint dry before you applied the uv paint, or was it still wet?

so the gap between the stage+barrier in toronto was a lot bigger then than in LA & oakland? :blink: because in LA IMMA told me she'd seen my glow in the dark stars very clearly, and as you might remember also in oakland we could see that glow in the dark nailpolish suddenly very well in the blacklight. :naughty:

thanx a lot christine for that detailled description! :huglove: ok good to know that i have to ruin one of my brushes first, LOL! :roftl: wouldn't have thought of doing that, but seems like a really good tip. :original: i've tried with both of these kinds:

pinsel

but without preparing them in any way first, so that's good to know.

also about the uv paint... i'm sure i'll find something on the internet. and i do have a blacklight at home, so that's not a problem. :biggrin2: i don't think there is white glow in the dark paint, never seen any... just yellow, green, blue and red - and in fact they all look pretty much yellow in the blacklight! :roftl:

did you let the white background paint dry before you applied the uv paint, or was it still wet?

so the gap between the stage+barrier in toronto was a lot bigger then than in LA & oakland? :blink: because in LA IMMA told me she'd seen my glow in the dark stars very clearly, and as you might remember also in oakland we could see that glow in the dark nailpolish suddenly very well in the blacklight. :naughty:

Heya, no problem. :biggrin2:

I think that #10 brush might work?

I've seen some glow in the dark white paint, but if you can work with the blacklight then just go for the UV paint since it's tried and tested. :naughty:

They put the white undercoat of paint on at some point before we got there. The domes were stacked on top of each other so they were completely dry before we started adding the UV paint.

Couldn't you see the glow in the dark stuff simply because it was dark and not because there was UV light on the audience 10 feet away from the stage? Mana and I bought white/fluorescent pink and green checked wristbands in Vancouver and they worked really well with the black light, but there was no barrier so our arms were over the stage.

It could be that the paint had just washed off properly by the night of the Toronto gig or maybe they can see stuff more easily from the stage. We had joked around about dipping our whole palms in the paint so Mika and the band could see us. :naughty:

Heya, no problem. :biggrin2:

I think that #10 brush might work?

I've seen some glow in the dark white paint, but if you can work with the blacklight then just go for the UV paint since it's tried and tested. :naughty:

yup, thanx, will try with one of those. :biggrin2: and the paint, well, just gotta look on the internet then, in that creative shops here in munich they only have normal yellow glow in the dark paint, pfft, those uncreative people, LOL! :roftl:

nope, that nail polish was definitely glowing due to the blacklight! a) it wasn't that dark there and b) i had tried before looking at it in the dark, shielding it with my hands, and it only glowed very feebly. but it was that strong only during a few songs, like during dr john, when you could also see the planets very well... don't know if they turned the blacklight on+off, or if it was just not visible because of all the bright lights.

I was wondering why this thread was bumped...:roftl:

So, the olympic torch went through my town the other day, who else here (from canada, obvs) saw the torch? I have a few good videos, I'll upload and show if anyone's interested except in one video there's a van that drives by with dancers on it dancing to starstrukk by lady gaga and i gotta feeling by the BEPs and they say like "WHATS UP ___ *insert town name*" so I don't know if I want to show that one. :roftl: and my mom makes a comment about what if the runner tripped and the flame went out or something....:lmfao:

But anyways, it was really cool, and I feel so lucky to see it because out of all the countries in the world, the olympics is here and who knows when it will come back, right? Soooo ... I have rambled on enough.

I am totally oblivious to the whole torch business, so I'd like to see your videos.

There's 12,000 of them for canada, and I'm not sure if all of them did, but I know most won it from the iCoke website. :biggrin2:

It made my heart go warm because the guy looked so proud, it was a great feeling to see someone smile that big because of the honour he has. :wub2: (I almost started crying. :aah:)

Mika objected when he saw one with a pattern that was too dense although I think it did work in the end under blacklight. I found my method was a bit too symmetrical and it would have looked better if I'd used more random strokes. I think the best you can do is go over the ball sparingly to start with and try to finesse it by filling in the gaps afterwards.

Yes Mika was very insistent that the pattern be as random as possible, and that it not to look to pattern-y over the course of any one planet. :roftl:

I found what worked was to turn my brush ever so slightly after each tap, so that each dab of paint would be applied with a slightly different orientation than the previous dab. It also helped to dip the brush in paint, then tap the first few strokes on a piece of plastic to get rid of any big globs of paint.

Oh, and in order to get the bristles splayed properly, Mika had us put a tiny bit of paint on them, then really beat the crap out of them. Like, holding the brush in a fist like it was a knife used to stab something, and slamming it down on a hard surface over and over. :roftl:

It's so funny to look back and think what a science we made of all this. :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

It's so funny to look back and think what a science we made of all this. :blush-anim-cl:

Yeah I wish we had another chance (and not just for obvious reasons :teehee:). I feel like I could do a much better job of it this time. I could spot my too-patterny ball at the gigs and it drove me nuts. :aah:

Oh and Mellody I wanted to say that picture of the bristles...that's just the method of getting them separated to a certain degree, by pressing down on a hard surface. I wouldn't keep pressing the bristles down until they were splayed out flat like that permanently...it's overkill and you wouldn't get the same effect.

Yes Mika was very insistent that the pattern be as random as possible, and that it not to look to pattern-y over the course of any one planet. :roftl:

I found what worked was to turn my brush ever so slightly after each tap, so that each dab of paint would be applied with a slightly different orientation than the previous dab. It also helped to dip the brush in paint, then tap the first few strokes on a piece of plastic to get rid of any big globs of paint.

Oh, and in order to get the bristles splayed properly, Mika had us put a tiny bit of paint on them, then really beat the crap out of them. Like, holding the brush in a fist like it was a knife used to stab something, and slamming it down on a hard surface over and over. :roftl:

Yeah I wish we had another chance (and not just for obvious reasons :teehee:). I feel like I could do a much better job of it this time. I could spot my too-patterny ball at the gigs and it drove me nuts. :aah:

Oh and Mellody I wanted to say that picture of the bristles...that's just the method of getting them separated to a certain degree, by pressing down on a hard surface. I wouldn't keep pressing the bristles down until they were splayed out flat like that permanently...it's overkill and you wouldn't get the same effect.

thanx for the additional tips. :biggrin2: don't think anyway that i'd be able to splay out the bristles permanently like they are in that picture, so guess i wouldn't have tried... it's mean enough to hammer the poor brush on the table anyway, that's what at school they always told us NOT to do, LOL! :roftl:

what was that bit of paint on the brush for, before hammering it down, do you know? :blink:

well, of course you had to make a science out of it, to make all the planets look similar - perfect team work! :thumb_yello: and the fact that they didn't look exactly like one another is only good imo, it makes it look more interesting, and as all look good in their own way, you could think it was on purpose. :biggrin2: it's a fantasy world after all. :bleh:

Edited by mellody

what was that bit of paint on the brush for, before hammering it down, do you know? :blink:

The paint just helped mold the bristles into a new pattern. Kind like using gel on your hair to sculpt it. :biggrin2:

I ended up with a brush that had already been used for painting so it was already molded to a large degree and it was difficult to mash it up properly. That was a bit stressful because Mika kept saying it was important to get the brush right but I couldn't find a fresh one to do it properly. :aah:

I think my brush actually worked quite well in the end, but my technique could have been better on some of the early attempts.

i could try putting hair gel on the brush, maybe that works better, haha! :das: well, i first have to find some paint, haven't searched online yet. but guess i really should get started soon, noticed today that february is SO close meanwhile! :shocked:

I ended up with a brush that had already been used for painting so it was already molded to a large degree and it was difficult to mash it up properly. That was a bit stressful because Mika kept saying it was important to get the brush right but I couldn't find a fresh one to do it properly.

I think my brush actually worked quite well in the end, but my technique could have been better on some of the early attempts.

Yeah, I felt that it was stressful when that art woman told us loud and clear to wash the brushes in water, during a break, and later Yasmine was horrified when she saw that all the brushes were "ruined" because they were drenched :aah:.

I wanted to say "but-but, she told us to!" and at the same time I didn't want to be telling on anyone and look bitchy, so it was a bit tricky until I managed to get my brush working properly again and Yasmine and everyone seemed more chilled. Luckily Mika was rehearsing at that time so he missed the incident, or I would have had a heart attack if he thought that I had singlehandedly decided to mess up his beloved brushes with my "independent thinking" :roftl:.

I do agree with the technique comment though: my earlier attempts were far worse than the last ones, because it took a while to get comfortable and get the hang of it. And Mika's beady eye commenting on my work when I was least expecting it didn't help either- he kept an eye on everyone and everything, and would randomly go and comment on people's balls :naughty:.

Oh good luck with that!

I think the only thing I've ever had is the fake crab meat in a California roll. Usually I only eat salmon teriyaki at sushi restuarants. That's as fishy as I ever want to get. :naughty:

I was thinking about the T&T Supermarket today. Mika eating lunch in there was such a trip, I still can't believe it.

I can't believe that he nearly choked on his lunch when he was going to ask me about the painting :roftl:

I loooove sushi! :fangurl:

I'm still not keen on sashimi - just plain slabs of raw fish - but I'm all about sushi rolls. Except the Alberta roll. Do you have that in Ontario? It's hunks of steak - cooked steak, of course - stuffed into a sushi roll. Wrong, wrong, WRONG!

And I know what you mean about the T&T thing. I've been telling some friends and family about that over the holidays, and I always get these totally baffled looks from people.

Y'know, I can't for the life of me remember what he was eating that day. Some noodle thing in a bowl, maybe? I'm clearly a very crappy stalker. If I was smart, I'd have taken his empty plates and sold them on eBay.

I'm the same as you with the sushi-I LOVE it, but I can't stand the sashimi. It needs to be balanced out with the rice for me, either in roll or just the regular sushi with the fish on top of some rice, but just the fish I find totally YUK :wink2:

Oh and don't get me started on how people don't "get it" when I'm telling them about this planet painting adventure and things like the pub, etc... You gotta be a fan to get some things :dunno:

Sushi was so good! Maki (I'm pretty sure it was differnt) was good as well. I'm not too much a fan of the sashimi though. :emot-sad: There were other appetizers also, but those were less special (fried dumplings were delicious ). Sake wasn't too good, in my opinion (it tasted a bit like vodka, I'd say). One of my friends was trying to convince me that the wasabi was "green cream cheese...seriously". Yeah, thanks but...no. I know I'm stupid but I'm not that stupid.

:roftl: Well, it's great to hear that it went well then. Did you have some tempura? I absolutely love the vegetable and prawn tempura, YUMMMMMMMMM

If it is, I might just go into cardiac arrest or even a coma.

Like, the feeling. Just thinking about the feeling when Mika first came on stage. I can't even think about it without tearing up, because it wasn't just a concert. It was something I wanted SO badly, and something I used to think would never happen, and there it is. Right there. The man I have edited pictures of for over a year, and have had dreams about. I have his posters on my wall! And he is standing right infront of me. Finally. And he puts his heart and soul into his performance, and it is just phenemonal and I couldn't ask for anything ever again because nothing will compare to it!

You forgot to mention that he also pointed at you when he was saying the word "LOVE" :naughty::huglove:

Oh and don't get me started on how people don't "get it" when I'm telling them about this planet painting adventure and things like the pub, etc... You gotta be a fan to get some things :dunno:

Of course you have to...I'm so far from you, geographically I mean, far up in the north but I totally GET it.:biggrin2:

The coincident, the chance of a million that he would bump in to you guys and be able able to ask for a favour, and between the lines I really try to catch the atmosphere of being there, doing the work for him....wow!:blush-anim-cl::teehee:

Of course you have to...I'm so far from you, geographically I mean, far up in the north but I totally GET it.:biggrin2:

The coincident, the chance of a million that he would bump in to you guys and be able able to ask for a favour, and between the lines I really try to catch the atmosphere of being there, doing the work for him....wow!:blush-anim-cl::teehee:

I know you do, Sienna :huglove:

I'm the same as you with the sushi-I LOVE it, but I can't stand the sashimi. It needs to be balanced out with the rice for me, either in roll or just the regular sushi with the fish on top of some rice, but just the fish I find totally YUK :wink2:

:roftl: Well, it's great to hear that it went well then. Did you have some tempura? I absolutely love the vegetable and prawn tempura, YUMMMMMMMMM

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Even the soya sauce couldn't help the sashimi. :aah:

Yup! There was shrimp tempura. And sweet potato.

I like deep fried things, so...:naughty:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok people, it looks like the Mastah loves to talk about this, he's blabbing about it again, and this time it's on camera :roftl:

He makes it sound like it's happening every day :lmfao: But I love how he says that he painted the set with us. Cause he did :naughty:.

Ok people, it looks like the Mastah loves to talk about this, he's blabbing about it again, and this time it's on camera :roftl:

He makes it sound like it's happening every day :lmfao: But I love how he says that he painted the set with us. Cause he did :naughty:.

So cute. :wub2:

Admit it, you must be waiting for his phonecall for the next tour. :roftl:

"I build the set with my fans...I have my fans come in and paint everything..."

He sounds so proud when he says that!:wub2:

So cute. :wub2:

Admit it, you must be waiting for his phonecall for the next tour. :roftl:

Well :naughty:, I'm available :mf_rosetinted:

"I build the set with my fans...I have my fans come in and paint everything..."

He sounds so proud when he says that!:wub2:

He does, doesn't he? That's what I really like: that he sounds so proud of the whole thing :wub2: