2009 - Mika @ Sound Academy,Toronto, Canada - 12 Oct - GIG REPORTS

guylainem123

No, I guess he has someone else to clean his clothes for him. :sneaky2:

He said something about not being able to see the paint unless you're in a club (under UV light) so at first I wasn't worried about it. But we had to prepare the brushes before we started painting the planets and the paint was splashing all up my arm and when I got a bit on my new jeans I changed my mind and donned a garbage bag. :naughty:

I don't remember if he had it on during the painting, but later he was definitely wearing that nice red/green plaid jacket. He looked fab. :wub2:

He was wearing his "Canadian Farmer jacket" as I call it, and I even said that to him when he put it on. Before that he had a plain white T-shirt on. I guess he figured that, as the paint was white, it didn't make a massive difference :naughty:. My first garbage dress broke and I had to make another one :sneaky2:.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How to fatally damage a paint brush.

True. True. :lmfao:

He was also using a sponge on one of the larger planets and decided he didn't like that effect as much as what we were doing with the brushes. I liked it though because I can always spot that one at the gigs. There's another one I saw every time that I'm sure I painted. Everyone had a different technique so all the planets are unique.

I'm enjoying reading this, but I must admit I'm feeling for people who flew out to north American gigs other than toronto- they must be kicking themselves

Well, to be honest, when it happened we were all quite aware of the fact that it was a once-in-a-lifetime type chance, and that it would not happen again :blink:. It was due to chance: Checking the place out at the exact time that they were having a break, their previous set not working out, Mika having the lightbulb moment that same second before we walked away after saying hi and having a little chat, him trusting us with staying quiet.......So many things that I'm quite conscious will not be repeated :dunno: It was really one of those big flukey things that sometimes happen. Nobody could know that it would happen beforehand.

He was also using a sponge on one of the larger planets and decided he didn't like that effect as much as what we were doing with the brushes. I liked it though because I can always spot that one at the gigs. There's another one I saw every time that I'm sure I painted. Everyone had a different technique so all the planets are unique.

So true!! And I also spot the sponge-painted one, LOL.

Well, to be honest, when it happened we were all quite aware of the fact that it was a once-in-a-lifetime type chance, and that it would not happen again :blink:. It was due to chance: Checking the place out at the exact time that they were having a break, their previous set not working out, Mika having the lightbulb moment that same second before we walked away after saying hi and having a little chat, him trusting us with staying quiet.......So many things that I'm quite conscious will not be repeated :dunno: It was really one of those big flukey things that sometimes happen. Nobody could know that it would happen beforehand.

So true!! And I also spot the sponge-painted one, LOL.

And you wonder why people were following you at LN :roftl: Christine always says you bring luck with you! Me, if I'd been deciding between Toronto and elsewhere on the tour, I'd inevitably have chosen elsewhere!

And you wonder why people were following you at LN :roftl: Christine always says you bring luck with you! Me, if I'd been deciding between Toronto and elsewhere on the tour, I'd inevitably have chosen elsewhere!

Well we went to Toronto of course to see Mika but because Christine, Suzy, Shawna and Aurelien are there and we wanted to go to a gig with them. Mostly everything else was pure luck. At least one thing was in our personal favour though.

as artistes, you should have all initialed your planets :mf_rosetinted:

oops, seems I posted this in the wrong thread. :blush-anim-cl:

I'm enjoying reading this, but I must admit I'm feeling for people who flew out to north American gigs other than toronto- they must be kicking themselves

SoSi this wasn't some kind of MFC perk. It didn't even happen at a gig. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time (I live within a mile of the venue and the pizza Team Mika ordered came from my local pizzeria.)

The reason we were together is because we are close friends and had been planning to spend the day together regardless of Mika. Even some of our other close friends like Aurelien and Long weren't with us because they had other plans that day.

One of the reasons we were hesitant about discussing this on the board is because we don't want people getting the idea that Mika is going to ask fans to come hang out with him as some kind of perk. He needed our help and we were there. I don't expect it will ever happen again, not even for us.

People are joking around with Mika and the ball painting, but if they seriously start nagging him about this I'm going to regret ever having said anything about it.

Sorry I shouldn't have said that. I have talked the least about this and I think I am going to stop now.

phew!- I was afraid you were going to say that it was cos you're the nicest person in the whole of the universe, and I'd hate to have been the one to tell you that that's actually me

phew!- I was afraid you were going to say that it was cos you're the nicest person in the whole of the universe, and I'd hate to have been the one to tell you that that's actually me

:lmfao: I thought you were going to go the whole hog there and say that you'd hate to be the one to tell me that I'm not :lmao:

It would be true, but still. :naughty:

oops, seems I posted this in the wrong thread. :blush-anim-cl:

SoSi this wasn't some kind of MFC perk. It didn't even happen at a gig. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time (I live within a mile of the venue and the pizza Team Mika ordered came from my local pizzeria.)

The reason we were together is because we are close friends and had been planning to spend the day together regardless of Mika. Even some of our other close friends like Aurelien and Long weren't with us because they had other plans that day.

One of the reasons we were hesitant about discussing this on the board is because we don't want people getting the idea that Mika is going to ask fans to come hang out with him as some kind of perk. He needed our help and we were there. I don't expect it will ever happen again, not even for us.

People are joking around with Mika and the ball painting, but if they seriously start nagging him about this I'm going to regret ever having said anything about it.

Yeah- I answered in the other thread

I wasn't in any sense nagging- I really don't see why you would think I was. BUT I know other people- Kath, Tiibet, Mellody?- have flown out to the states for gigs, and in their place I'd be wishing I'd chosen this one! It's a perfectly natural reaction. So is dreaming that it- or better- might happen to us one day, but I have NEVER nagged Mika on Twitter or anywhere else and so do not deserve to be reprimanded

Well we went to Toronto of course to see Mika but because Christine, Suzy, Shawna and Aurelien are there and we wanted to go to a gig with them. Mostly everything else was pure luck. At least one thing was in our personal favour though.

Yes, that is the thing. We went there because we wanted to do the whole thing with our friends, and the Mika painting experience was obviously out of this world, but we would have never expected it and would have had an equally great time without it anyway.

And what Christine said about us not being together when this happened if other people had also gone to TO is true. Heck, some of the friends with who we were spending time there weren't with us at that time either, so being in Toronto that day would have not meant that they would have had the chance anyway :blink:.

And what Christine said about us not being together when this happened if other people had also gone to TO is true. Heck, some of the friends with who we were spending time there weren't with us at that time either, so being in Toronto that day would have not meant that they would have had the chance anyway :blink:.

I surely would have been on the bus from Montreal at that time of day which I think would have suck even more :doh: My karma isn't as good as yours :mf_rosetinted:

Is there two threads about this? Just posted in another one :naughty:

Well, this is the Toronto gig report thread, and the other thread is about the article in which Mika spilled the beans :wink2:. So, technically, as this is "the one", it has a bit more info on the events.

It means he wants to bone you!

:lmfao:

Caz! What's gotten into you? You turn 20, hang out with Mika in a pub, and now you're all about licking chocolate sauce and "boning". :aah::roftl:

Yeah I agree. There have been quite a few people on Twitter being like "Mikaaaa! We want to paint your balls!" It was a total fluke in every sense of the word. Just like that guy in NYC who randomly ran into him at a Mexican restaurant after the gig. The whole reason he asked us is because he was sort of in a bind (time-wise) and we happened to be there, not because he set out to give fans a perk. So to nag him demanding to do the same is a bit bizarre, in my opinion.

He said something about not being able to see the paint unless you're in a club (under UV light) so at first I wasn't worried about it.

I had that problem! I went to a club when I got home, and some paint speckles I'd missed were all up my arms. My friends pointed and laughed. Thanks Mika. :sneaky2::roftl:

You know what's funny... at the very beginning, when Mika & Yasmine were showing us the brushes, I went for the sponge - and Yasmine stopped me. She said Mika wanted to use that one for the larger planets so she had to save it for him. That made it even funnier when he was sitting beside me using it, and I could see that it wasn't working! When he asked me to fix it I said "don't worry, you didn't feck it up, you just made a good base". :naughty:

Oops, I haven't been here in a little while and I saw the "other" thread first... so I'll just paste what I wrote there, since we're talking about it here...

Wow... I haven't been on MFC in a long time!

How exciting that we can finally talk about this... although I'm pretty proud of us that we respected his request to keep it quiet for over a month, until after he actually told a journalist about it himself. It wasn't something we expected to happen - it was just luck, chance, fate, whatever... but it happened - and when he asked us to please keep it quiet we had to respect that.

I had a hellova time. Especially when he asked me himself if I would be a Big Girl dancer... and I said "thanks but no thanks"! He had to spend 5 minutes batting his Bambi eyes trying to convince me - and then I said "maybe"!! What the heck was I thinking? It was an incredible experience - so glad I did it. I was shaking when I went back over to our little group who were at the stage watching the band rehearse... and my dear friends convinced me I had to do it. (Thank you!)

As Sara & Christine said, when they were rehearsing Love Today he brought me up on stage with him and practiced the BG dancing with me. It was soooo surreal... and I kept looking down at Christine, Sara, Mana, Bab, Suzy and Ryan, standing at the front of the stage and cheering like it was the real concert. And btw - I almost fell off that little catwalk platform that's behind Cherrisse, and Mika caught me!

I think my other favourite part was when he was sitting beside me on the floor at one point while we were painting the planets, and he said to me "I f'ked this one up. Can you fix it for me?" Ha! I don't know - something about that seemed really great to me... I think just that it was all so laid back and casual. Really a lovely day.

Mika asking Zoots to be a big girl was one of the highlights of the night for me. He taught her a dance and she did such a good job with it. Mika was just as impressed as we were! :bow:

Awww... thank you Christine! :wub2:

Yes - I really hope people don't get the wrong idea about this. It was purely coincidental, and I don't expect to ever be so lucky again. They were tired, and they would have had to stay up all night long painting the set themselves - they just needed some extra hands and we happened to bump into them at the exact right time.

I wasn't actually there when Mika asked so I hope that doesn't sound too boastful. I had a migraine at the time and wasn't up for eating chicken feet so Zoots and I were waiting for the others so we could go to a sandwich shop after. :naughty:

OMG you should have seen your face when you saw the chicken feet!! :stretcher:

Running into Mika was pure luck. Had I made an extra batch of pancakes that morning for the Decadents, we would have been sitting at that breakfast table chatting for a few more hours and we would have certainly missed running into him. So we left when we did, and texted Christine and Zoots (who live near the venue) to meet us when we did.

Mana, Sara and Babs stayed over my place the night before and we were lucky that my car fit us just perfectly and my kids stayed with their grandparents - there would not have been room for any another person. It was mere coincidence which is why for the longest time, it seemed so unreal.

Exactly. The whole thing was just the stars aligning for us perfectly... not anything you can win or make happen... just something we can be thankful for and keep as a great memory.

Acctually I think it was Daisylou who pointed out it was better to wait round the back (lol I didn't believe her at first, not till all the sw_anky (pfft had to try all ways to get that word in without it thinking I was swearing) cars had gone from the front lol). The security ppl were telling us all kinda cr*p that he had gone n shizzle pfft.

Edited by sparkly1