2009 - New York, NY at United Palace Theatre Oct 16 - reports, pictures and videos

guylainem123

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a fantastic time at the concert last night. It was my first time ever seeing Mika, and one of the most energetic concerts that I've ever been too.

I waited outside by the stage door to try to meet Mika, and it was freezing cold. After like an hour and a half, the security guard came out and told us that Mika would come out and sign, but that he wouldn't pose for pictures, which was understandable considering the subzero polar bear loving weather. The security guards were very pushy, literally pulling and shoving people to make them go quicker up to Mika. When i got up there, and asked for and received a high five, and got my ticket signed. Even though I wanted a picture with him, I was still real happy.

Afterward, myself and the girl that I was with went to go and eat at a restaurant across the street. It was a little Mexican restaurant, and we were a little unenthusiastic because just about no one in there spoke English, and we didn't speak Spanish. However, as we were talking, I stopped mid conversation and looked over at the door because dun dun dun MIKA WALKED IN! I just about flipped out. I was like, "Holy ****, that's Mika!" We flipped out and I tweeted like three times about whether or not to go up to him. Finally, we gathered up our courage and did it. He was an extremely nice guy, and I stress the extremely. He didn't give off any sort of ego, and he seemed very soft spoken and gracious. The old man that he was with took the picture for us, and kept asking to make sure that the picture that he took as alright. It was great! We chatted for a minute or two, and then we left him to eat. He said that the reason he was so not tired after the show was because he was starving. We went back to our seats, incredibly star struck, and couldn't get over it. It was so weird talking to my friend after that, because every time I looked at her, Mika was just sitting right there drinking wine in my line of vision. Yes!

8524_173446871720_505931720_3174829_4237922_n.jpg

It was a FANTASTIC evening!

I'm so happy for you!:thumb_yello:

It must have been an amazing experience, beautiful picture too!:wub2:

Wow, loving all of these reports! So happy that more MFCers got to be Big Girls :wub2:

@Sammy: This is probably a stupid question, by why isn't Mika allowed to listen to demos? :dunno:

I can't speak for Mika, but I've heard about other artists rejecting people's demo CDs as well. The reason is that they may get into legal trouble if they ever put out a song that sounds similar to yours. I'm pretty sure Sammy wouldn't sue Mika, but they can never be to sure. I was thinking of recording a song I'd written for Mika and giving it to him, but I'm not sure if I will now. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

Hi, everybody

The show was great

:woot_jump:

EXCEPT FOR RUDE, DUMB SECURITY PEOPLE...:furious::furious:

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Oh boy, ain't that the truth? I don't know who they thought they

were dealing with -- we're Mika fans, for crying out loud, not Hell's Angels.

:sneaky2:

I'm too lazy now to post a review right now but I just uploaded some pictures here

again, I don't know why I never succeed to upload directly to the forum...

See you in Philly,

Chris

It's not just you, Chris -- I can't upload to the forum either. We still

haven't figured that one out yet... will continue to work on it.

Anyhow, your pics are great! Obviously your camera likes Mika's smoke

and light effects better than mine does.

Love all the other reports, too -- Sammy, you're hysterical. But I'm afraid

people behaving as you did -- grabbing Mika's ankle -- may have been what caused

security to send us all back to our seats. :(

Brandinian, how lucky for you to run into Mika after the show! And such a

nice photo! I'm glad that worked out for you!

Holly... well, I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy the show. I hope the behind-the-

scenes peek makes up for it a bit... and at least you have Philly tomorrow

night, right?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by dcdeb
to clarify: it wasn't just one person grabbing at Mika that caused security to keep us away from the stage

first off, I DIDN'T KNOW WE COULD GET BACKSTAGE PASSES :(

my friend forgot her umbrella, so we went back inside and saw a bunch of people sitting in the front section, but we weren't allowed to go in :(

The show was great, I had 4th row seats and was in the middle of security asshole gate 2009. My friend actually nearly fought with the biggest guy there, she's kind of insane that way. Because of the hurdle back and forth from the stage and to our seats, we missed the first few songs due to all the distraction.

He was really good yesterday, although I think the sound quality was a bit unclear. It was his old program with several song changes and an overall simpler show, but overall very fun. Favorite moment was probably "I See You".

After the show, oblivious to the backstage passes, we went outside and waited for a while in freezing weather until, as described above, Mika signed all out things. He signed my CD, I said "Thanks, Mika" and we made eye contact. I completely froze at that point and just walked away, starstruck. Still starstruck at this point, ugh.

And about that Mexican restaurant across the street, my friend and I were getting drunk at that bar before the show (and were pretty drunk throughout the night), and thought of getting more drinks after, but it was too cold so we went home. Alas, could have seen Mika again :-/

I might post photos, if my iPhone behaves : )

Best. Day. Ever! This was my first Mika concert and it did NOT disappoint! I had so much fun dancing around in the second row :roftl:

A big thanks to dcdeb for the pass for the after show! If you weren't sitting right in front of me I wouldn't even have known! (It was great meeting Holly, Natalie and Lucy, too!) :thumb_yello:

Hey Bradley, nice to meet you, however briefly! I'm glad you had a great

time! And your photos were great -- much better than mine! :aah:

first off, I DIDN'T KNOW WE COULD GET BACKSTAGE PASSES :(

Hi marthastewart -- it's never a sure thing. We were

just pretty lucky this time.

I notice, though, that you didn't RSVP in the gig thread -- next time

there's a show, please let us know that you're coming and then we'll

know to look out for you. That RSVP thread is the only way we know of

which MFCers to look for at a certain gig -- and if we ever get special

benefits, like aftershow passes, it's best if we know you're coming.

(Just saying this for future reference to all MFCers going to gigs, too...) :thumb_yello:

I might post photos, if my iPhone behaves : )

Ooh, hope you do, would love to see them! :thumb_yello:

Hi marthastewart -- it's never a sure thing. We were

just pretty lucky this time.

I notice, though, that you didn't RSVP in the gig thread -- next time

there's a show, please let us know that you're coming and then we'll

know to look out for you. That RSVP thread is the only way we know of

which MFCers to look for at a certain gig -- and if we ever get special

benefits, like aftershow passes, it's best if we know you're coming.

(Just saying this for future reference to all MFCers going to gigs, too...) :thumb_yello:

that makes sense. I went on MFC hiatus for a year due to school and am kicking myself slightly.

anyway, posting some pics now...

Sorry for the delay. Tibet thank you so much for doing the video for Big Girls.

I can actually see me, I sent that link off to family and friends.

Unfortunately the pictures from our camera didn't really pick me out of the background and I was mostly behind a light. Oops.

Holly-As soon as you can send those pictures that were taken backstage of all of us BG's please do.

Well it was a most incredible experience. I should up with my daughters and John and Mrs. Penniman and Aunt Mimi were very welcoming and warm to them.

I told the friends who were going to stay with my girls were in yet, they didn't mind. I don't really have a time line once I arrived and I entered Mika-Zone.

There was supposed to be a run through but Holly wasn't there nor was the other BG. So I stood around with the girls. Mrs.Penniman said I was small up top :teehee:

As we were there Mika just comes walking through and stood 2 feet away next to his aunt. Then Aunt Mimi said Mom, is going to be a BG. He smiled big and extended his hand, we shook and I introduced myself and he liked my eye decorations and I introduced my daughters and He leaned in and pointed to Zoe's eye decorations and gave her the thiumbs up and shook her hand then he shook Aubrey's hand.

That was when I knew I would be alright. I was more nervous driving there then doing what I was about to do.

Deb, showed up then we were told since there wasn't much to do we could come back at 7:00. We came back with Holly, Deb and the girls and Yasmine was working on something artsy and said that this is Mika's space and that only BG could really be there. No problem, Deb took the girls out for me (Thanks Deb :thumb_yello:)

I was worried that my corset was going to be too big and that they would ship me off, but she work it out.

There is nothing like being in the wings and the crowd screams and the music starts, I started to jump up and down (Mika like) and thought I need to pace myself.

Then it was show time and it was fabulous!!!! I spotted my kids and many MFC'ers. To see what Mika sees was really cool.

Even with my back stage pass people didn't want to get out of my way when I was going to my seat. Lets just say I got to my seat.

I thanked John, Mrs. P and Mimi. I really hit it off with the massage therapist.

Mimi even saw me after the show and told me to stay strong. I told them some of my health issues of late and they were very warm. It wasn't sad it was about strength and living life.

Watching the BG video that Tibet took really helped make it real. I was aware of everything and lived it, but seeing it really solidified it.

It may be harder to be a BG in a GA venue, no one will let you get into the floor. So unless they are really stuck for a BG I'll watch this show from the front.

HELLO-To the other BG's hope you signed up for MFC.

Not the best report, but hey.

See you tomorrow Philly.

Post-Mika depression did set in a little even though we are seeing him tomorrow.

Who wants to start the PMD Support Group Thread?:teehee:

This was an amazing show and I do want to apologize if I over talked.....I had 8 glasses of wine (I think) I am not an alcoholic but I enjoyed every bit of it lol I also want to apologized to mika even if he does not remember.I screamed every freaking song.... I was a nightmare to the people in front of me!!!!!!

I had a blast......but I missed my holly next to me. Natalie spent a few hours

with me but then went to her seat. Nadira was a good partner....we both were screaming for mika the whole time!

Holly and jamie looked amazing on stage....I tried my best to record but I think I was so drunk....at least that is what holly keep saying lol

I finally got to speak to sunshine931 and cassioppi . I told sunshine to keep me posted with her pregnancy!!!. She had this adorable painting on her face. They all were super nice to me!!! Thanks ladies!!!

According to almost everybody, I was so loud and drunk....you could smell the

alcohol a mile away(again, please accept my apologies)

I do remember the show....it was a dream! Still feels like one.

Now I am looking forward for philly and this time I will be sober:biggrin2:.

Hopefully, I will get to say hi to mika the proper way this time.

This was an amazing show and I do want to apologize if I over talked.....I had 8 glasses of wine (I think) I am not an alcoholic but I enjoyed every bit of it lol I also want to apologized to mika even if he does not remember.I screamed every freaking song.... I was a nightmare to the people in front of me!!!!!!

I had a blast......but I missed my holly next to me. Natalie spent a few hours

with me but then went to her seat. Nadira was a good partner....we both were screaming for mika the whole time!

Holly and jamie looked amazing on stage....I tried my best to record but I think I was so drunk....at least that is what holly keep saying lol

I finally got to speak to sunshine931 and cassioppi . I told sunshine to keep me posted with her pregnancy!!!. She had this adorable painting on her face. They all were super nice to me!!! Thanks ladies!!!

According to almost everybody, I was so loud and drunk....you could smell the

alcohol a mile away(again, please accept my apologies)

I do remember the show....it was a dream! Still feels like one.

Now I am looking forward for philly and this time I will be sober:biggrin2:.

Hopefully, I will get to say hi to mika the proper way this time.

Post-Mika depression!! What a word, however, it did describe my feeling today! Although Empire State Building was also fantastic!!

Following this link was my 9 videos taken of him, however, the audio was so bad,........

Post-Mika depression!! What a word, however, it did describe my feeling today! Although Empire State Building was also fantastic!!

Following this link was my 9 videos taken of him, however, the audio was so bad,........

Aww, shame about the audio on some, but some are OK -- thanks!

And I think we all must scream all the songs back at him -- we can't

help ourselves! :naughty:

I had a fantastic time at the concert last night. It was my first time ever seeing Mika, and one of the most energetic concerts that I've ever been too.

I waited outside by the stage door to try to meet Mika, and it was freezing cold. After like an hour and a half, the security guard came out and told us that Mika would come out and sign, but that he wouldn't pose for pictures, which was understandable considering the subzero polar bear loving weather. The security guards were very pushy, literally pulling and shoving people to make them go quicker up to Mika. When i got up there, and asked for and received a high five, and got my ticket signed. Even though I wanted a picture with him, I was still real happy.

Afterward, myself and the girl that I was with went to go and eat at a restaurant across the street. It was a little Mexican restaurant, and we were a little unenthusiastic because just about no one in there spoke English, and we didn't speak Spanish. However, as we were talking, I stopped mid conversation and looked over at the door because dun dun dun MIKA WALKED IN! I just about flipped out. I was like, "Holy ****, that's Mika!" We flipped out and I tweeted like three times about whether or not to go up to him. Finally, we gathered up our courage and did it. He was an extremely nice guy, and I stress the extremely. He didn't give off any sort of ego, and he seemed very soft spoken and gracious. The old man that he was with took the picture for us, and kept asking to make sure that the picture that he took as alright. It was great! We chatted for a minute or two, and then we left him to eat. He said that the reason he was so not tired after the show was because he was starving. We went back to our seats, incredibly star struck, and couldn't get over it. It was so weird talking to my friend after that, because every time I looked at her, Mika was just sitting right there drinking wine in my line of vision. Yes!

Your pic is SO cute!!!!! Everyone is smiling... :wub2: Mika is so nice, he can make people so happy. Thanks for sharing the pic and report!! :thumb_yello:

I put the rest of my half-decent photos up on my facebook page,

but I'll share just a few more here . . .

6834_300688065320_810005320_9110729_6022149_n.jpg

That was such an INTENSE show:

MIKA was FIERCE

and the set and lighting designs were so effective.

Nice to see you again and thank you so much for keeping me in the loop!

Edited by A. Clay

Best. Day. Ever! This was my first Mika concert and it did NOT disappoint!

I had so much fun dancing around in the second row :roftl: . . .

9119_163391936399_600421399_3359622_3204040_n.jpg

I was so nervous when he came to me that I was just like "Hi :D" and shook his hand, and asked him to sign my ticket. I should've been like, "Your show was amazing!" but I froze lol. I think he knew how I felt anyway . . .

Thanx for this great pic. I thought the set and lighting were amazing.

Edited by A. Clay

Just finished reading all the new reports and they were fantastic!! They were full of excitement and enthusiasm!! So glad that everyone had such a great time and congrats to the MFC big girls!!!

Here are my vids from NYC so far if someone is interested:

Touches You:

I See You:

Big Girl:

Rain:

One Foot Boy:

The last one is still processing...

Thanks for the vids tiibet, they're really appreciated:wub2:

So I thought I'd see MIKA, for the first time, even though I've dragged myself up to the Palace to see Annie Lennox, I figure this would be a good time. I had great seats FF 5, fan-section.

Trouble is, so many people rushed forward, I actually got pushed out of my seat, and spent about an hour trying to get back there. Literally. And to the group of screaming girls, and one screaming guy: yeah, I'm sure you love MIKA, and I'm impressed you know the words to all the songs, but what little I got to see AND HEAR, well, SHUT THE EFF UP! I came to see MIKA and HEAR MIKA, not you.

So, kids (I'm 49) here's a bit of manners: don't scream I LOVE YOU MIKA (or whomever) all night. They are there to sing. And stop waving glow sticks and everything else, and when you STAND IN YOUR SEAT (not on the floor) you block the view for me, and everyone behind me.

I like MIKA, but I'll stick with DVDs from now on. And the parents who took their kids? Nice thought, but what was with the constant drinking? You were BOMBED, and NOT DRIVING, I hope. Poor example for the kids.

Overall? I was glad I got to HEAR the concert, because I sure as H*** didn't get to see much of it. The RUDEST people around me, and those damn cell phone videographers. GIVE IT A REST.

And the staff? You only made it worse. To think I had an actual ticket for an actual seat, and had to fight for over an hour DURING THE SHOW to get there. And to be threatened with being thrown out. Nice.

Sorry MIKA. You'd better send out a note to your fans to behave, because you not only lost me, but I'll find your latest. released on some music piracy site. My night was effed up, and I figure you owe me money.

Strange how everyone was like one big happy family for Grace Jones at The Hammerstein. Depeche Mode? RUDE PEOPLE WITH VIDEO CAMS. Pet Shop Boys? RUDE VIP METH QUEENS. Mika? RUDE PEOPLE WHO WOULDN'T STAY IN THEIR SEATS, and WOULDN'T GET OUT OF MINE.

Over all? Evening sucked. Big time.

Did Perez & Mika have a falling out??

I read one of Perez's tweets last week that he was going to NYC to see Mika.

But I haven't read one tweet & haven't seen pics or anything on his perezhilton.com about Mika's NYC show????

Amybody know anything?

To iBernard - that really sucks big time!

Most MFCers & others have had good experiences from the Mika shows.

I agree with you I go to see & hear Mika sing not everyone around me.

I get the singing along to a certain extent especially when Mika wants a chorus or two.

But it shouldn't be to the point where you can't hear the artist at all.

WOW that is AMAZING!!!! i didnt know that restaurant was open that late! and mika there? wow! thats defintiely one of those moments/places u dont expect to see him.

Did Perez & Mika have a falling out??

I read one of Perez's tweets last week that he was going to NYC to see Mika.

But I haven't read one tweet & haven't seen pics or anything on his perezhilton.com about Mika's NYC show????

Amybody know anything?

I didn't think Perez said anything about seeing Mika in NYC -- I only saw

him tweet about being in NYC on Saturday for some club opening he

was doing. :blink:

And even if he did see Mika, I don't think his not tweeting about it means

anything negative. :dunno:

To iBernard - that really sucks big time!

It really is a shame you had such a negative experience -- but to say

you're going to buy Mika's music illegally from now on? Really? It's

Mika's fault that the fans around you misbehaved? I don't think so.

A couple of more vids from NYC:

Pick Up Off the Floor:

Dr John:

I think I have uploaded all my New York vids now. Well, I have Big Girls twice (my hubby filmed it too, because he knew MFCers were big girls). I will check if there is any difference between those two BG vids.