2009 - New York, NY at United Palace Theatre Oct 16 - reports, pictures and videos

guylainem123

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Videos:

In the lobby during warm up before getting kicked out

opening

Relax

Big Girl, I lost my voice during relax so I sound funny:blush-anim-cl:

trumpet

trash can

WAG

Toy Boy

Thank You speech

storm effects

Pick Up Off the Floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHj0ovrBkIs

Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAxhicAa528

One Foot Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWQkcaloj0A

Love Today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMV24_FN14

I See You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHY50OUY2fQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFY55cqJ28

Happy Ending:wub2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0-d_Jq0qU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_2CENAdec

Grace Kelly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjWlflUdP-o

GAWD: THANX for ALL these videos.

I was especially hoping someone got this:

trumpet

Thank you Alice for taking us on your Mika Journey!

No one can tell it like you!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I love all the pics from limos to buses to horses.:roftl::roftl:

The United Palace slideshow is awesome!:thumb_yello:

Great Mika & Team photos!

I love you Malecon Restaurant story!

Too Kewl!!

Thank you so much!!

I am really happy you experienced everything you did &

had a really good time!

Bravo Alice!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

BOSTON SHOW:

IMG_2505.jpg

Thanks Kodes100 for the mention.

WOW: You've got it all organized--GREAT!

(I can tell you appreciate analysis and order--Right?)

I need to say that none of the pix are "mine"

'cause once pix make it into 'cyberspace,'

I am a ruthless pirate . . .

It was an amazing show:

MIKA, and that suitcase of his,

are going to travel far and wide!

NYC SHOW:

mikanyoct162009.jpg

Edited by A. Clay

The pictures and videos I have are lousy :sneaky2: but thank goodness for all of you that got amazing videos and pictures!! :thumb_yello:

The venue was beautiful inside. I wasn't such a fan of the seating arrangements, but what can you do? I had a lot of fun and danced my butt off. I really enjoyed the show. He did an amazing job. And the meet and greet was short and sweet. It was a very very good night. Went by fast, but time flies when you're having fun, right? :biggrin2:

You guys have it all wrong about any "falling out" thing:

IF there was one, it's SO OBVIOUS that it was with that famous

shoe designer--you know the one!

2cwndv.jpg

:mf_rosetinted: Not only is MIKA making a statement about that designer's shoes,

but about ANY & ALL shoes! :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by A. Clay

To whom it may concern:

I purchased a ticket for this show which was FF 5, which should have been the third seat in on the left of the main aisle.

I wish I was able to stay there for the night, and not have to fight to get back there after I got pushed out into the aisle by over-zealous fans.

I'm 49 years old, and my first concert was in 1977 and was Freddie Mercury and Queen.

This summer alone, I saw Grace Jones, Pet Shop Boys, and Depeche Mode.

I thought I'd "support a new artist" and travel down from CT to see MIKA, at the same venue where I saw Annie Lennox a few years back.

I had the WORST time.

Seeing I was in the "fan section" I was shocked at the amount of alcohol consumed by those around me.

I'm sure everyone loves MIKA, but I didn't exactly feel the love when they kept SCREAMING "I LOVE YOU MIKA" while he was singing.

I'm impressed everyone knows the lyrics to his songs (as do I, but I choose to sing in the car), but unless MIKA was "asking" the audience to sing along,

I could barely hear MIKA as the "MikaFans" around me kept screaming every single syllable.

It took me over an hour to get back to my seat (where my backpack was, with my medication, and ID, along with my jacket),

but it took me over an hour to convince the "security" people that I was holding a ticket for a seat someone else INSISTED was theirs.

So I was threatened with EXPLUSION FROM THE VENUE unless I "calmed down" (and this was during the show).

I could go on, but I didn't even see most of the show until I got to my seat,

and then I had to watch through a barrage of the rudest girls with all manner of video recording devices.

So I actually, from FF 5, saw MORE of the show through VIDEO RECORDING DEVICES instead of through my own eyes.

I've seen hundreds of concerts, and this was the worst concert experience I've had, even surpassing the recent PET SHOP BOYS at The Hammerstein,

because I got stuck directly behind VIP queens, busy with some iPhone App called GRINDR, who were so f'd up on meth, or Tina, or coke,

or whatever it was.

This was worse. This was WAY worse.

And I have a disability (I've had six surgeries on my spine: four lumbar, two cervical).

I've purchased everything MIKA had for sale on iTunes, and the deluxe versions too, when available.

I bought BOTH his DVDs.

And I WASTED $25 on a "fan seating" ticket, and didn't even bother to stick around for the "after-show" because the people around me

were loud, rude, mostly drunk, and vulgar.

Then there was the extra $25 or so ticket fees on top of the price of admission.

I spent $28 to take the train in from New Haven (CT). I rode the A train alllllllllll the way uptown, then downtown.

I spent $12 to park my car in New Haven.

And $10 on the subway card.

So I wasted about $100 just to have a really bad experience, to support an artist I thought worthy of a "one-off" experience.

Tell MIKA that he needs to send out a "fan letter" to his dearly devoted, and tell them to think of the other people around them.

I felt badly for the kids behind me (when I was finally seated) because I'm sure they are going to grow up to be people who don't go to concerts

because of the rude, drunk, and vulgar people.

I'm going to pass on the DVDs to my nieces, because when I think of MIKA, I think of the really terrible evening I had.

What a waste of my money. An absolute waste of money.

And to think of how excited I was.

No more. Just disgusted.

I had no idea who to send this letter to, but I thought I'd send it here.

Perhaps you can let his management know.

Maybe it's just my trashy fellow Americans.

But I had a horrible, horrible experience.

I was treated like dirt by people who "had to rush the aisle" and push me out of my seat.

And then I was threatened for most of an hour by the security people.

I tried to "smile like I meant it" but I didn't even have that much energy left.

Thanks MIKA. Have a good career.

But I'll be sharing this experience with everyone who says "MIKA? who are they?"

And WAIT until this hits my blog.

It's so sad when you have a great entertainer, and the very people who support that entertainer

are SCREWED by over-zealous, obnoxious, drunken, screaming, inconsiderate fans...

who won't let go of their video-recording devices.

I didn't know who to send this email to, but I was sending it to anyone with an address for MIKA at this point.

What a sad experience.

Very sad.

Apparently, all you people with YouTube videos were the same RUDE PEOPLE who prevented people like me from actually seeing the show. I was pushed, yes, PUSHED out of my seat (FF 5) which was three in from the aisle. And then I was caught up in the sea of people RUSHING THE STAGE. It took me nearly an hour to get back to my seat, which was then occupied by someone (female) who insisted it was her seat. I nearly got thrown out by the security people. All you people with video cams and phones and all that technology are just RUDE RUDE RUDE...as bad as the girls in front of me waving the glow sticks.

I hated the night. I hated all the rude, self-centered people, and I was really sorry I went. You Mika-maniacs really ruined it for some of us who just wanted to support an up and coming artist.

And to think: I saw Grace Jones at The Hammerstein, and it was like one big happy family.

Mika: have a word with your fans about concert etiquette. They certainly need it.

And the parents of the children were worse: drinking alcohol through the whole show, and standing in the aisle to boot!

I was tempted to sit on the back of my chair, once I got back there, but I wasn't going to ruin the show for the people behind me.

This was a sham. The entire "fan club seating" was a sham.

Good luck Mika. You lost a loyal fan. I won't spend a penny on you in the future. Not one penny.

I already wasted about $200 on your digital downloads, DVDs, and a regrettable concert.

And to the MIKA FANS?

SHAME ON YOU! ALL OF YOU.

If you were there, then SHAME ON YOU.

Omigosh. Pianogirlsammy is the epitome of a teenage fangurl.

:roftl: Love it! Love that this happened for her. :wub2:

Thanks so much.

I just kidna realized what happend this morning as I was retelling the story to my grandad who wanted to hear, and almost cried. Im like woah....it happened.

OK.

If you've spent $200 dollars on Mika merch, especially DVDs, then surely you should understand what a Mika concert is like. Especially being in the 6th row, you should have expected some kind of comotion.

It's kind of unfair to judge Mika's fans by the way SOME people acted in your row.

I don't know how your other concerts have been, but it's hard to believe that all of them are sit downs shows.

I's sorry you had such a terrible time, but with your ailments, i don't think you should go to such a rowdy show. Next time, please go to a Niel Diamond concert. You might have a better time there.

This was my 4th Mika concert. My first one wasn't the best experience, though I had hope for a better show. If I were you, I would hold out for something more. If you were a real Mika fan, you wouldn't be complaining.

And as for your "trashy American" comment... Coming from someone that isn't particularly patriotic, I took great offense to that comment, and I'm very glad to see that you see yourself as trashy, too.

And please post a link to your blog, i'll be sure to read it. :thumb_yello:

Edited by cheeseygoodness

Concerning iBernard on your concert experience......

I spent over 500$, as well on my Mika experience and merchandise.

If you have his DVDs, then you should know how his shows are, people just don't sit down and listen quietly, and don't sing along. He WANTED us to sing along. I'm sorry you got pushed out of your seat, but someone didn't physically pick you up out of your seat, because when I turned around( I was in the front row) when Mika came on to see if anyone was standing, no one was.

I understand what your saying about the security guards, they were rude and inconsiderate to Mika while he was performing.

How dare you say that the fan club seating was a sham, we worked and deserved what we got. We don't get opportunities like that every concert, so just getting that was a huge treat. I feel that you have disrespected Mika, the fan club and the mods.

I am COMPLETELY offended by your comment by saying we were trashy Americans.

PLEASE post your link to your blog when you finish your little review, because I would LOVE to read it, kay thanks bye.

Edited by foalbaby14

iBernard -

First, I get where you're coming from. I too have been to gigs where people have had too much to drink and shout "I LOVE YOU MIKAAAA!!!!" while he's performing. I've also been to shows where fans are shouting - not singing, shouting - the lyrics to his songs so loudly that he's barely audible over the shouting. Yes, it's irritating, and yes, fans should have some more respect in cases like that.

And I understand that security were especially rude at this show; I wasn't there, but my understanding is that Mika specifically gestured for the fans to fill the gap between the first row of seats and the stage (as he's been known to do) and the security people came and forced everyone back, rather rudely.

But ultimately, half of the gig experience lies with outside factors, and half lies with your own response. Yes, I'm aware there were rude security guards and drunk and/or loud fans. And I know firsthand how those can taint the concert experience. But at the end of the day, you're the one in control of how you react as a result of outside factors. You made the choice to let yourself be so deeply angered by these circumstances.

It's no one else's fault that you suffer from disabilities. It's no one else's fault that you elected to spend $100 to see this show. Those are your circumstances and choices, and while I understand they impact your needs at the show, it's not up to a 15 year-old fan in the front row to concern herself with your individual needs or your requirements to happiness. Mika's last show in NYC was at a club, Le Poisson Rouge. I was at that show, and it was a standing venue, packed wall-to-wall with a crush of bodies. A seated gig is much calmer, in fact, than most Mika shows.

Also consider this; again, I'm aware you had an unpleasant concert experience, but you specifically said that you used to enjoy Mika's music, and were excited about the concert. So what do you stand to achieve by coming on his fan forum and announcing that you "won't spend one penny" on Mika in the future? Are you trying to somehow "punish" Mika for one ninety minute experience that didn't go as you'd hoped? When clearly, your issues weren't with Mika himself or the quality of his performance, but with other factors?

If you were to take the high road, you could say, "I've learned my lesson; the front of these shows is too chaotic. Next time, I'll get a balcony seat where I'll be able to see the show without being in the middle of the fray. But at least I got to see a very talented young star at the beginning of what will surely be a long and successful career."

You could say "Damn, the security at the United Palace are brutal. My next Mika gig will be at a different venue."

Or you could even say "It's a shame the live shows are so chaotic, and I won't go to another, but I'll still enjoy Mika's recorded material."

But you're choosing to be angry and victimized, rather than taking the high road.

Clearly, your concert experience was tainted by a few rude security guards and a handful of over-excited fans. I understand that.

But iBernard, did you know that Mika's debut album sold nearly 6 million copies? And yet, you're calling every moment of enjoyment you've gotten from Mika's recorded material a "waste" just because of ONE bad experience with a miniscule fraction of Mika's 6 million-plus fan base.

Yes, shame on the fans who screamed througout Mika's set and tainted the experience.

But more shame on the fair-weather fans who only support Mika when everything goes according to their own roses-and-sunshine plans.

Edited by lollipop_monkey

iBernard -

First, I get where you're coming from. I too have been to gigs where people have had too much to drink and shout "I LOVE YOU MIKAAAA!!!!" while he's performing. I've also been to shows where fans are shouting - not singing, shouting - the lyrics to his songs so loudly that he's barely audible over the shouting. Yes, it's irritating, and yes, fans should have some more respect in cases like that.

And I understand that security were especially rude at this show; I wasn't there, but my understanding is that Mika specifically gestured for the fans to fill the gap between the first row of seats and the stage (as he's been known to do) and the security people came and forced everyone back, rather rudely.

But ultimately, half of the gig experience lies with outside factors, and half lies with your own response. Yes, I'm aware there were rude security guards and drunk and/or loud fans. And I know firsthand how those can taint the concert experience. But at the end of the day, you're the one in control of how you react as a result of outside factors. You made the choice to let yourself be so deeply angered by these circumstances.

It's no one else's fault that you suffer from disabilities. It's no one else's fault that you elected to spend $100 to see this show. Those are your circumstances and choices, and while I understand they impact your needs at the show, it's not up to a 15 year-old fan in the front row to concern herself with your individual needs or your requirements to happiness. Mika's last show in NYC was at a club, Le Poisson Rouge. I was at that show, and it was a standing venue, packed wall-to-wall with a crush of bodies. A seated gig is much calmer, in fact, than most Mika shows.

Also consider this; again, I'm aware you had an unpleasant concert experience, but you specifically said that you used to enjoy Mika's music, and were excited about the concert. So what do you stand to achieve by coming on his fan forum and announcing that you "won't spend one penny" on Mika in the future? Are you trying to somehow "punish" Mika for one ninety minute experience that didn't go as you'd hoped?

If you were to take the high road, you could say, "I've learned my lesson; the front of these shows is too chaotic. Next time, I'll get a balcony seat where I'll be able to see the show without being in the middle of the fray. But at least I got to see a very talented young star at the beginning of what will surely be a long and successful career."

You could say "Damn, the security at the United Palace are brutal. My next Mika gig will be at a different venue."

Or you could even say "It's a shame the live shows are so chaotic, and I won't go to another, but I'll still enjoy Mika's recorded material."

But you're choosing to be angry and victimized, rather than taking the high road.

Clearly, your concert experience was tainted by a few rude security guards and a handful of over-excited fans. I understand that.

But iBernard, did you know that Mika's debut album sold nearly 6 million copies? And yet, you're calling every moment of enjoyment you've gotten from Mika's recorded material a "waste" just because of ONE bad experience with a miniscule fraction of Mika's 6 million-plus fan base.

Yes, shame on the fans who screamed througout Mika's set and tainted the experience.

But more shame on the fair-weather fans who only support Mika when everything goes according to their own roses-and-sunshine plans.

:bow::bow::bow:

I completely agree:wink2::wub2:

Edited by foalbaby14

iBernard -

Also consider this; again, I'm aware you had an unpleasant concert experience, but you specifically said that you used to enjoy Mika's music, and were excited about the concert. So what do you stand to achieve by coming on his fan forum and announcing that you "won't spend one penny" on Mika in the future? Are you trying to somehow "punish" Mika for one ninety minute experience that didn't go as you'd hoped? When clearly, your issues weren't with Mika himself or the quality of his performance, but with other factors?

Ooh this is a well worded post! :wub2:

(The security guards at toronto were rude to, but I shalln't talk about that :teehee:)

I agree with Mana.

Dear Bernard,

I've spent over 250 euros to see Mika in London once. The concert was very chaotic, a lot of people were rude etc. There even was one pissed guy who, during the song Any Other World, tried to strangle my friend.

Instead of blaming it on Mika and every fan in the building, I got over it and said to myself: Ok, maybe London gigs are a bit too chaotic for me, let's not go there anymore.

I would never even THINK about blaming the ARTIST for the way his/her FANS behave. I would've sent a lot of complaint letters to the Tokio Hotel management if that was the case. I think it is rather rude to blame ALL OF US here on his fanclub including Mika himself, for what some fans have done. Who says they were even from the fanclub?

As an experienced concertgoer as yourself might have noticed, when there is a young act, with a young following, they want to dance and sing along and have a good time instead of sitting in a chair. Sitting in chairs can be done in the retirement home, years from now. If you just want to enjoy the concert, as Mana said, get a seat on the balcony, problem solved.

I understand you feel the urge to express your dismay about the situation, but it's unfair don't you think? When a bunch of middle-aged men push me away to get into the train first, I don't blame all of the middle-aged men for being such pricks right?

And go ahead, post it on your blog. You're not the first who doesn't understand Mika and how his shows work.