REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika - 2nd Night @ Hammersmith Apollo, London MARCH 1 2010

Fmbm

This is the review from the Daily Telegraph:

Shiny, happy families

Since releasing his multi-million selling debut album Life In Cartoon Motion in 2007, Mika, the lanky, tousle-haired Lebanese falsetto singer, has been loved and loathed with equal force. Yet, for a musician who divides opinion, much here lacked spark at first.

The sunny guitar of Blue Eyes, taken from last year's album The Boy Who Knew Too Much, and the Disneyesque ballad Any Other World (?) made you wonder why grown men and women would flock to see this children's entertainer.

An answer seemed to come in the middle of the set in a welcome and wonderfully odd moment of pagan ritual. After the saccharine Happy Ending, the doll's house that had made up part of the backdrop suddenly burned down and images of skulls appeared. As Mika broke into his most camp disco track, Love Today, on marched an army of girls in masks - bird, pig and elephant heads as well as skulls.

A mini riot ensued in the audience as Mika commanded them to jump up and down, sending rows of mums into a polite rendition of the punk pogo.

Blinding stage lights shone out on to the crowd, and as the happy faces of clusters of families shone back, the appeal became clear: Mika offers the kind of show that unites generations with a mix of earnest emotion and bizarre, colourful pop, revved up with high levels of audience participation.

Tim Burrows ***

Now that's what I call a balanced review.

He should teach everyone else how to write one!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="Lime"]............ Hi... am seriously trying to get pictures up !! so sorry if lots of failed and deleted messages keep popping up !!! x R X[/color]

Edited by emRachel
wrong colour !

You had me going there for a minute, I really thought you were on the plane with Keifer Sutherland!:naughty:

You know I thought exactly the same thing. It took me a couple of minutes to fully process and realize she was talking about Matthew Fox (or rather his twin :naughty:).

I was thinking maybe it was because of a story I heard Andy Samberg tell about a short film he made before he was famous. They were shooting a scene of a woman getting mugged on the side of the road in California and Kiefer Sutherland pulled over, thinking it was a crime in progress, and tried to intervene. They couldn't believe that Jack Bauer had come out of nowhere to tackle a mugger and save the day. :lmfao:

But you thought the same thing, so I'm not sure what that's about. :dunno::naughty:

Shiny, happy families

Since releasing his multi-million selling debut album Life In Cartoon Motion in 2007, Mika, the lanky, tousle-haired Lebanese falsetto singer, has been loved and loathed with equal force. Yet, for a musician who divides opinion, much here lacked spark at first.

The sunny guitar of Blue Eyes, taken from last year's album The Boy Who Knew Too Much, and the Disneyesque ballad Any Other World (?) made you wonder why grown men and women would flock to see this children's entertainer.

An answer seemed to come in the middle of the set in a welcome and wonderfully odd moment of pagan ritual. After the saccharine Happy Ending, the doll's house that had made up part of the backdrop suddenly burned down and images of skulls appeared. As Mika broke into his most camp disco track, Love Today, on marched an army of girls in masks - bird, pig and elephant heads as well as skulls.

A mini riot ensued in the audience as Mika commanded them to jump up and down, sending rows of mums into a polite rendition of the punk pogo.

Blinding stage lights shone out on to the crowd, and as the happy faces of clusters of families shone back, the appeal became clear: Mika offers the kind of show that unites generations with a mix of earnest emotion and bizarre, colourful pop, revved up with high levels of audience participation.

Tim Burrows ***

Ghastly- if it was a review of someone else I'd vomit and avoid them like the plague.

Love Today:

I See You:

Touches You:

Happy Ending:

Still processing while I write this, so give them time... I have more vids, but this is all now, I need to fly home :)

I think i finally have started :fangurl:ing a bit now :wub2:

Oh man! still on cloud 9 I forgot to say Mika was espectacular and it was a cool show, I did enjoy it a lot! And I had the piano in front of me, so when he spread his legs I had a view ... :naughty:

LG and BG made a good work, well done girls!

It was great to meet you too:thumb_yello:

I am simply `Suzie` and Suziefrommfc on twitter:wink2:

..I will catch up with this thread over the weekend when I get back home after Bristol.

I wasn't sure of your alias in here, thanks for letting me know!

And thanks as well for the organization! Have a blast in Bristol!

It was a real pleasure to meet you and hang out with you for the day, we had a lot of fun:wink2:

You had me going there for a minute, I really thought you were on the plane with Keifer Sutherland!:naughty:

Yeah it was really fun. Forgot to say, thanks girls for letting me wave the boa feather with you :biggrin2:

You're mixing Lost with 24 Rose.

:lmfao:

Did I meet you too, right? are you the girl with blond (or light brown hair) hair by the shoulder and glasses?

:mf_rosetinted: Gig fatigue

Bet so :naughty:

Oh? I thought you were going today to Brighton too!

Shiny, happy families

Tim Burrows ***

Thanks for the report silver!

You know I thought exactly the same thing. It took me a couple of minutes to fully process and realize she was talking about Matthew Fox (or rather his twin ).

I was thinking maybe it was because of a story I heard Andy Samberg tell about a short film he made before he was famous. They were shooting a scene of a woman getting mugged on the side of the road in California and Kiefer Sutherland pulled over, thinking it was a crime in progress, and tried to intervene. They couldn't believe that Jack Bauer had come out of nowhere to tackle a mugger and save the day.

But you thought the same thing, so I'm not sure what that's about. :naughty:

Oh? were you there too? Shame that I couldn't meet all of you, as I said there were a lot of MFC'ers :naughty:

He was indeed very similar to Matthew Fox, I was about to ask to take a pic of him, but that would have sound to him rather crazy and weird :naughty:

Edited by hathor

I will catch up with this thread over the weekend when I get back home after Bristol.

Suzie, it was a pleasure to met you!!!!

Thank you for the numbers and the organization!!!! :thumb_yello:

Oh? were you there too? Shame that I couldn't meet all of you, as I said there were a lot of MFC'ers :naughty:

He was indeed very similar to Matthew Fox, I was about to ask to take a pic of him, but that would have sound to him rather crazy and weird :naughty:

No not this time but I've been to most of the London gigs when he's on a proper tour so maybe next time. :biggrin2: