Bristol Evening Post - gig review March 03/10

silver

Mika's night has happy ending

Mika is a man who has got more than a sprinkling of magic to him when it comes to great music

From the moment the spotlight hit the black fabric screen and it dramatically fell revealing a white screen of striking, huge pencil sketches until he danced around the stage to his finale song Grace Kelly, he demanded the full attention of the crowd.

Prancing around the stage in a grey jacket complete with tails, white shirt and skinny black trousers, he put his all in to an energetic performance.

He kicked off with a strong disco feel that was captured by a vast field of glowing mobiles and flashing cameras held aloft by fans.

Lustily singing Big Girl with cartoon lips and voluptuous images of women in basques floating on the screen behind him. he skipped alongside a 20ft long inflatable woman's leg floating in the air complete with giant polka dot stilettos.

He greeted the crowd with a shout of "Welcome to my night of infinite randomness". And with that comment he summed up his entire performance.

Quirky, brightly coloured bold cartoons flanked his performance as he lay on top of a piano kicking his legs in the air.

In a show packed with energy he attacked each of his songs with a huge sense of fun.

Any Other World and Happy Ending had a bit more of a reflective feel to them with a haunting mood. But overall it was a show that was about delight, light heartedness and putting a smile on the audience's face. His sheer enthusiasm was infectious. And the visuals were excellent - from silver sparkles falling from a glittering umbrella to gold confetti being fired across the stage - it was a colourful, lively performance.

Mika has such vocal ability and creative talent it was no wonder the show was a sellout. Its vibrant feel had the crowd singing and dancing with him. His fans walked out of the door with a substantial spring in their step.

9/10

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mika's night has happy ending

Mika is a man who has got more than a sprinkling of magic to him when it comes to great music

From the moment the spotlight hit the black fabric screen and it dramatically fell revealing a white screen of striking, huge pencil sketches until he danced around the stage to his finale song Grace Kelly, he demanded the full attention of the crowd.

Prancing around the stage in a grey jacket complete with tails, white shirt and skinny black trousers, he put his all in to an energetic performance.

He kicked off with a strong disco feel that was captured by a vast field of glowing mobiles and flashing cameras held aloft by fans.

Lustily singing Big Girl with cartoon lips and voluptuous images of women in basques floating on the screen behind him. he skipped alongside a 20ft long inflatable woman's leg floating in the air complete with giant polka dot stilettos.

He greeted the crowd with a shout of "Welcome to my night of infinite randomness". And with that comment he summed up his entire performance.

Quirky, brightly coloured bold cartoons flanked his performance as he lay on top of a piano kicking his legs in the air.

In a show packed with energy he attacked each of his songs with a huge sense of fun.

Any Other World and Happy Ending had a bit more of a reflective feel to them with a haunting mood. But overall it was a show that was about delight, light heartedness and putting a smile on the audience's face. His sheer enthusiasm was infectious. And the visuals were excellent - from silver sparkles falling from a glittering umbrella to gold confetti being fired across the stage - it was a colourful, lively performance.

Mika has such vocal ability and creative talent it was no wonder the show was a sellout. Its vibrant feel had the crowd singing and dancing with him. His fans walked out of the door with a substantial spring in their step.

9/10

T4P Very nice and fair review. Thanks god someone mentioned his creative talent and vocal ability.:thumb_yello:

Sorry to be biased, not only to Mika, but to one of our local papers (one my dad used to buy everyday, I should add), but I absolutely adore this review:wub2:

The writer totally understands where Mika is coming from, and clearly knows that he's a born showman and songwriter.

I agree we should send this review to the Times, and ask if he was watching the same person!

Archived