Your "superfan" list

lollipop_monkey

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess for me it would be Michael Jackson, I've short movies he did, DVD tours, special edition of some magazines that talked about him, apart from all the CD's of course. Recently I got as a present his biography which I haven't had the time to read yet..Never had the chance to go to a concert though, he came to my country when I was waaaay too young and never came back, beause of the accusations and then, his death :tears:

But I wouldn't say is the same as with Mika, I didn't follow every step he gave :teehee: nor did I thought much about the legal situation he went through... if it were Mika I'll defend him and get into fights with everyone that would though of him as guilty:naughty:

Mika is really the first artist I consider myself a fan of, MJ was just an artist that made music and shows I really enjoyed (hope that make sence)

none anymore, but it used to be several boybands in the 90s. :teehee: new kids on the block, take that, caught in the act, touché and worlds apart. though i guess hardly anyone outside of germany (or in worlds apart's case also france) remembers the last 3. :naughty:

take that lost me as their superfan in 2007, when i followed them and mika on the same tour, as both were in the same cities at the same time in some cases... and in that direct comparison it just was too obvious that it's much more rewarding to be mika's superfan than take that's! :bleh:

Interesting that there seems to be a bit of a George Michael, Queen and Elton John love running through the veins of Mika fans. :fisch:

For anyone over about 25, I think the Mika thing is probably different as well because any fangurling that took place more than 10 years ago probably took place as a mostly solo thing. I think the online world with its instantaneous information sharring and community aspect serves as a real incubator to super fandom. :teehee:

I was a super fan of a country band called Diamond Rio starting when I was 7. :roftl: I follow them on Twitter now and still buy all their CDs, but I've never managed to see them live. So far Mika and Carrie Underwood are the only ones I've travelled for. :blush-anim-cl:

I'm a pretty big fan of Celtic Woman, Celtic Thunder, Gaelic Storm, Riverdance, and Lord of the Dance. Pretty much anything Irish music/dance related will keep me happy :wub2:

That's quite the change from Mika. :teehee: I went through a phase where I couldn't get enough of this song:

to be honest I'm pretty loyal once I like a band/singer etc ... I always keep up with their careers and buy albums etc ... whether it's Madonna or Robbie Williams :teehee:

Me too. I can't think of any artist that I ever really got into that I totally moved away from. I can't ever imagine being at a point where I'm not interested in whatever Mika is up to.

in that direct comparison it just was too obvious that it's much more rewarding to be mika's superfan than take that's! :bleh:

Oh? in what ways? :teehee: Oh and were you ever a fan of Gil Ofarim? I was just thinking about him a couple days ago while enjoying some '90s nostalgia. :roftl:

and were you ever a fan of Gil Ofarim? I was just thinking about him a couple days ago while enjoying some '90s nostalgia. :roftl:

Wow, you're bringing up Gil! OMG! I was such a fangirl :naughty:

These were my Gil/Hanson/the Moffatts times :biggrin2:

Some memories...

First big hit

Together with The Moffatts back when he was a teenie star

*nostalgia* (note: Nick Carter's sister is playing the girl in the video - if anyone cares :mf_rosetinted:)

I LOVE what he's doing today though - His band ACHT supported Alex Max Band on his German tour :thumb_yello:

He has changed for the better in so many ways!

But I also love his solo stuff he did in recent years.

And as a member of Zoo Army

Well, sorry for getting a bit off topic. Blame it on Mana (and Gil).

I still like Gil's music today...but I'm not a superfan.

Besides Mika that description would maybe also fit for Patrick Wolf, Wouter Hamel. I do travel for them, but not to the extend I'm following Mika though. I love going to gigs but I don't travel far for most of them.

Oh, and I would have given a lot to see Queen live. I envy everybody who had the chance to do that.

For anyone over about 25, I think the Mika thing is probably different as well because any fangurling that took place more than 10 years ago probably took place as a mostly solo thing. I think the online world with its instantaneous information sharring and community aspect serves as a real incubator to super fandom. :teehee:

Absolutely! As a child/teenager I had a couple major crushes on bands/artists, such as Backstreet Boys or The Kelly Family :blush-anim-cl: and actually, I'm kinda happy not to have had a forum like this one to feed my fangurliness, that would've been dangerous! :lmfao:

But I had some pen-friends (yes, PEN, real letters, handwritten! :aah:) also Kelly Family fans, from Portugal but also from other countries.

Don't know if you remember it or if you have experienced it, but about 12/15 years ago it was very common to find pen friends through teen magazines, and I had 2 or 3 schoolmates who were into that too, so we ended up exchanging adresses and in the end, each of us had like 10 pen friends! :roftl: It was fun, actually...*sigh* :teehee:

I wouldn't do this for anyone else than Mika. I never even much cared for music before I heard Mika. Years ago I used to listen to George Michael, that's why I love seeing him on twitter these days, and I liked Dire Straits a lot, I even went to see them here in Helsinki, but I didn't much follow news about them etc., I just bought some records. I have always enjoyed live concerts though, mostly Finnish pop music.

So that's why I'm so happy about Mika's music, it's like a new world. His voice is so beautiful and so different than any other voice :wub2: I'm still much more interested in live concerts and live recordings than listening to albums and I love acoustic versions. The energy in Mika concerts is something I have never experienced anywhere else.

I like Rufus too, his voice is amazing, but I have seen him live only once. I can't imagine traveling for anyone else than Mika. Well, I might travel to see Rufus somewhere near, like in Estonia or Sweden. I don't usually like female voices at all, I usually never listen to them, but I like hearing iMMa and Ida with Mika, and I have even listened to Adele a bit, because her voice is stunning :wub2:

Hahah, as a kid or a teenager I never had any posters on my wall or anything. I just read books :teehee:

(Edit: I did buy some vinyls, and I still have some GM vinyls somewhere.)

That's quite the change from Mika. :teehee: I went through a phase where I couldn't get enough of this song:

I LOVE that song! I become completely addicted to it from time to time :biggrin2: One time in dance class we did a dance to it. I couldn't get enough of it!

well superfan? There's only one i'm' superfan of and that's Mika.. don't know why, but this is the first time i seem to be this bad :roftl:

trying to collect as many things as possible, even trying to go gigs abroad if it cooperates with work

this being crazy (obsessed thing) came to me after i first saw him on stage. All that energy he displays on stage... First Time EVER when i went to a concert where i had seated places and didn't sit down the entire show :teehee:

i'm into other artists too, but not like Mika, i really like a belgian singe Milow now, and of course would like to see him perform, but i don't think i'd drive three hours or something for him and i wont start to buy merch except cd's if i like them :teehee:

Interesting that there seems to be a bit of a George Michael, Queen and Elton John love running through the veins of Mika fans. :fisch:

hehe, yes, that's true. :teehee: (george michael, elton john, a little bit)

and a lot of us seem to have 'fan personalities' or something like it, so it's not surprising there was/is someone else besides mika...

OMG, being a fan was so much different. i went to my very first concert at 16 - STING. that did it, i became a huge fan. but all we could do was look through magazines to find some article and cut it out or rent some old movie with him. or watch mtv for hours in hopes of a glimpse...

the first time i was on twitter, it felt so weird to me, like i was invading someone's privacy...:blush-anim-cl:

i was STING obsessed for a while. there was one german band, too.

now, it's mika and rufus wainwright.

oh, and there's an american DJ that gave me one of my best concert experiences EVER (and i've been to a lot), because it's exactly the music i like: pretty lights. i can't wait to see him live again. :boing:

if you like electronic music, look him up, his music is free to download. :wink2:

But I had some pen-friends (yes, PEN, real letters, handwritten! :aah:) also Kelly Family fans, from Portugal but also from other countries.

Don't know if you remember it or if you have experienced it, but about 12/15 years ago it was very common to find pen friends through teen magazines, and I had 2 or 3 schoolmates who were into that too, so we ended up exchanging adresses and in the end, each of us had like 10 pen friends! :roftl: It was fun, actually...*sigh* :teehee:

OMG, I had 3 penfriends when I was younger, but it was organised through school. I had one in France, one in Finland and one in England (that I'm actually friends with on Facebook :teehee:)

I would say I'm a superfan of U2 and Hanson (but used to be a huge fan of Savage Garden and Aqua)...

I travelled to Melbourne, even though I could've gone to the Sydney shows, I sat in line for hours (in the rain I might add!) to get a pretty good place in the venue and then bought merch afterwards... I also have all their albums and DVDs (incl. 4 versions of No Line On The Horizon) and also occasionally go onto their official site.

I've been a fan of Hanson since I was 13 and I have all their albums except for MMMBop and Boomerang (but if I did, they probably would've cost a lot, esp. Boomerang). I've started collecting their DVDs and I used to have a bunch of posters and stuff... Ooooh, and I have some singles from Middle of Nowhere that I bought off eBay... I'm very seriously considering getting their Hansonopoly board game, and if I had teh money to travel over to the US for one of their concerts, then I definitely would!

Hows that?

Anyone who knows me could probably answer this question for me :) but I guess I'll state it anyway:

No Doubt is a band that I follow most closely. The very first time I saw them live I traveled about 12 hours to see them (my poor dad drove me there and back home again the same night!) I think I was 17 or so. I will buy anything they put out and I'll most likely love it (although I'm not a complete Stepford that I'll say I love absolutely every song they've written either). No Doubt is the band that I've been a "superfan" the longest. Going on 16 years of being a fan!

Queen is my other number 1 band, but it is difficult to follow a band that no longer tour.

I'll also travel for Mika and the Killers but it really is limited to those 3/4 bands.

Archived