Your "superfan" list

lollipop_monkey

After reading the thread about The Guardian wanting to interview so-called "superfans", it made me think.

Apart from Mika, are there any other artists you'd consider yourself a "superfan" of? That is to say, you'd pre-order every album they released even without necessarily hearing a preview, you have all their previous albums, you might buy some merch, you follow what they're doing on Twitter/Facebook etc, and you'd probably willing to sit on a train for three hours to see them perform live.

If so, what other artists are you a "superfan" of? :teehee:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:teehee: before Mika... i was a huge fan of John Mellencamp.

i saw him everytime he came to Montreal (probably 6 or 7 times (or more :teehee:) & owned every album that came out. I didn't travel to see him, he used to come here every year.

that all changed in 2008. John came 2 days after Mika & i decided to skip John & see Mika.... :wub2: still not sure how i went from John to Mika... their music is so different :aah:

since Mika is not coming to Montreal this year, i thought i should go see John again.... i think he is upset with me :tears: .... he skipped Montreal in favor of Ottawa :sneaky2:

I'm sorry John!!!!!! :roftl:

No-one else. For all other artists I only buy albums after having listened to at least some of the songs.

I have only had such blind faith in the quality of new albums for Queen and George Michael but they are history now :emot-sad:

I was a big big fan of Duran Duran when I was younger .... and I wanted to know everything about them and to listen just DD.... :wub2:

But that was a time when they were on a break ...and didn't do anything, because when they were very popular I was a baby :teehee: and I discover them later in my elementary school.... :biggrin2:

I always wanted to see them live but they didn't tour then... and after 10 years finally I was at Duran Duran, during and after Duran Duran gig I had the most amazing filling, I ever had.

And finally last year when I saw Mika live I had that amazing filling again but this time was something more, because I waited for Duran Duran many years ... but for Mika, I din't wait I saw him in that perfect moment.... :wub2:

I hope you understand me :biggrin2:

and by the way.... I like this thread :thumb_yello:

Hmmm, good question. In the past I would have said

Elton John, David Bowie and Queen, but not now.

I guess aside from Mika, I'd say Wouter Hamel -- I'd sit on a train for

3 hours to go to see him, and definitely would buy just about anything he

produced. :wub2: After that, I don't think there's any musical artist I'd

consider myself a "superfan" of...

Of course, I do have that pesky "Disney" problem, which takes up

a lot of my time and money... :blush-anim-cl: Does that count? :naughty:

When I was very young (1970's) I was a huge fan of Donny Osmond and Elton John. My dad worked in a big hotel in Amsterdam and he met Elton John there. Elton gave him his single Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, since then I was his fan. Met him on several occasions, and have all his albums.

Donny was more a fantasy of a very young girl! Never seen him live, not at a gig, not in person.

My hubby and I were big fans of Queen, of course. I still am. And miss Freddy untill today!

Mika is now my absolute nr 1! I love him as a person, and as musician! Met him several times, and went to his gigs several times in the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium, and had the pleasure and the honor to be Big Girl on two occasions! Love his mum too! Last time I met her, we had a very pleasant conversation!

My number 2 is Wouter Hamel! Been to his gigs several times, have his albums, met him on several occasions, and love his music! And have been working for the Wouter Hamel Secret Promotion Team! Was great fun! Will go to his gig in Oktober again!

After reading the thread about The Guardian wanting to interview so-called "superfans", it made me think.

Apart from Mika, are there any other artists you'd consider yourself a "superfan" of? That is to say, you'd pre-order every album they released even without necessarily hearing a preview, you have all their previous albums, you might buy some merch, you follow what they're doing on Twitter/Facebook etc, and you'd probably willing to sit on a train for three hours to see them perform live.

If so, what other artists are you a "superfan" of? :teehee:

Franz Ferdinand still I guess ... I still try and keep up with what they are doing ... and will buy their new album regardless cos' I love them so much ... in the past A-ha too .... have everything they've done since I was 12 years old ... seen them live quite afew times ... they split up last year for good - so I went to see their last London show ... was very very emotional ... they have a DVD just out of their very last show in Oslo ... I shall buy that ... :wub2: Blur still abit .... you can't love a band half your life and not still love their music ... heard rumours they might be doing a new album this year ... not sure ... will buy it if they do ... to be honest I'm pretty loyal once I like a band/singer etc ... I always keep up with their careers and buy albums etc ... whether it's Madonna or Robbie Williams :teehee:

Apart from Mika, only Queen fit in that description! :teehee:

I'm still collecting their albums (in CD, Vinyl,...) and DVDs and even though I'm not an avid collector of merchandise, I can't say I wouldn't buy some stuff if I could... :blush-anim-cl: I also own some books, t-shirts, badges, postcards, magazine/newspaper articles,...

And I'd DEFINITELY sit on a train for waaaaaaay more than 3 hours if I needed to, if I knew I could see them perform! (I've seen them with Paul Rodgers, in Lisbon, and that took a 3 hour train ride, so...I would do more if it was with Freddie!)

And they're the only band that I've been listening to since I was a child, and I can't get enough of them, so...yes, I'm a very proud Queen superfan! :wub2:

:teehee:

thats a good topic for me... i get SO fangurly with like so many artists (no, i didnt use the word obsessed, but it would fit...:mf_rosetinted:)

Mika is of course my number one... :wub2: never been quite that "superfan" with any other artists in a long time...

People who know me know i'm a huge Shania Twain fan (or was, shes not singing anymore) but yes. I collected 25454543 things, magazines, CDS i got a box of 20 singles (i honestly dont know what to do with them :lmfao:) saw her in show, fangurled, etc etc... i guess mika kinda filled the hole i had after her leaving the musical scene:wub2:

I'm also a big James Blunt fan. but i wouldnt say superfan... i dont collect stuff... i just go to concerts and :fangurl: for weeks:mf_rosetinted:

I find it impossible to REALLY love more than one artist at the time... i mean, i can love several, i just cant be as involved with one (like mika) as another one... :dunno:

i talk too much:mf_rosetinted:

the end:biggrin2:

Apart from Mika, only Queen fit in that description! :teehee:

I'm still collecting their albums (in CD, Vinyl,...) and DVDs and even though I'm not an avid collector of merchandise, I can't say I wouldn't buy some stuff if I could... :blush-anim-cl: I also own some books, t-shirts, badges, postcards, magazine/newspaper articles,...

And I'd DEFINITELY sit on a train for waaaaaaay more than 3 hours if I needed to, if I knew I could see them perform! (I've seen them with Paul Rodgers, in Lisbon, and that took a 3 hour train ride, so...I would do more if it was with Freddie!)

And they're the only band that I've been listening to since I was a child, and I can't get enough of them, so...yes, I'm a very proud Queen superfan! :wub2:

I couldn't write it better myself, so I'm just quoting Mary. :thumb_yello:

Edit: Maybe I should add that they played in Brazil with Paul Rodgers and I couldn't go cause I didn't work and my beloved parents thought it was a waste of money. One of the worst days of my life. :naughty:

I was a big big fan of Duran Duran when I was younger .... and I wanted to know everything about them and to listen just DD.... :wub2:

But that was a time when they were on a break ...and didn't do anything, because when they were very popular I was a baby :teehee: and I discover them later in my elementary school.... :biggrin2:

I always wanted to see them live but they didn't tour then... and after 10 years finally I was at Duran Duran, during and after Duran Duran gig I had the most amazing filling, I ever had.

And finally last year when I saw Mika live I had that amazing filling again but this time was something more, because I waited for Duran Duran many years ... but for Mika, I din't wait I saw him in that perfect moment.... :wub2:

I hope you understand me :biggrin2:

and by the way.... I like this thread :thumb_yello:

First time I saw Mika perform, it was in a festival, and guess who played on that same day too?

Duran Duran! :biggrin2:

and :biggrin2: did you like them? I mean Duran Duran

Yep! :biggrin2: Great show, and since the setlist was almost a greatest-hits compilation, it was even better (I could sing along to some of the songs I knew! :roftl:).

First time I saw Mika perform, it was in a festival, and guess who played on that same day too?

Duran Duran! :biggrin2:

Yes, of course, who can forget that Super Bock Super Rock festival?????:biggrin2::naughty::mf_rosetinted:

Btw, i was a duranie in my younger years...:mf_rosetinted:

I am a huge music fan since.. forever.

First cruch were PLatinum Blonde, a canadian band very popular in te 80s. Then it was Duran Duran (who I am going to see tomorrow for the first time EVER)

At 16. met the man of my life , oups band... Bon Jovi. There the ones I saw so many times, there the only one I travel to go to a concert...

These days, besides Mika, who has still yet to see live, I like Wouter Hamel and still fangurl over Bon Jovi and Duran as well as a Quebec singer called Nicola Ciccone.

superfan? I guess just AFI and Placebo. Those 2 and Mika are are the only artists i have tattooed on my body..foorrreevverr

Its mainly AFI though, over anyone else. Because when i compare how i am as an AFI fan to how i am as a fan of all the other artists i like, its completely different. They've been a huge part of my life for the last 8 years, so of course I stay involved and really dedicated. I have a tattoo for them right in the middle of my chest over my heart, so yea, im a fan. :naughty:

And merch-wise, its obvious. I literally have a storage tub of AFI shirts in my living room. :teehee:

I used to be a Queen fan, but now this feeling is not that ardent.. Like to old good friends. Now i can state that Mika is the only one for me. Of course, I have my favourite singers (mostly women), and I'm interested in Depp works (shame on me, I still haven't seen his last movies). But Mika is my only love ;)

I was thinking exactly about this last night and here it is, a thread about it! :shocked::teehee:

The majority of my "superfan" moments lasted no longer than several months, yet some have stuck with me ever since they started - first one was the Finnish band HIM. Thanks to my brother who was the biggest fan of them at their beginnings, I've known HIM ever since I was 7 years old :insane: but I only got into them properly a LOT of years later and all I can say is, you can imagine the level of fandom since I even took up Finnish in order to try to understand some of their songs which are sung in their mother tongue :lmfao: I stopped following them though, once they decided to go mainstream, a.k.a. please the industry and just sound awful.

Bon Jovi are another all-time favourites... gonna see them this summer finally :wub2:

And I think I'm starting to feel the same way about Hurts, though there is a chance this might be only something temporary :thumb_yello:

Janis Joplin :tears: *sigh*... Lou Reed.... well,not the same as Mika,of course I don´t have a Lou Reed pic as a savescreener :mf_rosetinted:

I think only Janis Joplin and Mango... though Mango hasn´t released any album yet,he will do next years and I´m already collecting his blogs and tweets :aah::aah:. If anyone´s interested,Mango is the singer in Clockwork Orchestra...

I was thinking exactly about this last night and here it is, a thread about it! :shocked::teehee:

The majority of my "superfan" moments lasted no longer than several months, yet some have stuck with me ever since they started - first one was the Finnish band HIM. Thanks to my brother who was the biggest fan of them at their beginnings, I've known HIM ever since I was 7 years old :insane: but I only got into them properly a LOT of years later and all I can say is, you can imagine the level of fandom since I even took up Finnish in order to try to understand some of their songs which are sung in their mother tongue :lmfao: I stopped following them though, once they decided to go mainstream, a.k.a. please the industry and just sound awful.

Bon Jovi are another all-time favourites... gonna see them this summer finally :wub2:

And I think I'm starting to feel the same way about Hurts, though there is a chance this might be only something temporary :thumb_yello:

I used to be a huge HIM fan (having their albums, going to gigs, having my bedroom walls full of posters and pics (mainly Ville's...go figure! :teehee:) and I even have their autographs) but I kinda lost that huge interest after Love Metal... I still love their first albums tho. :wub2:

No-one else. For all other artists I only buy albums after having listened to at least some of the songs.

I have only had such blind faith in the quality of new albums for Queen and George Michael but they are history now :emot-sad:

That sums me up too. Queen and George Michael, and the only other bands for me as a sort of committed fan were INXS with Michael Hutchence and Crowded House...both history.

I might add in passing, the first ever album I owned was Harry Nilsson's Nilsson Schmilsson when I was about 11, and the first live gig I ever went to was Lou Reed (support Split Enz) when I was 14. A loooooong time ago:old:

But Mika is the only one who EVER encapsulated voice, music, personality, intelligence, quirkiness and the excitement of being involved right from the start. It's the total :fangurl: experience!

Archived