New Mika Song in French: "Elle me dit"

mellody

I still just can't get enough of this song. I think I broke the replay button. :aah:

Pourquoi tu gâches ta vie? Pourquoi tu gâches ta vie? Pourquoi tu gâches ta vie? Danse danse danse danse elle me dit danse!!!!!

I'm singing whole day this. my brain is on "replay" button :hypo::aah:

(btw my phone and mp3 are playing just one song since 1 June:aah:)

I agree with you, maybe he is just releasing his french songs to sneakily promote the Compiegne gig.

yes he's promoting the gig with the French songs, but he simply wanted to write the songs as well. We all grew to love Mika because he's not about the fame, or getting the number one song in the charts. He does what feels right, collaborates with a boy who writes songs in his bedroom, because the boy's work inspired him, instead of working with someone like Gaga, which would give him an instant hit.

yes, sometimes it can be frustrating, but that's only because we all wish the whole world would realise how amazing Mika is, and would we really want him to be any different? I for one, would not.

I love that he's unpredictable and does things other artists haven't done, even though he is taking a risk by doing it.

Okay I think I finally understand what you (and probably Camille too) are saying :doh: I have been hearing this lyric for 4.5 years now so it's hard to adopt a fresh perspective. :naughty:

So with much, much reading between the lines it would be...

Lonel(iness) is(/feels) so (much more) lonely (when you're living) alone.

But um...there really are some things missing there in order for it to make sense on any level, not just grammatically.

I am happy that he has progressed to writing things like this:

More than an illustration

Points of articulation

Come to life on a brass spring

Such a wonderful play thing

It's the same economy of words but it paints such a vivid and complete picture.

And back on topic. I really really love this line for some reason. The rhythm of EMD is very catchy and that's why I love Yelle's stuff too.

Elle me dit, "qu'est-ce tu fous sur internet,

ca va pas bien dans ta tête.

Regarde le temps que tu perds."

And I wanted to ask...I think the first line was transcribed as "qu'est-ce que tu fous sur internet," but I don't hear the "que". Does it make sense without it?

I really enjoyed our discussion about AOW yesterday, even though it was 2 o'clock here and I was starting to lose the little understanding I had of these lyrics :aah:

As for Toy Boy, I don't listen to it very often but I always appreciate the words very much. They make me love English even more (even if I'm already completely in love with the language :wub2:)

To answer your question about EMD, he doesn't say 'que', it sounds much more familiar like this and is very much how we speak everyday. That makes me realise how fluent in French he really is :original:

I really enjoyed our discussion about AOW yesterday, even though it was 2 o'clock here and I was starting to lose the little understanding I had of these lyrics :aah:

As for Toy Boy, I don't listen to it very often but I always appreciate the words very much. They make me love English even more (even if I'm already completely in love with the language :wub2:)

To answer your question about EMD, he doesn't say 'que', it sounds much more familiar like this and is very much how we speak everyday. That makes me realise how fluent in French he really is :original:

Just quoting to say that I must agree with what you and Christine were saying about Toy Boy. In my opinion, it's one of Mika's most accomplished songs, lyrics wise. It's just perfect. The way it's written is poetic, funny, witty and very clever.

Maybe that is another reason why I am disappointed about Elle Me Dit; It seems like such a "downgrade", if you know what I mean?

P.S.

Having listened a few more times, I think that one of the things that I just can't get over and that bother me a lot about this song is how processed his voice sounds. It almost sounds as if he's singing through a noise filter, if that makes any sense. The voice is not 'clean' sounding :boxed:

yes he's promoting the gig with the French songs, but he simply wanted to write the songs as well. We all grew to love Mika because he's not about the fame, or getting the number one song in the charts. He does what feels right, collaborates with a boy who writes songs in his bedroom, because the boy's work inspired him, instead of working with someone like Gaga, which would give him an instant hit.

yes, sometimes it can be frustrating, but that's only because we all wish the whole world would realise how amazing Mika is, and would we really want him to be any different? I for one, would not.

I love that he's unpredictable and does things other artists haven't done, even though he is taking a risk by doing it.

that was very good said.

I sometimes wish badly more people would know him but am afraid of the effect it could have on his music... if that makes sense

Just quoting to say that I must agree with what you and Christine were saying about Toy Boy. In my opinion, it's one of Mika's most accomplished songs, lyrics wise. It's just perfect. The way it's written is poetic, funny, witty and very clever.

Maybe that is another reason why I am disappointed about Elle Me Dit; It seems like such a "downgrade", if you know what I mean?

P.S.

Having listened a few more times, I think that one of the things that I just can't get over and that bother me a lot about this song is how processed his voice sounds. It almost sounds as if he's singing through a noise filter, if that makes any sense. The voice is not 'clean' sounding :boxed:

Toy Boy is like the Mona Lisa and Elle Me Dit is like a doodle on a napkin. The doodle on the napkin is delightful in its time and it makes you smile, but it's perhaps not as memorable and perfectly put together as the Mona Lisa. That's no good reason to not enjoy it (or be obsessed with it!) :thumb_yello:

So ..is this song only available as a download - and is it only available in France? :blink:

(It may have been mentioned earlier but I don't remember seeing anything)

So ..is this song only available as a download - and is it only available in France? :blink:

(It may have been mentioned earlier but I don't remember seeing anything)

it's not really available yet, it will be digital available from the 11th of july,

but i don't know if it'll only be in france or not

Toy Boy is like the Mona Lisa and Elle Me Dit is like a doodle on a napkin. The doodle on the napkin is delightful in its time and it makes you smile, but it's perhaps not as memorable and perfectly put together as the Mona Lisa. That's no good reason to not enjoy it (or be obsessed with it!) :thumb_yello:

:naughty: Could be. The problem with the doodle on the napkin is that it's perishable, and usually ends up in the bin, instead of in a respectable museum where people cherish it for yonks :wink2:

:naughty: Could be. The problem with the doodle on the napkin is that it's perishable, and usually ends up in the bin, instead of in a respectable museum where people cherish it for yonks :wink2:

Bah, well you know for a bonus track on an album I think it's not too bad really (yes I'm looking at you Erase :naughty:) There are at least 12 songs in the works that are meant to surpass it so I wouldn't expect it's something he plans to have on his English set list in 5 years anyway. I don't like the vocal distortion but just about every song in pop music today is afflicted with the same so I think you'd have to rate them all garbage if that is your judging standard. No point in listening to Katy Perry, Gaga, et al. We just have to hope the trend passes and all these producers stop doing it.

Camille is right. Mika missed or swallowed the "que", it's a more familiar use of the question marker "qu'est-ce que ?". It's used in informal French.

I do share her love of the English language :wub2:

Camille is right. Mika missed or swallowed the "que", it's a more familiar use of the question marker "qu'est-ce que ?". It's used in informal French.

Where does he miss the que?In "Elle me dit qu'est ce que t'as t'as l'air coincé"???

Or in "qu'est-ce que tu fous sur internet"???

Where does he miss the que?In "Elle me dit qu'est ce que t'as t'as l'air coincé"???

In "qu'est c' tu fous sur internet?" :wink2:

He also says "t'auras de quoi être fier" instead of "tu auras", which is often used when we speak French in a familiar context, with our friends or family.

Edited by macboll

I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't certain about it at first.

But today, as soon as I heard the opening line, I don't know, but it was like I was having an epiphany :naughty: I now completely love it, and cannot stop grinning .:wub2::roftl:

:biggrin2:

:roftl: i love this "Doodle on a napkin" :aah:

Bah, well you know for a bonus track on an album I think it's not too bad really (yes I'm looking at you Erase :naughty:) There are at least 12 songs in the works that are meant to surpass it so I wouldn't expect it's something he plans to have on his English set list in 5 years anyway. I don't like the vocal distortion but just about every song in pop music today is afflicted with the same so I think you'd have to rate them all garbage if that is your judging standard. No point in listening to Katy Perry, Gaga, et al. We just have to hope the trend passes and all these producers stop doing it.

Oh god! don't get me going on erase :naughty: *nails... blackboard... nightmares... therapy* :naughty:

But you are right in what you are saying. I see Sara's point in saying that his voice is over worked/changed/distorted, but it seems to be the thing to do at this moment.

I didn't expect much from this song from the start, i was actually very worried that he wouldn't be able to pull it off. I don't even like french music, in general. So I was pleasantly surprised & i do like tihs song! :swoon: is it a work of art? nah! but it's fun & quirky!

If this is a bonus track, then i can't wait to hear the rest of the album! :fangurl:

yes, that's exactly what he did. It's natural to do it here also

I don't think those lyrics were only his effort though...They can't have been as he doesn't even remember them now :roftl:

That's why I am so pleased that he is still hanging around Jodi Marr. :blush-anim-cl:

As for the other lyrics that were mentioned earlier, 'lonely is so lonely alone' has always made sense to me and even found it really expressive way of writing about one being totally left on their own (not only without a partner but also having shut the world out completely) but I am not sure how it sounds to native speaker.

Lyric-wise, to me the most annoying part in a Mika song is the line 'Here's another reason why you shouldn't eat fish' :blink: I just can't get used to it. While grammatically there is nothing wrong with that, it is at odds with the rest of the lyrics that are all poetic and describe a legend. It is similar to watching something really sad in a movie and someone hiccups. You just don't know whether to laugh or cry, except that it does not happen in movies unless it is a grotesque one. :freak:

As for the French lyrics to EMD, I don’t care if they are correct or not. It is just a silly song that do not require the understanding of the lyrics to enjoy the beat. I have just seen the live debut of the song on the Bucharest gig thread and it seems to me that he does not particularly care about this song, either, otherwise he would have put a bit more effort into performing it live.

Edited by suzie

I don't think those lyrics were only his effort though...They can't have been as he doesn't even remember them now :roftl:

That's why I am so pleased that he is still hanging around Jodi Marr. :blush-anim-cl:

As for the other lyrics that were mentioned earlier, 'lonely is so lonely alone' has always made sense to me and even found it really expressive way of writing about one being totally left on their own (not only without a partner but also having shut the world out completely) but I am not sure how it sounds to native speaker.

Lyric-wise, to me the most annoying part in a Mika song is the line 'Here's another reason why you shouldn't eat fish' :blink: I just can't get used to it. While grammatically there is nothing wrong with that, it is at odds with the rest of the lyrics that are all poetic and describe a legend. It is similar to watching something really sad in a movie and someone hiccups. You just don't know whether to laugh or cry, except that it does not happen in movies unless it is a grotesque one. :freak:

As for the French lyrics to EMD, I don’t care if they are correct or not. It is just a silly song that do not require the understanding of the lyrics to enjoy the beat. I have just seen the live debut of the song on the Bucharest gig thread and it seems to me that he does not particularly care about this song, either, otherwise he would have put a bit more effort into performing it live.

That good, huh? I can't comment as I haven't yet summoned up the enthusiasm to listen to it.

I guess whilst writting lyrics the musicians many times need to fit some words or setences just to keep the rythm... no?? :aah:

Yes, that is exactly my sentiment regarding that line in Lady Jane :doh:

I guess whilst writting lyrics the musicians many times need to fit some words or setences just to keep the rythm... no?? :aah:

:blink:

No. anyone can find rhyming words. :dunno: A poet's or a lyricist's job is to find ones that best fit the meaning and the style of the particular poem or song.

:blink:

No. anyone can find rhyming words. :dunno: A poet's or a lyricist's job is to find ones that best fit the meaning and the style of the particular poem or song.

they "shouldn´t" do it, but clearly they do.... As I´m not an english speaker, I can´t talk about english songs, but it happens A LOT in spanish songs...