And to be a bit ontopic :aah: .....

"wearing a heart on the sleeve".... erm... what´s that? I think I´ve read every post here and you´ve mentioned it but I´m not sure I´ve understood the meaning...

in polish that means "to have heart on hand"-to be very honest,be kind to people, open and selfless. but I'm not sure it's the same meaning in English.

And to be a bit ontopic :aah: .....

"wearing a heart on the sleeve".... erm... what´s that? I think I´ve read every post here and you´ve mentioned it but I´m not sure I´ve understood the meaning...

It means to show your feelings, esp. your love for someone, not being able to hide it.

So everybody can see what do you feel.

We learned it at the University :)

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

I would use "fresh" in this context to indicate that a song is current, as opposed to WAG for example that sounded like it was made in the 80s. But who knows what Mika means when he describes his music because he now describes LICM as an album about childhood and it's not (literally). "Fresh", "simple"...I remember some things he was saying about female artists like Robyn...it's all too vague to convey any meaning to people who've never heard the songs.

I think that's why the music vlogs were so exciting last time. He provided tangible examples of what was going on with the music in the album. A choir, some layered sounds, electronic sounds created organically, etc. When Mika says "fresh" it's impossible to know what that really means.

You can agree with the MFC or not, but you will need the MFC sooner or later :naughty:

Oh yes. :roftl:

Yes, actually! Why it is bad to keep balance?

Well I think there are some people who don't keep a balance that's why. :naughty: Which is fine. But I'm not in the gasmics telling people not to fangurl over his eyes so I don't know why anyone would come to the song thread and tell me not to discuss his songs. You know what I mean?

So, do you think there is any validity to my point about the way I think he he may have intended "fall to my feet"?

Yes I do. My concept of this line is not exactly like yours (in fact it's too vague for me to describe), but it is similar. Sparkly mentioned something similar awhile back in the thread as well.

I don't think he meant fall on my feet or fall to my knees or lands on my feet (as a cat would). I think he's painting an image, like the blood red sky and the landslide.

It isn't unconditional. It isn't irrational. It isn't lacking objective thought. It is simply what I like. I like Mika's work because I like the work Mika puts into it.

I am snipping here for the sake of space but let's just pretend that I've quoted everything.

I actually addressed this in my post last night but decided to delete it because I don't want anyone to think I am speaking about them in particular or really anyone on MFC in particular. I'm quoting you now because you've brought it up but again I'm not meaning you in particular because I don't know you well enough to know your history, etc.

But after speaking to literally hundreds of Mika fans I have only come across maybe 2 or 3 people that I think truly "get" Mika. They are close to his age, have similar cultural exposure, similar talents in music and art, similar interest in pop music, similar family situations, etc. Ironically these people are more likely to critique Mika's work than the average person who posts on MFC.

Of course I could be wrong about this but I can't help feeling that the average fan does not "get" Mika in this way and I just don't believe that they seriously love everything he does and everything that he loves independent of the fact that they love Mika himself. In other words if Justin Bieber or Britney Spears created/loved the same things, they would not necessarily love it or think it's genius.

I include myself in this category. I don't "get" Mika 100% which is why I don't love everything 100%. Yes I love his style or I wouldn't be a fan. But he doesn't have just one musical style. Sometimes he sounds like the Beatles and sometimes he sounds like George Michael. You say that the imagery in this song has touched you in a very specific and personal way but surely that is not the case for every single song he's ever written and surely it's not the case for every single person on MFC?

He doesn't put the same amount of work into everything he does (since you mentioned it). Sometimes he writes a song in 15 minutes. Sometimes he produces a song in 48 hours and rushes it to radio. Sometimes his set is "non-existent" the day before the tour starts.

This isn't only about his music. When Mika was blogging he would post a lot of his interests and invariably there would be many people commenting about how amazing his interests are and how much they also love them even though it was clear that they had never heard of it before and in fact weren't even sure what he was talking about. :roftl:

Anyway I could go on but you probably get the picture. I think there is a very wide spectrum between highly critical and totally blind with love, so I am not saying that you or anyone else is irrational. I have also fallen victim to the big brown eyes so I am not saying I am totally rational. I think like Dreamy Q says there is something to be said for finding a balance. :naughty:

in polish that means "to have heart on hand"-to be very honest,be kind to people, open and selfless. but I'm not sure it's the same meaning in English.

It means to show your feelings, esp. your love for someone, not being able to hide it.

So everybody can see what do you feel.

We learned it at the University :)

Thank you both very much.... now I can add this sentence to my list of "odd things English people say" together with "it´s raining cats and dogs" :roftl: :roftl:

The image of cats and dogs falling from sky is odd, but wearing a heart on a sleeve is... :aah: :aah:

Loving your kids and thinking they're the best doesn't mean you don't slap them in the back of the head sometimes because they did something stupid or didn't work hard enough.:mf_rosetinted:

But some people would never say/think that anything Mika does is stupid and if you imply that he doesn't work hard enough they will defend him to the death. Which is fine I suppose. I just think it's ridiculous to expect everyone in his fan club to feel the same way.

At this point I must admit I´m sure I´m a Mika fan now thanks to MFC. After my first year, I felt like moving on, cause I felt nothing while listening to his songs or watching the vids... I just remained here because of MFC, because of the discussions and people here, not for Mika. Then it passed and I recovered my feelings for his music (which is the best, cause honestly, no matter how hot he is, if you don´t like his music it´s pointless to be here).

This is interesting what you write and I think there is so much truth in it.

I don't think I would have kept the same level of interest in him and gone to that many Mika gigs if I didn't have so many friends here. I am sure I'd still like him and would be interested in anything he does (I only signed up for MFC to collect all the info on him and was not particularly interested in the forum activities) but I doubt I'd spend so much time on him in general. Or even, if MFC was just another boring forum most artists have I wouldn't be visiting it. Spending so much time on an online forum can either mean that one has real life or virtual friends over there or that one is really obsessed about the topic.(... or both :roftl:)

Anyway I could go on but you probably get the picture. I think there is a very wide spectrum between highly critical and totally blind with love, so I am not saying that you or anyone else is irrational. I have also fallen victim to the big brown eyes so I am not saying I am totally rational. I think like Dreamy Q says there is something to be said for finding a balance. :naughty:

Yes and I think it´s the place were most of us are. (or is LOL). Sometimes we feel like being critical and sometimes we feel like fangurling... that´s life I guess....

Well I think there are some people who don't keep a balance that's why. :naughty: Which is fine. But I'm not in the gasmics telling people not to fangurl over his eyes so I don't know why anyone would come to the song thread and tell me not to discuss his songs. You know what I mean?

No, of course I'm not defending those people. I just came across and took a chance to defuse tension :wink2: and say something clever :aah:

Thank you both very much.... now I can add this sentence to my list of "odd things English people say" together with "it´s raining cats and dogs" :roftl: :roftl:

The image of cats and dogs falling from sky is odd, but wearing a heart on a sleeve is... :aah: :aah:

Yes, it is the funniest saying in English, wakes up wild imagination :roftl:

Hearts are just a very popular symbol and unless you are talking about health issues, no one thinks of a heart in literal terms, but like this > ♥

But some people would never say/think that anything Mika does is stupid and if you imply that he doesn't work hard enough they will defend him to the death. Which is fine I suppose. I just think it's ridiculous to expect everyone in his fan club to feel the same way.

OMG, sometimes he wears such stupid things :naughty:

This is interesting what you write and I think there is so much truth in it.

I don't think I would have kept the same level of interest in him and gone to that many Mika gigs if I didn't have so many friends here. I am sure I'd still like him and would be interested in anything he does (I only signed up for MFC to collect all the info on him and was not particularly interested in the forum activities) but I doubt I'd spend so much time on him in general. Or even, if MFC was just another boring forum most artists have I wouldn't be visiting it. Spending so much time on an online forum can either mean that one has real life or virtual friends over there or that one is really obsessed about the topic.(... or both :roftl:)

Yes.. I realized this summer... Having a gig in my town, I went to Portugal. Did I travelled to see Mika? NO. Cause I could had gone to Benidorm to see him. I travelled to meet my friends again... And it´s all about MFC, no matter if then I keep relation with them via fb or twitter... our place is MFC...

Hearts are just a very popular symbol and unless you are talking about health issues, no one thinks of a heart in literal terms, but like this > ♥

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!! :floor: :floor:

yes, I was totally thinking in the organ,not about a tattoo or anything...

*makes a fool of herself again in MFC* :roftl:

@rosa

Wear your heart on your sleeve:

Meaning - Display one's emotions openly.

Origin:

This phrase may derive from the custom at middle ages jousting matches. Knights are said to have worn the colours of the lady they were supporting, in cloths or ribbons tied to their arms.

The term doesn't date from that period though and is first recorded in Shakespeare's Othello, 1604. In the play, the treacherous Iago's plan was to feign openness and vulnerability in order to appear faithful:

Iago:

It is sure as you are Roderigo,

Were I the Moor, I would not be Iago:

In following him, I follow but myself;

Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty,

But seeming so, for my peculiar end:

For when my outward action doth demonstrate

The native act and figure of my heart

In compliment extern, 'tis not long after

But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve

For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.

Othello, Act 1, scene 1, 56-65

:biggrin2:

@rosa

Origin:

This phrase may derive from the custom at middle ages jousting matches. Knights are said to have worn the colours of the lady they were supporting, in cloths or ribbons tied to their arms.

The term doesn't date from that period though and is first recorded in Shakespeare's Othello, 1604. In the play, the treacherous Iago's plan was to feign openness and vulnerability in order to appear faithful:

Iago:

It is sure as you are Roderigo,

Were I the Moor, I would not be Iago:

In following him, I follow but myself;

Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty,

But seeming so, for my peculiar end:

For when my outward action doth demonstrate

The native act and figure of my heart

In compliment extern, 'tis not long after

But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve

For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.

Othello, Act 1, scene 1, 56-65

:biggrin2:

OH MY GOD!!! Thank you very much!!!

You just forgot the last sentence though.... I´m sure it´s something like:

"For daws to peck at: I am not what I am. I AM GOLDEN." :mf_rosetinted:

I would use "fresh" in this context to indicate that a song is current, as opposed to WAG for example that sounded like it was made in the 80s.

I guess this is how Mika defines it too? Because that's why I pointed out that saying fresh I don't actually mean "new" (current). I mean something different by it. To tell the truth, I have no idea what to expect from the album :naughty: You are right, vlogs would tell so much more than his explanations!

I hope you didn't count me in this group? :teehee: Because I definitely don't think he can't do stupid things, everyone does stupid things. I try to think he learns from mistakes and I trust that most times he makes things work. You know, the first version for the song is rarely the only version, even after album versions he makes different versions at gigs etc. Sometimes I like every version, sometimes only acoustic versions (but always live versions).

I also believe that if there are moments when he has not practiced enough he is aware of it. Of course he is. Those times he has obviously decided to use his time for something else (maybe for something more important) than practicing. I'm sure he doesn't need to be told that practicing is important to a singer. Personally I was very pleased he decided to test his new songs this summer (even he didn't have time to rehearse much). Can't wait to hear them finished :wub2:

@rosa

Origin:

I had to google this when I first heard it, and it is very logical indeed, I just hadn't heard it or paid any attention to a phrase like that earlier. I will never forget that phrase again! :biggrin2:

Edited by tiibet

*takes out Mika´s words from the villain´s mouth*:aah:

:roftl:

I also believe that if there are moments when he has not practiced enough he is aware of it. Of course he is. Those times he has obviously decided to use his time for something else (maybe for something more important) than practicing.

Can you read your post with from an outsider's point of view and see the slight bias?:teehee:

I understand that you are very understanding with him (so am I, actually) but if one views it in an objective manner the last thing they start thinking about is what excuse an artist may have for the performance lacking in something. People tend to judge a musical work based on what they hear and not what they think may have happened in the artist's private life that disabled them to do their job properly.

But after speaking to literally hundreds of Mika fans I have only come across maybe 2 or 3 people that I think truly "get" Mika. They are close to his age, have similar cultural exposure, similar talents in music and art, similar interest in pop music, similar family situations, etc. Ironically these people are more likely to critique Mika's work than the average person who posts on MFC.

good that you wrote "I think"...

I think only M can say who gets him...

I sometimes compare it with the feeling that a mom can have for her son. I know my son is not the most handsome boy of the world, but he is for me. When he learns a new thing, I fangurl over him, even though when I know it´s not that amazing, but I can´t help it. We can like or dislike his songs, but in general, I guess we all will like his album, cause it´s Mika´s...

Do I make sense??

I really like this comparison, Rosa -- even though others have since clarified

and expanded upon it, I agree with you. It's how I feel about my son... and

about Mika. There may be individual moments (songs, actions) that I don't

like or approve of, but taken on the whole, I think my son is perfection.

And yes, that goes for Mika as well. I can be critical, and demanding, and

sometimes even a little disappointed, but overall, I know I'll love him (both

"hims") 'til the day I die. :wub2:

:roftl: I know that but sometimes people are cruel ... :mf_rosetinted:

I don't think anyone says anything to be cruel here, Mina. I think sometimes

a person may say things that seem harsh because of language limitations, or

perhaps what's said is perceived negatively... for a variety of reasons. But

I really don't think anyone says anything here expressly to be *cruel.*

I'm not getting sadness at all from this song. It's just really intense and yes, like all intense feelings it will wane one day, but I don't think that's really being addressed in the lyrics.

I hope this is one of the singles so Mika has to talk about it in interviews and maybe we will get some idea :naughty:

Me too!

I don't think they are separated either, but the song gives me a feeling that the love will end some day. That it's not forever. And it makes me sad if I start to think about it. But I don't think it's the point in this song at all, the point is the intense feeling (of love). So I shouldn't think about ending :roftl:

No, don't think of it in a sad way! I think it's actually hopeful -- almost like

the singer has had a revelation. Think about the imagery: bursting in

a blood red sky... an idea is revealed, an epiphany. There's a way to lose your head, and disappear, and not return again... The singer has discovered

this person he loves can basically take the mundane world away --

he can leave the world behind and live under water (in what would

otherwise be an impossible environment) because of the love

he receives from his lover. All I see just amazes -- as if the blinders have

been taken from his eyes and now he sees everything clearly... and it

amazes him! :wub2:

Anyway, that's what I get from it -- it's like a new beginning, and it's

full of hope. And it just amazes. :blush-anim-cl:

Yes and I think it´s the place were most of us are. (or is LOL). Sometimes we feel like being critical and sometimes we feel like fangurling... that´s life I guess....

Absolutely! Luckily, at this moment in time, this song definitely makes me feel like :fangurl:

No, don't think of it in a sad way! I think it's actually hopeful -- almost like

the singer has had a revelation. Think about the imagery: bursting in

a blood red sky... an idea is revealed, an epiphany. There's a way to lose your head, and disappear, and not return again... The singer has discovered

this person he loves can basically take the mundane world away --

he can leave the world behind and live under water (in what would

otherwise be an impossible environment) because of the love

he receives from his lover. All I see just amazes -- as if the blinders have

been taken from his eyes and now he sees everything clearly... and it

amazes him! :wub2:

Anyway, that's what I get from it -- it's like a new beginning, and it's

full of hope. And it just amazes. :blush-anim-cl:

yes, he's open and defenseless towards this new love, he's in awe, and when he opens his arms singing it he just melts my heart.

I haven't felt such emotions for such a long time...and now he brings them back to me with this amazing song and a bunch of well matched words.

It's like staring at a masterpiece painting, it blows you away.

The way he has to offer this song to the audience is so good.

too much? :naughty:

yes, he's open and defenseless towards this new love, he's in awe, and when he opens his arms singing it he just melts my heart.

I haven't felt such emotions for such a long time...and now he brings them back to me with this amazing song and a bunch of well matched words.

It's like staring at a masterpiece painting, it blows you away.

Robi, I :wub2: your post. I hope to read similar reactions about several other songs on the new album when it is out.