The chorus is more like when an airplane is descending so quickly that it feels like my body is trying to float above my seat, like I am falling up instead of down.

the music underlying "I can live under water" because it feels like a quick descent at that point (into the water).

I swear I wrote that before I read your post. :roftl:

I swear I wrote that before I read your post. :roftl:

and I wrote about him jumping underwater, too :roftl:

I think it totally comes from the music. It sounds pretty obvious, doesn't it?

EDIT: I wrote 'goes' not 'jump'. :teehee: Basically, it makes me feel that the ship stops as it reached the port and when he sings 'put your lips on me' the the rhythm slows and stops (there is a clear break) and the moment of the jump / getting underwater is when the chorus culminates.

Edited by suzie

It is fascinating to me that so many people associate songs with colors because I don't do that.

I associate songs with tactile sensations.

With this song, the verses remind me of being wrapped in a fluffy warm blanket. The chorus is more like when an airplane is descending so quickly that it feels like my body is trying to float above my seat, like I am falling up instead of down. So, the overall sense of the song is like kissing, soothing and giddy at the same time.

That isn't exact. It's the closest approximation to what I mean that I can come up with because I don't consciously think about the associations. I just sort of feel it. If a song is dizzy, I don't actually get dizzy, but the song feels dizzy to me. My current favorite song feels like eating ice cream, creamy and satisfying, less the sensations in my mouth and more the overall relaxing of my body and sense of contentment.

Wow, that is seriously the most difficult thing I have ever tried to describe. I don't think I did a very good job. :blush-anim-cl:

Still, I find this topic fascinating :biggrin2:

yes the topic is fascinating :original: it's also very individual, intimate and hard to describe...in words...

...seeing in colours is not the basic characterictic in my case....ha...colours are important ..I often use them as metaphors to describe things ..but basically there are visuals...moving pictures, feelings, emotions..., meanings...energies..

"tactile sensations" that is interesting!!!! I basically feel the very "fantastic" feeling in my stomach, like beeing nervous.... :roftl: or I feel cold or hot sensations....or not necessarily cold but repulsive...or I feel excitement..

but speaking about real senses...I'm extra sensitive to sounds... in real life it's almost painful...some sound outside a window that many people wouldn't even hear makes me feel hurt and unhappy...and there are engines all around...I think I can stand them when I'm walking down the street (with earplugs) but I can't stand them when I'm in my room and want to listen to my thoughts...

I'm hypersensitive...my skin is very sensitive to touching...ahhh life....:wink2:

Edited by Melisanda

Yes it's just funny that we're describing it at the same time in the context of the colour discussion.

I think the 'colour' discussion only comes from the fact that there is a clear picture you can imagine with the help of the music and / or the lyrics that includes water. In fact, water is in the title so there is no big mystery why it is the colour of water this song reminds most people of. :doh: (:teehee:)

Why Grace Kelly would be yellow or green is beyond my understanding though.:roftl:

Rosa I would say that my meaning of this song is going to be different than to a non native speaker (or probably more accurately someone who hasn't spent much time in an English speaking country or living around native English speaking people). I'm sure that's the case for me and French.

We can define "raw" for you using many other words but none of these words are exactly synonymous. That's why Mika used raw and not some other word (well if that is actually the lyric anyway, we're still guessing at this point :naughty:).

There is a difference between "all I see just amazes" and "everything I see is just amazing" even though these two sentences mean pretty much exactly the same thing by definition. There is a sense of wonder and awe and discovery in the first sentence that is not conveyed in the second sentence and I think you can only determine that by having a long experience with the language and just the general culture that would tell you that "amazing" has become overused in recent years and is almost cliche. But even though "amazing" has become a cliche it works for me in the second line "now I know you're amazing" because I've already been hooked by "all I see it amazes" so it doesn't sound like an overused word here, but a perfect complement to the previous line. His lover is not "amazing" the way a TV show is "amazing" or a cupcake is "amazing", but amazing in the original sense of the word - leaving him full of wonder and awe.

The same is true of an idiom like wearing your heart on your sleeve. We've defined it for you so I'm sure you understand exactly what it means just as well as I do. But that phrase probably still has a different feeling for me because I've been hearing it all my life and will remember people and situations that I've applied this phrase to. I'm sure it's the same with any language and its native speakers.

Thank you very much, I know it could be a problem to try to explain the meaning of a word to a non-native speaker, but thank you very much, even if I never get to reach the real meaning, I know I´m quite close.

It happens to me with valenciano too. I normally speak Spanish but since my parents spoke in Valenciano, there are some "words" that I still use in that language cause they can´t be translated.

Thank you very much.

But don't you think that the emotion in this song is meant to be red and that's why Mika chose these literally red images for the lyrics?

Outside of the lyrics though I'd say I am getting a clear blue feeling from the music underlying "I can live under water" because it feels like a quick descent at that point (into the water). I was actually thinking about this a few weeks ago because my favourite trance song is the same and even though I've listened to it hundreds (maybe thousands) of times over more than a decade I still feel that rush of falling every time I listen to it.

It's not a beautiful word in English either. It's quite harsh. So is "shot".

Yes, I think Mika wanted to paint it red, for him those emotions can be red (another option is that it's just a coincidence, lol). But for other people who see emotions in colors the same emotion can be different color. So I realize that there is an image of red in lyrics, but the emotion makes it different color for me (personally).

I don't see "raw" a beautiful word either. He didn't want to use a pretty word, I guess, for purpose. If someone used the Finnish translation for this word in a song I would absolutely hate it :roftl: But this is such a perfect song and I won't let that one word disturb me, I just ignore it (even though Mika is using it :teehee:)

I think the 'colour' discussion only comes from the fact that there is a clear picture you can imagine with the help of the music and / or the lyrics that includes water. In fact, water is in the title so there is no big mystery why it is the colour of water this song reminds most people of. :doh: (:teehee:)

Why Grace Kelly would be yellow or green is beyond my understanding though.:roftl:

I see UW ocean because the feeling of honesty is ocean... It's my favorite color, btw, I like honesty :biggrin2: But as I wrote earlier, "underwater" makes it concrete (like heart is red etc).

Grace Kelly is purple and green, it comes from his rebel attitude (I'm not sure what English word I should use for the emotion). I like that attitude, purple and green is a good combination :roftl:

I don´t see "colors". Just emotions. But yes, if I need to think of a color, this one is blue for sure.

While reading you all, I started to think "oh, yes, Lollipop is like a rainbow" but now I think I could be biased by all the shows I´ve been to, with all the confetti and colored balloons and stuff...

I met a girl who had synesthaesia once, and she didn´t think it was funny or something :aah:

I don´t see "colors". Just emotions. But yes, if I need to think of a color, this one is blue for sure.

While reading you all, I started to think "oh, yes, Lollipop is like a rainbow" but now I think I could be biased by all the shows I´ve been to, with all the confetti and colored balloons and stuff...

I met a girl who had synesthaesia once, and she didn´t think it was funny or something :aah:

I have never thought I have synesthesia, I have just thought this is a way to classify emotions/feelings and I always "feel" songs and have a lot of images in my head, so I connect emotions and colors. My son connects taste and shapes/textures. So if he doesn't like my cooking he says he can't eat it, because it tastes "round" or "rough" or whatever even the food is not round or rough at all (only the taste). I don't find that very useful feedback :aah::roftl:

Sorry, this is off topic!

Outside of the lyrics though I'd say I am getting a clear blue feeling from the music underlying "I can live under water" because it feels like a quick descent at that point (into the water). I was actually thinking about this a few weeks ago because my favourite trance song is the same and even though I've listened to it hundreds (maybe thousands) of times over more than a decade I still feel that rush of falling every time I listen to it.

Which song is it?

I have also been thinking of a song from the 90s (Sonique's It Feels So Good) that I love because of the sensation it gives: I feel like levitating when I listen to it. I just can't get bored with it. :teehee:

Well Mika doesn't even know most of the MFCers I speak to on a daily basis except to say hi so I don't think he's going to be able to make that judgement either. :wink2:

Well but you are able to tell who gets him....my point is you can't know that cause you're not M. only he knows that.

sure he doesn't know all the people in the world to have an opinion about it...

ps...I just found your reply looking for sth different....normally I don't spend hours here so I don't read/reply to everything here

Yeah, I've noticed that about you. :wink2: Why do you think that is? I mean,

what do you get from it? Being contrary like that? No, wait, don't answer --

it's the wrong thread for it, sorry. :naughty:

so...don't ask me h e r e...

what do I get from it????

I don't see it like that....

it's just my nature...when I see a place where there are mostly 3 mods talking to 3 people most of the time and mostly agreeing with each other or defending each other :roftl: or speaking for each other .....I just feel the need to add something different....

there w e r e more individuals here but they disappeared....

I just don't like when only one or two perspectives are represented here....I think it's more interesting when more "strange" people come here and say their "strange" point of view....

that's why I guess...

but it gives me a headache sometimes so I guess I'll leave....

Edited by Melisanda

Well but you are able to tell who gets him....my point is you can't know that cause you're not M. only he knows that.

Yes you're right, I don't know who DOES get him but I can often tell when people don't, especially when they believe things about Mika that I know are not true. But like I said that's my opinion and you can accept it or not accept it. I'm not going to argue about it.

Which song is it?

I have also been thinking of a song from the 90s (Sonique's It Feels So Good) that I love because of the sensation it gives: I feel like levitating when I listen to it. I just can't get bored with it. :teehee:

I don't know if this mix is quite right (there used to be an amazing video on YT with clips from the nature series Earth but it was pulled)...it's 7 Colours by Lost Witness

SBcrW1fkak8

I really love Sonique too.

I have never thought I have synesthesia, I have just thought this is a way to classify emotions/feelings and I always "feel" songs and have a lot of images in my head, so I connect emotions and colors. My son connects taste and shapes/textures. So if he doesn't like my cooking he says he can't eat it, because it tastes "round" or "rough" or whatever even the food is not round or rough at all (only the taste). I don't find that very useful feedback :aah::roftl:

Sorry, this is off topic!

Kids sometimes need to invent new ways to refuse food :mf_rosetinted:

Mine used yesterday the "mom, I´m rolling... I can´t go on with my life":mf_rosetinted: So I take the dish, and when he is sure it´s in the rubbish, then he´s like "and now I could take a glass of milk, thanks :pinkbow:" Suddenly I feel like pushing him underwater :mf_rosetinted:

Mine used yesterday the "mom, I´m rolling... I can´t go on with my life":mf_rosetinted: So I take the dish, and when he is sure it´s in the rubbish, then he´s like "and now I could take a glass of milk, thanks :pinkbow:" Suddenly I feel like pushing him underwater :mf_rosetinted:

:roftl:

Actually, it's the way my son describes tastes, he has always done that (but it's not helping my cooking!). He sees/thinks numbers very differently too.

Nice way to get back to the topic :naughty::thumb_yello:

I like the sound of this one. It is this type of electronic music I partly expect on the new album, in particular on tracks with W.O.

I don't know about that. This is proper dance music and I think the songs will be mixed for pop. If EMD is anything to go by Greg is going to be doing the final production/mix even if other producers (like Åhlund) are involved. Will be interesting to hear how it all turns out.

I don't know about that. This is proper dance music and I think the songs will be mixed for pop. If EMD is anything to go by Greg is going to be doing the final production/mix even if other producers (like Åhlund) are involved. Will be interesting to hear how it all turns out.

I don't expect any of the tracks to sound like proper garage / house / trance music but more like the ones William Orbit produced for Madonna or All Saints (on The Beach soundtrack) in the 90s. Or even like the new version of Rain played at gigs this summer. I don't know who mixed it but it sounds modern and not dated.

Yes, on EMD you can hear Åhlund's sound but the end result is not distinct enough I agree. So in that way, maybe not much difference in sound is expected.

Yah!

I see "Blue eyes" orange

Underwater-transparent

Love today- red

Relax-red

HE-between orange & black

We are golden -yellow

Karen-white & grey

well better stop :naughty:

:dunno:

:roftl:

Well, there are colours in the lyrics and he paints a picture, so I am not surprised about this one. As for his other songs... :dunno:

I still can't figure it out...

Poor woman :tears:

:sneaky2::mf_rosetinted:

hmmmm ok...

when i hear a song, i don't associate them with colors. it never occured to me that some people do.

when i hear a song, i hear a story & i see images :blush-anim-cl:

Exactly!:thumb_yello:

The "blood red sky" reminds me of descriptions from people who thought they were drowning, holding their breath and feeling they were about to explode. blood vessels in their eyes making the world look red - and then breaking through to the surface - into the bright blue sky.

So the person is already underwater (in love, but not daring to believe it) but suddenly realising they can breathe - let themselves go, and trust in the other person.

(I haven't explained that very well)

*sigh*