You know, I studied Spanish in school, but didn't pay attention to this difference! It seemed normal to me, maybe because in my language there is no peculiar word order, we can put words in sentence wherever we want, depending on the main accent of a word.

Yes, I think different languages make people think different, but not to the dramatic extend. In general questions we are alike. Spending time on this forum, I can't say that I see much difference between people's thinking. The difference here mostly depends on age and personal qualities.

I mean "deep" meanings... like... "nuances"... In exemple, untill Deb mentioned it, I never realised about the red and only saw ocean colors as (I think it was Nina) someone said before...

:thumb_yello:

I wonder if Mika sees songs in colours. He is creative person, so I suppose he does!

Seeing songs in colours is a neurological condition called synesthesia (if I can remember well from my psychology classes), and it's not necessarily connected with creativity. It could also involve hearing sounds in response to visual motion. It's quite an interesting and mostly a pleasant condition.

Strangely, our professor of psychology made an experiment with us (art students). He was playing some songs to us, and we had to write down of which colours they remind. The answers were incredibly similar.:dunno:

Edited by nenartus

I guess different people just see these things in totally different way. When I think of this song I think words like "honesty" and ""pure" (pure love) and they are both deep ocean color (for me), lol. I know the lyrics talk about red but I rarely see things red, for me red is an arguing color. Even love is not red, it's just something deep color (because it's a deep emotion), gentle love (like mother-baby love) is lighter color. Falling in love gives me an image of thunder colors (it's like an internal turmoil) and after realizing the love everything becomes calmer ocean color (and "underwater" makes it even concrete) with a hint of light (hope).

I'm relieved to hear it's normal to see songs in colors :roftl:

Edit: It's not songs I see in colors, it's emotions and feelings. And because I feel songs I see them in colors. Hahah, I think.

Edited by tiibet

Seeing songs in colours is a neurological condition called synesthesia (if I can remember well from my psychology classes), and it's not necessarily connected with creativity. It could also involve hearing sounds in response to visual motion. It's quite an interesting and mostly a pleasant condition.

Strangely, our professor of psychology made an experiment with us (art students). He was playing some songs to us, and we had to write down of which colours they remind. The answers were incredibly similar.:dunno:

Cool! but seems like at MFC we see songs in different colours.

And I see numbers and letters in colours too. M is green for me. And for you?

Now that you draw attention to this, I can suddenly see it :teehee:

I know the lyrics talk about red but I rarely see things red, for me red is an arguing color.

It is only the first line that says 'blood red sky' and it is there to contrast the otherwise tranquil landscape.

I think the word red only appears when he talks about the world he leaves behind and after the chorus he sings about a 'bright blue sky' already because since he's been underwater and the sky turns blue.

To me, this song is also 'blue', although I never realise I'd see anything in colours (maybe I do though, just like everyone else) In any case, it is hardly ever the lyrics but the music that makes me associate emotions with a particular song. In this one I can hear the waves of the sea on the piano, so it is pretty obvious to me that it is a tranquil (or ('blue') song, except that besides these pictures and colours I can sense some movement as well. At first his ship is rocking on the waves and when he reaches the chorus the waves can no longer be heard because the part the piano plays changes: he reached the port and goes underwater, disappearing into a different world that is actually dark blue to me.

I can't SEE colours. It's more like some kind of feeling, sensation, something like that. And it doesn't happen automatically and all the time, but when I concentrate I can connect colours with sounds. But not with numbers or letters. :dunno:

Now that you draw attention to this, I can suddenly see it :teehee:

It is only the first line that says 'blood red sky' and it is there to contrast the otherwise tranquil landscape.

I think the word red only appears when he talks about the world he leaves behind and after the chorus he sings about a 'bright blue sky' already because since he's been underwater and the sky turns blue.

To me, this song is also 'blue', although I never realise I'd see anything in colours (maybe I do though, just like everyone else) In any case, it is hardly ever the lyrics but the music that makes me associate emotions with a particular song. In this one I can hear the waves of the sea on the piano, so it is pretty obvious to me that it is a tranquil (or ('blue') song, except that besides these pictures and colours I can sense some movement as well. At first his ship is rocking on the waves and when he reaches the chorus the waves can no longer be heard because the part the piano plays changes: he reached the port and goes underwater, disappearing into a different world that is actually dark blue to me.

To me UW is a kind of turquoise song, and a bits of amber kind of coulor. Is that making any sense? :boxed: And I have to admit, the first time I heard it I instantly connected it with a scene from a Harry Potter movie when he dives for that tournament (Triwizard or something) and the mermaid song scene. These are the colours I "see" in it.

And It's not lyrics for me either, but music and sounds.

When I said the song was red and blue for me that's not coming from synesthesia. I would never say EMD is green or purple or whatever.

Blood, heart, raw...these are all literally red images. I don't know about other parts of the world but in my culture red is associated with intense passion as well. The sky and the water are of course literally blue. As Deb touched on there is a big contrast between the two and the deep blue is a relief from the intense red.

Rosa I would say that my meaning of this song is going to be different than to a non native speaker (or probably more accurately someone who hasn't spent much time in an English speaking country or living around native English speaking people). I'm sure that's the case for me and French.

We can define "raw" for you using many other words but none of these words are exactly synonymous. That's why Mika used raw and not some other word (well if that is actually the lyric anyway, we're still guessing at this point :naughty:).

There is a difference between "all I see just amazes" and "everything I see is just amazing" even though these two sentences mean pretty much exactly the same thing by definition. There is a sense of wonder and awe and discovery in the first sentence that is not conveyed in the second sentence and I think you can only determine that by having a long experience with the language and just the general culture that would tell you that "amazing" has become overused in recent years and is almost cliche. But even though "amazing" has become a cliche it works for me in the second line "now I know you're amazing" because I've already been hooked by "all I see it amazes" so it doesn't sound like an overused word here, but a perfect complement to the previous line. His lover is not "amazing" the way a TV show is "amazing" or a cupcake is "amazing", but amazing in the original sense of the word - leaving him full of wonder and awe.

The same is true of an idiom like wearing your heart on your sleeve. We've defined it for you so I'm sure you understand exactly what it means just as well as I do. But that phrase probably still has a different feeling for me because I've been hearing it all my life and will remember people and situations that I've applied this phrase to. I'm sure it's the same with any language and its native speakers.

There is a difference between "all I see just amazes" and "everything I see is just amazing" even though these two sentences mean pretty much exactly the same thing by definition. There is a sense of wonder and awe and discovery in the first sentence that is not conveyed in the second sentence and I think you can only determine that by having a long experience with the language and just the general culture that would tell you that "amazing" has become overused in recent years and is almost cliche. But even though "amazing" has become a cliche it works for me in the second line "now I know you're amazing" because I've already been hooked by "all I see it amazes" so it doesn't sound like an overused word here, but a perfect complement to the previous line.

Even being not a native speaker, I clearly see what you try to explain. I feel the same about there 2 phrases from the beginning. That's why I felt the first phrase so deeply :wub2:

I mean "deep" meanings... like... "nuances"... In exemple, untill Deb mentioned it, I never realised about the red and only saw ocean colors as (I think it was Nina) someone said before...

Not only are there structural differences between languages, but cultural differences between people who speak the same language is very important.

I know we have some expressions here that have totally different meaning in France and vice-versa...

When I said the song was red and blue for me that's not coming from synesthesia. I would never say EMD is green or purple or whatever.

Blood, heart, raw...these are all literally red images. I don't know about other parts of the world but in my culture red is associated with intense passion as well. The sky and the water are of course literally blue. As Deb touched on there is a big contrast between the two and the deep blue is a relief from the intense red.

Rosa I would say that my meaning of this song is going to be different than to a non native speaker (or probably more accurately someone who hasn't spent much time in an English speaking country or living around native English speaking people). I'm sure that's the case for me and French.

We can define "raw" for you using many other words but none of these words are exactly synonymous. That's why Mika used raw and not some other word (well if that is actually the lyric anyway, we're still guessing at this point :naughty:).

There is a difference between "all I see just amazes" and "everything I see is just amazing" even though these two sentences mean pretty much exactly the same thing by definition. There is a sense of wonder and awe and discovery in the first sentence that is not conveyed in the second sentence and I think you can only determine that by having a long experience with the language and just the general culture that would tell you that "amazing" has become overused in recent years and is almost cliche. But even though "amazing" has become a cliche it works for me in the second line "now I know you're amazing" because I've already been hooked by "all I see it amazes" so it doesn't sound like an overused word here, but a perfect complement to the previous line. His lover is not "amazing" the way a TV show is "amazing" or a cupcake is "amazing", but amazing in the original sense of the word - leaving him full of wonder and awe.

The same is true of an idiom like wearing your heart on your sleeve. We've defined it for you so I'm sure you understand exactly what it means just as well as I do. But that phrase probably still has a different feeling for me because I've been hearing it all my life and will remember people and situations that I've applied this phrase to. I'm sure it's the same with any language and its native speakers.

I love MFC for posts like this one. Everyday I learn something new, a word or a phrase. I've never heard of a hart on a sleeve. And I just learned the word awe. :teehee:

To see colors in songs????

Ya nuts???:naughty:

Never happened to me before....:dunno:

Yah!

I see "Blue eyes" orange

Underwater-transparent

Love today- red

Relax-red

HE-between orange & black

We are golden -yellow

Karen-white & grey

well better stop :naughty:

that is interesting!

I associate pretty everything with colours..but not only with colours...it makes things easier to remember too....

and yes, letters too...but it may change....for ex. S is pretty much yellow but it changes sometimes...

my notes from college were always colourful... that's how I learned....

about native speaking....yes..I'm here to have contact with english...I'm not very much a fan club person :roftl: (what a dangerously stupid thing to say here....:aah: I must be crazy...)

That must be true, your details says you're not in the right place :lmfao:

And don't worry about being crazy, I'm too :wink2: and I wasn't a fan club person before I fell in love with our boy and met his wonderful fans :wub2:

MFC is not a fan club anyway, we're all family here , Mika's very big extended family :naughty:

To see colors in songs????

Ya nuts???:naughty:

Never happened to me before....:dunno:

Poor woman :tears:

Yah!

I see "Blue eyes" orange

Underwater-transparent

Love today- red

Relax-red

HE-between orange & black

We are golden -yellow

Karen-white & grey

well better stop :naughty:

So interesting! Some songs I see like you, and some - absolutely in other colour gamma!

And UnderWater - transparent... it looks and sounds so fresh and crystal clear! :clap:

that is interesting!

I associate pretty everything with colours..but not only with colours...it makes things easier to remember too....

and yes, letters too...but it may change....for ex. S is pretty much yellow but it changes sometimes...

my notes from college were always colourful... that's how I learned....

The same with S. And really, some letters and figures are changing sometimes.

M is something between blue and violet for me.

Underwater, like a song, it´s so..

like this:

Like a big river full or red/rose love.

:shocked: So different from me!

It is wonderful how great a song can push the imagination, how it influences in our mood and perception of the current world around us.

And it's why I love MFC - for starting such weird floody conversations, but so interesting and exciting!

And don't worry about being crazy, I'm too :wink2: and I wasn't a fan club person before I fell in love with our boy and met his wonderful fans :wub2:

MFC is not a fan club anyway, we're all family here , Mika's very big extended family :naughty:

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I tried to be at Depp's fan club a long time ago, but failed :lol3:

And now I can't imagine my life without this cosy place - MFC.

you changed "siggie" to "details" ? cause I was responding to "siggie" and now I see it's "datails"?:wink2:

"not in the right place " reffers to my real life situation...

about siggie...I will probably change it sooner or later...now it feels right..

ha! may I be very frank and honest about the second part? I'm not very "high" about it....I'm like... I only meet real people in real life...I need all my senses, I need real situations...I don't even like speaking on the phone...

so-I need a family but in a real life...what's here, it's different.....sure...I may like a person when I meet them in real life and we have something more in common...but....anyway...I'm always friendly in real life and when a person is fair and kind to me despite differences I will stay friendly:wink2: (it's about fanclub real/virtual situations)-it doesn't mean I love everybody..I really like very few people...I'm a monster:roftl:

Yes, I was referring to those words when I said that the lyrics talk about red, the song lists some literally red things. I think red is a symbol for strong passion in every culture? But personally I see songs in a different way. I think of different emotions and they give every song certain colors, and for me the emotion described in UW is not red. Some songs doesn't show any color, usually those songs are not so important to me, they don't touch me as much I want music to touch.

It's true that Mika used "raw" and not any synonym. That's why I would never translate it to Finnish like that word is usually translated (it can be used this way only in English). I would use a word from Finnish that describes skin when the top part is taken away (I don't know it in English :teehee:) It's used in Finnish when people show their deepest soul without a cover and are very vulnerable. But it's not a beautiful word in Finnish, it sounds ugly (just my opinion)! So in my own mind I think synonyms for it.

"Everything I see is just amazing" sounds clumsy and not so special. "All I see just amazes" sounds special and beautiful, I see there's a difference, even though my own English is bad and I would never use the latter one myself (my English is not that sophisticated) :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by tiibet

Hmm...I don't see MFC quite like a family either because I've been exposed to some pretty malevolent people here and I'd like to think I'm protected from those kinds of bad vibes within my real family. I have made a lot of friends though and I can generally appreciate anyone on some level if they really love Mika.

I think of different emotions and they give every song certain colors, and for me the emotion described in UW is not red. Some songs doesn't show any color, usually those songs are not so important to me, they don't touch me as much I want music to touch.

But don't you think that the emotion in this song is meant to be red and that's why Mika chose these literally red images for the lyrics?

Outside of the lyrics though I'd say I am getting a clear blue feeling from the music underlying "I can live under water" because it feels like a quick descent at that point (into the water). I was actually thinking about this a few weeks ago because my favourite trance song is the same and even though I've listened to it hundreds (maybe thousands) of times over more than a decade I still feel that rush of falling every time I listen to it.

It's true that Mika used "raw" and not any synonym. That's why I would never translate it to Finnish like that word is usually translated (it can be used this way only in English). I would use a word from Finnish that describes skin when the top part is taken away (I don't know it in English :teehee:) It's used in Finnish when people show their deepest soul without a cover and are very vulnerable. But it's not a beautiful word in Finnish, it sounds ugly (just my opinion)! So in my own mind I think synonyms for it.

It's not a beautiful word in English either. It's quite harsh. So is "shot".