I am categorizing Underwater as a red song based on a number of red images. But there are only 3 of them, compared to all the words of the lyrics in the song. I don't see why you couldn't pick up strong sounds as being red and therefore classify the whole song as red.

But like I said this is just hypothetical and I have no idea why anyone would perceive GK as purple or EMD as green. :roftl:

I don't know how it works exactly, either. My assumption on musical synesthesia is based on how I perceive music is structured and I can see it more complex - even a simple song. So given other people's explanations on how one number / letter is one colour, I assume that types of chords can be different colours as they convey different moods / emotions. and then some light and darkness can be added with the tone, shades with the melody...etc. I could be overcomplicating it but a proper 'transcription' would be this type for me. :dunno:

I don't have time to research this but I might do so. It fascinates me.:teehee:

However, I do understand that a simpler form of it can be one song, one colour. Unfortunately, I have to force myself to experience that one. My brain does not work in such creative at all.

I think the cause of synesthesia is that your wires are getting crossed somehow and you are mixing up your senses. I don't think this has to be an extremely complex system to be abnormal and be caused by a different neurological process than just associating sad songs with blue and love songs with red.

This makes sense and is rather simple indeed :doh: I always complicate things too much...:roftl:

Edited by suzie

Joins in the off-topicness for a bit :naughty:

For me Poker Face is something like this :naughty:

869109_kilt_texture.jpg

Maybe it's because of this :roftl:

[YOUTUBE]xMrPNuxob_I[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Miro

You'r absolutely right! Today I was thinking why I see this pattern, and understood why. Came here to write about it - and here I see your post! :thumb_yello:

What a coincidence :thumb_yello: it was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your post :naughty:

I do not know why, "Under Water" is at once intertwined with one song in my head. From the first time as I heard. I had to search for long time a title's song and name's singer. I'm not strong in music. Just remember its melody. Found. It's Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue - Where The Wild Roses Grow. They do not look like. I do not know why I have such associations. I'm not talking about their poetry ... I did not know then UnderWater's words . And song about roses I translated just now. There is nothing in common except the water.

But themselves these tunes. They depress me with its beauty. It is grim ... their beauty. I'm scared to listen even)). When I did not know the words' UW, I felt a deep sadness in the melody. Even surprised that in the lyrics there is nothing sad.

Melody is so beautiful and profound that I feel dark, when I hear it. Tremor. Tune of "Under water" raises anxiety at me. May be the combination of certain sounds does it. Psychedelic sounds ...

I recalled "Nirvana" even ...

This makes sense and is rather simple indeed :doh: I always complicate things too much...:roftl:

I think I understand what you meant earlier. We just talked about different things, because I (for example) was talking about synesthesia in general and not specifically musical synesthesia. I guess synesthesia is something as simple as mixing senses (a percept in one sense initiates a percept in another sense). So for some people it means that sounds make them see colors or shapes, smell or taste different tastes. Sometimes tastes can have shapes (this is what happens to my son, I think) and sometimes the percept initiates another percept in the same sense. For some people it means they can see black letters or numbers in different colors. Some people can see numbers as personalities. This is what happens to my son too, that's why I was interested in synesthesia in general. He has mentioned it for years, but I have never paid much attention to it, because it feels natural he sees some things in a different way.

You were talking about musical synesthesia particularly, and I think you are right, that it can be a very rich way to see music indeed and that it can be a great gift for a composer/musician the same way as seeing numbers in colors can be a great gift for mathematicians. In some articles people with musical synesthesia describe music as paintings or almost sceneries. And in very rare occasions synesthesia can be combined for example with extraordinary memory (that's why I referred to savant people earlier, I read a very interesting article about a person with number synesthesia just a while ago).

All people can associate music with colors. It's quite obvious to see calm images blue, passion red, deep emotions in deep colors etc. But there are also people who see emotions in colors in a different way, and many synesthesia pages mention emotion-color synesthesia. I mentioned it earlier as a way to scientifically explain people who claim to see another person's aura and it's a different thing than associating colors in general.

I have always connected feelings/emotions with colors, but I've never thought it's anything to do with brain functioning. It's just natural for me to use colors. People can have very different relationships with colors, and I have always been very sensitive with them. My home is for example mostly white, because colors at home can cause me a huge sensory overload. I guess people who see songs in colors are mostly like me and just have a sensitive approach to colors. I don't actually associate on purpose, colors feels very natural when I listen to music and feel it.

No one has so far mentioned here that they see songs in colors because of musical synesthesia, it's something different and can be like a rich language indeed. It's possible that someone sees music that way though (even in a group of this size), because as far as I understand it's nothing abnormal, it's just a neurological condition and people who experience it find in natural. I have no idea if my son thinks that it's useful to see numbers as personalities (he is quite advanced in maths but probably because he is interested in it), for him it's just a normal way to handle numbers :)

Edited by tiibet

this song is amazing, totally in love with it:wub2:

i have a question tho, at the beginning did he just say i wrote in in montreal or was there something else (i may be wrong about that even)

Yeah, he said he wrote it in Montreal. :thumb_yello:

I do not know why, "Under Water" is at once intertwined with one song in my head. From the first time as I heard. I had to search for long time a title's song and name's singer. I'm not strong in music. Just remember its melody. Found. It's Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue - Where The Wild Roses Grow. They do not look like. I do not know why I have such associations. I'm not talking about their poetry ... I did not know then UnderWater's words . And song about roses I translated just now. There is nothing in common except the water.

But themselves these tunes. They depress me with its beauty. It is grim ... their beauty. I'm scared to listen even)). When I did not know the words' UW, I felt a deep sadness in the melody. Even surprised that in the lyrics there is nothing sad.

Melody is so beautiful and profound that I feel dark, when I hear it. Tremor. Tune of "Under water" raises anxiety at me. May be the combination of certain sounds does it. Psychedelic sounds ...

I recalled "Nirvana" even ...

I can't see any resemblance to Wild Roses song, but in the rest I can understand what do you mean. I'm not that depressed with UW beauty, but I start to tremble when I'm listening to it, and I feel like my eyes start to open widely :shocked:

It is really too profound, and there are moments, when basses just shake me from inside, filling with awe and water (I'm not :loco: - it is just a extramundane song...) It's not a bright ocean water, there is some uncanny power in it.

And the way he pronounces some words... :swoon:

@tiibet yes, we were talking about different things yesterday, both valid points, because I realise synesthesia is an umbrella term. I just thought that Lady Gaga seeing her song in one colour sounded too simple for me as I peceive music as a movement and way too complex to be described with one colour only. So I investigated and found that musicians who have this condition do see a piece of music in a more complex way but even that differs, not only in colours but also the structure they perveive the music and sounds.

A

Edited by suzie

...to continue from previous post: synesthesia covers many different fields and has many forms, even music related one and I will try to summarize what I read about it last night as soon as I get back to a computer later on ( I can't write proper posts from my mobile :teehee:)

this song is amazing, totally in love with it:wub2:

i have a question tho, at the beginning did he just say i wrote in in montreal or was there something else (i may be wrong about that even)

He was doing a colab with Empire Of The Sun in Montreal and he may, possibly, have mentioned writing it with them. But because the sound isn't quite clear enough on the vids, all we really hear him say is, "I wrote it in Montreal."

or to accept everything as amazing because it comes packaged with big brown eyes and curly hair :naughty:

this and the whole meaning relates to one of my previous posts...

is it really that simple? There are plenty of people with big dark eyes and curly hair that don’t make impression on me…

it’s deeper

of course I can say which song is a potential hit, which one was sung better, which performance was worse, where his voice was weaker , but that’ not the point at all. I ‘m not blind or blinded or deaf (by the way I think when the artist is true to his feelings right here right now there,s rarely such thing like a bad performance…).

So when I' m sayin that I like everything he sings it’s because I mean it. I love when he opens his mouth and sing. Even if it's just one line of “everywhere” I heard and trembled

And I think it is a kind of a miracle . so I don’t like if anyone tries to explain it with very limited way. I prefer if anyone speaks for themselves

sure there are people who basically like the way he looks and love everything he does because of that and there are people who don't like the way he looks but like the songs...and many other combinations

and about objective –subjective

there's no such thing like being objective. you're always subjective, you just can’t go outside your brain

I can give and feel many different perspectives, I can empathize and rationalize but that’s not real objectivity. every person sees the world subjectively and I don’t mean delusions

Of course I know what objective means in a common sense

And yes when it comes to liking or not I'm very subjective, why should I be objective about it? Feelings are subjective

The way he sings is so emotional so true how is he doing that ? he burns himself like a phoenix and is reborn again I can see no other reason. Or he has adhd…(nothing wrong in it) I admire him. He's so amazingly talented and so damn hard worker .wish he will not overload

I just cant imagine him singing underwater with this feeling I heard in Korea for a thousand time but I’m almost sure he will. It will be a bit different feeling maybe but it will be thrilling. I know in real life he is just a human beeing, he can be a coward or ….anything...and ’m not having an idealistic or blinded picture of him, it’s just it’s ok…so I see him as an exceptional artist and a human being with variety of features (and I never think of him as "weird" or "strange"..I know it's a compliement in his world..in mine too by the way ..but all I've see by now is perfectly normal...abnormal is hurting animals or children or things like that...if normal means avarage beauty is not normal...but it's another fascinating topic....)

I am trying not to burn out on it by listening to it too much but I can't help it :naughty:

hehe :teehee: it's just too hard not to, I almost feel like this is the best Mika song ever....but I felt that way about every single song sooo :blush-anim-cl: gosh he is just too good :3

Spooky :mf_rosetinted: And quite a Mika-ish picture too

Of course. Mika is the pink fish :mf_rosetinted:

The truth is that when I bought them I still didn´t know about Mika so I wasn´t biased :roftl:

Now that I re-read my post... You English speakers say "pyjamas" as in plural form? In Spain it´s like "t-shirt" or "handkerchief" I mean... a pyjama... Anyway, I´m sure you all understood it :mf_rosetinted:

:ot: warning

As I mentioned earlier, I tried to find some explanation or examples on the net about how music might be associated with colours in a more systematic way other than the one song - one colour type.

To begin with, one key learning for me in was that the estimated number of people with this 'condition' ranges from 1 in 25 people to 1 in 25,000 people, so that itself shows how vague the definition of synesthesia is and there is no clear distinction made between those who think in a specific ’system’ during the association (e.g. the ones who think of a particular colour when they see a particular number or letter) and the ones whose association may be more emotion based. So far I only found one bigger article that clearly distinguishes between two types of synesthesia in music and it divides it into two general types:

The first, "synesthesia proper" , is one where stimuli to a sensory input (e.g. the sound / tone of a musical instrument) triggers sensations in one or more other sensory modes (eg a particular taste, smell or colour). An example of this, as it was explained in that article, is when the sound of musical instruments make you see certain colors, each specific to that particular instrument. So, some might see the sound of a violin purple and that of a piano red, although differences in the brightness /tone of the colour also appear as the tone of the sound changes.

I think, Franz Liszt was this type of synthetist as I read some anecdote about him saying once to an orchestra ’more purple here’..etc) - no source, sorry.

In the second form of synesthesia (contextual synesthesia) it is certain sets of things that are already systemised in a specific way by culture that trigger these sensations (e.g letters, numbers and musical notes or keys). There are several ways and levels of systemising sound with the help of colours, but 2 basic types: associate the colour with the interval that exists between sounds in a melody (e.g. major third -red) or associate a colour with types of chords (eg. C major red). It can get really complicated, depending on the person but it is very systematic and not based on emotions at all except that the base of the assotiation is rooted in one's culture / life experience.

I think it also depends on the instrument one learns first / uses most. Like a violinist or a singer who otherwise has synesthesia might use the intervals between sounds as the base for this system, whist a pianist is likely to base it on chords.

I also read something really complex: Hungarian composer, György Ligeti explained once that he sees colours of different chord types as well as with the pitch but not based on the height of the pitch but the letter itself that he already built up an association to as a child. Plus he saw colours of instruments, too :blink::roftl:

Here is the link to the history of synesthesia in music if anyone is interested. The categorisation types are taken from here: http://www.thereminvox.com/article/articleview/33/1/5/

Edited by suzie