Your 2 favourites of the 5 new songs

suzie

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about this too with TBWKTM when he went to great lengths to record in Capitol Studios and get the Andre Crouch choir, etc. I don't know about everyone else but I listen to these songs on mp3 (and the CD players are not much different, it's all inexpensive digital because I don't have a monster stereo system). All the subtleties are lost and in fact I find the EMD mp3 from iTunes to be of extremely poor quality and it's the only copy I have access to (besides ripping the audio from YouTube which would be even worse). I do wonder if producers are taking this reality into account when making music these days.

Maybe it's not really about hearing the differences but about knowing about them. Real instruments are giving the song more "heart" and "soul". Also, in this way the whole song is a piece of creation from different people who are really "behind" the song. And in the end maybe it does make an "hearable" difference because Mika has a deeper connection to his songs and therefore sings with more expression.

It's like a cake: you could go to the bakery and buy one or you could eat a self-baken one. And the self-made one will always be tastier because he is done "with love". Same with hand-made presents.

Feels like i'm the only one there dont like UW:aah::naughty:

The way the results should be read is that over 50% of respondents would choose Underwater as one of their favourites of the 5 new tracks (it could be either their first or second favourite). The rest of the people either like it but there are at least 2 other new songs they like more, or dislike it like you say.

There is no survey which song is disliked most and I don't think there should be one.

The way the results should be read is that over 50% of respondents would choose Underwater as one of their favourites of the 5 new tracks (it could be either their first or second favourite). The rest of the people either like it but there are at least 2 other new songs they like more, or dislike it like you say.

There is no survey which song is disliked most and I don't think there should be one.

Math skills huh? :mikacool:

Maybe it's not really about hearing the differences but about knowing about them. Real instruments are giving the song more "heart" and "soul". Also, in this way the whole song is a piece of creation from different people who are really "behind" the song. And in the end maybe it does make an "hearable" difference because Mika has a deeper connection to his songs and therefore sings with more expression.

It's like a cake: you could go to the bakery and buy one or you could eat a self-baken one. And the self-made one will always be tastier because he is done "with love". Same with hand-made presents.

I wouldn't prefer my cake just because it was made by me. I always go for the taste. :dunno: Similarly, I am not interested in Mika"s peace of mind about going all lengths to perfect a song if the end result leaves me dizzy, like I have just come out of a tumble dry.:mf_rosetinted:

Concerning the production of WAG I was seriously disappointed in the end result, especially since I was expecting to hear the André Crouch choir in it - meaning a song with a choir, not random people shouting. It was probably a textbook example of killing a simple, yet fine song (even though I have a slight problem with the lyrics of the chorus being slightly inconsistent with the overall message).

Actually, yesterday while I was browsing my mp3s I saw a title 'We Are Golden - good arrangements' ( obviously my comment :naughty:) , so I listened to it and concluded that it actually was a great song. It was some acoustic arrangement with 'Walking in Memphis' on the piano. :rolls_eyes: :teehee: and it sounded great.

I also remember him singing a really heartfelt intro to it at some gigs and also once at a radio show as well. A completely different song it could have been. *le sigh*

Edited by suzie

I also remember him singing a really heartfelt intro to it at some gigs and also once at a radio show as well. A completely different song it could have been. *le sigh*

For me this intro and the bridge are the best parts in WAG :thumb_yello:

It's true that it could have been different.. I like WAG so I'm not complaining, but I think he could have added that beautiful intro to the recorded version.

The problem with the mp3s is that they are highly processed and the nuances of sound are stripped off. The quality of the ingredients are lost when the food is highly processed if you know what I mean. Once you boil the hell out of a piece of broccoli it doesn't matter whether it started off frozen in your freezer for a year or picked from the ground 5 minutes ago. :naughty:

The problem with the mp3s is that they are highly processed and the nuances of sound are stripped off. The quality of the ingredients are lost when the food is highly processed if you know what I mean. Once you boil the hell out of a piece of broccoli it doesn't matter whether it started off frozen in your freezer for a year or picked from the ground 5 minutes ago. :naughty:

I know what you mean and I agree with you that you can't hear a difference in the "end-mp3". But I like knowing that Mikas Songs are done by real people - even if I myself could never tell the difference it creates a better feeling towards the songs.

And maybe it's different for musicians while creating a song. It seems so important for Mika. And I have an interview of my favorite band from the studio in mind, where they firstly had enough money to use real instruments and a real orchestra, too. It was so important for them and the said that it isn't the same.

Similarly, I am not interested in Mika"s peace of mind about going all lengths to perfect a song if the end result leaves me dizzy, like I have just come out of a tumble dry.:mf_rosetinted:

Concerning the production of WAG I was seriously disappointed in the end result

But that's a different pair of shoes, I think. It's about liking the end result or not. You can do things wrong or right and that has nothing to do if you only use pre-recorded instruments or real ones.

And, just for the record, personally I like the studio version of WAG very much ;) It's in my top 3 of Mika-Songs. But I know that I'm very solitary with this opinion :D (Just wanted to say it, it is not related to the actual discussion)

Edited by DerMoment1608

Here you go. You must right-click on the links to save the file, in order to download it.

The Origin of Love

Lola

Underwater

Thank you SOOOO much!:wub2::wub2::wub2:

I'm downloading them now, it might take me a while with this crappy connection, but it doesn't matter, I'm on vacation!:biggrin2:

Edited by sienna

@Sienna my bet is that your favourites will be Lola and TOOL:teehee:

But that's a different pair of shoes, I think. It's about liking the end result or not. You can do things wrong or right and that has nothing to do if you only use pre-recorded instruments or real ones.

No, we are talking about the same thing as you say that you believe that when a musician makes music with real instruments but processes it to sound like electronic is different because the musician himself feels different about the song, whilst I am saying that I do not feel the difference and don't care about how the musician feels since I need to feel it.

So, same thing, different views. I only care about the end result whilst you prefer the musician feels ok about it.

Another example: didn't he say somewhere that the bass line in Celebrate was recorded with French horns :blink:

:confused:I can't even imagine it let alone hear it on the track so as far as I am concerned I would have preferred a treat I appreciate :naughty:

(it could be that it was some bad translation though, i don't remember where I read it)

Edited by suzie

@Sienna my bet is that your favourites will be Lola and TOOL:teehee:

Oh you do? Now I'm really excited!:huglove:

I haven't been able to listen to either of them yet!:doh:

My downloading has come to 78% now, that's how slow it is.

I read the whole thread about TOOL and I feel like a child waiting for Santa to arrive!:naughty:

Can't download it.:blink:

Are you getting an error message or what happens? Have you right-clicked it and tried to save the file on your computer?

And maybe it's different for musicians while creating a song. It seems so important for Mika. And I have an interview of my favorite band from the studio in mind, where they firstly had enough money to use real instruments and a real orchestra, too. It was so important for them and the said that it isn't the same.

I guess I just don't understand the point. If using instruments is so critical to your music making process then why would you be aiming for an electronic sound in the first place? If you don't like electronic music for what it is (electronic and not organic) then why do you want to replicate the sound?

I can't stop listening to TOOL :shocked: I think this is Mika's best song since Grace Kelly. It has the potential to be a real pop classic, yes even here in the cynical old UK.

I wish he'd release it here first rather than Celebrate.

I'm prepared to be disappointed again though, as it fails to get airplay and thus success over here :dunno:

TOOL was an easy choice. I love Uw and MYH both the same really, but chose Uw, only because it's more natural and beautiful, and the introduction, and accompniment of the song sounds like water running down a stream. It's truly lovely.

But I also love Lola, it's a gorgeous piece of work. In fact, the only one of the new songs I didn't love on first listening, is Celebrate. Even though I enjoy it better now, I can't understand why it's the first single! TOOL would have been a much better choice, in fact, any of the others would have been better, but deff TOOL would have been my choice if I'd been a big-wig at Universal ( or whatever the record company is called)

I chose Celebrate and TOOL.

Celebrate because I like the simpleness about it (I have no idea if that is a real English word:blush-anim-cl: or if it is appropriate in this context, in Swedish it would be enkelhet, the way the song is easy to listen to and to take under your wings:naughty:).

And... I think it's good for him to write a "mainstream" song once in a while, good for his carrier.:teehee:

TOOL, wow, I really like it.:thumb_yello: It sounds like a genuine Mika-song.

But I also cringe from some of the words. Medicate and Nicorette just doesn't belong in a love song, it's poetically incorrect!:naughty:

It should be words like "the world got its true colours when I met you" and so on....

Maybe he wanted to write about drugs and alcohol like the big boys do but he had a strong urge to be politically correct and added Nicorette just to bee safe?:wink2:

Melody is great though!:wub2:

Maybe he wanted to write about drugs and alcohol like the big boys do but he had a strong urge to be politically correct and added Nicorette just to bee safe?:wink2:

Melody is great though!:wub2:

:lmfao:

That just made me laugh so much, I don't know why!!

I agree with you though. Nicorette...urgh.:sneaky2: I don't like product placement or brand names in songs. I always had a problem with Diet Coke in Big Girl too. He should have said "sugar free cola soft drink" :teehee:

I agree with you though. Nicorette...urgh.:sneaky2: I don't like product placement or brand names in songs. I always had a problem with Diet Coke in Big Girl too. He should have said "sugar free cola soft drink" :teehee:

:lmfao: For me Coke is such a common word that it's effectively generic. I don't think I've ever spoken the word cola in my life. :naughty: I get annoyed when waiters say they only have Pepsi because it's like whatever, just bring me whatever Cokelike thing that you have. :mf_rosetinted:

I think the only reason that Coke has not become truly generic like Kleenex or Xerox or Hoover is because Pepsi has been battling them relentlessly since the 70s.

I think Nicorette is somewhat generic too because I can't think of another brand.

For me it's the "I'm feeling sick I've got to medicate myself" line that does my head in. Not only does it sound ick, but there are too many syllables. This song is no Grace Kelly for me, unless you mean the French version. :lmfao:

First I must say that I love them all....

My first choice is The origin of love because I love when he sings with a lower voice and I really like the vibe to it...

My second choice is Make you happy because... I don't know exactly. The general feeling behind it? I think the robotic voice makes perfect sense.

I can't stop listening to TOOL :shocked: I think this is Mika's best song since Grace Kelly. It has the potential to be a real pop classic, yes even here in the cynical old UK. :

I think so, too.

Medicate and Nicorette just doesn't belong in a love song, it's poetically incorrect!:naughty:

I like how brilliantly you worded this. :teehee:

I chose Celebrate and TOOL.

Celebrate because I like the simpleness about it (I have no idea if that is a real English word:blush-anim-cl: or if it is appropriate in this context, in Swedish it would be enkelhet, the way the song is easy to listen to and to take under your wings:naughty:).

And... I think it's good for him to write a "mainstream" song once in a while, good for his carrier.:teehee::

I wish he'd release it here first rather than Celebrate.

I'm prepared to be disappointed again though, as it fails to get airplay and thus success over here :dunno:

I really hope TOOL as the first single to release in UK,though Celebrate is the first single in some countries now.:aah:

I keep wondering if Celebrate was the right choice, especially for the UK. After Lovebox I was discussing with someone that out of the 2 songs we heard by then, even MYH, that clearly has no 'immediate' appeal, would probably make a better single than Celebrate over there.

However, they may have a well-thought out strategy behind, like getting interest in Mika across Europe with Celebrate and then release something else for the UK in September. :dunno: or a strong second single right before the album release. The most important thing is for the record company to understand that they won't be able to sell the album with Celebrate. If there is strong commitment behind Mika they may have planned to leave the best for last or at least at a later stage -, and not use all the gunpowder at the very beginning. As far as I remember, 'Angels' by Robbie Williams was the 4th or 5th single from his first album, for example. So by then it was not the single but the album the audience bought.

However, it would suppose a strong commitment from the record company's side - them committing to not drop the artist after the first single fails or sales of the album do not pick up immediately, like they do it so often now

Edited by suzie