Mika: Friendship is timeless

BiaIchihara

Mika believes that 'age has never been a barrier' in his friendships.

The 29-year-old singer revealed that he doesn't agree with society's fear of growing old.

He doesn't judge people by their age and enjoys the company of his older friends.

'People are obsessed by ageing. But age has never been a barrier [for me]: one of my best friends is 60,' Mika explained. 'We meet each other for a beer all the time.'

The British singer-songwriter also spoke about the heartache behind some of his songs.

Mika explained that without experiencing the pain of unrequited love he could have never shared these emotions with his fans.

When asked whether he has ever wanted to die for love, the star answered 'Yes.'

'I know that feeling perfectly well, because I fell in love with people who didn't love me back. I don't believe that I could have written an album like this one sooner,' he told French magazine Gala. 'This time, I'm exploring love, I'm discovering, I'm looking for the origin.'

Mika also said that his upcoming record The Origin Of Love has a more mature theme then some of his previous feel-good tracks.

'I talk about culture, religion, tolerance and intolerance. There is nothing silly in it,' he explained.

Source: http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=55811&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#.UDTxdwsLrnw.twitter

Thanks to @Mikasister for tweeting :)

Edited by BiaIchihara

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this too but tried to find the original interview in Gala Magazine and failed.

Anyway, I don't get how anyone wouldn't feel the same for him either, I mean; What the hell is wrong with those people? :shocked: Lol

Although, on a personal level, I know the feeling all too well. I was in love with a guy who didn't love me back for over ten years, silly me...

Anyway, I don't get how anyone wouldn't feel the same for him either, I mean; What the hell is wrong with those people? :shocked: Lol

Although, on a personal level, I know the feeling all too well. I was in love with a guy who didn't love me back for over ten years, silly me...

If a girl was in love with me I wouldn't love her back either. No matter how amazing she was. Sometimes these things can't be helped. :wink2:

If a girl was in love with me I wouldn't love her back either. No matter how amazing she was. Sometimes these things can't be helped. :wink2:

I think the problem between us was that we were too good friends, in his opinion anyway, and that he didn't want to ruin that. I was willing to chance it though :naughty: Anyway, I'm sorry for bringing my own problems into this :doh:

Just wanted to say that it's a real painful heartache being deeply in love with someone who could never love you back. He recently got engaged and I realized that I was wasting my emotions thinking about what could be... Anyway, back to Mika :aah:

Just wanted to say that it's a real painful heartache being deeply in love with someone who could never love you back. He recently got engaged and I realized that I was wasting my emotions thinking about what could be... Anyway, back to Mika :aah:

Oh shame that sounds awful. :sad::aah:

I guess I figured Mika wasn't seriously in love with these people and they were just crushes. Even if they are intense/obsessive they are just infatuation and not love. Like I See You.

Oh shame that sounds awful. :sad::aah:

I guess I figured Mika wasn't seriously in love with these people and they were just crushes. Even if they are intense/obsessive they are just infatuation and not love. Like I See You.

you might be right with that, but especially when you're younger, you don't know the difference and you think this person must be the love of your life and are crushed if they don't love you back. if he says that he wanted to die for love, obviously his feelings were very strong at that time, whether it was just a crush or real love (for example for someone who used to love him but then left him).

you might be right with that, but especially when you're younger, you don't know the difference and you think this person must be the love of your life and are crushed if they don't love you back. if he says that he wanted to die for love, obviously his feelings were very strong at that time, whether it was just a crush or real love (for example for someone who used to love him but then left him).

Yes I totally agree it feels like love when it's happening. :wink2:

We don't know that the dying for love was related to the unrequited love. He could be talking about someone he was actually involved with.

The 29-year-old singer revealed that he doesn't agree with society's fear of growing old.

He doesn't judge people by their age and enjoys the company of his older friends.

'People are obsessed by ageing. But age has never been a barrier [for me]: one of my best friends is 60,' Mika explained. 'We meet each other for a beer all the time.'

The British singer-songwriter also spoke about the heartache behind some of his songs.

Mika explained that without experiencing the pain of unrequited love he could have never shared these emotions with his fans.

'I know that feeling perfectly well, because I fell in love with people who didn't love me back. I don't believe that I could have written an album like this one sooner,' he told French magazine Gala. 'This time, I'm exploring love, I'm discovering, I'm looking for the origin.'

Mika also said that his upcoming record The Origin Of Love has a more mature theme then some of his previous feel-good tracks.

'I talk about culture, religion, tolerance and intolerance. There is nothing silly in it,' he explained.

Source: http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=55811&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#.UDTxdwsLrnw.twitter

It is the same article that I have from the french magazine Gala I tweet https://twitter.com/EvaGerle/status/238329820994469888/photo/1/large :naughty:

There's another article about this Gala article

http://www.closermag.fr/content/70870/mika-jai-deja-voulu-mourir-par-amour

Just a few more quotes

'Before, I used to love vicariously '(then it goes on with 'This time, I'm exploring love, I'm discovering, I'm looking for the origin.)'

He says he now feels at ease and inspired

He claims that despite all the changes in his life, he hasn't changed musically 'I'm still the same. I can see myself at the age of 15 recording classical music. My style, my language, my voice are my compass. If I want to jump up and down like a kid, it means I'm in the right!'

I think we all learn from our relationships, or things we'd like to be relationships, that arn't really.

When I was 25, I hadn't had many boyfriends and those that I'd gone out with, always let me down. One young man told me he prefered my sister and would love to marry someone like her. As a young woman who also had a disability, I felt that I'd never meet someone.

Then I met a young man at the Bible Study I went to. I was never alone with him, we were always with other people, but I thought he liked me. He was studying Theology and writing a thesis. I convinced myself that he'd ask me out once all that was over.

Then one day he asked me to go with him to a young peoples' club at church. I went with him, had a good time and later we went back to his house and I met his mother! I was on cloud nine. When he dropped me off home and didn't try and kiss me, I just thought he respected me, and that was okay... For now at least.

Then a week later he told me he was going out with a girl from Universtiy. He told me, like it wouldn't matter to me, like he wasn't crushing my feelings. He also said that I should continue to attend the young peoples' group as it would be good for me to meet people. In other words, he had felt sorry for me. I was devastated.

But it was partly my own folly for reading the relationship wrong. However, I do think he led me on for his own amusement, as I'm not good at hiding my feelings and he must have known I really liked him.

But my story has a happy ending. A year later I met Alan and we've been married nearly 31 years.

So I think Mika has probably gone through some similar stuff. But now he's stronger, since he's met someone who loves him back. He'll have learned from past experiences, and be a stronger man because of them.

I'm currently trying to translate in ;) I'm doing my best but English isn't my native language so you have to expect a few language mistakes, I guess ^^'

EDIT : Here's the translation :) I hope it's not too... awful to read for native speakers... xD

"MIKA: I HAVE ALREADY WANTED TO DIE FOR LOVE"

Turning 29, the singer Mika comes to terms with himself. He’s just done his coming out and comes back with a great new CD about love. The start of wisdom? It’s up to you to decide…

Beige pants and a white shirt embroidered with his initials, Mika cultivates a classic elegance. Would the pop singer who hopped around singing “Relax” have quietened down since the releasing of his 1st album, 7 years ago? It’d be too easy. As if he had to contradict us, the young singer ruffles his mop. With this new Cd (The Origin of Love), the young man, who has just made public his homosexuality, delivers us new songs full of subtle sensitiveness.

In which spirit are you now that your 3rd album is being released on the 17th September ?

- I feel inspired, at ease with myself. In my life, everything happened very quickly in the beginning. With 2CDs and a tour, I had no time to write songs. I had a lot of things to catch up and to forget…

Did you need to find back the freshness of your debuts?

- I especially needed to learn to write again. Even if I’m a solo artist, I need people around me who inspire me and give me energy. Thanks to them, I could find myself back. In this album, I talk about what my life has been for a year.

It’s during that time that your sister Paloma got gravely hurt. How is she doing now?

- I was called right after she had fallen off the 4th floor, she had landed right on railings. Her doctor says he has only seen one case of such recovery. Paloma is now learning to walk again. This was the triggering event for the new CD. I felt useless staying by her side, I wasn’t proud. As soon as her state was stabilized, I threw myself body and soul into work.

For this album, you’ve collaborated with a lot of famous people such as Pharell Williams and other people spotted online.

- I don’t care about how famous they are. My music isn’t intellectual but instinctive. These collaborations are more about encounters.

Looking back to the Mika you were when you started your career, do you feel like you have changed?

- No, I’m still the same. I can see my 15-year-old self recording classical music. My style, my way of speaking and my voice lead me. If I feel like jumping like a kid, then I know I’m doing the right thing.

Are you worried about time/aging?

- People are always obsessed with aging. Age has never been a barrier for me, though. One of my best friends is 60. We often meet each other at the pub for a beer.

Is this music that gives you this freedom of mind?

- With music, the value of a human being consists in what he creates, whatever his age or his sexual preferences. That’s where the idea of writing a Cd made of Love Songs came from, it is an universal subject. With “The Origin of Love”, I talk about culture, religion, tolerance and intolerance. There’s nothing cheesy about it.

Accoding to you, what is “Love” ?

- In “Origin of Love”, I say that “I love you so much that I’m ready to take the risk to lose everything for you, look at me while I’m killing myself…” It’s very intense, of course.

The actress Fanny Ardent plays in your music video for “Elle me dit”. It is quite an unexpected choice…

- We met each other at a dinner. A young lady was asking her how we could possibly want to die for love. She answered: “ It’s the only reason I’m ready to die for.” It was perfect!

Have you ever wanted to die for love?

- Yes.

Fortunately, you’re still here.

- (Laughing) It’s sweet! I know well this feeling because I often fell in love with people that didn’t love me back. I don’t think I could have written an album like this one any sooner. Before, I only knew love through other people. (He means – I guess - that he didn’t really experienced love himself but only through the people around him that actually experienced love).

This time, I’m exploring, I’m discovering, I’m looking for its origin.

Is there anyone to who you tell your “love affairs”?

- No one! It makes things tasteless, I don’t want to be dull.

“All I wanna do is make you happy”, that’s the chorus of Celebrate (I TRANSLATE XD NOT MY FAULT), aired this summer on the radios. Is this your mission?

- Not at all.

You look pretty optimistic, though.

- You’d better not trust people who jump around on stage. Already as a kid, I was often on my own and I observed people before trusting them. This joy and this optimistic view is rather in my music (than in my life). If you bottle it, it can become really powerful. That’s what I tried to do with this album. I don’t know if I succeeded but I did this album my heart on the sleeve. Some people understand, some other understand a bit less. It will take some time but I’m not afraid.

Edited by Kaito

Thank you for sharing , I feel so moved reading this :tears:

We all go through such times :crybaby: , I'm so happy Mika has found true love and he is happy now :wub2: He has never told so much about himself in the past :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks for translating Kaito. Sorry I wasn't on MFC last night , I feel asleep with my netbook :doh:

Edited by crazyaboutmika