Fan reviews of The Origin of Love

suzie

The Origin of Love, Review By Dreamerxd.

While I’m just sitting here with my cup of coffee, and homeknit slipper, I though I could be useful a make my own review of TOOL!

1. The Origin of Love 5/10

A good song with a bit of a jazz like start, but it’s a bit too boring and “flat”, it’s like something is missing, a bit more power maybe. But! I really enjoy this song, but only live!

2. Lola 7/10

I absolutely adore this song! Great lyrics, especially “Sex and lies and mystery, they don’t bring out the best in me”. It’s a song I could listen too at any time, running, parties etc. But just like TOOL it’s missing a bit more edge, once again a bit flat. But unlike TOOL it’s a great sing-a-long song.

3. Stardust 7/10

I feel like I’m in space when listening to this track! It’s amazing! It’s a great song, but I simply do not know what to think about it. I really like the lyrics, and that space feeling. But it’s quite boring still, I mean, it sounds like every other song with the beat. I’m gonna go with liking this one, because at some point it still has that Mikaish thing.

4. Make You Happy 3/10

Well, it’s waaaay to much electronic! I ruins every single bit of the song! But I do like the lyrics.

5. Underwater 9/10

I LOVE THIS ONE! It’s has a great dramatic vibe going on, and it matches the lyrics perfectly! Nothing more to say, I love it!

6. Overrated 6/10

It lacks originality, I’m not a fan of electronic beats, it’s all done before. Besides the terrible beats, I do like the song, the lyrics are great! But still not a favourite of mine.

*Time for more coffee*

7. Kids 6/10

It’s a really lovely relaxing song! I get completely relexed while listening to this song. I absolutely adore the chorus! I can’t explain it, but it’s amazing!

8. Love You When I’m Drunk 10/10

A Mika classic! It’s a song that holds so much Mika! It’s amazing! I feel like dancing while listening to this song. And we all know the feeling of loving someone only while we’re drunk! It’s my absolute favourite of TOOL!

9. Step With Me 7/10

It’s a great song, but It reminds me of some song I’ve heard before! It bugs me ‘cause I can’t remember the name of the song! But it’s a nice song, and really do like it, it’s a bir refreshing listening too.

10. Popular Song 8/10

I can’t stand the hiphop vibe it has. But I really like the song! I’m in seven minds trying to figure out this one. It’s great, but.. grrr… Song ended.. I admit, I like it.

11. Emily 10/10

I LOVE IT! I loved Elle Me Dit, but as I don’t understand French it wasn’t something I listened to a lot. But this one is amazing!

12. Heroes 6/10

A lovely slow and quite song. I almost fly away in dreams listening to this track. But something is missing, I don’t know what, but it do.

13. Celebrate 8/10

I like this track, it’s so dancy! I just wanna get up throw my slippers away and put my coffee down!

14. Elle Me Dit

As mentioned before I really like this track, but I don’t understand, so this one I won’t rate.

So now that I reached the end of the album, which I really liked. I will give it an overall 7/10.

And once again I’m out of coffee.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in love with Mika's The Origin Of Love and getting so high on it :fangurl:

Too early to detail the review but I'm so happy :swoon:

It's even more than I expected and I had very high expectations :wink2:

I'm floating in a Mika bubble of happiness :swoon::fangurl::stretcher: and it feels so good :wub2:

PS: can't write TOOL for obvious reasons :naughty:

I love so much this album. For me, it's his best album :wub2:

Origin of love, Lola and Underwater are better in live but the studio versions are very good too.

Stardsut and Love you when i'm drunk are my favorites songs of this album. The lyrics and sounds are so perfect :fangurl:

I prefer too this version of Make you happy. better without this robot voice :naughty:

Overrated is very strange but i like a lot

Kids, Step with me, Popular song and heroes are pretty :wub2:

and Emily... so much fun :lmfao: i'm in love with this song as much as the "original" version. (elle me dit)

And the French songs are really really good but i'm not objective because i'm french :naughty:

I find that Mika has a really beautiful voice on this album! I don't know how to explain it or what word to use to express what I feel but ... Wow! this is impressive. When we listen his first songs and this album, we can heard there's a difference. She's even more beautiful than before. I admire this facility he has to sing, his voice rises so easily in the treble (or "acute" i don 't know the right word in english). She's sublime, beautiful, powerful. Ha and when he sings in French I find her even more touching. There's so much emotion. I love his voice, his music, his lyrics. I love what he does, he impress me! I respect him for all this.

by the way, it's only my opinion...

I find that Mika has a really beautiful voice on this album! I don't know how to explain it or what word to use to express what I feel but ... Wow! this is impressive. When we listen his first songs and this album, we can heard there's a difference. She's even more beautiful than before.

Yes I agree. I think some bits may be due to the production rather than his natural voice, but it doesn't matter to me. I really like all his vocals and they all sound distinctly like Mika, even with distortion.

I love so much this album. For me, it's his best album :wub2:

Origin of love, Lola and Underwater are better in live but the studio versions are very good too.

Stardsut and Love you when i'm drunk are my favorites songs of this album. The lyrics and sounds are so perfect :fangurl:

I prefer too this version of Make you happy. better without this robot voice :naughty:

Overrated is very strange but i like a lot

Kids, Step with me, Popular song and heroes are pretty :wub2:

and Emily... so much fun :lmfao: i'm in love with this song as much as the "original" version. (elle me dit)

And the French songs are really really good but i'm not objective because i'm french :naughty:

I find that Mika has a really beautiful voice on this album! I don't know how to explain it or what word to use to express what I feel but ... Wow! this is impressive. When we listen his first songs and this album, we can heard there's a difference. She's even more beautiful than before. I admire this facility he has to sing, his voice rises so easily in the treble (or "acute" i don 't know the right word in english). She's sublime, beautiful, powerful. Ha and when he sings in French I find her even more touching. There's so much emotion. I love his voice, his music, his lyrics. I love what he does, he impress me! I respect him for all this.

by the way, it's only my opinion...

I'm not french and I have to say..."chapeau" for those three french songs, I feel goosebumps when I hear them :wub2: Karen love it since the first time I heard it, L'amour au Mauvais Temps I like it more than the first version in english and Comme un Soleil Mal Luné fantastic for me, adore that piano and HIS VOICE :wub2: a pleasure for my ears and senses :wub2:

I'm in love with Mika's The Origin Of Love and getting so high on it :fangurl:

Too early to detail the review but I'm so happy :swoon:

It's even more than I expected and I had very high expectations :wink2:

I'm floating in a Mika bubble of happiness :swoon::fangurl::stretcher: and it feels so good :wub2:

PS: can't write TOOL for obvious reasons :naughty:

:naughty: I love The Origin Of Love too. I think it's the most beautiful song of all, and the part "like the air I breathe", that really took my breaths away :wub2:

My review. I probably need to listen a few more times to it to form complete opinions about the songs, but here goes for now:

Origin Of Love

I love the joy of this song, it really brings you up and is the perfect pop song. I adore the message of the song, about tolerance and love regardless of a person's sexual orientation. Some fans have said it's a bit blasphemous but I like that controversial side of the song because someone has to put that into song and who's more appropriate to do that than the bold and fierce Mika?

I also like the less is more approach that he took musically on this song, since I think it highlighted the message of the song's lyrics. And from the first time I heard that latin, god like part, I've been madly in love with it.

Lola

Again, the perfect pop song. Very catchy, very joyful and beautifully layered vocal harmonies. His piano playing sounds really pretty in this one.

Stardust

The only complaint I have personally about Stardust is the vocal melodies and tempo in the choruses, all except the last one which I thought sounded catchy with those nice drumbeats. The verses are gorgeously addictive though. Personally, I find it somewhat painful to listen to the lyrics though since I too have suffered from unrequited love and for some reason it makes me feel uncomfortable that Mika sounds so joyful when he's begging for this guy to appreciate how badly he wants to be with him because he should sound depressed and heartbroken about this unrequited love in my opinion, but this is Mika we're talking about and it's kind of his thing to sound joyful when he's singing dark and sad lyrics.

Make You Happy

When I heard this for the first time I didn't know how I felt about it. I guess I thought it was okay but it didn't excite me the way that Mika's tunes usually had. At first I hated the robotic voice but I actually think it's really cool now since it creates an illusion of Mika singing to a robot or whatever it is, some spacelike creature perhaps, I don't know. It's trippy though, so I like it.

I have to admit I skip it nowadays though and I don't appreciate it live, sorry Mika, but from a songwriter's point of view, I can understand why he feels proud of it because it has beautiful melodies and is a really sophisticated song, arrangement wise.

Underwater

Oh, Underwater, how I adore thie! I fell in love with this song from the first moment I heard him perform it live last year. That piano melody melts my soul it's so hauntingly beautiful. That concept of breathing underwater with the assistance of a kiss is so creative to be put in a song. Mika, you songwriting genius you. I hope he releases this as a single and that it gets the recognition it deserves because it sounded like a hit from the first moment I heard it. It's perfection and sends shivers down my spine. To hear the studio version of this blew my mind. I love how the choruses build up into a musical climax and that high note he sings in the ending is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard in my life.

Overrated

One of my favorites on the album, it completely blew my mind. I could hear right away that it was a Klas Åhlund production since I'm a huge fan of Robyn's Body Talk albums and Teddybears Stlm. I don't compare this to the demo version of Overrated because they're so extremely different from eachother. I adore the demo version and always have but this is a completely different song in so many ways. I hope that fans don't give it up because of their disappointment and attachment to the demo version because this song really deserves to be appreciated. I'm madly in love with the honest and dark lyrics of this song. It takes a lot of guts to sing about wanting to give up on life and I'm so proud to be a fan of Mika's when he's brave and bold enough to put his heart on his sleeve like this and pour it out for everyone to hear. The combination of a catchy electro dance tune with depressing lyrics send me over the edge and touch me deeply, I absolutely love it and can't wait to see/hear him perform it live. Wow. I'd better get ready to have my mind blown into a million pieces lol.

Kids

I wasn't fond of this one when I heard the live version but I really appreciated the studio and acoustic versions of it and it's really growing on me. I like the guitar riffs/melodies but that's about it.

Love You When I'm Drunk

Oh, Love you when I'm drunk is pure brilliance! And not just because of the deliciously hilarious concept of the lyrics but it sounds absolutely madly layered, which I love. I actually feel kind of drunk when I'm listening to it. This is why I'm a Mika fan: Because he writes songs that you wish you would've written. Songs about Lollipops, Big Girls and Toy Boys. Songs that are so creative and insane that it almost sounds as if a thousand different people worked on it if that makes any sense. I'm grateful that he kept this one for the album and hope that he will continue to blow my mind by sharing his wonderfully crazy ideas through songs.

Step With Me

I wish I liked it but for some reason it sounds too cheesy to me. Maybe it's because I'm so unlucky in love, I don't know. And for some reason this song reminds me of the Lion King soundtrack. I know, it doesn't make sense, does it? I like the chorus though.

Popular Song

I really like this one but I had gotten all excited when I had heard from fans that he rapped on it because I thought we would finally hear a hardcore gangsta rap from the joyful Mika. Instead he sounds like my friend when he raps on my songs: Silly and dorky, but I guess that's kind of cute. The next time you rap, Mika, I want you to let it all out ok? Don't be shy, I won't be offended , I promise. Other than that, I really think it's an excellent pop song.

Emily

Yay! Finally an english version of one of my favorite Mika songs which I never get tired of listening to. Makes me feel so happy listening to both the french version and this one. Thank you, Mika, that's all I've got to say.

Heroes

Replace this one with Tah Dah please, it bores me and shouldn't had been on the album in my opinion. I tried to like it but it's impossible.

Celebrate

I know many of you hate Pharrell's parts in this song but I'm a Pharrell fan so I automatically adored his parts, eventhough I think he could've done a million times better job with his lyrics. I'm impressed that Mika, if that's the story, convinced Pharrell to actually sing his pretty voice for a few seconds and not just talk/rap. Pharrell; Please don't rap because you stink at it and have nothing important to say. You have a pretty voice, use it more often. The tune is really catchy and summery and I adore it still to this day. Really gives me retro and 90s eurodance vibes. Don't get me started on the music video though lol

Tah Dah

Bonus track, I know, but I want to review it because I adore it. I'm a huge fan of 80s music and this blew my little 80s fangirl mind. Finally I get to hear a Mika song in my favorite genre. I think this style really suits his singing techniques. I find it so hard to believe that Pharrell worked with Mika on this because it sounds nothing like anything they've ever done before. Both of them are incredibly versatile song writers but I'm amazed that they wrote this together (with Jody Marr?). I would love to hear more about the recording process of this song. Wonderful. Perfect. Get 80s Bowie vibes from this too for some reason. Anyway, I adore it, thank you for sharing this as a bonus track, Mika, so we could hear it. Should've been on the album though.

So, in closing, I'm pretty satisfied with most of what this album gave us and it was worth the wait for sure. I'm impressed that the album has so many different genres and eras of music to offer. I wish Mika would give out an album every single year because I think he's one of the most creative song writers on the planet.

Edited by LaraMay

as you can see, i am not a big talker in this forum, but i am sooo in love with this album that i couldn't be silent anymore :blush-anim-cl: so, my little opinion about album...

basically i love it because of sad/melancholic songs. i always wanted for Mika to have more production like I See You and etc., and my wish obviously came true. Heroes, Underwater and Kids are on my top 3. I really don't know, why Heroes and Kids are not so popular in other fans reviews, but for me they are just perfectly composed and breathtaking. and i truly love Heroes lyrics, it has something beautiful and deep to think about.

from more cheerful ones, my favourite are Tah Dah, Karen and Step With Me. I was hoping for Karen music to be a little bit different, but violin (or something like that, don't blame me :fisch:) fits it perfectly :wub2: Tah Dah is something totally new for me, but i can't stop listening to it :naughty:

Overrated and Stardust are great surprises for me, but now i think they would be (or would have been) a suitable choise to represent album face (to playt it on radio and etc.) to make album more popular. It has power that would catch attention (at least people's i know).

Lola, The Origin of Love, Popular Song are o.k. Fun to listen and to entertain, but The Origin of Love in my mind is too... weak to stand in front of all songs. It's different, it's original and chorus in some places is amazing, but there is so little ,,the real and not changed" Mika's voice, that it irritates me a little. On the other hand, maybe i need more time to like it. Now I prefer accoustic versions of these songs.

Every time listening, i skip Make You Happy and Celebrate. Celebrate was on the radio whole summer so i am a little tired of it, and Make You Happy has something strange in it that pulls me away from it. For me Emily is a lot prettier than Elle Me Dit. More catching and funny :aah:Love You When I'm Drink is so crazy, but in a good way. For French songs there is no other word but beautiful :wub2:

All in all, i can see a lot of reasons why this album won't reach top of records charts. It's a lot more personal, calm and not so original (or shocking) like the others Mika's albums. But that doesn't mean it isn't good. It is really good! If i had to choose one from Mika's albums, i would pick this one. I even would have wanted this album to be the second one, not the TBWKTM. In my opinion, Mika is improving and going the right way and in future we will hear a lot of amazing new stuff. I feel, that a lot of OOL songs will stay as classic tunes in music world, just won't ,,explode" as loudly and fast as his old singles. Of course, I want Mika to be more famous, but for now such an album suits me perfectly :wub2:

Heroes, Underwater and Kids are on my top 3. I really don't know, why Heroes and Kids are not so popular in other fans reviews, but for me they are just perfectly composed and breathtaking.

For me I don't like the sound of Kids. There's nothing wrong with it objectively speaking but it sounds like someone else's imprint and not anything Mika would come up with himself.

I'm sure I'll warm up to Kids and Heroes more as I hear them live and acoustic performances, etc. Some of these songs hit you over the head more than others (like Overrated). At this point I can't even say which are even my top 3 favourites. Some are likely appealing just because of the novelty but it's hard to say which ones will stand up 3 years or 10 years from now. Although I think Underwater will forever be a favourite for me at gigs.

Anyway I'm glad you decided to post. I enjoyed your review. :)

I was going to read through everyone's reviews first and then I changed my mind because I don't want it to influence mine, so I'll read them later and compare.

This album has actually surpassed my expectations.

The few singles released previously were just "ok" for me, so I did not have high hopes for this at all. Mika actually almost lost me as a fan, and if I didn't have friends to go to see Mika last month in Quebec, I probably wouldn't be excited about this album at all.

But I am so thrilled that I am loving so many songs on this album.

Everyday I have a new favourite. First it was Popular, then it was Stardust, then Overrated, then Step With Me. Today it's Tah Dah, and then I'll probably have a different one tomorrow (perhaps Love You When I'm Drunk).

I was just reflecting today that I am not a genre snob when it comes to music because I love a variety (okay, I might not be so crazy about country music or heavy metal). This album gives me easy listening with Kids, rap with Popular, disco with Tah Dah, and electronic dance music with Overrated. The commonality among them is the catchy melodies.

I can't friggin' wait to see him in NYC, sing my lungs off, dance, and jump up and down!

I am once again a Mika fan. :wub2:

Edited by Suzy

I have listened to the album and i must say i love it:wub2:

My Fave songs are 'the origin of love' which i go crazy too, underwater which is beautiful and touching and may be at this moment my have on the album.

I too love the demo version of overrated but this version i also love! Its amazing i love the lyrics although instead of saying 'free my pain' i would put free my vein as he sings about offering his wrist. I love the chorus to 'Kids' its such a chilled out song, i can see myself sitting in a field listening to this just relaxing in the setting sun!

Love step with me as the chorus is so damn catchy! Emily is awesome and makes me smile love love it!

The only songs i am not keen on are 'Make you happy' and 'Stardust'. They are too much like the other songs out there that we get forced fed everyday on the radio/tv.

On a whole i love this album its great to listen to, however i miss the sense of real instruments, too computerised for me and i don't think his vocals need as much producing as they have been on this one. Does anyone else miss the piano too?

This will keep me busy listening for months to come, just not another 3 year wait please!

I was going to read through everyone's reviews first and then I changed my mind because I don't want it to influence mine, so I'll read them later and compare.

The few singles released previously were just "ok" for me, so I did not have high hopes for this at all. Mika actually almost lost me as a fan, and if I didn't have friends to go to see Mika last month in Quebec, I probably wouldn't be excited about this album at all.

Everyday I have a new favourite. First it was Popular, then it was Stardust, then Overrated, then Step With Me. Today it's Tah Dah, and then I'll probably have a different one tomorrow (perhaps Love You When I'm Drunk).

I was just reflecting today that I am not a genre snob when it comes to music because I love a variety (okay, I might not be so crazy about country music or heavy metal). This album gives me easy listening with Kids, rap with Popular, disco with Tah Dah, and electronic dance music with Overrated. The commonality among them is the catchy melodies.

I can't friggin' wait to see him in NYC, sing my lungs off, dance, and jump up and down!

Yay another returned fangurl :boing:

Yay another returned fangurl :boing:

Yes! I figured it made sense to give this new album a chance. If I loved him before for the music he makes, why would I not take the time to listen?

Although I'm afraid he has lost a few of the older fans we knew before. How do we get them back? :sad:

Yes! I figured it made sense to give this new album a chance. If I loved him before for the music he makes, why would I not take the time to listen?

Although I'm afraid he has lost a few of the older fans we knew before. How do we get them back? :sad:

Send them a copy of the new album:wink2:

Dunno... if they just got bored then they might return when they hear the new songs :teehee: But if they were really fed up with it all then I guess not... and there doesn't seem to be a lot to return to either....

welcome back :wub2:

http://entertainment.ie/album-review/Mika2DThe2DOrigin2Dof2DLove/140361.htm

Mika - The Origin of Love rating: 4/5 stars

It only takes two songs on Mika's third album, The Origin Of Love, to fall in love with this all-hooks-and-catches form of pop music. 'Lola', scheduled as his second single, following the Pharrell Williams collaboration, 'Celebration', is bouncy and delivers to us his moral-within-a-pop-song formula. It may not be to everyone's taste as the eye-popping high notes of his 2007 number one single, 'Grace Kelly', still shrill in our ear buds. The shrillness rears its head occasionally but Mika's voice is steadily in control, like a master of vocal distortion 'pon a trampoline.

Over the past year and a half, he has worked with big names behind even bigger acts. Pharrell Williams, Benny Benassi, Greg Wells (Katy Perry, Adele) and Klas Åhlund (Robyn, Kylie Minogue) contribute to the album and they have done it justice.

With 'Underwater' and 'Step With Me', he proves that 2007's 'Happy Ending' wasn't a fluke. He excels at delivering power ballads but there is also a consistent level of fun to this album, much like Scissor Sisters' latest album, Magic Hour. He provides depth that's dressed up for playtime.

'Popular (I Know About...)' features Priscilla Renea and it plays on 'Popular' from the musical Wicked, which will no doubt equally delight and disgust Broadway fans across the globe. It tackles the revisited tale of being yourself and even if you're not popular as a kid, it doesn't really matter in the long run. Lyrics like "I hid in the toilets, now it's you that cleans them" hit out at any Mika haters. Hoots? He gives none and he's doing pretty well as a result.

'Emily' is designed to get your dancing before you dissect the carpe diem lyrics. It was initially released en Francais last year ('Elle Me Dit'), which explains the refrain "pourquoi tu gâches ta vie" (why are you wasting your life).

'I Only Love You When I'm Drunk', something most of us can connect to, echoes that familiar track, 'Video Killed The Radio Star'. On its own, if you find yourself nodding along to lyrics like "It was the drink that was leading me blind", not only have you got an infectious pop track on your hands, you've also reached step one in the 12 steps to recovery programme.

There are quality hit singles scattered throughout The Origin Of Love but in its entirety, this is a solid pop album that hasn't succumbed to any 'get rich quick' tricks to get ahead - it does it by itself.

Review by Louise Bruton

Celebration! :doh:

Thank you FD! :wink2:

So Lola is really gonna be the next single? Who decides this stuff ? :freak: It's like the most forgetable track on the entire album :blink:

He said once it was depending on the country/label and not on him. Ut Im not sure how it works cause I know a guy releasing an album with a londoner label next week and he chose the singles. Id say Mika is enough "important" (or important enough,Im always failing at this) as to choose them by himself :dunno:

He said once it was depending on the country/label and not on him. Ut Im not sure how it works cause I know a guy releasing an album with a londoner label next week and he chose the singles. Id say Mika is enough "important" (or important enough,Im always failing at this) as to choose them by himself :dunno:

Yeah he should be important enough I guess, but I'd think he'd be a lot wiser than choosing first Celebrate and then Lola... unless he is entirely fed up with being a popstar :teehee:

Yeah he should be important enough I guess, but I'd think he'd be a lot wiser than choosing first Celebrate and then Lola... unless he is entirely fed up with being a popstar :teehee:

Thats what makes no sense.... each artist has a contract with the label and who knows... but its not new that his label chooses ALWAYS the wrong songs. They screwed it too with TBWKTM and it seems they want to do it again. Seriously,it makes no sense cause they earn more or less money depending on how many albums Mika sells,so,maybe its just that theyre all deaf :shocked:

Thats what makes no sense.... each artist has a contract with the label and who knows... but its not new that his label chooses ALWAYS the wrong songs. They screwed it too with TBWKTM and it seems they want to do it again. Seriously,it makes no sense cause they earn more or less money depending on how many albums Mika sells,so,maybe its just that theyre all deaf :shocked:

They should really ask us before they make any major decisions :sneaky2: