Fan reviews of The Origin of Love

suzie

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe she's just surprised that you seem to like Mika more now than you did then. :naughty:

But we all go through phases. You should have seen me last summer. :mf_rosetinted:

Well I didn't get cancelled recently :mf_rosetinted: No seriously I think it's been good for me to get things seperated a bit again, now I can actually enjoy the music instead of having panic attacks and throwing tantrums because I can't have icecream :mf_rosetinted:And this is a really great album :boing:

Well I didn't get cancelled recently :mf_rosetinted: No seriously I think it's been good for me to get things seperated a bit again, now I can actually enjoy the music instead of having panic attacks and throwing tantrums because I can't have icecream :mf_rosetinted:And this is a really great album :boing:

I was throwing tantrums over his white tights and sickly sweet love songs, but yes this is a really great album. :yay:

I think that might take a little more effort. Even Mika himself couldn't convince her to listen to the album :shocked: I think she'll like some of these songs though once she does. :naughty:

Ouch :boxed: Haven't spoken to her for years :tears:

Probably not. Let's just say you picked the right time to find something else to do for a couple of years. :teehee:

Well from what I've heard (both music and general gossip :mf_rosetinted:) I think you're right :naughty:

Ok here is my review/thoughts on TOOL.

Origin Of Love

I still think this is a very good song but badly let down by the production, which is too light and unremarkable. As the opener for the album it needs to have more oomph. A disappointment for me as I had higher hopes. It's better live. 7.5/10

Lola

Perfectly pleasant, well crafted midtempo song with nice piano and vocal hooks, but it doesn't stand out, and it's not single material. 6/10

Stardust

I think this could well be the gem on this album. At first it reminded me of a very good Eurovision song, the kind that would win hands down, but with noticeably more depth than that. It's pure adrenaline electrodance with a very modern feel with more hooks than a Peter Pan-themed fancy dress party, and Mika sounds genuinely full of longing in his vocals, which gives it a human edge that much music of this genre lacks. It MUST be a single. If Island don't grab this chance they will regret it. 9/10

Make You Happy (1)

A departure for Mika in terms of him experimenting more with time signature and electronica, and of course the vocoder tool. Unlike some of Mika's work this is a song I can listen to on repeat without getting annoyed, as it's subtly affecting, both musically and lyrically, and it proves an important thing to me about Mika: he can push his boundaries musically when he wants to. That makes me happy for the future. 8/10

Underwater

There's something about this song which just bores me, and it's called the chorus. I recognise it's nicely written, and the verses are catchy, but it does nothing for me overall and will become a skip candidate. 4.5/10

Overrated

Now this is an interesting one. Schizophrenic or what? An intro that sounds like Kraftwerk and a touch of Radio Gaga in the verse, then Mika decides it would be a great idea to stick in the squeaky chorus of that old demo we have a soft spot for. Somehow though, it ends up working, in a crazy way. Definitely an oddity, certainly marmite, and potentially a live stormer.

6.5/10

Kids

Mellow and almost like a chillout track after Overrated. Despite some interesting percussion effects, it's a bit wishy washy overall. Not remarkable but it has its place in the flow of the album 5/10

Love You When I'm Drunk

As close as you can probably get to a signature sound for Mika. He brings a 70/80s vibe bang up to date with some flourish and a great, punchy vocal. Lyrically too this is going to make people nod and smile and connect. Very good mid-album track which blows away the cobwebs after Kids. 8/10

Step With Me

the lilting, quasi-Lovers' Rock verse gives way to a delicious, sexy chorus which could have been sung by a Philadelphia Soul 70s manband or perhaps 90s Boyzone. Possibly the biggest earworm on the album, and showcases Mika's lower register to great effect. Potential single and/or a big candidate for a cover version by another artist. 8.5/10

Popular Song

Mika doesn't so much rap as drawl Beck-style in this RnB/Broadway mashup. the fantastic hook in the borrowed chorus is the focus, of course, but Priscilla Renea's sassy vocals and the relatable lyrics make it a winner. Really catchy and another potential single 8.5/10

Emily

Cleverly translated into English, in my opinion; it retains the general sentiment of the original very adeptly. Still a bit too bubblegum pop and repetitive for me but it adds fun to the album 5/10

Heroes

Heartfelt ballad which evokes Any Other World and as such is not really my cup of tea. The falsetto chorus is nice, and it's well produced, but overall there is slightly too much schmaltz here 4.5/10

Celebrate

This changes the mood considerably and is a bouncy and sunny contemporary pop song. Whether it was good enough to be lead single is very debatable though.

7/10

Make You Happy (2)

The string-filled reprise is lyrically relevant, providing the response to the sentiments in the earlier version, but I prefer this as an electronic song. It rounds the album off well, though 6/10

Overall I'm giving the album 7/10.

It's a solid, well crafted and catchy pop album which really deserves to be a success for Mika. :thumb_yello: But it's nothing groundbreaking or life-changing for me.

Edited by Gatagordinha

I don’t know if others will be affected by this or even hear it like I do, but this was the music I grew up with. Not just a few records I found later in life but the songs I heard all day every day when I was a child. I think your mind is affected by this music you are exposed to as a child in the same way it is shaped by the language(s) you learn.

Great review, Christine, thank you so much! :thumb_yello: I have the same feeling as you above, this album reminds me of so many things from my childhood, but I really can't put it detailed like you. Those days music (even big hits) came to my country late (a lot of covers etc) and I can't even make a proper time line.

Love You When I'm Drunk**********This is so bouncy and funny, I can't wait to scream along to it live :boing: Lyrics are hillarious and the melody is catchy...perfect! I think this one is truly "Mika-ish"

Tah Dah **********+*

and here's the real celebration :boing: The Bee Gees song I've been waiting for since the 80s, thanks for finally releasing it Mika :fisch: So AWESOME :yay:

A short quote from you. These two songs are my big favorites!! Something I was hoping but not really expecting for real. Beside these two songs the recorded versions for Lola and Karen were pleasant surprises as well! Karen is actually much better than the version we have heard live (and loved that already). Light and pretty :wub2:

Origin Of Love

I still think this is a very good song but badly let down by the production, which is too light and unremarkable. As the opener for the album it needs to have more oomph. A disappointment for me as I had higher hopes. It's better live. 7.5/10

I agree here, it is better live, and I put Underwater into the same category (both my absolute favorite songs). I really like the recorded versions of LYWID, both of them, but I have hopes it will be live even better :thumb_yello:

I'm very much in a fangurl hype atm. :teehee: It will stabilize but I think he can be very pleased with his work indeed and I imagine this album will sell surprisingly well. We'll see.

Edited by tiibet

Thank you for these reviews, I will probably try to make one next week. Smokesignal, have you also "Comme un soleil"/"Soleil mal luné" on your album?

I did listen to the song last night, but by the time I wrote my thoughts down this morning I couldn't remember it well enough to say anything about it. That kind of sums it up, I guess :wink2:

Ok here is my review/thoughts on TOOL.

Origin Of Love

I love how we have complete opposite opinions on this one :teehee: I do agree it needs more oomph (espescially towards the end) though :mf_rosetinted:

Has anybody put the cd version of Karen on the Internet? I'm slightly obsessed with the song and would be curious to hear it. But, as I don't live in France, I will never be able to download it off iTunes. :(

I'd also like to hear the other (terrible) French songs.

The new mix of Make You Happy slips back into the ‘60s like Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite meets Eleanor Rigby meets Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. The strings are f*cking amazing. Can’t get enough of this. I think it will always be one of my favourites.:

I haven't listened to anything yet but this caught my eye :excite: Can't wait to hear.

The danish site Gaffa.dk says this about TOOL:

Three Stars!

The most surprising about Mika's new album is, that it does not surprise

Since Mika first appeared (Back in 2007, and the album was Life in Cartoon Motion), he has managed to surprise every time he sent new material out. The Origin of Love marks it self by exempt from this rule.

Love's origin har brought Mika to easily recognizable themes and lyrics without the same oblique angles og storytellings, as he usually does brilliant.

Musically He has thrown his love on the electronic mainstream sounds in collaboration with Pharrelll Williams and others. Unoriginal beats to just as stupid titles as Overrated, Make You Happy and Celebrate. What's left is a always recognizable Mika-Vocal, At least when it doesn't drown in electronic effects.

There is no successor to Big Girls, Grace Kelly or We are Golden on the new album. But there is some bright moments. I Only Love You When I'm Drunk, is a typical sarcastic Mika-Track, and Step With Me is quite fun to listen to as update of NKOTB's Step by Step.

Mika is still great, but has earlier on set the standard so high, that a album without the surprises of originality, simply won't do.

http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/64345

AND! My own personal review will be up here later! :wink2:

I don't seem to have time for anything these days so only started to read the reviews last night. I'll reply to more as well a write my own later but this part I need to quote now :roftl:

Celebrate **********

Nothing to celebrate here, move on...

Tah Dah **********+*

and here's the real celebration :boing: The Bee Gees song I've been waiting for since the 80s, thanks for finally releasing it Mika :fisch: So AWESOME :yay:

:lmfao:

I want Barry to be back for good :mf_rosetinted:

I don't seem to have time for anything these days so only started to read the reviews last night. I'll reply to more as well a write my own later but this part I need to quote now :roftl:

:lmfao:

I want Barry to be back for good :mf_rosetinted:

No need waiting for Barry. Bet Mika can write such a song in like...15 minutes.

Tah Dah :mf_rosetinted: