2012 - Mika @ Weekend Wogan Xmas Special 12.12.2012 Union Chapel - on BBC Radio2 23.12.2012

DerMoment1608

Thanks for the video, Lara :original:

I like this version of the song. But what I don't like is that he reads nearly the whole lyrics from the sheet of paper. As this concert is mostly for the radio it's not that important, the listeners won't know it :wink2: But towards the crowd in the church it seems a little bit unprofessional and unprepared (MFCers probably will tend to think it's cute, I don't exclude myself, but normal people will rather not...). It's not that the lyrics are there for safety and he inconspicuous looks at them from time to time like with "Toy Boy" or "She tells me", here he reads most of the lines from the sheet.

He is looking at the sheet an awful lot, isn't he? Seriously, he even peeks for 'and a happy new year', which really isn't that hard to remember... I don't think it is possible to play cute enough to get away with that, although he gets close :teehee:

Personally I have a bigger problem with him forgetting the lyrics to his own songs. Soleil mal luné and Toy boy are both so beautiful, but also both all about the lyrics. I admit he still sings them beautifully, but I do think seeing him reading the lyrics from a piece of paper hurts the performance.

He is looking at the sheet an awful lot, isn't he? Seriously, he even peeks for 'and a happy new year', which really isn't that hard to remember... I don't think it is possible to play cute enough to get away with that, although he gets close :teehee:

Personally I have a bigger problem with him forgetting the lyrics to his own songs. Soleil mal luné and Toy boy are both so beautiful, but also both all about the lyrics. I admit he still sings them beautifully, but I do think seeing him reading the lyrics from a piece of paper hurts the performance.

No, it doesn't hurt the performance... I first heard the xmas song in an audio file first and I would have never have guessed he had the lyrics sheet in his hands...

Same with Soleil, he sings that song with so much emotion! I don't really know why he thinks he needs that sheet sometimes, but like I said previously, I see it as some kind of security blanket

I don't think it's a security blanket. I think there's a good chance he's going to forget some of the lyrics and it's less embarrassing to read them than it is to screw them up. I would think un soleil mal luné would be especially difficult because a) he didn't write the lyrics :mf_rosetinted: and b) there are not a lot of music cues.

I've been listening to that John Lennon song since before Mika was born but I don't think I could do an original vocal without a lyric sheet. It's one thing to sing along with the recording when you've got all those cues to trigger your memory and another to sing it yourself.

I've noticed Adele and lots of other people reading lyrics when they are doing covers on Jools Holland. I would imagine they only have a few hours to prepare.

I'm quite familiar with that choir :teehee: Blur did a song called Tender with them ... obviously members change over the years ... but it was with the London Community Gospel Choir :wink2: They toured with them as well ... ]
weren't they the ones doing the backing vocals to Somebody to Love at the FM tribute concert as well?

i personally have a bigger problem when he sings parts of a song an octave higher than he should have to sound good. :cool:

As this is not his song and for the radio, I think it is ok to read lyrics. He said it earlier that he doesn't remember his own songs he has not written and the lyrics to the other song you mention (Toy Boy) is clearly one of these. I don't mind it if it is because a particular song is a sudden choice that he can otherwise always perform with some cheat sheet to help with the lyrics. Same thing happened in Vienna. However, In case the performance is also lacking in something it could be judged negatively as performers are expected to respect the audience and come prepared for the stage. I think there was some discussion on this last summer. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

Can someone record the show? I would like to have the whole show as a memory. And can I have the link to radio2 again, please?

I'll try to record it at Today 11:00 by Radiosure http://www.radiosure.com/ .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pfrsf

Hope BBC2 will upload it their podcast soon. http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wogan

Can´t believe I really was there :wub2:, sitting here with tears in my eyes and being so moved by the memories of that special evening. Theresa thank you again!!!!

Awww! :huglove:

I'm feeling quite emotional also. It's the time of year. :wub2: