Children's music from your country

suzie

Following Mika’s kid-friendly version of Popular I googled for some other songs children are listening to nowadays and I had this idea to collect children’s music from different countries. The reason behind is that when I as young children listened to music composed to them by adults rather than listening to child-friendly versions of adult songs. So we’d better collect these before they disappear.:mf_rosetinted: I do love them.

I have favourite ones from other countries as well but of course I’ll start with my childhood – no Hungarian speaking ones in the first post though so that I don’t scare anyone away. :teehee:

The first one is the title track of a cartoon that includes no talking at all even during the story. Bunny with chequred ears - music written in the 70s by a contemporary Hungarian composer

[YOUTUBE]cn754Xz-lQ8[/YOUTUBE]

The next one is the title track of a folk tale series watched by adults and kids alike here – composed by a folk- rock band.

[YOUTUBE]6htgqDQtl9U[/YOUTUBE]

The theme of the last fairy tale is a Gavotte (dance) by a classical French composer called Gossec but it was transcribed to xilophone, which I love and really fits the story about a tiny little green pig

[YOUTUBE]vxUoJ0rSlcE&playnext=1&list=PL69D807799F2F38D5&feature=results_main[/YOUTUBE]

I hope you all share some favourites from your childhood.

Edited by suzie

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when thinking about songs i could post here, i was shocked to find out that most of my favourite childhood songs are from TV series! :shocked: in some cases the songs were written for the series, in other cases songs from popular artists were taken and used for the series. and some of those songs are still being played at parties here, or at the oktoberfest, and everyone sings along. it's songs of which you would say "every kid knows the lyrics", tho i'm not sure about that anymore, as today's cartoon series are different and so i don't know if children even still know those songs. :teehee: but most germans that are about my age know those songs, and the lyrics.

for example the title track of "tom & jerry", that was a song by a very popular german singer, udo jürgens, and they took parts of that song for the cartoon series intro:

[YOUTUBE]AtX2OVhdmQ8[/YOUTUBE]

Then we have Pippi Langstrumpf, of course this was written especially for the series:

[YOUTUBE]ayHzg8oMvV0[/YOUTUBE]

and one more (then i'll stop for now, tho i could find a dozen more! :teehee:), biene maja... this is one of the songs that you can still hear at parties, in a slightly different version to the one from the series. here's the original intro:

[YOUTUBE]lyXkXKBQ_9o[/YOUTUBE]

and this is an example how popular the song still is, the guy who originally sang it joins german pop band PUR on stage and a whole stadium is singing along:

[YOUTUBE]PTPACXGSgYY[/YOUTUBE]

The next one is the title track of a folk tale series watched by adults and kids alike here – composed by a folk- rock band.

[YOUTUBE]6htgqDQtl9U[/YOUTUBE]

I enjoyed watching Hungarian folk tales as a child and I'm not surprised that my son enjoys them too even he is a Cartoon Network addict. :aah:

@mellody Pippi and Maja were also very popular in former Yugoslavia. I can still sing translated Maja song.:teehee:

Here's an intro from a very popular cartoon when I was a child, and one of my favorites

[YOUTUBE]HDFjM4GqdsA[/YOUTUBE]

I also loved everything that children's choir "Kolibri" sang. Their interpretation of music was really unique and special. :wub2:

[YOUTUBE]4H2l4zGm3a8[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by nenartus

Don't know if I should post the songs I listened to as a child since they aren't very child friendly :aah:

Guess I'll try to find the children's songs I sung at kindergarten instead.

And yeah I loved all the Astrid Lindgren songs, still do swedish as I am. :teehee:

I enjoyed watching Hungarian folk tales as a child and I'm not surprised that my son enjoys them too even he is a Cartoon Network addict. :aah:

@mellody Pippi and Maja were also very popular in former Yugoslavia. I can still sing translated Maja song.:teehee:

Here's an intro from a very popular cartoon when I was a child, and one of my favorites

[YOUTUBE]HDFjM4GqdsA[/YOUTUBE]

I also loved everything that children's choir "Kolibri" sang. Their interpretation of music was really unique and special. :wub2:

[YOUTUBE]4H2l4zGm3a8[/YOUTUBE]

I loved the Baltazar song when I was little. And the series as well :wub2:

So I used to listen to this radio program thingie when I was little. It was this troll: Trolle, who had a radio show in which he thought kids about safety in the trafic. And then he had four brothers who used to joined him, well they were all special in their own way :aah:

I absolutely loved my two Trolle's trafikradio cassette tapes. Still do :naughty:

On one of the tape they sung this song. It's a song about how much they love biscuites. :aah: The background story is a bit too long to write here, but it had to do with believe it or not, traffic.

[YOUTUBE]98nUPbelres[/YOUTUBE]

And this is the song about things you shouldn't do in traffic, and if you do them then you're stupid. And in the end, things starts to go a little crazy and they begin to fight with each other. Yeah I still laugh at it. :roftl:

[YOUTUBE]shqHJFWRNro[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Lilasko

Here are mines ;) They're mainly from (Disney) cartoons :fisch:

[YOUTUBE]5Br0-_c1JFA[/YOUTUBE]

Aaww :blush-anim-cl:

[YOUTUBE]8E3zXZeZHgs[/YOUTUBE]

Soooo cheesy :naughty:

[YOUTUBE]NrRLkeNN9dM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ppGX9JA5LeA[/YOUTUBE]

(I doubt anyone else knows these characters XD They were invented by my dad's friends :aah:)

I had forgotten...

[YOUTUBE]AXe1gRvHp6U&feature=endscreen[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Kaito

Love Disney songs :wub2:

I'm starting to get really nostalgic here. All the songs remind me of the programs I used to watch/listen to when I was little :teehee:

[YOUTUBE]nbJPsBq6brQ[/YOUTUBE]

Loved the song mostly because it was my favorite program when I was little. Just loved it.

oh, I love how many responses this thread has had already. I will listen to each of the posts and may respond to some - I am already thrilled by after the first 2 posts I have read so far:

for example the title track of "tom & jerry", that was a song by a very popular german singer, udo jürgens, and they took parts of that song for the cartoon series intro:

The beginning is ragtime music - I really like that.

Then we have Pippi Langstrumpf, of course this was written especially for the series.

We also many children songs written for tv series - this is the proper way of doing a film or a series: having music written for it rather than borrowing songs written for something /someone else.

biene maja...

and this is an example how popular the song still is, the guy who originally sang it joins german pop band PUR on stage and a whole stadium is singing along

We also had Maya the bee over here, I think, but I never watched it as I was already older by then. So Karel Gott was popular in Germany, too? :roftl: We have a Hungarian version of Lady Karneval from him. I have just checked the composer of the song and it turns out to be the same guy: Karel Svoboda. Anyone from Czechia here? Didn't he also write the music for the series 'Hospital at the end of the City'?I really liked that music and his name sounds familiar, like I saw it back then in the credits.

I enjoyed watching Hungarian folk tales as a child

Oh, I didn't know these were shown in other countries as well.

We had this series as well. I didn't know it came from Yugoslavia.

I also loved everything that children's choir "Kolibri" sang.

This is beautiful. I love children choirs, especially when they sing in multiple part harmony.:wub2:

Peter & the Wolf, with narration . . .

This classical pience from Russian composer Prokofiev may be the first ever musical children's story. (from early last century) We learned about instruments by listening to this at school when I was around 8-9.

Never heard of Bowie and Sting being involved in filming this until around 5 years ago ..

It is still being used in a lot of ads, like last year one for Coke. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

I'm not sooo old so I was a child not a long time ago. :teehee:

I was listening to these tv show when I was very young.

[YOUTUBE]bgRLn3kFRUo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]f2zlGyUt8x4[/YOUTUBE]

And when I was a little older, like 7-8 years old. I was a BIG BIG pokemon fan. As much as I am for Mika right now. :mf_rosetinted:

[YOUTUBE]eCU_iTr-r4E[/YOUTUBE]

And a lot of Disney movies, like The Lion King (but in french from Quebec, yes it's differents voices from the France one)

Checked out some more links now..

@Lilasko we also say kex for biscuits, just spell it differently :teehee:

This Pippi character seems to be well-known in many countries. THe story comes from a Swedish writer it seems

My most favourites from all times:

Maya the bee

:blink::lmfao:

are you sure? :roftl: (check link)

And this one i loved so much...Once upon a time, man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfevvbkbz4

I can vaguely recall this animated film beling shown in Hungary as well. All I remember is that it starts with Bach's music though. I found it grandious.

The theme of the Spanish animated movie @LeiRe posted reminded me of one of the most popular Hungarian animated film about a little fox called Vuk. The title track is this one, sang by the daughter of the composer who is my age now:

[YOUTUBE]LIkoPpvw22g[/YOUTUBE]

@Lilasko we also say kex for biscuits, just spell it differently :teehee:

This Pippi character seems to be well-known in many countries. THe story comes from a Swedish writer it seems

Didn't know that :teehee:

Yes, Astrid Lindgren :wink2: She's extremely popular here in sweden, one of the biggest swedish write of all time. She's soon to be on one of the swedish notes.

20-kronor-astrid-lindgren.jpeg?w=529&h=293

Guess Pippi Longstocking is her most famous character outside sweden.

astrid_pippi.jpg

Edited by Lilasko

Russia:russia:

At the moment all love music and songs from the cartoon "Masha and the Bear"

[YOUTUBE]qd6OtRox9V8[/YOUTUBE]

Old children's song

Song of the Little Red Riding Hood)

[YOUTUBE]LSDuvjMjEaQ[/YOUTUBE]

"Two cheerful goose")

[YOUTUBE]QwkepjQg7Rg[/YOUTUBE]

Russia:russia:

oh, I have been waiting for the Russian songs. I really like the last one you linked but I am missing my favourite: Чебура́шка - so I am adding it. :teehee:

I still feel really nostalgic when listening to it even though I never even saw the story, only know this song I learned at school when I was around 12.

[YOUTUBE]y3GEmK0MJtI[/YOUTUBE]

Peter & the Wolf, with narration . . .

ah yes i remember that too, i had a record with that music & narration, and it had a scratch at one point where it kept repeating the same bit over and over again! :lmfao: peter and the wolf is very popular, but it was never one of my favourites. i used to hate most classical music with passion until my early 20s! :teehee:

Here are mines ;) They're mainly from (Disney) cartoons :fisch:

ah yes, disney, i forgot! :doh: the ones you posted from mulan and hercules belonged to my favourites as well, but i was already a teenager then. :teehee: from my childhood i remember the jungle book though, i think it's the one you posted too (the video is blocked in germany :aah:) - bare necessities is the english title. i had disney's jungle book as a record, used to listen to it over and over again. :wub2:

i also loved this one, from elliot:

[YOUTUBE]rbC0iY1EIn8[/YOUTUBE]

and the songs from mary poppins and alice in wonderland - especially this one:

[YOUTUBE]YLBp-TkWMAI[/YOUTUBE]

My most favourites from all times:

Maya the bee

Vicky the Viking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEoO1IQU57k

Marco

And my favourite, Pippi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_azUeoWP3Q

Oh and i forgot about this...Banna and Flappy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfV3fVe5i3Q

And this one i loved so much...Once upon a time, man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfevvbkbz4

it's amazing, you had all the cartoon series that we had too! :shocked: some have the same intro music in german, but "marco" and the ones in your second post have different ones. i also loved the german intro of "once upon a time, man...", it's by the same guy who made the intro of tom&jerry:

[YOUTUBE]ITPhlUJQ0wI[/YOUTUBE]

and i used to watch the series about the squirrel as well, in german it was called "puschel das eichhorn" and we had a different intro... i listened to it again now and i remember some parts, but as opposed to other series that music was none that stuck in my head. i remember the music for "marco" though, they always sang "ciao marco ciao": :naughty:

[YOUTUBE]EMtSBRP97l4[/YOUTUBE]

it's very interesting to see different songs for the same pictures!

We also many children songs written for tv series - this is the proper way of doing a film or a series: having music written for it rather than borrowing songs written for something /someone else.

oh i don't know, often it works really well to use an existing song! for example the tom&jerry intro of my first post, like i said, it was an existing song - if you listen to the lyrics of the whole song, it doesn't fit to the tv series much... but the part they used fits perfectly!

We also had Maya the bee over here, I think, but I never watched it as I was already older by then. So Karel Gott was popular in Germany, too? :roftl:

yeah i guess, kinda... :teehee: i'd think he was popular mostly amongst older people, but then again, my mum had a record of him when i was little, and she was in her 30s at that time, so not *that* old... :naughty:

I used to love this song:

[YOUTUBE]ULkxza-6ww8[/YOUTUBE]

Actually I still love it... :aah:

aww that indeed sounds great! parts of it remind me of the music for the movie "neverending story", i love that too...

I can vaguely recall this animated film beling shown in Hungary as well. All I remember is that it starts with Bach's music though. I found it grandious.

The theme of the Spanish animated movie @LeiRe posted reminded me of one of the most popular Hungarian animated film about a little fox called Vuk. The title track is this one, sang by the daughter of the composer who is my age now:

[YOUTUBE]LIkoPpvw22g[/YOUTUBE]

aww that's cute! :wub2: