US Dancing with the Stars - October 21, 2013

dcdeb

I don't see any evidence of him being forced to do something he doesn't want to do. He looked like he enjoyed himself - backstage, on stage and in his tweets afterwards. I don't see what the difference is between this and any other TV show he's performed on. Just because WE would rather he was singing without Ariana doesn't mean someone put a gun to his head.

Personally, I think I'm biased towards Ariana because she shares her name with my daughter but I truly think he enjoys doing things with her. He always act so kindly towards her, you can't really fake that:wink2:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not fond of Popular Song but I'm enjoying it more and more. I think this performance was much better than the first one. Both of them seemed more relaxed too, I really enjoyed watching it :wub2:

But... I hate his hair :mf_rosetinted: and like (???) said before, the dancers were quite inapropriate imo :mf_rosetinted:

I'm still not fond of Popular Song but I'm enjoying it more and more. I think this performance was much better than the first one. Both of them seemed more relaxed too, I really enjoyed watching it :wub2:

But... I hate his hair :mf_rosetinted: and like (???) said before, the dancers were quite inapropriate imo :mf_rosetinted:

Well, it's a dancing Hollywood show, it was obvious there would be there:thumb_yello:

I don't see any evidence of him being forced to do something he doesn't want to do. He looked like he enjoyed himself - backstage, on stage and in his tweets afterwards. I don't see what the difference is between this and any other TV show he's performed on. Just because WE would rather he was singing without Ariana doesn't mean someone put a gun to his head.

Do you mean you don't see any difference between this one,and let's say his performance at Jools Holland's show? or at Star Academie? Of course no one put a gun to his head,it's just the feeling I got watching it,it was cute,cute,cute,but nothing more for me :dunno:

Oh, yes and what do you think of his hair style on Kiss FM? :thumbdown: so you must be right, it's his LA hairstylist :aah:

forgot about that one :doh:

There seemed to be so much product in his hair that it looked fake, almost like a wig. I prefer to see his hair move.

tumblr_muf5leNwlQ1svr6u9o1_250.gif

:thumb_yello:

i think it's playful... just like the cute little ears Ariana has on her head. His hair was nothing like a mullet! it was more à la 1960s aka John Travolta... Christine mentioned the proper name for it last night... i can't remember :teehee:

i said it was bordering on a mullet. Just a little bit longer in the back and it would be. Rewatching, i realized it was making me think of this....

Joey-full-house-180723_640_474.jpg

:aah:

Gawd who cares that much about his hair, seriously. It's not as if he isn't going to change it tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. And prepare yourselves ladies but one day he is going to be old and not have thick brown curls at all and you are going to be crying over the loss of his beautiful mullet. :naughty:

gah you're right, i don't really care. it doesn't effect his voice, so in the end it doesn't matter.

Edited by kreacher

Well, it's a dancing Hollywood show, it was obvious there would be there:thumb_yello:

Yes but she's right the dancers were inappropriately dressed for the song and their routine wasn't great. It just looked some lame variety show thing from the 1970s. This is such a crap dancing show. SYTYCD was way better, at least back in the day. I guess the big appeal is the celebrities.

Do you mean you don't see any difference between this one,and let's say his performance at Jools Holland's show? or at Star Academie? Of course no one put a gun to his head,it's just the feeling I got watching it,it was cute,cute,cute,but nothing more for me :dunno:

Well in the case of Jools Holland obviously intimate acoustic performances are going to be different from a "show". But the exact same rule applies to his gigs. For me nothing is ever going to top Mika's performance of Stardust off mic at a synagogue. You are not going to repeat that on a large stage anywhere, it's just not possible. But that doesn't mean there is no value in a performance that is staged. Most of his TV performances are highly staged and actually it's when they are not that it comes off looking awkward and uninspired. That's why Jay Leno was lacking in comparison and this was a better effort. They were both better prepared and focused this time, it seemed to me.

As for Star Academie, yes I think it was more or less the same. I think the overall production was more interesting on Star Academie whereas the dancers did not add any value here. But Ariana is way better than the contestants on Star Academie so even though Mika and Ariana are not the greatest duo in pop history she is still a better match for him than anyone on Star Academie. Mika seemed to be having a lot of fun on Star Academie but I also sensed that here.

Does it sound as sincere as Stardust or Happy Ending or Underwater? Of course not, because the song is frivolous by comparison. Is it any less sincere than performances of Lollipop and Big Girl? I don't think so.

That's acting what he does on his gigs,but not fake acting,like someone forced him to do it.He is an artist,and we know he likes to make up his own stories on stage,obviously he does that from his heart.It is a big difference,imo.

Acting is always fake. There is no such thing as sincere acting.

I feel like, no matter what she does, Ariana never does good enough according to some people here and I don't think the way she sings is to blame for that.

I much rather see him being 'fake' on a tv show like this where he performs than being 'sincere' at a talent show where he is only judging.

Indeed. :lmfao:

That is not to say of course that you can't have true heartfelt performances during gigs and even on television. Adele cried during a performance of Someone Like You on the BRITs and I don't believe for a minute that it was acting. But it was 3 years ago, she has moved on completely in her life, and if she wants to move her audience with performances of this song in the future she is going to have to put on an act. Anyone is going to have to act when they are singing Happy Ending for the 500th time. That's the job. Mika goes out of his way to put on a "show" for many tours and calls it musical theatre. That is the intention.

BTW Star Acadmie was very much staged. Mika was focused on the cameras, focused on the other performers, focused on the dancing, the props, etc. It wasn't like a gig where he interacts with the audience and the band, etc. That's one of the reasons it looked so great on TV. It was well rehearsed and it was a proper choreographed show.

Well in the case of Jools Holland obviously intimate acoustic performances are going to be different from a "show". But the exact same rule applies to his gigs. For me nothing is ever going to top Mika's performance of Stardust off mic at a synagogue. You are not going to repeat that on a large stage anywhere, it's just not possible. But that doesn't mean there is no value in a performance that is staged. Most of his TV performances are highly staged and actually it's when they are not that it comes off looking awkward and uninspired. That's why Jay Leno was lacking in comparison and this was a better effort. They were both better prepared and focused this time, it seemed to me.

As for Star Academie, yes I think it was more or less the same. I think the overall production was more interesting on Star Academie whereas the dancers did not add any value here. But Ariana is way better than the contestants on Star Academie so even though Mika and Ariana are not the greatest duo in pop history she is still a better match for him than anyone on Star Academie. Mika seemed to be having a lot of fun on Star Academie but I also sensed that here.

Does it sound as sincere as Stardust or Happy Ending or Underwater? Of course not, because the song is frivolous by comparison. Is it any less sincere than performances of Lollipop and Big Girl? I don't think so.

That's clear,this one was much better than Jay Leno! But I remember I liked very much the show at Star Academie,I can't say exactly why.Maybe you're right,and it was just my impression that he enjoyed more that one :dunno:

I know,we can't compare Popular with Stardust,or Make you Happy,it wouldn't be fair,and I'm not expecting to get goosebumps at all,but I can't think of anything but CUTE seeing this one :aah: And that's the general opinion on twitter too,all the arianators are dying by so much cuteness :doh: If this was the purpose for this performance,then alright,he reached it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Indeed. :lmfao:

That is not to say of course that you can't have true heartfelt performances during gigs and even on television. Adele cried during a performance of Someone Like You on the BRITs and I don't believe for a minute that it was acting. But it was 3 years ago, she has moved on completely in her life, and if she wants to move her audience with performances of this song in the future she is going to have to put on an act. Anyone is going to have to act when they are singing Happy Ending for the 500th time. That's the job. Mika goes out of his way to put on a "show" for many tours and calls it musical theatre. That is the intention.

BTW Star Acadmie was very much staged. Mika was focused on the cameras, focused on the other performers, focused on the dancing, the props, etc. It wasn't like a gig where he interacts with the audience and the band, etc. That's one of the reasons it looked so great on TV. It was well rehearsed and it was a proper choreographed show.

True, and I bet if he would do Popular on SA the production would be totally different. Would have probably involved aclass room and witches.

That's clear,this one was much better than Jay Leno! But I remember I liked very much the show at Star Academie,I can't say exactly why.Maybe you're right,and it was just my impression that he enjoyed more that one :dunno:

I know,we can't compare Popular with Stardust,or Make you Happy,it wouldn't be fair,and I'm not expecting to get goosebumps at all,but I can't think of anything but CUTE seeing this one :aah: And that's the general opinion on twitter too,all the arianators are dying by so much cuteness :doh: If this was the purpose for this performance,then alright,he reached it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Yes, the purpose of that performance was to be cute and a breath of fresh air from all the drama they try to put on the dancing competition.

I feel like, no matter what she does, Ariana never does good enough according to some people here and I don't think the way she sings is to blame for that.

I much rather see him being 'fake' on a tv show like this where he performs than being 'sincere' at a talent show where he is only judging.

I don't think he is acting at his shows, except when he is doing his little "plays" like shooting or joking with Max etc and even those moments he is often improvising. I rather call it performing and it can be very sincere. It's a planned performance and he has his routines, of course. He might even have same little chats in several shows but it always depends on what kind of contact he has with the audience/what's his mood and if he is feeling good he talks directly from the heart and it's easy to see he is having genuinely fun in some songs and that there's real feeling in some other songs.

I want to hear him singing, too. Even if it's only one song with someone else it's always a pleasure. There are also some other things I always look forward to almost as much as singing. Love his columns and would love to hear another podcast (about his inspiration, music, soundtracks etc). Knowing about his inspiration and about him as person gives more meaning to his songs, imo.

I don't blame Ariana,how could I,when she is so cute! :mf_rosetinted: No really,she has a good voice,and a great opportunity to get such a huge promotion on the US,unlike other artists more talented maybe....Good for her,I don't care,I won't be her fan never.

I prefer to see him doing something from his heart,no matter what it is.

I want to hear him singing, too. Even if it's only one song with someone else it's always a pleasure. There are also some other things I always look forward to almost as much as singing. Love his columns and would love to hear another podcast (about his inspiration, music, soundtracks etc). Knowing about his inspiration and about him as person gives more meaning to his songs, imo.

I must have missed something :mf_rosetinted:

Is there already a Mika podcast somewhere on this planet earth?

:shocked:

He might even have same little chats in several shows but it always depends on what kind of contact he has with the audience/what's his mood and if he is feeling good he talks directly from the heart and it's easy to see he is having genuinely fun in some songs and that there's real feeling in some other songs.

I don't see him having any more or less fun here than he did in a typical performance of Big Girl circa 2007. We can argue semantics about performances versus acting but it's pretty obvious that Mika is not living out his real life fantasy of humping big women in lingerie and cowboy boots so it's not exactly sincere regardless of what you want to call it. :naughty: And I seem to recall so many moaning about Ida even though they obviously have a deep and legitimate connection and he has no reason to invite her along except that he loves performing with her.

Just because we don't like these duets as much as some of his other performances doesn't mean he is faking it in the "bad" ones and not in the "good" ones.

I don't blame Ariana,how could I,when she is so cute! :mf_rosetinted:.

People going on about how cute Ariana is is no more ridiculous than the millions of comments that Mika is hot while he is making girls cry on a TV show. Judging by the posts on Mika's FB and tweets to him, 95% of his fans don't give a flying f*ck about what he sings, who he sings with or whether he is a good judge or not. They just want to see him on their TV, looking as hot as possible.

Thank you so much! (and sorry, I always forget to use the Search function of MFC before asking :blush-anim-cl:)

I want to listen to it now but I must keep it for tomorrow :aah:

good night to all, and thank you to everybody to always let me discover such great stuff about Mika :huglove:

People going on about how cute Ariana is is no more ridiculous than the millions of comments that Mika is hot while he is making girls cry on a TV show. Judging by the posts on Mika's FB and tweets to him, 95% of his fans don't give a flying f*ck about what he sings, who he sings with or whether he is a good judge or not. They just want to see him on their TV, looking as hot as possible.

Unfortunately you're right,that's why I gave up on reading his FB's comments a long time ago......but wait,do you mean you watched XF? :shocked:

I don't see him having any more or less fun here than he did in a typical performance of Big Girl circa 2007. We can argue semantics about performances versus acting but it's pretty obvious that Mika is not living out his real life fantasy of humping big women in lingerie and cowboy boots so it's not exactly sincere regardless of what you want to call it. :naughty: And I seem to recall so many moaning about Ida even though they obviously have a deep and legitimate connection and he has no reason to invite her along except that he loves performing with her.

I didn't mean he needs to be literally living out his real life fantasies. But I think the energy and joy in his songs can be very real and genuine depending on his mood. And I don't think it's always easy, sometimes he needs work for his mood or warm up the audience.

I really like watching him with Ida :wub2: I hope we will see her again.

Overall this performance is much better than the Jay Leno one in my opinion. Although I liked the setting at Jay Leno more. But the sound this time is much better, you can hear their voices clearly, and they are harmonizing better this time. And how I perceive a performance really depends if I "get" something from the voice(s). So I like this one more :thumb_yello:

I don't think he is acting at his shows, except when he is doing his little "plays" like shooting or joking with Max etc and even those moments he is often improvising. I rather call it performing and it can be very sincere. It's a planned performance and he has his routines, of course. He might even have same little chats in several shows but it always depends on what kind of contact he has with the audience/what's his mood and if he is feeling good he talks directly from the heart and it's easy to see he is having genuinely fun in some songs and that there's real feeling in some other songs.

:thumb_yello:

Maybe it's just the definition of acting, but one thing that I like about Mika so much is that his performances feel true to me. I mean, of course he isn't in a real break up when he sings HE, so it's acted if you look at it like that. But still it feels true when he sings it live. I don't have that perception with a lot of singers. A friend of mine (not even fan, only Mika-positive) once said that he is "living his songs on stage" and I think it was a very good description. I also like the word "performing" that tiibet used.

Unfortunately you're right,that's why I gave up on reading his FB's comments a long time ago......but wait,do you mean you watched XF? :shocked:

No I am talking about the willy willy nonsense. Do you mean to tell me that the most amazing and sensitive judge that has ever judged a talent show in the history of all talent shows anywhere in the world is making girls cry on every episode? :lmao:

And I don't think it's always easy, sometimes he needs work for his mood or warm up the audience.

Having to work at it is what I call acting. There's nothing wrong with it, it is a necessity in his job and is pretty much unavoidable on a TV show when he can't control the circumstances and there is the pressure of millions of people seeing it.

I agree with Der Moment that his songs feel true in the sense that they are his creations and his performances are exceptional. I really don't get all the fuss over Origin of Love because I think it has several flaws, it's not a good vehicle to show off his voice. It's not his worst song but far from his best IMO. But he obviously loves the song and manages to sell it to me at every gig because his performances are so joyful.