US Dancing with the Stars - October 21, 2013

dcdeb

No I am talking about the willy willy nonsense. Do you mean to tell me that the most amazing and sensitive judge that has ever judged a talent show in the history of all talent shows anywhere in the world is making girls cry on every episode? :lmao:

No,those girls wasn't crying because of him,but because they got 3 NO from the other judges and got off from the show,if you watch the entire video,you'll see.And yes,there was more girls crying,and boys,it's normal when they have to leave the contest,I think :dunno:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I am talking about the willy willy nonsense. Do you mean to tell me that the most amazing and sensitive judge that has ever judged a talent show in the history of all talent shows anywhere in the world is making girls cry on every episode? :lmao:

Are you referring to his work as a judge and comments about it in general here or to comments to the Willy-video?

And yes,there was more girls crying,and boys,it's normal when they have to leave the contest,I think :dunno:

Right, which is why I don't understand why anyone with his history would want to be involved in crushing other singers' dreams, especially in public which guarantees unnecessary humiliation on top of the natural disappointment of rejection, but let's not go down that road again. :aah:

Are you referring to his work as a judge and comments about it in general here or to comments to the Willy-video?

I am talking about all comments made about everything. They could post on Mika's FB that he was arrested for murdering babies and as long as it was accompanied by a gorgeous photograph it would have 25,000 likes and 1,000 barely intelligible comments underneath it about how hot he is, etc.

I didn't like that hair style, I prefer the one from Radio Deejay, it reminded me the Mika of 2009 and also loved that Mika with straight and short hair in Paul de Leeuw shows or track by track vids :wub2:

I completely agree with you!!!. In Radio Deejay.. : Wub2:: Wub2:: Wub2:: Wub2:

Having to work at it is what I call acting. There's nothing wrong with it, it is a necessity in his job and is pretty much unavoidable on a TV show when he can't control the circumstances and there is the pressure of millions of people seeing it.

Yes, I guess that's what makes TV shows always so different from any other performance. Artists don't have usual control over their performance and like in this case there's also another artist on stage. He is very professional and does it always well though. I always look forward to every TV performance and never feel nervous for him, just excited. Sometimes it can be even incredibly relaxed (but it's meant for a TV audience and I try to see how it looks to someone who doesn't know his music yet).

"Working" I mentioned (from live situations) is often needed during only a couple of songs and after getting a good reaction from the audience his joy is real and there's no need for that kind of "acting" any more. It's amazing that artists can do it. I wouldn't go to see several concerts in row if he couldn't. I want to see it's different and real every time, reflecting the audience and situation and not just an act even it's planned in advance.

ALL of his live shows are acting to an extent not just until he finds joy but just because Mika The Performer is a completely different person from Mika the Person. You can twist that however you want but it is a fact.

Also he likes Ariana and enjoys performing with her so he is not acting any more than he usually is, he is just more aware of the cameras.

And (before I say this, for all sensitive people, I'm not talking about anyone in particular) I'm very sad to see what this fandom has become. Only few intelligent new fans seem to have joined (like Alireine) for the most part it is just about how hot Mika is and how sexy and he could take a dump live on Xfactor and it would still be amazing! Ariana is stupid. Ida is stupid. Omg someone dared to change his hair? Lezzzz kill him!

I read embarrassing things on twitter, girls talking about which position Mika has during sex etc.

No. I prefer the early days.

I can't quote just wanted to agree with you Ingie. Of course "stage Mika" is totally different than his private person. I still think he can be genuine on stage, meaning show genuine feelings and sing from the heart.

I must admit I don't much read his Twitter timeline or FB comments and even on mfc only news threads (I really don't have time for much more) so I can't say how his new fans are like except the ones I've met in RL or talked on Twitter like Alireine and Teresa (hi girls :bye:) but this is how we make it, imo, so we need to welcome new fans, I'm sure there are more smart people who want to discuss and share their opinions but are maybe too shy or wait getting to know people better? And I guess some people will always just think how hot he is (maybe it's still a reason to buy his music) :doh:

Right, which is why I don't understand why anyone with his history would want to be involved in crushing other singers' dreams, especially in public which guarantees unnecessary humiliation on top of the natural disappointment of rejection, but let's not go down that road again. :aah:

If you can call those girls "singers",then we have a totally different opinion about what a singer means :dunno: There were 60.000 of people at the auditions,but that doesn't mean they were singers.Let's be realistic,not anyone singing in the shower is a singer,it takes more than that :aah: But you're right,I'm off topic again,sorry,I'm done :blush-anim-cl:

I see Popular Song, the video, and the duets with Ariana as a means to an end. It's not the best song Mika has ever composed, but it's a way in to a wider audience.

Once they know about Mika they can look him up, then they'll see what a great singer/songwriter he is.

At the moment what he's doing with Ariana is fine, and he seems happy, that's the main thing. I actually really like Ariana and it's all getting his name out there. That's my opinion anyway.

I see Popular Song, the video, and the duets with Ariana as a means to an end.

Agreed. And it seems to be having the desired effect, however gradually. Popular Song is back in the US iTunes Top Songs chart -- just barely (it's at #200!), but it's back. It had dropped out of the top chart altogether for several weeks there. It's also still on the Pop chart, holding steady at #70 and #119. I think in a way it's a shame that there's two versions of the song floating around out there for people to buy, since that seems like it dilutes the sales figures. (#70 is the single that Mika released with Ariana, #119 is the same version of the song, but from Ariana's album). If they combined those sales numbers I'm sure the single would be much higher on the charts.

I can't quote just wanted to agree with you Ingie. Of course "stage Mika" is totally different than his private person. I still think he can be genuine on stage, meaning show genuine feelings and sing from the heart.

I must admit I don't much read his Twitter timeline or FB comments and even on mfc only news threads (I really don't have time for much more) so I can't say how his new fans are like except the ones I've met in RL or talked on Twitter like Alireine and Teresa (hi girls :bye:) but this is how we make it, imo, so we need to welcome new fans, I'm sure there are more smart people who want to discuss and share their opinions but are maybe too shy or wait getting to know people better? And I guess some people will always just think how hot he is (maybe it's still a reason to buy his music) :doh:

I wish these people would join.

ALL of his live shows are acting to an extent not just until he finds joy but just because Mika The Performer is a completely different person from Mika the Person.

This is the bottom line and all this talk about the semantics of "acting", "performing", "sincerity", etc. is besides the point. I tend to forget this over time because you start to see Mika on stage through the lens of all the offstage moments you've witnessed, the same way you know what your boss or family member is really like even if you're around "outsiders" so they are behaving differently. But I remember in the early days it was a really stark contrast for me and I almost didn't want to meet Mika because it sort of spoiled the image for me. He was a superstar on stage and then suddenly he'd appear in an alley like a little boy with his backpack and his mother in tow. He was just a completely different person and it was like seeing an actor on a TV show where you have fallen in love with their character. Even though the actor is the physical embodiment of the character it's just an illusion and you are reminded that this character does not actually exist outside of the TV show (or off the stage). After all these years of also seeing the "real" Mika I barely think about it anymore but really nothing has changed as far as Mika switching it "on" when he goes on stage.

I'm sure there are more smart people who want to discuss and share their opinions but are maybe too shy or wait getting to know people better? And I guess some people will always just think how hot he is (maybe it's still a reason to buy his music) :doh:

I have no doubt that there are plenty of smart people out there who like Mika but I can't imagine many of them are going to want to join this online culture when they see all the mindless hysteria happening on FB and Twitter. The majority do not even attempt to speak English anymore.

If you can call those girls "singers",then we have a totally different opinion about what a singer means :dunno:

Okay let's call them human beings then. Human beings who have dreams and feelings and are going to be hurt and humilated when their dreams are crushed in front of 2 million people. And the fact that they know the risks before they appear on TV or are perhaps so lacking in talent that they should never consider taking such a risk does not make it acceptable. It does not make it acceptable for these shows and the people who participate in their production (like Mika) to orchestrate this hurt and humiliation to entertain a TV audience and therefore make money. The arguments in defense of this are both absurd and contradictory - Italian X Factor is different, the participants know what they are getting into so they deserve what they get. If X Factor was different and was not the kind of show that profited off of exploiting people then these auditions that cause people to cry would not be aired on television. If Italian X Factor was different people with no talent who are guaranteed rejection would not be put on television or even put through to the judges to be rejected by them at all. It is the very concept of the show that is exploitative and upsetting and humiliating. And Mika being cute and charming and maybe eventually helping a small handful of the contestants who weren't rejected succeed does not excuse the process. It doesn't excuse the commercial greed that mtoivates it.

Agreed. And it seems to be having the desired effect, however gradually. Popular Song is back in the US iTunes Top Songs chart -- just barely (it's at #200!), but it's back. It had dropped out of the top chart altogether for several weeks there. It's also still on the Pop chart, holding steady at #70 and #119. I think in a way it's a shame that there's two versions of the song floating around out there for people to buy, since that seems like it dilutes the sales figures. (#70 is the single that Mika released with Ariana, #119 is the same version of the song, but from Ariana's album). If they combined those sales numbers I'm sure the single would be much higher on the charts.

But what does an iTunes chart mean really? When you get down into the place of #200 how many units are actually being sold? Is it of any significance to anyone (aside from Mika who receives royalties)? There are songs in that range that are 3 years old so I would think it's really only the songs closer to the top 50 or so that are selling more than a nominal number of units. When it comes to the real charts ie Billboard, the numbers are not based on just what people are downloading on iTunes.

Okay let's call them human beings then. Human beings who have dreams and feelings and are going to be hurt and humilated when their dreams are crushed in front of 2 million people. And the fact that they know the risks before they appear on TV or are perhaps so lacking in talent that they should never consider taking such a risk does not make it acceptable. It does not make it acceptable for these shows and the people who participate in their production (like Mika) to orchestrate this hurt and humiliation to entertain a TV audience and therefore make money. The arguments in defense of this are both absurd and contradictory - Italian X Factor is different, the participants know what they are getting into so they deserve what they get. If X Factor was different and was not the kind of show that profited off of exploiting people then these auditions that cause people to cry would not be aired on television. If Italian X Factor was different people with no talent who are guaranteed rejection would not be put on television or even put through to the judges to be rejected by them at all. It is the very concept of the show that is exploitative and upsetting and humiliating. And Mika being cute and charming and maybe eventually helping a small handful of the contestants who weren't rejected succeed does not excuse the process. It doesn't excuse the commercial greed that mtoivates it.

I think everyone has the right at his/her own opinion,I respect that,and I don't see the point of going on with those discussions.I know you're against XF before it started,and you don't want to watch it,that's fine,I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.I just want to follow this show further without having the feeling that I'm doing something illegal,that's all :dunno:

I think everyone has the right at his/her own opinion,I respect that,and I don't see the point of going on with those discussions.

Then don't continue it. Quoting someone and telling them they are wrong and why is not putting an end to the discussion. Adding the disclaimer of "but I don't want to talk about this anymore" doesn't absolve you from continuing the discussion. It's kind of like saying "You're ugly. No offense, just saying." As if the disclaimer makes it not offensive. :naughty:

This isn't the X Factor thread. I am not here to ruin the X Factor experience for anyone. But if you want to quote me and discuss X Factor with me then you're going to hear my opinions about it. I'm sorry if my opinions make you feel like watching X Factor is illegal but they are what they are. :dunno:

My opinion-

I loved it! His suit was amazing and Mika was perfection as always.. ♥ I loved the darker touch they did with the outfits, I think it may have something to do with Halloween... ^^ Anyway - loved it, and I totally take back the whole "Ariana's is stealing Mika's thunder", that amount of exposure is really good for him - with or without Ariana.

Thank you for the mention Nina! :)

I have to agree with you, speaking from my personal experience: I have been for quite a while a so called 'silent' fan, meaning that I was as interested and into Mika and his music as I am now, but I wasn't part of the MFC, I was just reading it as a guest, and I also didn't follow the conversations on Facebook or Twitter, that I didn't even have.

This because by nature I tend to be afraid of 'social communities', because, as far as I am concerned, it is basically a virtual communication, and I was afraid I would feel out of place and I wouldn't be able to express my ideas. But after reading a lot of threads in the MFC I eventually decided to take a risk and join it, because I was honestly surprised by the general atmosphere, a light and funny, of course, but also-when needed- deep and thoughtful atmosphere and perspective on things. And I honestly am very glad I joined it. Even if I didn't always agree, or even strongly disagreed, for example with Christine, I always felt like I wasn't wasting my time, that I was expressing my ideas in a thoughtful way and confronting them with other thoughtful points of view, even if different from mine; so I considered it a positive thing that I enjoyed doing.

On the other hand, I never commented a Facebook post on Mika's page, for the reasons you all explained: the comments are generally superficial and rather stupid, and answering them feels to me like a waste of time. I am not judging them, I'm just saying that personally I feel more comfortable maybe arguing with intelligence on the MFC rather than write inarticulate comments about how hot Mika is.

Having said that, I think that it's everyone's choice to be the fan they want to be. I no longer get irritated at stupid twitter or fb comments, because basically I don't care about them, and I don't like generalizing a 'fandom': I think a 'fandom', whatever it is, is made of different people. And let's not forget that the bigger the fandom, the bigger the percentual of hysterical fans.

We are experiencing this with the massive increase of popularity Mika's getting in Italy: out of 10 people who discover him, 9 will just stop at his cute smile and his willywilly laughing, and only one will become really interested in him and his music. In the same way, if for example this duet with Ariana made him really really big in the USA, the same thing would happen, because it is strictly linked to popularity. There would certainly be new fans who would appreciate him as we do but also a lot of other people, especially very young girls, who would become 'hysterical' fans, as you call them. You can see that on twitter, it is already happening.

That's sad, but very natural imo, and it certainly has nothing to do with the artist himself. I mean, I am a huge Queen fan, but if on one hand some Queen fans are honestly some of the most intelligent people I've ever met, if you go on Facebook you will find thousands of 'people' considering them great fans (they probably only know We Are The Champions...), who for example insult other artists, or don't want to accept Freddie's homosexuality (I mean, really...) or even wish other young artists were dead. I am saddened by these people, but I don't care anymore. Being a Queen fan doesn't mean I share these stupid ideas, it just means that I love Queen and their music. And the fact that there are some stupid Queen fans doesn't make Queen or their 'intelligent' fans less in my eyes.

In the same way, I am sorry that hysterical Mika fans are increasing, but I try to see the bright side and be happy that that one person out of 10 is discovering what a great person and artist he is, because that one person will probably stick around, while the other 9, who are now calling Mika their 'idol' or stuff like that, will forget him as soon as they find another one.

But that's how it works and has always worked, and all in all, considering other 'fandoms', Mika should be happy because he has found a good balance imo, he manages to be pretty 'popular' and yet to have his 'real' fans who maybe don't always agree with his choices but, maybe through not always agreeing, prove themselves as clever people and fans who really and deeply care about him and his music.

Thanks for reading, as usual I've written too much, but I wanted to share my experience and perspective with you all! :)

I have to agree with you, speaking from my personal experience: I have been for quite a while a so called 'silent' fan, meaning that I was as interested and into Mika and his music as I am now, but I wasn't part of the MFC, I was just reading it as a guest, and I also didn't follow the conversations on Facebook or Twitter, that I didn't even have.

This because by nature I tend to be afraid of 'social communities', because, as far as I am concerned, it is basically a virtual communication, and I was afraid I would feel out of place and I wouldn't be able to express my ideas. But after reading a lot of threads in the MFC I eventually decided to take a risk and join it, because I was honestly surprised by the general atmosphere, a light and funny, of course, but also-when needed- deep and thoughtful atmosphere and perspective on things. And I honestly am very glad I joined it. Even if I didn't always agree, or even strongly disagreed, for example with Christine, I always felt like I wasn't wasting my time, that I was expressing my ideas in a thoughtful way and confronting them with other thoughtful points of view, even if different from mine; so I considered it a positive thing that I enjoyed doing.

On the other hand, I never commented a Facebook post on Mika's page, for the reasons you all explained: the comments are generally superficial and rather stupid, and answering them feels to me like a waste of time. I am not judging them, I'm just saying that personally I feel more comfortable maybe arguing with intelligence on the MFC rather than write inarticulate comments about how hot Mika is.

Having said that, I think that it's everyone's choice to be the fan they want to be. I no longer get irritated at stupid twitter or fb comments, because basically I don't care about them, and I don't like generalizing a 'fandom': I think a 'fandom', whatever it is, is made of different people. And let's not forget that the bigger the fandom, the bigger the percentual of hysterical fans.

We are experiencing this with the massive increase of popularity Mika's getting in Italy: out of 10 people who discover him, 9 will just stop at his cute smile and his willywilly laughing, and only one will become really interested in him and his music. In the same way, if for example this duet with Ariana made him really really big in the USA, the same thing would happen, because it is strictly linked to popularity. There would certainly be new fans who would appreciate him as we do but also a lot of other people, especially very young girls, who would become 'hysterical' fans, as you call them. You can see that on twitter, it is already happening.

That's sad, but very natural imo, and it certainly has nothing to do with the artist himself. I mean, I am a huge Queen fan, but if on one hand some Queen fans are honestly some of the most intelligent people I've ever met, if you go on Facebook you will find thousands of 'people' considering them great fans (they probably only know We Are The Champions...), who for example insult other artists, or don't want to accept Freddie's homosexuality (I mean, really...) or even wish other young artists were dead. I am saddened by these people, but I don't care anymore. Being a Queen fan doesn't mean I share these stupid ideas, it just means that I love Queen and their music. And the fact that there are some stupid Queen fans doesn't make Queen or their 'intelligent' fans less in my eyes.

In the same way, I am sorry that hysterical Mika fans are increasing, but I try to see the bright side and be happy that that one person out of 10 is discovering what a great person and artist he is, because that one person will probably stick around, while the other 9, who are now calling Mika their 'idol' or stuff like that, will forget him as soon as they find another one.

But that's how it works and has always worked, and all in all, considering other 'fandoms', Mika should be happy because he has found a good balance imo, he manages to be pretty 'popular' and yet to have his 'real' fans who maybe don't always agree with his choices but, maybe through not always agreeing, prove themselves as clever people and fans who really and deeply care about him and his music.

Thanks for reading, as usual I've written too much, but I wanted to share my experience and perspective with you all! :)

I agree with all of this and also try to ignore the noise about the 'fandom'.. You pretty much summed up exactly the nature of the phenomenon :thumb_yello:

Wise words:thumb_yello:

I don't know if these problems are really Mika-related or just a result of changing internet culture.

I don’t follow other artists as closely as Mika, but I've the feeling that the level of FB-comments and Tweets isn't any higher for other artists (and more or less everything). So it may feel like it's getting more, but 5 years ago you hadn't Twitter and Facebook so of course this kind of commenting-culture didn't exist at all. So, maybe people thought and said it all the time, but now the whole world can read it.

And with Twitter there is maybe another problem: I think a lot of "light weighted" discussions are happening in Twitter now. For example if there is an interview or a TV appearance or a live stream a lot of people are only commenting at Twitter, followers answer to comments in Twitter. Therefore a lot of talking is happening on Twitter in some "circles" of people, not at MFC anymore.

This isn't meant as a blaming to anyone. It is just how it is these days, it's just easier to use Twitter, especially as nearly everybody has a Smartphone now and everyone is online at Twitter all the time.

But therefore these discussions are missing at MFC. If there is a discussion it's mostly a "strong" one (probably because the "strong" discussions are the ones with long posts, you can't lead them at Twitter). But it's not likely that you will comment in one of them, if you are new. You first need to get to know people and maybe it's harder "to get in" these days because it's just harder to start talking?

I don't know if it's really one reason, just a theory and observation.

Edited by DerMoment1608

I agree with you Theresa and of course I do not care if Mika has millions of hysterical fans in the world. I don't care who likes him and who doesn't or why. It doesn't have any impact on how I feel about Mika and as long as they are buying his records and gig tickets it's all good for him.

But it does bother me that this is dominating the online community because I used to enjoy the online community and now it's very difficult. Twitter used to be a way to communicate With Mika and his fans and now it's something to be avoided for the sake of one's sanity. Facebook should be a source of valuable information and a good promotion for Mika but it's just become a magnet for people who make me wonder how it is they can manage to get on the internet at all when they don't seem to understand anything that is going on. We used to try to help people but they do not understand the simplest of instructions even when they are repeated over and over.

I always got along with younglings on MFC. I've travelled with them, met their parents, etc. And if they like Mika because he's cute that's not an issue at all.

I guess ultimately it's just the nature of social media versus forums and there's nothing anyone can do about that. But still I look at comments on Twitter and FB for other British artists and it doesn't make me embarassed to be a fan. I can't relate to most of this online community at all anymore. It's very different at the gigs so I know it's not all Mika fans, but we're pretty isolated in North America and mostly connect with other fans on the internet so it's an unwelcome change for me.

Therefore a lot of talking is happening on Twitter in some "circles" of people, not at MFC anymore.

This isn't meant as a blaming to anyone. It is just how it is these days, it's just easier to use Twitter, especially as nearly everybody has a Smartphone now and everyone is online at Twitter all the time.

Yes you are right about that, which is fine. But I still don't understand why this weird cult/parallel community has sprung up on Twitter that is in an imaginary war of their own invention with MFC or why the people commenting on Mika's FB can't string 3 intelligible words together. I don't mind the commenting culture and have always enjoyed this kind of thing on YouTube. Even when the comments are outrageous and insulting I find it entertaining. This is something else...

I really enjoy reading your posts, you write so thoughtful and I agree with many things you say. Thank you :thumb_yello:

I completely agree with you and don't get me wrong, I am very happy when new fans join because that is only positive news. I also do not care who likes him for whatever reason, but I kind of feel ashamed when I read the comments on facebook and twitter. Most of what is said crosses the line of what is acceptable. And it aren't just teenagers. A lot of them are older women who should know better than to constantly post all day about how hot Mika is even though he could be their son. Maybe that is acceptable on the internet, but if I would go up to a random stranger and stalk him all day saying how hot and beautiful he is, I would probably get a restraining order. Just because it's done via social media does not make it any less creepy.

And yes, it's not just the Mika fandom. Every fandom has changed in the same way. The thing is, I don't have anything to do with those fandoms apart from the Katy Perry fandom, so I base my observations on this fandom and I just don't like what I see.

However, I encourage everyone who has more to say than MIKA is so hot AND BEAUTIFULLL to join the discussions as I enjoy reading different points of view.