Montreal - Travel Plans and Discussions

Treasa

well, yes, but it doesn't have the same feeling as seeing Montreal

One doesn't prevent from doing the other... But it's usefull information for someone who wants the option of not having to step outside at -20 celsius :thumb_yello:

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One doesn't prevent from doing the other... But it's usefull information for someone who wants the option of not having to step outside at -20 celsius :thumb_yello:

yes, they can go through the underground to avoid some of the cold... but at one point, they'll have to step outside

but whatever

Of course the only reason I went to NYC in January this year was to acclimatise myself for Montreal. :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks very much indeed for all the help and advice. It really is very helpful. :thumb_yello:

Of course the only reason I went to NYC in January this year was to acclimatise myself for Montreal. :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks very much indeed for all the help and advice. It really is very helpful. :thumb_yello:

NYC .... nothing like MTL :naughty:

are they water proof?

You can always add extra socks for warmth

Yes, they are like wellies on the bottom bit and are fur lined :thumb_yello: I bought them for the NYC trip and I have already had my monies worth as they were great so if they get ruined by the salt I won't mind.

Just had to edit that as it said willies not wellies :doh:

Yes, they are like wellies on the bottom bit and are fur lined :thumb_yello: I bought them for the NYC trip and I have already had my monies worth as they were great so if they get ruined by the salt I won't mind.

Just had to edit that as it said willies not wellies :doh:

my boots are suppose to be good to -40c .... i don't believe it:naughty:

my boots are suppose to be good to -40c .... i don't believe it:naughty:

Lets hope you don't have to put it to the test. :blink:

Mine are supposed to be the best selling boot in the US or something- I can't remember the name now and I have put them away now for the 'summer' - not that we usually get summer in Scotland. :wink2:

Lets hope you don't have to put it to the test. :blink:

Mine are supposed to be the best selling boot in the US or something- I can't remember the name now and I have put them away now for the 'summer' - not that we usually get summer in Scotland. :wink2:

These have been fashionable for the past few years and very practical.

sorel-winter-boots.jpg

Also thank heaven that these parkas are a big fashion too because we really need them. :aah:

emma-stone-Canada-Goose-fur-trimmed-Mystique-Parka.jpg

Some hotel suggestions:

http://www.montreal.hyatt.ca/fr/hote.../standard.html

This is the closest to the venue

Here's another one: http://www.courtyardmarriottmontreal.com

And another https://m.ihg.com/hotels/holidayinn/...eldetail/yulca

There's also a Travelodge in the same area http://www.travelodgemontrealcentre.com/

I also work in this area so I can answer many questions:thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello: Thanks a lot to you and the others MFCers - for being so nice, with info and good suggestions, and your offer for help - for the upcoming travel plans to Montreal ! It's much appreciated ...:huglove:

Love,love

me

sorel-winter-boots.jpg

Also thank heaven that these parkas are a big fashion too because we really need them. :aah:

Oh I feel a shopping spree coming on. :teehee:

:naughty: Yes, some surely needs to take a look into their closets before packing and leaving. I have quite similar clothes and shoes to these - because our winter is much like winter in Canada ...:wink2:

Love,love

me

:naughty: Yes, some surely needs to take a look into their closets before packing and leaving. I have quite similar clothes and shoes to these - because our winter is much like winter in Canada ...:wink2:

Love,love

me

Well I was thinking boots ... jumpers... parka .., and try to steal south Italy sun

while at first i was only seeing the things that would keep me from going, over the last week i found some possible solutions to the problems i was seeing, and right now i think i'll be able to make it to montreal. :biggrin2: got tickets for both shows, but before i make any travel bookings, i'll first wait to see what family life will be like, and whether it'd make more sense to go with or without my family. in any case i do have a plan now. :teehee:

if my plan works out, i want to fly to montreal via toronto, spend a few days there and visit the niagara falls. they are on my list of places to visit, in fact it's an old childhood dream of mine. don't ask me why i want to see some river falling down a cliff, i guess childhood dreams don't always have to make sense. :teehee: but while the thought of flying 10 hours for 2 mika gigs (well, 20 hours altogether :aah:) made me feel a bit uncomfortable, when i discovered that the niagara falls could easily be included in that trip, i got all excited. :excite: even if it might just be a lame excuse for flying 20 hours for mika. :naughty:

so, any tips how to best organize a day trip from toronto to the niagara falls? are there companies who offer complete day trips, or is it better/cheaper/easier to take a greyhound bus there? and how many sightseeing days do you think i should plan for a) toronto and b) montreal? i want to see a bit of the cities, but not too interested in museums and stuff like that. except maybe if there's something really special. what are the places to see in the 2 cities?

and it looks like the flight via toronto would be with air canada... never flewn with them, are they good?

i'd love to meet you all there, fingers crossed that it'll all work out! :crossed:

if my plan works out, i want to fly to montreal via toronto, spend a few days there and visit the niagara falls. they are on my list of places to visit, in fact it's an old childhood dream of mine. don't ask me why i want to see some river falling down a cliff, i guess childhood dreams don't always have to make sense. :teehee:

It is, actually, worth it. It is pretty spectacular and even though it is much more pleasant in warmer months if there is ice it also looks quite amazing.

so, any tips how to best organize a day trip from toronto to the niagara falls? are there companies who offer complete day trips, or is it better/cheaper/easier to take a greyhound bus there?

I actually took another MFCer on an organized bus trip last autumn because it seemed like the best option other than driving. I think it was about $70-80 each? It included a trip to a winery and a stop at Niagara-on-the-Lake which is a nice little touristy town with quaint shops and B&Bs. Then they dropped us off at Maid of the Mist which is a boat that goes right up to the falls so you can see them from the bottom. This was included in the price of the bus trip. Also included was a free wine tasting at the winery and pick up from your hotel. They picked us up in a car locally and then we waited at an office until everyone was gathered to board the bus.

My only problem with it is that it was very time consuming doing everything in a group and making all those stops. Personally I would want to spend at least 4 or 5 hours at Niagara Falls and in your case I would say for sure you should stay there overnight so you are not rushed. Hotels are cheaper than Toronto especially in the winter although if you are planning to be there around Valentine's Day that would be busier/more expensive.

I do not know if all these options would be available in the middle of winter but you should be able to find a bus to take you to the falls and back at minimum. The only thing is once you get to the falls there is a lot of walking required if you want to check out the whole area which is fine in the warmer weather, even with a baby, but could prove very difficult in the winter. There are some local buses but I would not want to be standing around waiting for a bus either. :aah:

Anyway I can help you out with logistics, just let me know.

and how many sightseeing days do you think i should plan for a) toronto and b) montreal? i want to see a bit of the cities, but not too interested in museums and stuff like that. except maybe if there's something really special. what are the places to see in the 2 cities?

Honestly at that time of year there is not much to do in Toronto except for the CN Tower. You want to go up there at dusk so you can see it in the daylight and at night. If it's a clear night you'll be able to see the lights going right around the lake to the US.

I always take people on a boat cruise of the harbour although obviously this is nicer in the summer and I think the lake was frozen this year so you can forget about that if we're having a polar vortex. :aah:

Queen Street West is great for boutique type of shopping, a bit like Camden Market style clothes and accessories. You might want to check out Chinatown if you like Asian food (we have about 5 in Toronto but the main one is in the west of downtown), Kensington Market, Dundas Square is a bit like Shibuya/Leicester Sq for the vibe and there is a huge tourist attraction of a shopping mall on one side. The Distillery District is really nice but it's a bit remote. There is ice skating at City Hall which is a popular landmark (maybe you'll get to see our crack mayor if he's re-elected :freak:)

Sadly most of the great things going on in Toronto are happening in the warmer months with festivals and patios and visits to the island and beaches and that kind of thing. It's not like London where you have lots of landmarks to visit. If Niagara Falls is your thing I would prioritize that over spending a lot of time in Toronto.

and it looks like the flight via toronto would be with air canada... never flewn with them, are they good?

Yes I mean no airline seems to be stellar these days but they are the national airline so it's a good carrier. It's comparable to British Airways and not like Ryan Air or something. :teehee:

Thank you everybody for the info!

I thought I had posted in this thread before but when I tried to last time my internet decided to stop working :sneaky2:. So here it goes, hope it will work this time.

sorel-winter-boots.jpg

I have sneakers and high healed boots...so you're saying that that's not enough? :shocked::naughty:

I think I might need to go shopping soon :teehee:

I found this about Maison Symphonique, there are nice pics:thumb_yello:

http://www.osm.ca/en/discover-osm/hall

wow nice pics and it looks huge!

Just a thought, do any of you know what it would be like to stay in the latin quarter? I saw somewhere that it was a shadier part of town but have otherwise heard that Montreal is a safe place.

My biggest concern was how to dress over there too... and stay cute :pinkbow:

It gets lowest 45 degrees over here in winter, so I'm in for a surprise.

I pretty much only wear spring dresses and flatform shoes. :doh:

Exactly. I have 9 months to find a pink adult sized fashionable snow coat. I've only found pink in child sizes....like WTF?

I still need to do research on what I might want to see while im over there. So far i've added just Cabaret Mado to my list.

Edited by BangBangLou

Well I was thinking boots ... jumpers... parka .., and try to steal south Italy sun

Yes please ... The sun is essential! :wink2:

I have sneakers and high healed boots...so you're saying that that's not enough? :shocked::naughty:

:naughty:

I found this about Maison Symphonique, there are nice pics:thumb_yello:

http://www.osm.ca/en/discover-osm/hall

Thank you - it looks amazing!! :thumb_yello: Imagine MIKA on stage there, with the Symphonique Orchestre - awww, I suppose it will be like Phil Spectors "the wall of sound" - and it gives me goosebumps, just by thinking about it ...:fisch:

Love,love

me