Montreal - Travel Plans and Discussions

Treasa

Karin .... I did a day trip to Niagara once, although from NYC, and just had a few hours there. If it's ones only chance it is certainly better than not going at all. But it was April and the Maid of the Mist wasn't operating even at that time. But otherwise it was all fully open, including the bit where you can walk right behind the falls and look through viewing windows. But as Christine said, it might be worth checking accessibility with a baby and I would think you would probably be best off with a sling or some other form of baby carrier.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My biggest concern was how to dress over there too... and stay cute :pinkbow:

It gets lowest 45 degrees over here in winter, so I'm in for a surprise.

I pretty much only wear spring dresses and flatform shoes. :doh:

Exactly. I have 9 months to find a pink adult sized fashionable snow coat. I've only found pink in child sizes....like WTF?

I still need to do research on what I might want to see while im over there. So far i've added just Cabaret Mado to my list.

My winter coat is bright pink. It's Helly Hansen and I bought it a few months ago!

Thank you everybody for the info!

I thought I had posted in this thread before but when I tried to last time my internet decided to stop working :sneaky2:. So here it goes, hope it will work this time.

I have sneakers and high healed boots...so you're saying that that's not enough? :shocked::naughty:

I think I might need to go shopping soon :teehee:

wow nice pics and it looks huge!

Just a thought, do any of you know what it would be like to stay in the latin quarter? I saw somewhere that it was a shadier part of town but have otherwise heard that Montreal is a safe place.

Sneakers and high heel boots can be fine if sidewalks are dry and you're not doing too much sightseeing. But winter boots are a must the minute snow is coming or the weather is very cold.

As for Quartier Latin, it is more animated (lots of homeless and prostitutes) you'll find accomodation that are not really recommandable, but otherwise it could be interesting.

Thank you - it looks amazing!! :thumb_yello: Imagine MIKA on stage there, with the Symphonique Orchestre - awww, I suppose it will be like Phil Spectors "the wall of sound" - and it gives me goosebumps, just by thinking about it ...:fisch:

Love,love

me

The first time I went there, my immediate thought was "Imagine Mika on that stage", so I've been pinching myself ever since:naughty:

Exactly. I have 9 months to find a pink adult sized fashionable snow coat. I've only found pink in child sizes....like WTF?

I still need to do research on what I might want to see while im over there. So far i've added just Cabaret Mado to my list.

My son went to his best friend's birthday party there & they had a blast !

What do you like? Museums ? Food? Shopping?

thanks christine for the tips, that's all relly useful! :flowers2:

Karin .... I did a day trip to Niagara once, although from NYC, and just had a few hours there. If it's ones only chance it is certainly better than not going at all. But it was April and the Maid of the Mist wasn't operating even at that time. But otherwise it was all fully open, including the bit where you can walk right behind the falls and look through viewing windows. But as Christine said, it might be worth checking accessibility with a baby and I would think you would probably be best off with a sling or some other form of baby carrier.

yes, if i'm bringing the baby, a baby sling will definitely be the transport method of choice. :wink2: i know that the maid of the mist isn't operating in the winter months, but tbh i'm not a huge fan of boats anyway, i get seasick even on a lake. :aah:

anyway, it's very good to know that i should plan more than a few hours for the falls... and a wine tasting sounds good to my ears as well! :biggrin2:

as for the general clothing, it seems like a good idea to bring my skiing outfit, and many, many layers. :teehee: at least i've already tried that at minus 20 degrees on a mountain, in icy wind, and it has kept me warm. just my nose nearly froze off. :mf_rosetinted: i have good thermo boots as well, not really stylish, but warm and comfortable. just as a gig outfit i'll have to find something a bit more fashionable, and warm at the same time. or get changed at the venue. :bleh:

My son went to his best friend's birthday party there & they had a blast !

What do you like? Museums ? Food? Shopping?

Cool, it's definitely going to be on my list of things to do.:thumb_yello:

Oh gosh. I don't even know. I want to see some thing's that are distinctly Montreal, that I can only get in that city...that are still exciting. Im not the type to admire old architecture. :aah: haha Unique shopping and food is always good. I am a pastry cook so like a must go to bakery/dessert location would totally be my thing!

...just as a gig outfit i'll have to find something a bit more fashionable, and warm at the same time. or get changed at the venue. :bleh:

Haha I was thinking about that as an option. :bleh:

AWWW!!! This thread was a great idea, I didn't think I would learn to much seeing as I live in Toronto so the weather and such are pretty much the same but I have learned quite a few things that are helpful even just. I cant wait to get a chance to visit Montreal Ive never been and its super exciting, I was really nervous since I barely know any French but a friend of mine said she has been there before and said people were really understanding and almost everyone could transition right into English once they realized you were English speaking. SO EXCITED!!!! The only thing Im not sure of is dress code....I feel like regardless of what I wear I'll be under dressed T.T.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I assume it's required that you go there dressed a bit fancy but I think that'll be hard unless you'll be freezing!

but I'm used to just going out dressed however i like here, just throw on a coat and it's fine :teehee:

Sneakers and high heel boots can be fine if sidewalks are dry and you're not doing too much sightseeing. But winter boots are a must the minute snow is coming or the weather is very cold.

As for Quartier Latin, it is more animated (lots of homeless and prostitutes) you'll find accomodation that are not really recommandable, but otherwise it could be interesting.

Ok, thank you. :thumb_yello: I think I will look for something else then.

I wouldn't worry too much about dressing up if it's not your thing. I have no qualms about going to the symphony or opera in jeans if I feel like it. :teehee:

Karin, here's the tour company I used for Niagara. Apparently they will substitute the Behind the Falls tour for Maid of the Mist in the winter. And you can still go to the winery. Price is $59 + tax.

http://www.niagaratours.ca/

Just for everyone's info they add VAT ON TOP of any published prices you see. Not sure how much it is in Quebec but in Toronto it's 13%. Also you're expected to tip 15-20% at a restaurant (I will usually leave about 20% on the net price before taxes). Taxis you can get away with 10%.

I wouldn't worry too much about dressing up if it's not your thing. I have no qualms about going to the symphony or opera in jeans if I feel like it. :teehee:

Karin, here's the tour company I used for Niagara. Apparently they will substitute the Behind the Falls tour for Maid of the Mist in the winter. And you can still go to the winery. Price is $59 + tax.

http://www.niagaratours.ca/

Just for everyone's info they add VAT ON TOP of any published prices you see. Not sure how much it is in Quebec but in Toronto it's 13%. Also you're expected to tip 15-20% at a restaurant (I will usually leave about 20% on the net price before taxes). Taxis you can get away with 10%.

Think it's 15% in Quebec.

No one needs to worry about bringing a ball gown for the show:wink2:

My winter coat is bright pink. It's Helly Hansen and I bought it a few months ago!

:blush-anim-cl: How funny that you wear Helly Hansen! I have several clothes by HH. Helly Hansen was founded by a Norwegian, Helly Juell Hansen, back in 1877, and still has its main office in Oslo, even its now sold and international.

Btw, I still hope to see a pic of MIKA wearing something from the colorful and stylish "Moods of Norway" - but up now, nothing ...:teehee:

Love,love

me

• 4 weeks later...

Coming in on a very limited budget from the Seattle area, both nights, anyone willing/able to share expenses with this crazy Oldling?

Also - do MFCers get together for any mischief - er, M&G fun - of their own? I have a few ideas about it but because I'm newer around here, I will keep them to myself at present.

UPDATE: My layover will likely be in Chicago, according to booking agencies, so willing/able to meet up with anyone connecting into Montreal, once I have the flight arranged and all that.

Edited by Kezza

Coming in on a very limited budget from the Seattle area, both nights, anyone willing/able to share expenses with this crazy Oldling?

Also - do MFCers get together for any mischief - er, M&G fun - of their own? I have a few ideas about it but because I'm newer around here, I will keep them to myself at present.

How long will you spend in Montreal Kez?

I hope we will have an meetup possibly the night before the first gig?? Dinner maybe one of the evenings before a gig? But we've lots of time to plan that. :thumb_yello:

I hope we will have an meetup possibly the night before the first gig?? Dinner maybe one of the evenings before a gig? But we've lots of time to plan that. :thumb_yello:

I'm going to try to be there the morning of the show, if at all possible. Still working out details - fortunately I have lots of time to figure that out - and leave the morning after.

A meetup would be fab.

I have something to mention about the shows - something special I'm willing to do - but I'm still working out the details, so I'll say more as it evolves. Let's just say it has to do with my getting there AND my link in the sig line for now...

• 3 weeks later...

I will make the plan next month since I hope it will be quiter.. or I hope so

I have to choose London or Paris in Europe or NY as change since there is no direct fly to Quebec from Milano

:mf_rosetinted:

I have to choose London or Paris in Europe or NY as change since there is no direct fly to Quebec from Milano

I would recommend spending some time in New York but if you must go straight on to Montreal I would go via London or Paris and avoid the US. If you prefer to go via NY make sure that you do not have to switch airports to catch the connecting flight. That will be time consuming, cost extra money, force you to go through US immigration with your bags and recheck them, etc. - in other words a nightmare to deal with after flying all night.

I would recommend spending some time in New York but if you must go straight on to Montreal I would go via London or Paris and avoid the US. If you prefer to go via NY make sure that you do not have to switch airports to catch the connecting flight. That will be time consuming, cost extra money, force you to go through US immigration with your bags and recheck them, etc. - in other words a nightmare to deal with after flying all night.

Thank you :huglove:

Don't count on me for a possible meetup the night before the gig... I would be available for lunches or dinner before gigs though.. And since we don't have to be at the venue 2 hours before the show, I think we have plenty of time to chat and eat before all 3 shows.

Don't count on me for a possible meetup the night before the gig... I would be available for lunches or dinner before gigs though.. And since we don't have to be at the venue 2 hours before the show, I think we have plenty of time to chat and eat before all 3 shows.

:thumb_yello:

I think so too. I'm sure there's plenty more we could be doing in Montreal on that night. :wink2: