2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

https://vk.com/video232312753_456239065

I'm posting the link to this interview (posted in Asian thread) here because I think the answer starting from 7:50 is very relevant to the discussion here. I don't mean it's the ultimate justification for Mika's doing and we should stop the discussion because the Master has spoken. But I think it makes more clear why it's so important for him that people accept his foreign influences.    

I completely agree with him that having no expectiations can make you much happier. It's pretty impossible for us humans though so he very well might give up that expectation as well. (though it's quite sweet the way he says "trust me, I'll take you somewhere cool", it makes me very inclined to trust him a little bit longer).  

Anyway having some expectations and disappointments is part of the deal with life and makes things more active and interesting as well. You very well might go and sit happily on a mountain doing nothing for the rest of your life if you haven't got any expectiation of life and people.  

It's all about the balance as always :pinkbow:

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 4

https://vk.com/video232312753_456239065

I'm posting the link to this interview (posted in Asian thread) here because I think the answer starting from 7:50 is very relevant to the discussion here. I don't mean it's the ultimate justification for Mika's doing and we should stop the discussion because the Master has spoken. But I think it makes more clear why it's so important for him that people accept his foreign influences.    

I completely agree with him that having no expectiations can make you much happier. It's pretty impossible for us humans though so he very well might give up that expectation as well. (though it's quite sweet the way he says "trust me, I'll take you somewhere cool", it makes me very inclined to trust him a little bit longer).  

Anyway having some expectations and disappointments is part of the deal with life and makes things more active and interesting as well. You very well might go and sit happily on a mountain doing nothing for the rest of your life if you haven't got any expectiation of life and people.  

:thumb_yello: I agree - wise words from MIKA - and from you !  :yes:  Thanks to you, in the land of tulips - from me, in winter wonderland... :wub:  

Love, love

me

• Like 1

I am just telling you what is going on in the English speaking world because people have asked. It is pointless to discuss this without talking in generalities. The fact that there may be exceptions in some individuals' thinking doesn't change the reality of what is actually happening in the market and why. Look at the top songs or TV shows or films in the UK, US or Canada for the past 10 years and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. I don't really understand your implication that I am making decisions on behalf of others rather than just describing a reality I have no control over. I can take yours and Mika's advice and start consuming foreign language entertainment but the hundreds of millions of other English speakers are going to continue doing what they've always done.

Is it pointless? But I agree too many differentations and refinings make an argument unbearable and nondescript. So i won't argue against this. 

I don't implicate that. I'm just questioning if that's the reality.   

It is the same reason I do not bother with these talent shows. Sure there have been some incredibly great singers and performances to come out of these shows, but I know when they do they will find their way to me. There is no reason for me to sift through hundreds of hours of boring crap looking for that diamond. The cream always rises to the top and chances are it will end up on my local radio station or my Facebook feed.

Maybe there's no reason for you but I like watching people trying to be a diamond as well. I find it much more interesting to see people struggling and learning even if in the end they will never be a big artist. I get bored by watching all those diamonds (i.e.great and established singers having fabulous shows). For example Celine Dion. I'm sure she is a very good singer but she doesn't interest me half as much as what's going on (like the interaction with the coaches) in the following auditon that was broadcasted in the last episode.

https://vk.com/video232312753_456239065?z=video232312753_456239051%2Falbum232312753%2Fpl_232312753

Edited by Pascale

But I would like to say that maybe the most important thing to him is your understanding of him. If he is accepted as he is, and cheered by you in his hometown, that can be the biggest thing to him ever, I guess. Because you are privileged. You are his home base! This is unchangeable fact. (Think about the NZ fan!)

You made a very good summation and have expressed it very well so don't worry about your English. :)

Anyway having some expectations and disappointments is part of the deal with life and makes things more active and interesting as well. You very well might go and sit happily on a mountain doing nothing for the rest of your life if you haven't got any expectiation of life and people.

Mika's expectations that his audience will change their tastes to suit his whims are at least as demanding as his audience's expectations that he won't wander off in some direction they don't want to go. On the subject of trust...Mika should think about how much his exaggerations and obfuscations jeopardize that before he puts the onus of blind trust on his fans. We all gave him blind trust in the beginning and it's no longer there (for me) for a reason.

• Like 1

Mika's expectations that his audience will change their tastes to suit his whims are at least as demanding as his audience's expectations that he won't wander off in some direction they don't want to go. On the subject of trust...Mika should think about how much his exaggerations and obfuscations jeopardize that before he puts the onus of blind trust on his fans. We all gave him blind trust in the beginning and it's no longer there (for me) for a reason.

Yes exactly. that's why his disappointment is just as big as yours. He should listen to himself more often. ;)  

• Like 1

Yes exactly. that's why his disappointment is just as big as yours. He should listen to himself more often. ;)  

but remember: he is doing it for your own good. Your world would be so much nicer if you were open to more influcences. As opposed to your  egoistical reasons that he should make music that you like. :naughty:

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1

I don't implicate that. I'm just questioning if that's the reality.

Here are the box office grosses for foreign language films for the past 35 years.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?view=main&sort=gross&order=DESC&pagenum=1&id=foreign.htm

Avatar made more money than all 1800 of these films put together. Titanic made more money than all 1800 of these films put together. Star Wars made more money than all 1800 of these films put together.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

I don't think the foreign films have been adjusted for inflation so of course a movie made in 1980 is not going to make as much money as Avatar anyway and now people are watching streaming, etc. But I think this paints a pretty accurate picture of the disparity between people's interest in English films over foreign language films. I think I've seen maybe a dozen of these foreign films. I live in the most cosmopolitan city in North America, I have lived on 3 continents, I have travelled a bit. Two-thirds of Americans do not even have a passport. I am not representing some extreme anti-foreign entertainment opinion, if anything I have had far more exposure than the average person.

Here are the UK singles charts. I don't know every one of these songs but I doubt there is a foreign language song among them because there almost never is. I found one Swedish talent contest winner but...you guessed it, she sings in English because that's what you must do if you want to be successful in these lucrative English markets. If she released a Swedish single no one would buy it.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/

Maybe there's no reason for you but I like watching people trying to be a diamond as well. I find it much more interesting to see people struggling and learning even if in the end they will never be a big artist. I get bored by watching all those diamonds (i.e.great and established singers having fabulous shows). For example Celine Dion. I'm sure she is a very good singer but she doesn't interest me half as much as what's going on (like the interaction with the coaches) in the following auditon that was broadcasted in the last episode.

Yes I don't have any interest in Celine Dion. My point is that I have no motivation to go to Quebec to find her. If you like watching those shows great, but none of us have enough hours in the day to watch all these shows. Should I have watched whatever Swedish TV show that Zara Larsson was on? Or does it make more sense to just wait until she sings in English so she is #4 on the charts? How many of these shows can I watch if I don't even filter them by languages I can understand? Would anyone outside of France or Italy have seriously wasted their time on The Voice and X Factor if Mika wasn't a judge?

• Like 1

but remember: he is doing it for your own good. Your world would be so much nicer if you were open to more influcences. As opposed to your  egoistical reasons that he should make music that you like. :naughty:

Yes I have been so ungrateful, not appreciating the paternalistic wishes of a pop star to supplant my own tastes with his. And how narcissistic of me to want him to make the music that 6 million other people also bought.

• Like 2

Why is the discussion still happening? It's almost as if you believe by repeating your opinion but paraphrasing it differently every time will make a difference and change someone's mind? Please remember that I am neutral in this situation and I do not want to take anyone sides, but how can this be a debate if the same arguments are being made, and for what reason? I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings :( 

• Like 1

Why is the discussion still happening? It's almost as if you believe by repeating your opinion but paraphrasing it differently every time will make a difference and change someone's mind? Please remember that I am neutral in this situation and I do not want to take anyone sides, but how can this be a debate if the same arguments are being made, and for what reason? I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings :(

I don't know about the others but I keep writing because I like dicussions about Mika, fanhood, expectations and life in general a lot. And although there is a lot of repetition there's still enough new material or new ways of bringing the old arguments to keep me interested.

Second reason: I'm kind of addicted to being on the Internet lately, probably a way of escaping real life.   :shocked:

You didn't hurt my feelings but i'm afraid you may have started a new discussion. :wink2:. The best way to make us stop is not to answer at all.

• Like 1

I don't know about the others but I keep writing because I like dicussions about Mika, fanhood, expectations and life in general a lot. And although there is a lot of repetition there's still enough new material or new ways of bringing the old arguments to keep me interested.

Second reason: I'm kind of addicted to being on the Internet lately, probably a way of escaping real life.   :shocked:

You didn't hurt my feelings but i'm afraid you may have started a new discussion. :wink2:. The best way to make us stop is not to answer at all.

Thanks for your advice. I'll keep it in mind  :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

Here are the UK singles charts. I don't know every one of these songs but I doubt there is a foreign language song among them because there almost never is. I found one Swedish talent contest winner but...you guessed it, she sings in English because that's what you must do if you want to be successful in these lucrative English markets. If she released a Swedish single no one would buy it.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/

Lukas Graham (at no 1) are a Danish group, but singing in English, which I guess proves your point :naughty:

Would anyone outside of France or Italy have seriously wasted their time on The Voice and X Factor if Mika wasn't a judge?

Um, I became a fan after I saw Mika in The Voice. I am not French and I don't live in France. Just sayin' 8|

• Like 6

For the same reason people have been talking about Mika's butt for 125 pages - because they want to.

Lukas Graham (at no 1) are a Danish group, but singing in English, which I guess proves your point :naughty:

I thought it was some Scottish dude. Scandinavians are taking over the world!!!

Edited by Christine
  • Like 4

Oh, still on-going your conversation here.. wow.. looks like endless.... I can easily guess this may happen again before/after MIKA’s another UK gig soon……

I’m a newbie and not westerner. (Naturally, I have huge language barrier and my English is actually very very terrible…sorry for this in advance.) As a person who I think myself a little remote-from-this-issue, your (‘SOME’ British fans who are talking here, incl, Jemxx) saying gives me the following impression. (If these are not correct, blame me 50%..(lack of my understanding), But another 50% maybe goes to you, because it’s YOU to give that impression anyway… hahaha....Hope I can make it clear that I am not in the business of castigating people here, just want to know what happens now.)

->Mika is a British Pop musician (or just contemporary pop musician?) . He started his pop music career with that background and got the fame in UK first. And we British fans hope he can get much bigger position as a British pop star (like, Adele) here or in mainstream market (such as US).

-> Unfortunately, he now seems to be affected by other countries’ cultures(such as France, Italy, etc.) so much in his music, and it definitely does not work in UK market. I do not like some of that music, either. This is real situation. We are worrying…. If he really wants to sing those songs, he can do in those countries, but not in UK gig. We are British. He should sing only English songs (or more British style songs) here – not the songs in other languages. 'Mika, please listen what we want!'

-> Furthermore, he seems to abandon us, in order to expand his market in other countries. It’s obvious how he can have only 1 gig in UK in 3 years, while he was doing lots of gigs outside? And even he sang a French song here? 'Please Mika, Don’t forget where your music was born and consider the fan here more carefully'.

-> 'Mika, we are your fans who love you and support you. We spend our own money to see your gig, so we believe we can say to you what we want. Frankly speaking, we British fans are really worrying about your current position as a British pop musician. Your recent albums did not go well in UK. If you do better more here, you can be almost the 2nd Freddie Mercury, a great pop musician, not lounge singer… We are not your enemy, We are fans who give you a sincere advice, Mika, so please listen what we are saying…'

I think you guys had really good times with him at first, and hope to hold that experience continuously. You seem to have a strong image/wish to him to be a certain person… and forced him to do that, which cannot be successful even by his mom. (All she wants is another son - ‘a son with a wife and a big living room.') He may not be comfortable with this situation, as he gets identity mad??? (^^ ;) He may feel pressure and show some negative reactions, as it is related to his trauma??? (I don’t know…, just guessing...)

Mika is moving forward, whether you like that direction or not. But who knows? He can be a great musician through those international musical backgrounds? Also he can sing his songs with Orchestra, which other British pop stars cannot do.

Honestly, I fully understand that kind of ‘deep sense of loss (I may feel the exactly same thing, if it happens to me.)’, and believe your actions come from your deepest love to him.

But I would like to say that maybe the most important thing to him is your understanding of him. If he is accepted as he is, and cheered by you in his hometown, that can be the biggest thing to him ever, I guess. Because you are privileged. You are his home base! This is unchangeable fact. (Think about the NZ fan!)

(Hope my saying does make any disturbance and bother any of you… if it happens, I'll delete my post immediately...)

Just an observation Jeff Lynne has made a career of doing pop songs with an orchestra (ELO)  :)

• Like 2

Welcome to MFC that's what happens here  :naughty:

• Like 1

For the same reason people have been talking about Mika's butt for 125 pages - because they want to.

Good point. 

Welcome to MFC that's what happens here   :naughty:

:thumb_yello: I think I am now aware of that  :naughty:

Edited by KiwiMikaFreak
  • Like 1

I thought it was some Scottish dude. Scandinavians are taking over the world!!!

:naughty: Yes, and our Kygo and Aurora are among them... :teehee:  :fisch: 

Love, love

me 

:naughty: Yes, and our Kygo and Aurora are among them... :teehee:  :fisch: 

Love, love

me

Who is that? Are they part of the group? I listen to a lot of pop music playlists but don't pay much attention to the artists so I am out of the loop.

Who is that? Are they part of the group? I listen to a lot of pop music playlists but don't pay much attention to the artists so I am out of the loop.

:)  They are two young Norwegian artists, who both do extremely well right now :thumb_yello:   It's quite fun that both are from Bergen. Kygo is 24 y.o. he's playing electro house and pop. Started his USA tour "Cloud nine" in Jan.-16, did a great performance at Ellen show, then to NYC, San Francisco, Toronto :wink2: Chicago etc.  Totally 22 cities in US & Europe, sold out shows :fisch:  He'll perform at Heineken Hall, Amstedam 26 & 27.3. Aurora is 19 y.o. - she was a quest at Jimmy Fallon 2 days ago.  Katy Perry is a fan of her :)  You can google them, and watch a lot of stuff at youtube, if you're interested - they're both very clever, and seems to take the world by storm... :teehee:  :fisch: 

Love, love

me     

• Like 1

:)  They are two young Norwegian artists, who both do extremely well right now :thumb_yello:   It's quite fun that both are from Bergen. Kygo is 24 y.o. he's playing electro house and pop. Started his USA tour "Cloud nine" in Jan.-16, did a great performance at Ellen show, then to NYC, San Francisco, Toronto :wink2: Chicago etc.  Totally 22 cities in US & Europe, sold out shows :fisch:  He'll perform at Heineken Hall, Amstedam 26 & 27.3. Aurora is 19 y.o. - she was a quest at Jimmy Fallon 2 days ago.  Katy Perry is a fan of her :)  You can google them, and watch a lot of stuff at youtube, if you're interested - they're both very clever, and seems to take the world by storm... :teehee:  :fisch: 

Love, love

me

Okay thanks I definitely will. May have already heard them but don't recognize the names.

• Like 1

Okay thanks I definitely will. May have already heard them but don't recognize the names.

:thumb_yello: Yes, I think you'll recognize their music - great if you'll give them a good listen!  :wink2: It's the same for me, I "know" a lot of music, but don't pay too much attention to the persons behind it - if they're not as special as a certain "Beirut-boy", hehe ... :wub:  

Love, love

me

• Like 1

:thumb_yello: Yes, I think you'll recognize their music - great if you'll give them a good listen!  :wink2: It's the same for me, I "know" a lot of music, but don't pay too much attention to the persons behind it - if they're not as special as a certain "Beirut-boy", hehe ... :wub:  

Love, love

me

Oh yes I do know them, good stuff! I listen to the top 50 global songs on Spotify while I'm doing stuff around the house so I don't really know who sings what unless I recognize their voices or make an effort to look them up.

• Like 1