Hi folks, I'm new!

rusted.laurels

@EzPz_german_squeezy - Hi there! Nice to meet you! I appear to have summoned most of the active German members on here with my introduction, which is both extremely entertaining and absolutely lovely. I'm almost a little surprised that you're an entire five years younger than I am - how'd you end up here, if I may ask? Did you discover Mika after the initial Grace Kelly/Lollipop/Relax hype had already passed, or did you just have an impeccable taste in music as a small kid? Most people I know who are aware of Mika are at least my age, so I'm curious :D

@Siri and @Serendipity - thanks, you two!

And yes, Siri, I'm about as much of a terrible nerd as it gets (to the point where I analyse pop culture/mass media stuff for fun and wrote a BA thesis about vampires... although not the sparkly kind, I swear)

(also, guess what, I found the bra video Camilla was talking about - I may be new, but I'm also really into research, lol)

@mellody - pinging you for the Bra Thing, too, since you said you couldn't remember hearing about it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rusted.laurels said:

And yes, Siri, I'm about as much of a terrible nerd as it gets (to the point where I analyse pop culture/mass media stuff for fun and wrote a BA thesis about vampires... although not the sparkly kind, I swear)

Oh, that sounds cool and very interesting 🧐 you know, I'm from Italy and we have plenty of castles and I spent years visiting those, we have stories about spirits haunting ruins (this story scared me so much as a kid, I still have some trouble with that particular location)...so I find it very intriguing! I also was part of an historic rereenactment group back in time!

Sorry, I'm very good at digressing but you said vampires, I thought castles - middle age - novels...

I think you can call me nerd too, even if I don't consider myself much competent (?)

• Like 1

@rusted.laurels Well, of course I know MIKA from his early days, but back then I only heard him on the radio and didn't pay him any direct attention. I came across MIKA again in 2015, where I was sitting in English class and we listened to MIKA's song "Relax". After that I recognized him immediately and only at that time I found the song really cool again. Of course I researched more of him, because I was curious and I thought all the other songs of him were just great. What a coincidence that I came across MIKA again, where he released the album NPIH.😄

He's just an awesome man with an awsome voice. You can't miss someone like that.😆 So I'm a fan since 5 years and I still love his music and it's development.❤️
 How his songs have developed is so fantastic. When I listen to other singers, I often don't see any difference, especially when you listen to the current hits today. I constantly think that almost every song sounds the same. But MIKA tells us his own story and that's probably what makes it so unique.🥰

15 hours ago, EzPz_german_squeezy said:

@rusted.laurels Well, of course I know MIKA from his early days, but back then I only heard him on the radio and didn't pay him any direct attention. I came across MIKA again in 2015, where I was sitting in English class and we listened to MIKA's song "Relax". After that I recognized him immediately and only at that time I found the song really cool again. Of course I researched more of him, because I was curious and I thought all the other songs of him were just great. What a coincidence that I came across MIKA again, where he released the album NPIH.😄

He's just an awesome man with an awsome voice. You can't miss someone like that.😆 So I'm a fan since 5 years and I still love his music and it's development.❤️
 How his songs have developed is so fantastic. When I listen to other singers, I often don't see any difference, especially when you listen to the current hits today. I constantly think that almost every song sounds the same. But MIKA tells us his own story and that's probably what makes it so unique.🥰

you are so right that today most of the songs sound the same. Mika tells his story with his songs but in a way we all can find a part of ourselves in it and we can interprete them the way we need to feel better or understood.

59 minutes ago, Sabine64 said:

you are so right that today most of the songs sound the same. Mika tells his story with his songs but in a way we all can find a part of ourselves in it and we can interprete them the way we need to feel better or understood.

I totally agree with you and I sometimes have the feeling that some people can't get involved in anything new (the music industry shows this by playing songs that all sound the same. People just want to listen always the same). You can hear the difference between MIKA's music and the music of today's hottest artists. I personally prefer to listen to music that still has a personal reference to the artist, rather than just songs that are made to keep the ratings high. You notice which songs come from the heart and which do not. Furthermore MIKA helps me with his music through a difficult phase in my life. He gives me a lot of strength and hope with his lyrics and I am so grateful to him for making such great music.🙏❤️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh gosh, late reply here! This will probably become a running theme; I usually just flat-out forget to write down my replies, lol

@Siri

On 3/2/2020 at 12:03 AM, Siri said:

Oh, that sounds cool and very interesting 🧐 you know, I'm from Italy and we have plenty of castles and I spent years visiting those, we have stories about spirits haunting ruins (this story scared me so much as a kid, I still have some trouble with that particular location)...so I find it very intriguing! I also was part of an historic rereenactment group back in time!

Sorry, I'm very good at digressing but you said vampires, I thought castles - middle age - novels...

I think you can call me nerd too, even if I don't consider myself much competent (?)

Ha, I always loved ghost stories; always wanted to befriend the ghosts as a kid. They sounded lonely and sad.

And honestly? Italian medieval architecture is amazing, but the thing that impresses me most are the amazing books.

I spent five days in Milan with my university once, not only visiting every medieval church we could (And San Bernardino Alle Ossa on my own time because I'm a morbid weirdo and marveled at the opportunity to sketch human skulls from life for twenty minutes), but also working with actual medieval manuscripts at the Biblioteca Ambrosiana. I actually got to read books that were over 1300 years old which is amazing because it's one of the most direct links you can have to the people who wrote that stuff all those centuries ago, touching the same parchment they bound into something so beautiful - and we paid a visit to Sant'Ambrogio himself. I don't get to look the people who wrote the stuff I learn about in Medieval Studies in the face very often, so that was impressive.

(I could also nerd out about the Renaissance and Leonardo and history in general, but I won't because if I start, I'll never stop)

@EzPz_german_squeezy

On 3/2/2020 at 12:59 AM, EzPz_german_squeezy said:

Aw, you folks listened to way better songs in English class than we did. All we got was a terrible Atomic Kitten cover. 

And I agree, seeing his music grow and develop is such a unique experience, and it's super fun to hear. 

Thanks for sharing your story :D

@camille*

On 3/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, camille* said:

Gosh I felt like I was becoming a fan all over again just by reading it :wub:

Glad you joined us!  Enjoy :)

Ha, that's exactly the kind of feeling I'd like to evoke! Thanks for the kind welcome!

Edited by rusted.laurels
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...