2023 - Mika @ Cheltenham Jazz Festival, UK, 26 April

Mikasister

4 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Yes, it's true for the Philharmonie. But festivals are another matter (for pop concerts): I think all fans want to be in the front. I don't think it's too much to ask that the organisers should know that. :dunno_grin:

But people paying the membership can't be fans of each and any artist playing at all festivals they organize. 

Membership is to sponsor the organizers at the first place  - not necessarily to watch each show with a priority to get ONE ticket.. 

2 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

But people paying the membership can't be fans of each and any artist playing at all festivals they organize.

No, they aren't, this is true.

3 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Membership is to sponsor the organizers at the first place  - not necessarily to watch each show with a priority to get ONE ticket.. 

However, I assume that most of those who make a membership also want to get something out of it and are not just doing it to support the organisers. :dunno_grin:

Anyway, maybe they don't want to release all the tickets to members, so that people who can't afford a membership also have a chance to get a good seat. :dunno_grin:

I've emailed the box office asking for clarification, if the front rows are reserved for patrons, artist's guests etc, or if they'll be made available in the general sale instead. Will report back if I hear back from them! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a reply! There is a Patrons sale before the members sale.  

"We do go on sale to our Patrons before member on sale meaning that our ticketing system would have chosen the tickets nearest the front as the venues are set up to fill from the front.  You still have excellent seats in the stalls which offer great views of the stage."

Still worth checking, they might have cancelled seats to put back into the general sale. 

Edit: get me, I sound like a pro! Just realised it's still less than a year since I attended my first proper gig (New York - I don't count the Paris Philharmonie as a gig, that was in a class of its own). :naughty:

Edited by Hero
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hero said:

Had a reply!

:flowers2:

41 minutes ago, Hero said:

There is a Patrons sale before the members sale.  

Ah ok, that's this:

https://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/support-us/patrons

Ok, then the organisers are not so unreasonable. :teehee:If you have paid several thousand pounds, you are of course entitled to the best seats. :naughty:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prisca said:

:flowers2:

Ah ok, that's this:

https://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/support-us/patrons

Ok, then the organisers are not so unreasonable. :teehee:If you have paid several thousand pounds, you are of course entitled to the best seats. :naughty:

But 6 rows?! Well maybe they're keeping them so the patrons still have time to decide.

And/or maybe Mika told them to keep some frontrow seats for his fans in the general sale? :dunno_grin: Our membership experiences with the Philharmonie and the Royal Festival Hall really weren't the best, so it might be the same again here. We'll see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I haven't found what time the sale starts th 1st of March. 

At midnight? :wink2:

The sale for those with membership has started a week before the actual sale at 11.00 UK time. Perhaps the sale will also start at 11.00 UK time on 1 March? :dunno_grin:

Anyway, if you want to buy a ticket in advance, I can buy one for you (turns out I can only buy one ticket at a time with my membership, but that's as much as I want).

But @mellodymight be right: Maybe the patrons don't take all the tickets and better seats will be sold from 1 March. :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Prisca said:

The sale for those with membership has started a week before the actual sale at 11.00 UK time. Perhaps the sale will also start at 11.00 UK time on 1 March? :dunno_grin:

Anyway, if you want to buy a ticket in advance, I can buy one for you (turns out I can only buy one ticket at a time with my membership, but that's as much as I want).

But @mellodymight be right: Maybe the patrons don't take all the tickets and better seats will be sold from 1 March. :dunno_grin:

Thanks for your offer. But I will buy it by myself. Maybe I will need another one for my friend so we could have places next to each other. She did not decide yet.

11 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Thanks for your offer. But I will buy it by myself. Maybe I will need another one for my friend so we could have places next to each other. She did not decide yet.

Alright! :original:

• Like 1

Sadly they were right, all the front tickets already seem to have been sold to the Patrons (or are reserved for them... maybe they can decide until last minute?), the tickets they offered today started from row R (at least I didn't see any better tickets, but I was #32 in the queue so there might have been another row sold already). :tears: Maybe I'm just not supposed to see Mika already in April. :emot-sad:

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mellody said:

Sadly they were right, all the front tickets already seem to have been sold to the Patrons (or are reserved for them... maybe they can decide until last minute?), the tickets they offered today started from row R (at least I didn't see any better tickets, but I was #32 in the queue so there might have been another row sold already). :tears: Maybe I'm just not supposed to see Mika already in April. :emot-sad:

I can see that the places are really allocated randomly. Veery randomly.

I check from time to time and even now (one hour after the sale started) I get places in rows R or even L. But it's true - nothing closer.

I got the row S and I took it at the first try. I don't have to be in the front rows but it would be nicer to get a closer row. I don't think I will buy another ticket even if it will be in a row L. Unless Mika will keep some free places for us. :wink2: But I don't count on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I can see that the places are really allocated randomly. Veery randomly.

I check from time to time and even now (one hour after the sale started) I get places in rows R or even L. But it's true - nothing closer.

I got the row S and I took it at the first try. I don't have to be in the front rows but it would be nicer to get a closer row. I don't think I will buy another ticket even if it will be in a row L. Unless Mika will keep some free places for us. :wink2: But I don't count on it.

I think the row R tickets are coming back now from people who put them in their basket but didn't buy them. But I never saw row L. I'd probably buy 10 more tickets if I got a seat in the first 3 rows for it at some point, but as you say, this whole thing seems rather like a big lottery. :doh: I hate this membership (and 10 different membership types) kind of thing, you pay them for a *chance* to get better tickets, but nothing is guaranteed. Probably not even all patrons got seats in the front rows. Imo it'd be better if they offered the frontrow seats for 500€, 2nd row for 400, something like that, then you don't have to pay thousands to become a patron but everyone can just choose which row is worth which price to them.  Then patrons who aren't fans could buy tickets in the back, so there's more space in the front for fans who actually support Mika. Now the front rows might be full of people who think they'll be listening to some jazz music while chatting with their neighbours and having a drink. 🙄

• Like 1

I wonder if the seating plan from the past year is relevant for this year.

I've checked the Tiered places (the back circle) and it showed me block 4 place N-5. On the picture the last row is L. And blocks have letters not numbers.

image.png.e7db2b94e1e5ccf0cb028bce180bb0a4.png

image.thumb.png.7246e62fdaace69f5bb700ea05ca252b.png

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I wonder it the seating plan from the past year is relevant for this year.

I've checked the Tiered places (the back circle) and it showed me block 4 place N-5. On the picture the last row is L. And blocks have letters not numbers.

image.png.e7db2b94e1e5ccf0cb028bce180bb0a4.png

image.thumb.png.7246e62fdaace69f5bb700ea05ca252b.png

I think it's different this year. It's a tent, so they can change the setup every year. As you say, the blocks are numbered now instead of letters... and also I saw stalls tickets in row V, doesn't look like that existed in the old map either. Would be helpful to have at least a current seating plan, maybe they've added an aisle in the stalls, then those aisle tickets might be a better choice. 

I guess I just give up for today, eat some chocolate to feel better, and hope for better times. :dunno: (Mika could really help with that by posting a few nice things about where he is and what he's doing, lol! :teehee:)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hero said:

I emailed them, theyve sent a pdf view of this years seating for the Big Top. Itll be on the website shortly:

Screenshot_20230301-145055_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.75cffb2d83bc06ad7a7353250a85ede1.jpg

Thank you Andrea. It helps a lot.

I wonder why they didn't put it on the website earlier when the sale started.

It seems to be an old festival but the organisation and seats distribution doesn't look friendly to the audience.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hero said:

I emailed them, theyve sent a pdf view of this years seating for the Big Top. Itll be on the website shortly:

Screenshot_20230301-145055_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.75cffb2d83bc06ad7a7353250a85ede1.jpg

For example you can buy now a seat J-1 in the block 7 which is closer to the stage than my row S in the green part.

But when you order your ticket you don't know this because we can't see the plan.

• Like 1