2023 - Mika @ Cheltenham Jazz Festival, UK, 26 April

Mikasister

• mellody changed the title to 2023 - Mika @ Cheltenham Jazz Festival, UK, 26 April

I honestly thought Cheltenham was fairly close to where I am, but no, by train I'm looking at 4+ hours of travel and that's using 3 trains :(

It's not impossible but I don't think I could cope with that level of stress with all the train changes. It's actually easier for me to get to London compared to going to Cheltenham 🙃

I just wish train services in the North would have better connections.

• Sad 4

42 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I honestly thought Cheltenham was fairly close to where I am, but no, by train I'm looking at 4+ hours of travel and that's using 3 trains :(

It's not impossible but I don't think I could cope with that level of stress with all the train changes. It's actually easier for me to get to London compared to going to Cheltenham 🙃

Where I'm moving to in the south it's about 4 hours and 4 trains so I'm not sure 

I also don't really know anyone else there 

I've gone back to thinking about isle of wight as it's closer and I'll have saved by then 

It's just of there's still tickets and stuff when I get round to booking plus like most artists on main stage 

Havnt decided for sure but don't think Cheltenham will be for me 

• Like 1

I'd love to go to this, although it's during the week... but it's a day before my birthday and it looks really nice... anyway I'll have to wait a bit before I talk with my husband about whether he'd take care of the kids then, as I just bought tickets for 2 gigs in July yesterday. 😅 So I'm glad that the presale only starts in March. Maybe we'll get some more dates until then, so I can plan for the next few months and not have to bother my husband and my employer with new requests and changes every few days. 🙈  I suppose it'd be easier to reach from London than Isle of Wight, and the timing is better too, didn't expect to get the chance to see a Mika gig that soon. 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

That sucks.  It looks like I could get a train to Sheffield or to Leeds, then connect with one to Cheltenham Spa. Anywhere between 3.5 and 5 hours depending on route. Not too bad. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

For me, 3 hours travel, bus and two trains, but return fare would be £100+.  Plus due to the time he is appearing, I'd have to stay in a hotel overnight.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hero said:

That sucks.  It looks like I could get a train to Sheffield or to Leeds, then connect with one to Cheltenham Spa. Anywhere between 3.5 and 5 hours depending on route. Not too bad. 

I just don't think I could cope with up to 5 hours of travel with too many changes. There is a coach from Leeds that claims to take 4 and a half hours (one rest stop) buuuuuut I hate coaches! When it comes to travel I need to put my health first.

1 hour ago, silver said:

For me, 3 hours travel, bus and two trains, but return fare would be £100+.  Plus due to the time he is appearing, I'd have to stay in a hotel overnight.

Cost is another issue. I'd be looking at the same price for travel too and I can't imagine accommodation near the venue will be cheap. I can't justify spending so much just to go to Cheltenham. I'd rather wait and see (with hope and patience!) if Mika will do something closer to me and then it really will be worth it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I learnt short time ago that when you do a membership for 17.50 pounds you can already buy a ticket now (when the site is working, I've troubles buying a ticket at the moment :rolleyes:)

Membership | Cheltenham Festivals

The places are numbered, just that you know.

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I learnt short time ago that when you do a membership for 17.50 pounds you can already buy a ticket now (when the site is working, I've troubles buying a ticket at the moment :rolleyes:)

and what is the ticket price?

38 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Ok, only stalls are numbered I think. Anyway, if the "buy now" button is not working, you can click the wishlist and then go to the cart. There you can buy the tickets (if you have a membership). I could buy row G, maybe I'll wait and see if I can get a better place. :dunno_grin:Unfortunately, the place is selected automatically.

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Ok, only stalls are numbered I think. Anyway, if the "buy now" button is not working, you can click the wishlist and then go to the cart. There you can buy the tickets (if you have a membership). I could buy row G, maybe I'll wait and see if I can get a better place. :dunno_grin:Unfortunately, the place is selected automatically.

Sorry, I'm a bit rattled today (again). :insane:The news that tickets can be bought today was unexpected for me. All seats are numbered. :facepalm:

Edit: I bought the G ticket.

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 3

I heard from someone that the festival is selling the tickets from front to back on a first come first served basis, but hearing what seats people got yesterday, I'm not so sure that's true. I'm still not sure whether to go, I want to see Mika sooner than July, and in a place where he's speaking English, but it's expensive (flight) and not super easy to get there, and I'd have to travel on my birthday (the day after the gig) to spend at least the evening of my bday with my family. In theory that could be really nice, a wonderful Mika gig, being with my MFC friends, and then going home to celebrate with my family. But it's bothering me that fans can't seem to get places even near the front. I'm hoping the festival might save the good tickets for the general presale, at least I'll have a look next Wednesday... but if they don't, I might not be going. Not just because I don't like being in the back, but I like it even less if the places in the front are reserved for some VIP's or other people who might not really care about Mika at all. I could imagine MFC might get a few as a giveaway eventually, but not 6 rows in this small place, I'm sure they want to sell their tickets and not give them away for free. So well, I'm curious what tickets they'll be offering on March 1st. Mika wrote that the ticket sale will start on March 1st, so maybe that's the date for fans, and the festival members get the tickets more towards the back. :dunno_grin:

11 hours ago, mellody said:

I heard from someone that the festival is selling the tickets from front to back on a first come first served basis, but hearing what seats people got yesterday, I'm not so sure that's true. I'm still not sure whether to go, I want to see Mika sooner than July, and in a place where he's speaking English, but it's expensive (flight) and not super easy to get there, and I'd have to travel on my birthday (the day after the gig) to spend at least the evening of my bday with my family. In theory that could be really nice, a wonderful Mika gig, being with my MFC friends, and then going home to celebrate with my family. But it's bothering me that fans can't seem to get places even near the front. I'm hoping the festival might save the good tickets for the general presale, at least I'll have a look next Wednesday... but if they don't, I might not be going. Not just because I don't like being in the back, but I like it even less if the places in the front are reserved for some VIP's or other people who might not really care about Mika at all. I could imagine MFC might get a few as a giveaway eventually, but not 6 rows in this small place, I'm sure they want to sell their tickets and not give them away for free. So well, I'm curious what tickets they'll be offering on March 1st. Mika wrote that the ticket sale will start on March 1st, so maybe that's the date for fans, and the festival members get the tickets more towards the back. :dunno_grin:

I still don't know if I will go. I checked the flights and it looks like I should go for 4-5 days (flights of each possible flight company are not every day). So if I add hotels and transportation from London it will become a huge amount for one concert. But I really would like to see Mika in the UK! 

I will check again the flights. Maybe I will buy a go tickets in one company and return one in another one?

I will check tickets as well the 1st of March. I am sure there will be better places.

I remember for Philharmonie de Paris people paid the membership and the places were not in the front rows. The same for Royal Festival Hall.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I still don't know if I will go. I checked the flights and it looks like I should go for 4-5 days (flights of each possible flight company are not every day). So if I add hotels and transportation from London it will become a huge amount for one concert. But I really would like to see Mika in the UK! 

I will check again the flights. Maybe I will buy a go tickets in one company and return one in another one?

I will check tickets as well the 1st of March. I am sure there will be better places.

I remember for Philharmonie de Paris people paid the membership and the places were not in the front rows. The same for Royal Festival Hall.

I think I will go to the gig. I found a flight for 30 GBP to/from London!!!!! I can't believe it :thumb_yello: It'a half price of the concert ticket!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hero said:

Just tried it again out of curiosity, it offered me stalls L3. Which it also offered to Prisca yesterday. :lol3: 

It showed me multiple times L3, now L21. The same place as it showed me when you bought the ticket the day before yesterday. :lol3:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mellody said:

heard from someone that the festival is selling the tickets from front to back on a first come first served basis, but hearing what seats people got yesterday, I'm not so sure that's true.

Yeah, me neither! :dunno_grin:

12 hours ago, mellody said:

So well, I'm curious what tickets they'll be offering on March 1st.

Me too! :original:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Yeah, the membership system is weird. Shouldn't you have the right to the best places? :dunno_grin:I mean: you pay even MORE!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Yeah, the membership system is weird. Shouldn't you have the right to the best places? :dunno_grin:I mean: you pay even MORE!

Maybe they think that the first rows are not always the best.

It's true that for the sound quality it's not the best.

Which I can understand for Philharmonies - best sound is in the middle of the venue. 

But fans a strange creatures. They don't care about the sound. They want to be as close as possible to the stage :lol3:

My mobile becomes crazy with the sound level in front rows....  More of my videos are ruined because if it. BUt I don't care.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Maybe they think that the first rows are not always the best.

Yes, it's true for the Philharmonie. But festivals are another matter (for pop concerts): I think all fans want to be in the front. I don't think it's too much to ask that the organisers should know that. :dunno_grin:

• Haha 1