Doucement - Lyrics and Discussion

TinyLove_CJ

Watched again this interview and he's using the word "solitude" referring to this song, so I see  "elle" as a personification of his solitude from the past (he did the same in Ma Jeunesse) :original:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krysady said:

Watched again this interview and he's using the word "solitude" referring to this song, so I see  "elle" as a personification of his solitude from the past (he did the same in Ma Jeunesse) :original:

The journalist interupted him several times to ask questions so I'm not sure that they were still talking about the song at this point .

Remembering that "sweety banana" is supposed to be about Wanuatu .....I'm not sure he's telling us all the details :wink2:

Edited by carafon
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, carafon said:

The journalist interupted him several times to ask questions so I'm not sure that they were still talking about the song at this point

In that part he was quoting some lyrics from the song, and Mika the same, so I supposed they were still talking about it :dunno_grin: And it makes sense if you read the lyrics from this perspective. But we got in the past different explanations for a song, so everything is possible :aah:

32 minutes ago, carafon said:

Remembering that "sweety banana" is supposed to be about Wanuatu ....

That was most likely a made-up explanation, I made some research and didn't find any reference to that expression in Vanuatu :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, carafon said:

Remembering that "sweety banana" is supposed to be about Wanuatu .....I'm not sure he's telling us all the details :wink2:

He also said that it's about sex, so I guess the double meaning is the point of it, like in Hia Leah. About a place (Vanuatu) and about a person. He's just telling different details in every interview, so we can put together the puzzle pieces. :naughty:

I still have to listen to the interview... but somehow the "elle" referring to his loneliness doesn't fit that well either, imo... why would his loneliness want to reach for the sun? Unless it somehow refers to "un soleil mal luné", where he sings about sun, moon and loneliness... but from my memory I can't really find a connection, except for the words sun and moon.

Of course it's a message to himself, to take it slowly, and thinking of what happened to "elle" is his motivation for this. That's how I would interpret it. I already shared my theories about who "elle" could be, still feels to me like it's a person, but not his Mum. :dunno_grin:

9 minutes ago, mellody said:

Of course it's a message to himself, to take it slowly, and thinking of what happened to "elle" is his motivation for this. That's how I would interpret it. I already shared my theories about who "elle" could be, still feels to me like it's a person, but not his Mum. :dunno_grin:

It once crossed my mind that "she" could be the girl who was the other victim of his abusive teacher , but there was no smartphone in the early 90 .

Edited by carafon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, krysady said:

Listening to the song and reading the lyrics again, I think you are right: “la solitude” wouldn’t have many friends in her phone. And she left without saying a word, as Mika tells the interviewer he doesn’t feel so lonely anymore. Thoughtful wording. 

It’s one of my favourite songs on the album, alongside Passager. Soft and delicate and well, a bit melancholic, too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I try singing along with the chorus, I always feel like I'm a fraction of a second behind Mika's voice, that is, I can't sing

"doucement" fast enough. 

It's one of my favorite songs too.

• Like 1