Doucement - Lyrics and Discussion

TinyLove_CJ

4 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Mika tiktok:

Doucement Part 1:

"Doucement the final song to be revealed! #behindthesong #doucement #QueTateteFleurisseToujours #popmusic"

Part 2:

"Dance... slowly... to Doucement... and guess what... the album is all yours at midnight! #behindthesong #doucement #QueTateteFleurisseToujours #popmusic"

• Like 4

Again I feel like Mika has been a little vague with the explanation on this one, very intrigued to hear the whole song and interpret the story behind it.

I know we don't have long to wait now but can someone share the lyrics for this too? 😊

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Again I feel like Mika has been a little vague with the explanation on this one, very intrigued to hear the whole song and interpret the story behind it.

I feel like it could be partly about his mother too

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, carafon said:

I feel like it could be partly about his mother too

First I had the same thought, but reading again the lyrics, it reminds me so much about Ma Jeunesse. The same way of using the feminine pronoun "elle" and the similar lyrics:  "Un jour elle est partie sans rien dire à personne"  and this:

"Et elle ne montrait rien,

Comme on pleure sous la pluie

Pour cacher son chagrin,

Moi je sais faire aussi"

But it's just my interpretation, I hope he'll give us more details :original:

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 11:14 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I know we don't have long to wait now but can someone share the lyrics for this too? 😊

DOUCEMENT

Elle a voulu toucher le ciel et le soleil 
Moi je la comprends, tu sais 
J'ai déjà fait pareil

Et puis elle est tombée
Sans décrocher la lune 
Elle y croyait tant, c'est vrai 
Mais il n'y en a qu'une

Alors respire tout ira bien
D'aller plus vite, on ne va pas plus loin
Pense à elle simplement

Vas-y doucement, doucement, doucement
Vas-y doucement
Doucement, doucement,doucement Arrêter le temps
Ne me demande pas pourquoi 
Le monde tourne mieux comme ça Doucement, doucement,doucement Arrêter le temps
 Doucement

Un jour elle est partie 
Sans rien dire à personne
Elle n'avait pas tant d'amis
Dans son téléphone
Et elle ne montrait rien, 
Comme on pleure sous la pluie Pour cacher son chagrin 
Moi je sais faire aussi

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I believe it is about his mum. 

I think so too, that was my first thought when I heard it.

Thanks for sharing the lyrics too, I want to ask though, auto translate for me shows both the word 'gently' and also 'slowly', which is the correct translation?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I think so too, that was my first thought when I heard it.

Thanks for sharing the lyrics too, I want to ask though, auto translate for me shows both the word 'gently' and also 'slowly', which is the correct translation?

Well "doucement" can mean both, but in that song it is "gently" in my opinion 

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, krysady said:

First I had the same thought, but reading again the lyrics, it reminds me so much about Ma Jeunesse. The same way of using the feminine pronoun "elle" and the similar lyrics:  "Un jour elle est partie sans rien dire à personne"  and this:

"Et elle ne montrait rien,

Comme on pleure sous la pluie

Pour cacher son chagrin,

Moi je sais faire aussi"

But it's just my interpretation, I hope he'll give us more details :original:

Maybe both

• Like 1

From Paris Match interview:

Reporter:  Dans “Doucement”, il y a cette confession : “Alors respire, tout ira bien. D’aller plus vite, on ne va pas plus loin…”

Mika:  C’est un petit peu un message à moi-même, oui…"

• Like 1

My first thought was also that it's about his mum but the last verse sounds like it's about suicide.

Which wouldn't surprise me, it's a theme that's come up before for example in we are golden.

Edited by CharlotteL
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, krysady said:

From Paris Match interview:

Reporter:  Dans “Doucement”, il y a cette confession : “Alors respire, tout ira bien. D’aller plus vite, on ne va pas plus loin…”

Mika:  C’est un petit peu un message à moi-même, oui…"

Yes, for exemple for today's flight delay. What's the point of be in a hurry if your flight can be in danger? Slow down. Take it easy. Tout ira bien - everything will be OK.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 2

He talked about the meaning of the song in the Purecharts interview https://www.chartsinfrance.net/MIKA/interview-126933.html

"En fait, ça parle du sentiment d'être isolé et de ne pas avoir de valeur pour soi-même. Ça peut être le résultat de beaucoup de choses. Du harcèlement en général, scolaire aussi, ou d'une version adulte de la même chose. Ça dit surtout que si tu ralentis, tu peux voir plus loin. Si tu vas trop vite, tu ne peux pas prendre en considération la distance, la vue longue qui te donnera de la perspective sur ce qui est en train de se passer dans ta vie. Je pense que c'est super important. Quand on se sent dévalorisé ou isolé, c'est comme si la vie était là. (Il colle sa main sur son visage) On voit rien, on voit juste devant nous. En anglais, on dit "pouvoir faire la différence entre l'arbre devant soi et la forêt".

English translation: 

In fact, it's about the feeling of being isolated and not having value for yourself. It could be the result of many things. Bullying in general, school too, or an adult version of the same thing. Above all, it says that if you slow down, you can see further. If you go too fast, you can't take into consideration the distance, the long view that will give you perspective on what is happening in your life. I think it's super important. When we feel devalued or isolated, it's like life is there. (He puts his hand on his face) We see nothing, we just see in front of us. In English, we say “being able to tell the difference between the tree in front of you and the forest”.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, krysady said:

Above all, it says that if you slow down, you can see further.

This makes me wonder now if the correct translation is 'slowly' rather than 'gently' 🤔. I actually like to give the song both meanings though and I can completely relate to Mika's explanation too.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 11:54 PM, crazyaboutmika said:

DOUCEMENT

Elle a voulu toucher le ciel et le soleil 
Moi je la comprends, tu sais 
J'ai déjà fait pareil

Et puis elle est tombée
Sans décrocher la lune 
Elle y croyait tant, c'est vrai 
Mais il n'y en a qu'une

Alors respire tout ira bien
D'aller plus vite, on ne va pas plus loin
Pense à elle simplement

Vas-y doucement, doucement, doucement
Vas-y doucement
Doucement, doucement,doucement Arrêter le temps
Ne me demande pas pourquoi 
Le monde tourne mieux comme ça Doucement, doucement,doucement Arrêter le temps
 Doucement

Un jour elle est partie 
Sans rien dire à personne
Elle n'avait pas tant d'amis
Dans son téléphone
Et elle ne montrait rien, 
Comme on pleure sous la pluie Pour cacher son chagrin 
Moi je sais faire aussi

Google translation:

She wanted to touch the sky and the sun
I understand it, you know
I already did the same
And then she fell
Without picking up the moon
She believed in it so much, it's true
But there is only one
So breathe everything will be okay
To go faster, we don't go further
Just think of her
Take it slow, slow, slow
Go slowly
Slowly, softly, softly Stop time
Don't ask me why
The world turns better like this Slowly, gently, gently Stop time
  Gently
One day she left
Without telling anyone
She didn't have that many friends
In his phone
And she didn't show anything,
Like we cry in the rain To hide our sorrow
I know how to do it too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I also first thought it was about his Mum, but the first part of the second verse doesn't fit to that. Some interesting thoughts here in this thread. It could be Mika's younger self / ma jeunesse. Or it could be about someone who died of suicide. That actually feels like it might be true, when 'm reading the lyrics, and also re. what he said in that interview. Maybe it's the person he sings about in "By the Time"? He said that it's a song about suicide, but he never told any details about it. Whether it was his own struggles with it, sort of an "what if...", or a true story about someone he knew.

The part of "she didn't show anything" also reminds me of what he sings in Paloma - also "she fell" in the first verse could refer to his sister. I think he also once said that Paloma wanted to be an actress but couldn't because of her disability, that would be the reaching for the moon. But "one day she left without telling anyone" doesn't fit in with that theory. Unless maybe if she has stopped working for Mika, as she used to? Not sure when I've seen her the last time in one of his photos / videos, that she was taking care of his outfits. She made his Polka Dot suit that he wore in 2019/2020, but since then... He has his atelier now - maybe she didn't want to take over their mother's job? Maybe she didn't feel up to the challenge? And her disability forces her to go slowly. But still I think she leads a good and happy life, so maybe with this song Mika wants to remind himself of that, when he's unhappy with his life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(I also think this one is  abour his mother) [It just came back to my mind that he wanted to stop/freeze time on January 24th 2020 at his gig in Caen and he said he had the power to do it] 

SLOWLY

Slow slow slow slow slow slow a a 

Slow slow slow slow slow slow a a 

She wanted to touch

The sky and the sun

I do understand her, you see

I already did the same

And then she fell

Without grabbing the moon

She believed so much she would, it's true

But there's only one

So breathe 

everything will go well

Going faster, you won't go further 

Think about her simply

Go slowly, slowly,

Slowly

But go slowly slowly slowly

Hey hey

Slowly, slowly, slowly

Stop time stop time stop time hey hey 

Don't ask me why 

The world turns better that way

Slowly, slowly slowly

Stop time

Slowly

Slow slow slow slow slow slow

Slowly

One day she left 

Without telling anyone

She didn't have that many friends 

In her phone

And she wasn't showing anything

Like you cry under the rain

To hide the pain. 

I know to do this too.

So breathe 

everything will go well

Think about her simply

Go slowly, slowly,

Slowly

Go slowly slowly

Hey go slowly, slowly, slowly

Slowly hey hey 

Stop time

Don't ask me why 

Slowly, slowly, slowly

Stop time

Slowly

Slowly

So breathe 

everything will go well

Just think about her  

Go slowly, slowly,

Slowly

Go slowly 

Slowly, slowly, slowly hey hey

Stop time hey hey

Don't ask me why 

Slowly, slowly, slowly

Stop time

Slowly

Slowly

Simply

Slowly

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

(I also think this one is  abour his mother) [It just came back to my mind that he wanted to stop/freeze time on January 2020 at his gig in Caen and hw said he had the power to do it] 

Didn’t he also say this in the rugby interview with Big Jim, the one he did before the World Cup in Paris? He said when he was younger he wished he had two super powers: 1) to be able to be good at sports and 2) to stop time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Didn’t he also say this in the rugby interview with Big Jim, the one he did before the World Cup in Paris? He said when he was younger he wished he had two super powers: 1) to be able to be good at sports and 2) to stop time. 

Yes you're right :thumb_yello:

On 12/20/2023 at 12:05 AM, holdingyourdrink said:

I think he even said it in early interviews, when he was asked which superpower he'd like to have.

On 12/20/2023 at 12:00 AM, crazyaboutmika said:

I also think this one is  abour his mother

That was my first thought before looking at the lyrics more closely, but how would you interpret the "one day she left without telling anyone"? I think it would be a weird way to refer to the fact that she couldn't talk anymore at the end of her life. It sounds like the fact that the person was leaving came by surprise for Mika. But maybe that's something that gets lost in translation for me. :dunno_grin:

Also I didn't think that his Mum didn't have many friends, like, didn't she make all the contacts for Mika back then? But well, that one could be true, maybe it was just work contacts and not friends.

8 hours ago, mellody said:

I think he even said it in early interviews, when he was asked which superpower he'd like to have.

That was my first thought before looking at the lyrics more closely, but how would you interpret the "one day she left without telling anyone"? I think it would be a weird way to refer to the fact that she couldn't talk anymore at the end of her life. It sounds like the fact that the person was leaving came by surprise for Mika. But maybe that's something that gets lost in translation for me. :dunno_grin:

Also I didn't think that his Mum didn't have many friends, like, didn't she make all the contacts for Mika back then? But well, that one could be true, maybe it was just work contacts and not friends.

She was unable to speak because of  her illness so she left without telling anyone. Maybe she died in her sleep as my aunt did so no good byes on that day. And as far as the surprise well even when you know someone is going to die it still comes as a huge shock and a surprise no matter how many times you were told and knew that it would happen especially when you have invested yourself a lot into that person's care.  And we all have so many of online friends in our phones ourselves but her generation (if based on my own mum) has a certain number of good friends that they call on the phone or possibly send them messages )  And sadly with the years passing by (unless they have younger friends and make new friends) they lose friends their age so they end up with only a few friends in their phone...especially when communicating becomes very complicated (I have epic memories of calling one of my aunts on my other aunt's behalf and ending up having to repeat what each of them said to the other because they both could barely hear and also they were a bit lost each one in their own mind. They were both very happy to be in touch though :wub2:

That's what makes me understand that song this way. Of course that's only my interpretation based on my experience of taking care of my relatives...but that is my feeling...plus the music sounds like a soothing lulluby reminding me of a mum with her child... 

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To me this was never a song about his mom, from the beginning I felt it was about him because the way he wrote the lyrics reminds me so much about Ma Jeunesse. And in the today interview from RFM he talked about the song saying it's a message to himself, and that now he can finally feel the joy in his life and accepting to give up on his loneliness, accepting the people around him as they are. He tried to isolate from people in the past, but not anymore.

Edited by krysady
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1