2007 - Mika @ 9:30 Club Washington, DC - 12 June

hoochatootch

Thanks for the pics Kjoshi. You and your cousins are so cute. You look like his entourage of party girls he takes everywhere with him, instead of fans. Makes him look like a real stud. I love it :naughty:

I'm sneaking online for a few minutes while I'm at work to show you guys these! :naughty:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Lissy3676/MIKA/930%20Club%20Washington%20DC%20-6-12-07-/?action=view&current=BillyBrown-MIKA930ClubWashingtonDC6.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Lissy3676/MIKA/930%20Club%20Washington%20DC%20-6-12-07-/?action=view&current=StuckInTheMiddle-Mika930ClubWashing.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v19/Lissy3676/MIKA/930%20Club%20Washington%20DC%20-6-12-07-/?action=view&current=SweetDreams-Mika930ClubWashingtonDC.flv

I finally got them uploaded. I'm wondering if I should also post them on youtube or not. My personal favorite clip is the Sweet Dreams one. ;)

You could not tell at all that Mika was a bit under the weather!

I think the sound on the clips are a bit weak though, unfortunately. Plus my hand is a little shakey since I was so nervous about being caught!

I need to write out my entire report/review of the show. I plan on typing up a really long post in my livejournal like I did for the other show I went to. I don't think I ever posted that here though. But it's there if by some crazy reason you wish to read it, you may. lol

wow~!!!!! thank you SOO MUCH for uploading those videos of our concert!!!!! you are the best!!! i think the sweet dreams one is my favorite too!!! he is so sexy!!! haha that was the best concert ever!!! :)

Hey!! THank you so much to everyone who uploaded their pictures of MIKA from the concert & afterwards! They were all incredible!! Here's some pictures I took of MIKA after the concert & when we met him!!! :mf_lustslow: This was the best day of my life!!!!

100_1945.jpg

100_1944.jpg

100_1942.jpg

mikaaftershowlollipop.jpg

& here's a picture of us in our MIKA outfits before we left:

100_1926.jpg

hey there ranae!

your pics are awesome!

there is one that you can see me - i am pointing to jerry - it was probably when i was telling him "i need a picture with you, because you are

the man!

LOL!:bleh:

LOL! I see you tootch! And Ranae, you have wonderful pic of my arm and

camera in the one shot -- sorry about that :naughty:

But that group photo is SO awesome! Frameable! :thumb_yello:

Thanks for sharing! :biggrin2:

dcdeb

Great pictures, Ranae! He's looking at the scrapbook. Awwww.... sigh..... I was talking to him.....sigh....

I wanna talk to him again. :wub2: I forgot to ask him some stuff. :blush-anim-cl:

thanks for posting those. :thumb_yello:

Thanks for the pics Kjoshi. You and your cousins are so cute. You look like his entourage of party girls he takes everywhere with him, instead of fans. Makes him look like a real stud. I love it :naughty:

hahaha!! Thanks! I wish we were his entourage!!! That would a dream come true!

Mika tries a little Freddie... and it works

posted by Tiffany Baxendell Bridge at 11:15 AM on June 13, 2007

I first became aware of Mika the same way I've been finding all my musical obsessions lately- listening to Ethel on XM. I was driving to my soul-destroying then-job one morning in early February, trying not to let the dread impose on my commute, when a bouncy song called "Grace Kelly" floated through my speakers. I nearly drove off the road, so involved was I in getting my rock on. If you can imagine Freddie Mercury reincarnated as an early-20s British/Lebanese kid with crazy curly hair (okay, not a stretch) with some vintage Elton John, George Michael, and ALL of the Scissor Sisters mixed in, you can probably imagine what the rest of the album is like.

I finally got to see him live last night at a sold-out show at the 9:30. I couldn't tell you about the opening act because, well, I skipped it. But Mika himself did not disappoint.

One of my favorite things about Mika is that even as he's engaging with reckless abandon in pop theatricality, he does it without a trace of irony, while both acknowledging it and inviting the listener to abandon their hipster pretense and just enjoy the music for what it is.You can't help but accept the invitation. (edited to add: Via Marc in the comments, here's a post by the "Big Girl" dancer. I thought that was Mika's family sitting near us...)

(photo courtesy Mikasounds.com)

The concert was full of future-superstar moments like listening to hundreds of people yell, "'cause a REAL WOMAN needs a REAL MAN HERE'S WHY" during "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)," and the extended high note he held during a cover of the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" that made my throat close up to just contemplate. And of course, it was terrific when he stopped singing "Grace Kelly" and let the crowd take over for several lines, as they mimicked his accent all the while. But my favorite moment of the show was a bit more poignant.

After the closing notes of "Billy Brown," a song about a married man who falls in love with another man, and then runs off to Mexico and meets a girl, Mika rested his hands in his lap, looked at the crowd, and said very quietly, "When I did the demo of that song, my record company said, 'You can't release a song like that in the United States!' I wish they could see you all singing along with me." Not a hint of bravado or pretense, just a brief glimpse into the mind of an artist who is still very starstruck over his own early success.

And then he was off again- stepping out from behind the piano, jumping up and down between choruses, and enjoying the silliness as much of the rest of us.

No recap of the concert would be complete without a description of the encore, however. Mika and the band left the stage more or less immediately after the closing, "Cha-ching...AH!" of "Grace Kelly," but everyone knew there was still one more song to be performed. A few minutes later, the lights came back up on the stage amid the crowd's chants of "MI-KA! MI-KA!" and a recording started to play... of "The Teddybear Picnic." And then, I **** you not, several people dressed in barnyard animal costumes skipped out on stage, formed a circle, and sat down to have, presumably, a picnic. Only then, the cow took its head off, and, um, surprise? It was Mika. The other animals revealed themselves to be the band members, who took their places (still wearing the now-headless costumes) to play "Lollipop," accompanied by confetti cannons, balloons released and bounced back and forth by the audience, and additional costumed characters frolicking onstage.

I think I may now have seen just about everything. But I'd go back and see it again in a heartbeat.

I know I had it the first few days afterwards...but then I put on LiCM and everything was happy and sunshiney again LOL!

How are you tootch? :)

doin' good!:wink2:

i was a mess a couple of times the day after -

the worst was when i accidentally listened to over my shoulder on my trip home!!

so havent done that since!:naughty:

but right now i am prefering to stay up in the clouds - like i told deb - where everyone floats like hearts with wings and sings love today !!:biggrin2:

doin' good!:wink2:

i was a mess a couple of times the day after -

the worst was when i accidentally listened to over my shoulder on my trip home!!

so havent done that since!:naughty:

but right now i am prefering to stay up in the clouds - like i told deb - where everyone floats like hearts with wings and sings love today !!:biggrin2:

I know, that is the most depressing song when you actually are depressed...I mean the song itself is already sad but when you're sad too it just adds to it like a load of bricks! Don't get me wrong, I love that song though! :wub2:

I'm just happy that I saw him in the first place, he was so lovely in person...just keep crossing my fingers that I'll be able to see him again in the future. That would be so awesome, and then I could tell him that I screwed up on my page about my membership date LOL!

I know, that is the most depressing song when you actually are depressed...I mean the song itself is already sad but when you're sad too it just adds to it like a load of bricks! Don't get me wrong, I love that song though! :wub2:

I'm just happy that I saw him in the first place, he was so lovely in person...just keep crossing my fingers that I'll be able to see him again in the future. That would be so awesome, and then I could tell him that I screwed up on my page about my membership date LOL!

oh! i know!

i love it too!

and it was a pile of bricks that fell on me when i heard it...

well, actually it started out slow

one brick...2 bricks...3 bricks....4 bricks...and then the whole pile! LOL!

he WILL be back!

and we WILL see him again!

i think that just knowing he will be back is enough to sweep that mikapression right out the door!

good memories....:wink2:

*sigh*

What's happening August 10?

I was on a high for about three days after seeing him. I purposely didn't listen to him in the car after the concert, I wanted it all just to be as it was, I let the whole experience just sink in. I was really amazed that we met him as we did and he took so much time with us. I tried not to ramble on as I talked to him...and I thought I'd be out of my mind nervous, but he just was so serene and peaceful and so *there* really listening. Not looking around to see who was next, to hurry anything up, it was all natural. It was calming to me. I was so happy and had had such a good time, had expended so much energy. It was good for me. All the tension had left me.

I rested the next day, then we went to an amusement park the day after that, more fun. Saturday, though, I had to take my older girls to the airport. They went to Florida for the summer, and won't be back until mid August. This is only the second time this has happened, their dad moved last year, and I hate that they go. I miss them horribly. Especially my middle daughter...she's my buddy...we hang out together, she's so sweet and considerate and affectionate. I feel like my heart's broken, but I know I'll "get used" to it...and she'll be back.

And I've started to feel the Mikapression too. I think of things I wish I'd said, questions I'd wish I'd asked. I think I need to see Mika about once a week, and my health would improve dramatically. Tension would be reduced, I'd get a lot of exercise, and it would be so good for my heart. :wub2: I'm sure I could get a note from my doctor. Do you think he'd have sympathy?

Thanks for posting the review, mgpm!! I'm going to print it out and paste it on a scrapbook page along with other odds and ends from the show like the pictures I took and confetti!

I can't believe the show was nearly a whole week ago already! It all happened so fast. I still need to write my review about the show.