Greetings from new fan from Norway.

Panduck

5 hours ago, Panduck said:

I have managed to get one person really fall in love with his music. Also I found one of my friends is a big MIKA fan, really the last one I would expect, as we have been on a total clash when it came to likes for music. Other than MIKA, apparently... A few other friends enjoy some of his music. I am just so happy that my mate loves his music just as much as me. That is a lot more important to me than if my friends does or not.

That's great!! I can imagine the excitement when you found out that ur friends enjoying his music as much as u do...so far I yet to meet one.  I always wish that I can get someone to go watch his live concert together.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Panduck said:

Found Mika: Sinfonia Pop on iTunes. Now we have something to watch this weekend! :)

that´s great, enjoy. I was there sitting on the 5th balcony across the stage. I really really love his Pop concerts with all their energy and everything but his Sinfony concert are the special treatments on the top. He lives his music....... Please tell us how you liked it afterwards :wink2:

• Like 3

Hello and welcome to MFC :welcomeani:

I think I read your tweet too and I hope you will enjoy your stay here :wink2:

I wanted to reply to your introduction tomorrow as I'm too tired for writing in english, but I can't sleep, so...

I live in Italy but, also if Mika is well known here as he did some tv shows, I discovered him in France in 2015.

As someone already suggested, you should watch some of his interviews as he is not only a great artist, but also a great man with a "heart of gold" and a very interesting personality :wub2:

You say you like cirque du soleil: I'm not really sure about that, but I read somewhere that he did some gigs in a circus like tent, with acrobats and other circus stuff (hope someone will correct me if it's not true :stifle:)

As you, I quickly decided I want to see him live because he also designs his own scenography and every concert is like a spectacle or a piece of theater - maybe due to his formation at the Opera House.

Watch past concerts if you can because some are really like stories: in fact I think he is- and if I'm not wrong he defines himself as- a story teller.

So, I finally went to a gig and I also bought some CDs and the Dvd of the concert; if you don't have a CD player I think I once saw vinyls for sale too on mikasounds shop :wink2:

However, there are many informations about Mika in the forum, check Mika encyclopedia here: 

I really enjoyed reading your story (and your wife's too), thank you for sharing it with us :group_hug:

• Like 2

P.S.

You should also listen to last "the art of song" episodes, a radio progam that Mika made for BBC radio 2 this winter, in wich he describes the life of a single artist par episode. Maybe there are things you already know, as you said you are a composer, but I find his way of explaining things very cathy and what he says very interesting :wink2:

You can find all episodes and some abstacts of them here:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/32954-2017-the-art-of-song-on-bbc-radio-2/

• Like 3

Woooow what you wrote is just perfect! You summed up exactly what I try to tell my friends when they ask me why I listen to him. He is underrated and a frikking genious ?

And I know how it is when you feel like you're almost the only one in your country why listens to him (I just saw your post in Representatives thread).

Also, welcome to MFC! I hope you'll find a lot of fun things here and maybe meet some new friends. ?

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, Panduck said:

Found Mika: Sinfonia Pop on iTunes. Now we have something to watch this weekend! :)

Enjoy yourselves, it's wonderful.

Hi Panduck, your introduction is so full of joy and enthusiasm :wub2:

• Like 2

This is such a sweet story!!

And what you wrote about Mika, really touched my heart :wub: He really is nothing short of a musical genius :)

And to read the way in which Mika has enveloped you and your wife, and brought back joy and memories and feelings to you both- is truly so warming, THANK YOU FOR THE LOVELY INTRO AND WELCOME

• Like 2

Thank you sooo much for your amazing introduction Panduck!! :thumb_yello: I'm very happy today,  the 7th May ( no. 7 is very often a part of my special MIKA happenings! ) - because you and your wife Swandog found MIKA and his music, and told us about it, already one week ago !! :wub2: I didn't know it until today though...

I'm 65 y.o. and luckily I found him already at 9.3.2007 :blush-anim-cl:  It has been 10 fab.years - but I can assure you I know too well the anger and frustration I've felt so many times, when one masterpiece after another has been released, and ignored in Norway,  over the years.  His first alb. LICM was  a huge hit, also here, and "Grace Kelly" became the most played song at Radio P4 in 2007.  Then the 2nd alb. TBWKTM came, but  was quickly "forgotten".   After that,  not one word about him, or his fab. new albums! :doh:  It's really hard to experience that he's, as you write,  "the most underrated musical genious of our time" - at least in our country. But GK & Relax are still played on the radio stations.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your membership at the MFC - and I hope to meet you both at a MIKA concert asap :wink2: He's wonderful on records, but live he's out of this world - simply the best!! :wub2: You really have something good to look forward to, and I do hope you don't need to wait for so long, to experience our golden MIKA...:fisch::wub2:   

Love, love

me

Edited by mamiam
  • Like 2

Thanks for your lovely introduction and for remembering me of the wonderful period when I got to know Mika and MFC. Enjoy the infatuation.

Here a clip of a special performance of Stardust: 

• Like 3

On 2017-5-7 at 11:18 PM, mamiam said:

His first alb. LICM was  a huge hit, also here, and "Grace Kelly" became the most played song at Radio P4 in 2007.  Then the 2nd alb. TBWKTM came, but  was quickly "forgotten".   After that,  not one word about him, or his fab. new albums! :doh:  It's really hard to experience that he's, as you write,  "the most underrated musical genious of our time" - at least in our country. But GK & Relax are still played on the radio stations.

Nice to see other Norwegians here! We live plopped down right next to Gardermoen airport, btw, if you ever travel past we could stop by and say hi :)

I am so sorry we missed his conserts here, and everything else. We just have been completely disconnected from the music of today, as we have, as you have read, just totally given up on it. And as noticed, even when GREAT people like MIKA comes along, they are not really given much attention. Even if I heard Grace Kelly, it was nothing compared to the "hits" like Diamonds in the Sky and whatnot. Most music is so painful I cant even listen to the radio :/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panduck said:

Nice to see other Norwegians here! We live plopped down right next to Gardermoen airport, btw, if you ever travel past we could stop by and say hi :)

I am so sorry we missed his conserts here, and everything else. We just have been completely disconnected from the music of today, as we have, as you have read, just totally given up on it. And as noticed, even when GREAT people like MIKA comes along, they are not really given much attention. Even if I heard Grace Kelly, it was nothing compared to the "hits" like Diamonds in the Sky and whatnot. Most music is so painful I cant even listen to the radio :/

Have you seen this Mika Oslo video yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKqq0_XmVeA:wub2::naughty:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

OMG - thanks Anne - this's such a funny vid!! :lmfao:I stood right in front of MIKA at Sentrum Scene,  when this happened, and I'll thank Nina forever, for taping and sharing this funny moment! :wub2:

You're lucky Panduck, if you live close to Gardermoen - cause I'm sure we have to travel abroad - to see MIKA live in new concerts! :fisch: I hope, and think, that we'll  soon meet... :wink2: Meanwhile, enjoy everything you can find here at the MFC :wub2:

Love, love

me

Edited by mamiam
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Panduck said:

This is just so weird, if he was so popular back then how come virtually everyone I ask have not even heard about him. Where did the fans go? :o

It is to the point if I wonder if MIKA is "batteled" by forces in the music industry that does not want music to be something beyond what is easy from them to control "hot chicks singing about how they adore tough guys and tough guys singing about how great they are for hot chicks". When I see the fan response that MIKA has gotten, it seems a mystery that it has ended up where it is now. It would be like Elton John being discovered, having some great albums and concerts that people just LOVED, and then suddenly noone knows about him. Given what MIKA has done, he would have been one of the BIG names in the 80s, and given how people genuinly seem to love his music, he SHOULD be now too.

I am reminded of the movie "SING". Where the animals that performed so amazing were loved by the audience. The porcupine was giving the "next hit song!" a really good 80s hard rock style song, and people actually loved it! the Koala in the movie said "This is the next hit". And you feel with people that saw the movie that this was a hit material. But you know what, once the movie is over, it seems forgotten, and we are back to the "sexy chicks and tough guys".

Music before seemed to be "what does people love and want to hear?", and now it is "what can be wrapped up in a sexy wrapping and shipped and sold for a low cost and high profit."

The movie SING actually made me angry. Not because of the movie, the movie was good, but because we adored the voice of the elephant and the talents of the porcupine, and all the other animals, and to showcase their talents, we had to bring back music or music style of the 80s. 

It is like the movie Frozen or specially Moana. Where the movie contains a real well written song that is sung in a real good way in the movie, but wrapped up in this "hot chick voice" at the end, vocoded into a disaster and made to be the same wrapping as everything else. It is like they do not want singers with an amazing voice, a true skill range, to really become popular. Are these artists to "self minded", too able to become independent, and become a threat? Or what is the deal. Why is good music in a movie something completely different from what is considered good on the radio.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Panduck said:

This is just so weird, if he was so popular back then how come virtually everyone I ask have not even heard about him. Where did the fans go? :o

I think it's a curse pop singers have :dunno:  Fans come and go sadly...I was in the MFC jacket for Mika project and it seems I'm the only one whose name is on the jacket who is still around...unless I'm wrong which I would love. Good thing is there are cool new fans like you two  so fandom goes on...and some die hard fans like me :naughty: also some fans are still around but they lurk instead of posting :wink2:  

Mika's fourth album is clearly my fav :swoon: and I haven't found anything that makes me feel at home and happier than his voice :wub2: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I think it's a curse pop singers have :dunno:  Fans come and go sadly..

I see that but I do not quite buy into that as a full explanation. We are consumers and we are easily manipulated to like stuff. Some artists are hits for years and years, despite putting out more or less the same kinda music. They have insane marked forces pushing their music out. If you do not have the trust of the "music industry backbone" behind you, you will loose.

I have no idea what the explanation is, but I am puzzled that the good singers, who people really seem to be taken by, how their voice touch them, how amazed we are by their talents, are mostly IN movies, ON shows like "The Voice" , "X-factor" etc, but not in the "hit collections", at least not for very long.

It seems the marked is very catered towards what young people like, probably because that is where the eagerness to spend money on music is highest. As with MIKA having a huge fan following amongst us old-folks, this is not so desireable for the industry. Again, back in the 80s, I remember how kids and adults alike had music for their tastes. We had bands that appealed to the young crowd and bands that appealed to the old crowd, and some that struck both. Now, it seems old people still cling to the music "of the past". Well, until MIKA came along.

With the internett changing the way we listen to music, this can fortunately change. My music tastes can be reflected in what I play on Spotify, not by what the industry push out on radio. Indie music has new channels. I hope for a new "musical revolution!". And I think MIKA can be a leading player with that, not just as a musician but as a guide for others.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Mika's fourth album is clearly my fav :swoon: and I haven't found anything that makes me feel at home and happier than his voice :wub2: 

Of "my faves", the third album is the winner so far for me. But It is really not easy to say that any album is a favourite over another. All the album contains several songs that REALLY touches me. He really works on his music in EVERY single song to appeal to you in different ways. I do not think I have ever seen any artist that is so crafty in such a range of styles. That he takes his job seriously is no question.

• Like 2

I agree with you Panduck - with most of what you write here! :thumb_yello: You ask pretty much the same questions, and draw  the same conclusions,  as I've done over the years :blush-anim-cl:

We've had both long and hot discussions about MIKA here on the MFC :wink2: People have,  of course, mixed and diff. opinions about what happened to his carriere, and the way he has chosen.  But one important thing we have common - we all love him, and his music,  very much - and always look forward to his next album with big  excitement...:fisch::wub2: 

Love, love

me

Your question is quite interesting and I asked this myself many times. In Germany it´s nearly the same, his last concerts were 2012 ( two, one sold out and small sold only 80% ) and there he told us he wouldn´t come back to Germany for a long time. Some big radio stations still play his old songs GK and Relax, the one I watch plays him ten times a month but no one knows about his new Songs and when we write to the stations we get ignored.

Why is Mika so underrated? I think one of the reasons is the we ( I mean western humans of this time ) became very fast living..... no deep feelings.....no problems......just a bit fun and then run to the next fun act ( one example is how many relationships  break because so many don´t want to work on problems .....) The Music Business , I only can speak of what I see in Germany, jumps on the new comers and push them as much as possible - earn lot´s of Money but at least after the second album when the hype slows down they let the singers down and jump on the next new talent. Mika´s carreer started when everyone was bored because all the music sounded the same, he was the big exception and everyone jumped on him and loved that he was different to everyone else. Then he had a longer break to write his second album and other singers tried to be different so he wasn´t the only one anymore......... Universal already let him down before TBWKTM as they didn´t want to produce his EP Songs For Sorrow which he produced on his own costs. He didn´t sell the same amount of Albums with TBWKTM and when TOOL came out and seemed to be a flop his label canceled the promotion. It seems to be quite normal in the business today so it´s wonderful Mika was able to keep his carreer running even in a smaller level. These are my thoughts about this and I don´t have any prove that I´m right .....

Thank god there are still fans who loves his wonderful Music, his lyrics, his talent , his performances and so much more......

• Like 6

On 5/11/2017 at 0:39 PM, Panduck said:

Of "my faves", the third album is the winner so far for me. But It is really not easy to say that any album is a favourite over another. All the album contains several songs that REALLY touches me. He really works on his music in EVERY single song to appeal to you in different ways. I do not think I have ever seen any artist that is so crafty in such a range of styles. That he takes his job seriously is no question.

I love the third too :wub2: