2009 - MIKA@Passionkirche, Berlin! Gig reports, photos & vids!! June 1

happikali

:naughty:

in this one?

yes,dan(the bassist) is around the trash can,and you can see same hair and same white shirt...

no problem,i was just like you when i look again at the video:teehee:

Yep:roftl: And even more of them!

It's easy to get confused:teehee:

I'm so glad they got to meet him:biggrin2:

I seem to never get enough of this mans energy on stage. :wub2:

There has to be better words…charisma…presence?

The gig started with a Mika who was tense and almost shy, turning his back to the audience a lot.

Lady Jane, a few more songs... and after Toy Boy which was beautifully played on his new instrument the Celeste, the circus came to town!

Jumping, screaming, the audience singing back, Mika skipping around all over the stage sharing his lovely energy!:roftl:

How in the world could you possibly resist when Mika looks you in the eyes, claps his hands, jumps up and down and encourage you to do the same?:teehee:

I, and the people around me, second row, right side, must have had the luck of our life’s because we were still able to see most of what happened on stage when the whole audience went crazy and rushed forward all the way to the stage, filling up all the area around the seats.

Why did this said acoustic gig turn in to a funny, fantastic and noisy circus?

My theory is, that for most people his music is not first hand sitting-down-and-listen-carefully-music, with a few exceptions…

So….the audience did what probably felt most natural, jumping up and down and dance.

Mika is feeding off so much from that connection with the audience that he just went with the flow and the craziness took over!:roftl:

I enjoyed every second of it!:wub2:

He is an energetic, musically talented artist with a fantastic voice!:wub2:

Oh and from my place I was able to look at his hands while he was playing the piano and some of you already know about my love and admiration for good piano-players!

Thank you Mika for the lively and colourful Berlin gig!:wub2:

To avoid misunderstandings I would like to add that I thought it was a mistake to allow people to run to the front like that and block so many people view's, everybody wasn’t at all as lucky as we on the right hand side. This venue is definitely not the right place for a show like that and the security wasn’t able to deal with it!

Those last few days were just beyond fantastic , thanks to a bunch of extraordinarily fantastic people. It’s not like I never had fun before, yet it’s been much too long since I had that particular kind of fun for the last time. You get me, I think. :huglove:

Sariflor, Kata, Dennis (12?), I never thought I would enjoy it so much being trapped inside some fake Starbucks watching what seemed like the apocalypse outside. We have to do this again.

Sienna, you’re incredible. One day you’ll have to tell us how you really managed to get from the airport - past our breakfast table - to your room – past our breakfast table again – and straight to the venue completely unnoticed.

Sariflor, I never knew that crossing a red light would be such a thrill. Wow.

Suzie, Tiibet, it was really nice to meet you.

Number girls - KamIva, agnieszka, those were you, right? Sorry I didn’t talk to you a lot. You really did a fantastic job with that list.

Robertina, I really can’t remember why I was too scared to introduce myself in London already. You’re just so sweet.

Allegra, I wish you’d have been there earlier, you’re unique in the utmost enjoyable way. I laughed so hard I cried about your ‚I don’t touch pop stars‘ demonstration.

Mellody, it was so good to see you again. Next time get your pictures from the right perspective again, please. :roftl:

Laura, thanks for giving me a reason to get into that signing queue. I probably wouldn’t have done it without a mission.

Faballa, were you the one standing next to me on the stairs when the door opened? The one who said the purple light on the cross looked so esoteric? If so, I can’t believe I stood there right next to you and didn’t notice who you were. :doh: Guess we’ll have to do with the song fragment a bit longer, since the whole thing is obviously so special that Mika wants to keep it all to himself. :naughty:

John and unnamed security guy: Thanks a gazillion times for making that numbers thing work. :flowers2:

Everyone I didn’t mention, you were so many, and everybody I talked to was so nice.

Hope you all got home (or to Amsterdam?) safe and sound.

Mika! :roftl:

You clearly haven’t understood the concept of acoustic. At all. It doesn’t matter, though. I love you anyway.

My thoughts about the gig come with my next post as I am running out of smilies and I can't post without them. :sneaky2:

Edited by violet_sky

:mf_lustslow:

I saw him!! It was a great great Moment, only 2 or 3 Meter distance between us and Mika! Who was there too?

If somebody like, i´f seen a Videoclip on Youtube:

-have Fun!!

very nice video mikasuzisweet!! thanks for sharing! :wub2:

I think all the hard facts about the gig have been mentioned, you all have a vague idea about what Mika looks like so I won’t go into that and stick with my very personal view of things (which actually is what I usually do… I think…)

I expected a lot from that gig. And of course it was fantastic, it was Mika after all and well, there was no way for this to be not out-of-this-world amazing. When security said that mobiles had to be turned off altogether because ‚the artist didn’t want to be disturbed ‘ I was under the impression that this would not be what we were used to. And well, it was – in the beginning. I must admit I had a little Tom Hulce moment when Mika went to the piano, I couldn’t help it, the image was just there. Sorry.

It was so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop. I never thought this was possible. Each of the other gigs I went to made my ears ring from all the crazy screaming. So that was a nice change.

My expectations skyrocketed when Mika ****ed up (his words, not mine) Lady Jane for the second time (which by the way nobody would have noticed if he just had gone ahead). Don’t ask me why that is, I can’t really put it down to anything. I just got the vibe that was meant to be extra-perfect for the occasion. That almost solemn vibe was quite nice for the venue and the acoustic plan. And it seemed to work out for some of the songs. In fact those were the ones I enjoyed most.

But basically, this was not an acoustic gig.

It was more like two mini-gigs, that could impossibly be any more contradictory, mixed together. A few of his decisions are really hard for me to get. I totally didn’t see Big Girl to be performed at that gig beforehand, which is not my favourite song of his set even at a big venue. Or Lollipop. I must admit that was a tad weird. And there was no Relax at all. This one is really a mystery to me, because there are all sorts of mind-blowing real acoustic versions of that song. And I mean mind-blowing when I say it. Grace Kelly twice? I see the significance, it’s not like I haven’t been here since 2007, but still.

You’d have to be blind to not see how he got a real thrill out of making a place like a church go totally nuts the way he did. And it’s alright. Mika having a blast is about the most infectious sight I can imagine.

Just in the end there was no balance at all within the whole set and no way to get this back to the acoustic idea once ‘Over my Shoulder’ was done and – shame on me- I can’t remember what bouncy song was next. It was clearly a case of no compromises. And it probably worked to a certain degree in terms of serving everyone. Just that it is not necessary to try to satisfy everyone at any time. And actually it’s not possible. girl_nea.gif

I guess I said it about 5000 times at about 4000 occasions (because I tend to repeat myself) that he’s got the rare talent to pull off both, small shows without a lot of amplifying, be it visually or acoustically, and the bigger shows he mostly did in the recent past. I didn’t mean he should try and do it simultaneously, though. girl_impossible.gif

Nonetheless it was a fantastic gig. I was very happy with the new songs and Over my Shoulder was just so special to me. Generally I can’t claim in a good conscience that Mika on a stage is something I can do without for a very long period of time. Nobody would believe me anyway. girl_pardon.gif

So yes. :cheerful_h4h:

And on a side note: If anyone can remember the name of the support act, that would be much appreciated.

Edited by violet_sky
OMG a grammar bug!

Sienna, you’re incredible. One day you’ll have to tell us how you really managed to get from the airport - past our breakfast table - to your room – past our breakfast table again – and straight to the venue completely unnoticed.

When it comes to Mika gigs I can move really fast!:naughty:

Looking forward to your report!:wub2:

Thanks for all the reports, pics and vid!

I'm glad that all the gig excitement is back...really missed it!!

it's a good video,thanks!!!

i love over my shoulder,so lot of emotion:wub2:

I just watched your vid of Rain.

I love this version! T4P!

I'm surprised by Blue eyes, I kind of appreciate the song here...

Edited by LebAngel

Look up then, it's right above your last post :roftl:

Oh I did!:teehee:

Thank you for a beautiful report!:thumb_yello:

I will for ever be a little jealous about your ability to use the English language!

How do you do it girl?:wub2:

Oh I did!:teehee:

Thank you for a beautiful report!:thumb_yello:

I will for ever be a little jealous about your ability to use the English language!

How do you do it girl?:wub2:

Sienna, your english is great too! Don't be so hard on yourself :bleh:

Writing this report is more difficult than I thought… Maybe I’ve got writer’s block. :boxed:

The venue was really beautiful. The inside was spectacular, especially with the stage lights.

I didn’t expect the orange jacket! It was such a surprise! It’s a pity it was too hot to keep it on. The new shoes were weird! It wasn’t definitely love at first sight for me… And I guess he actually scratched the piano jumping on it!

All the songs were different: the music was a bit changed, the instruments did different things, the singing was a bit changed, too. So, on the whole, even the old songs sounded great. He looked very worried at the beginning and was maybe perplexed by the fact that the audience was so silent! We were all in awe, for sure! :wub2:

He was really worried about making mistakes. I guess he went blank for a while during TB, but he recovered quickly and the song was beautiful anyway. He even forgot to introduce the band! He must have been really stressed! I liked the way he moved his arms and hands while he was singing.

I really loved Blue Eyes and Over my Shoulder, but his voice was great in every single song. GGG was impressive! Even the Grace Kelly encore was fantastic. I’m happy I was able to hear that song in the voice and piano version.

Martin looked very happy to be playing with M again. He smiled a lot and was very involved. I can’t honestly say that there was something wrong with the band. I even thought that Billy Brown was perfect, too.

I’m so happy the Mastah is back! :fangurl:

I didn’t like the fact that people stood up, from Big Girl on I think, because I really couldn’t see anything! It was very annoying. I missed half of the show because of that. :annoyed_h4h: I hope I will be able to see well in Milan.

A report can’t convey half the feelings and impressions of this gig. Incredible doesn’t even cover it! I’m so sorry I can’t do any better! I hope those who didn’t attend will watch videos in order to judge on their own. :wink2:

Laura, thanks for giving me a reason to get into that signing queue. I probably wouldn’t have done it without a mission.

Thank you! :biggrin2::wub2:

Mika! :roftl:

You clearly haven’t understood the concept of acoustic. At all. It doesn’t matter, though. I love you anyway.

You're so right! :roftl::roftl:

wow guys, thanks for the reports, pics, vids.....it all sounds so special! I'm heartbroken I can't get to any of these shows. I'm so happy for ye who got to meet him; it sounds like the m&g went really well!

Mellody, your vid of Over My Shoulder is beautiful, thank you.

Violet Sky, I enjoyed your report...I have to say I thought it was weird too when I heard that he did Big Girl and Lollipop! I'd loooove to hear him play that gorgeous acoustic version of Relax live some time.

I'm wondering if anyone has a vid of Toy Boy?

AAAAHHH!!!! I'm getting an overload feasting on all these vids and reports. Thankyou everyone. There's so much to see.

And I've just noticed in Mellody's vids (although I haven't watched it yet) that he did HJ!! :mf_lustslow: I love that song, and I'm so glad it wasn't left out!

And I've just noticed in Mellody's vids (although I haven't watched it yet) that he did HJ!! :mf_lustslow: I love that song, and I'm so glad it wasn't left out!

No he didn't.....:blink:

No he didn't.....:blink:

OK, then it must be an old one??:blink:

As I said, I haven't watched it yet, I'm skittering about all over the place watching, reading, looking, trying to soak it all up. But if he didn't, that's a shame. Damn!

OK, then it must be an old one??:blink:

As I said, I haven't watched it yet, I'm skittering about all over the place watching, reading, looking, trying to soak it all up. But if he didn't, that's a shame. Damn!

Sorry you had to know the truth :teehee:

Sorry you had to know the truth :teehee:

That's OK. I'll survive, although it is a blow:mf_rosetinted:

Actually it just ****s me that HJ is probably not going to be on the actual album, and because he has all this new material, I'll probably never actually get to hear him do it in concert. Assuming he ever gets back down here of course:sneaky2::naughty:

That's OK. I'll survive, although it is a blow:mf_rosetinted:

Actually it just ****s me that HJ is probably not going to be on the actual album, and because he has all this new material, I'll probably never actually get to hear him do it in concert. Assuming he ever gets back down here of course:sneaky2::naughty:

he will! he will!! cuz i said so! :mf_rosetinted: