Mika in US & Canadian Press - 2013/2014

krysady

:naughty:

For "bourré" / "saoul", we use both in France, but it's not the same level: "saoul" is the normal word ("langage standard"), but "bourré" is less polite ("langage familier"), even if most of French people prefer this one I think :teehee:

Does that mean that French people are less polite than Quebec people? :mf_rosetinted:

I wish I could translate this article for non-French-speakers, but as you may have seen, my English is not that good :blush-anim-cl:

Quebec people are equally impolite, we just use different vocabulary. the equivalent of "bourré" would be "paqueté":wink2:

Mika at Varsity Theater, 4/2/13

citylogo.png

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2013/04/mika_at_varsity_concert_review.php

IMG_5474.jpg

Mika_3_Youa_Vang.jpeg

Mika_2_Youa_Vang.jpeg

Mika_4_Youa_Vang.jpeg

Mika with DJ Moose

Varsity Theater, Minneapolis

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mika is certainly a singer, but who knew that he was also a magician, because the show he put on at the Varsity on Tuesday night was magic. The British singer is known for his catchy pop songs that cause the listener to dance, so it was through pure talent that he was able to siphon and filter those songs into an acoustic set.

Under a stage lit by single hanging light-bulbs, Mika lured the audience into his enchanting world, captivating and charming everyone at the same time.

Dressed to the nines in a tuxedo, the pop singer took to the Steinway that was set up for him onstage. Delicately tinkling on the keys, he opened with "Grace Kelly," then smiled and said, "Good evening, Minneapolis." "Toy Boy" was a lullaby-like piece that opened with the clarinet and glockenspiel and led into a fun pop piece. There is a recurring theme through all of Mika's songs; they have to be catchy, they have to be fun, and they are about love -- most of the time about love gone wrong, such as his pessimistic love song "Lollipop." Mika loves to talk, and he jokingly shared his thoughts about the stages of love, "First, it's please sleep with me, please get the **** away from me, please come back to me. Then back to please sleep with me, and we have the cycle again."

The crowd took to a hushed awe when Mika came out from behind the piano to dance and perform at the mic. He shared, "Minneapolis, I dressed up tonight. I washed my face. I put wax in my hair. I put on a bowtie just for you." Spotting a similarly dressed fan in the crowd, he continued, "Oh, you look like one of the boys," referring to himself and his backing band. He got the audience laughing doing the sign of the cross before launching into "Popular," a redemptive upbeat piece talking about how he was picked on by a girl that was popular.

Mika was especially impressed and proud of the never-before-played grand piano that was provided for him that evening, claiming that he usually has to perform on a piano that goes out of tune after a few songs. Since he had such an amazingly instrument to work with, he promised to play brilliantly, like he never had before, saying, "That's why I wear a ****ing bowtie. I wear it, so the piano wouldn't stand me up. Bitch." Trying to catch what an audience member was saying, he asked, "What did you say? Oh, you're gross. Wash your mouth out with soap," before leading into "Love You When I'm Drunk," a song touching on a failed relationship due to alcohol.

With all of the lights turned off except one dangling bulb, Mika grabbed it, set it swinging, and launched into the haunting love song "Underwater." The sold-out crowd at the Varsity was in for a treat when he performed "The Only Lonely One," a song that he had not performed on this tour before.The tune had some "hey, ho"s similar to the Lumineers' famous song, but that's all the similarities they had in common; Mika's is a tale of pining for love that he feels he won't ever be able to find.

When he was six years old, the performer wanted to take ballet lessons, not because he had a love for ballet, but because his sisters were taking them. He begged his parents to get him lessons, but instead of ballet, he took tap instead. Only in tap for six months, he was "kicked out for being a **** dancer," he jokingly shared. To honor those six months, he wrote the "Tap Dancing Song," and pointed out the not-noticeable-until-then tap dancing shoes he was wearing. "Tap Dancing Song" was a fun, buoyant piece that had his backing band joining him and tinkling on the piano at the end.

There was a surprise in store for an audience member when Mika approached a man in the front row and took a picture with him. This was more a diversion, for Mika handed him the mic after dedicating "Origin of Love" to a woman named Audra, asking the man to do the honors leading to the man proposing to Audra. Although she didn't respond into the mic, it was pretty clear that it was a "yes."

Much like many songwriters, Mika has been writing for other performers, which he shares is very liberating. He said, "You feel like...I can't think of the name. Dr. Frankenstein? And these songs are monsters. There's a film in production starting next Monday, and I wrote this song for it. It's called 'Century Man,'" which turned out to be a magnetic song about a superhero.

Because he was Minneapolis, Mika couldn't go through his set without talking about Prince, saying, "I could be hopeful; I could be purple," and in his falsetto led into "Happy Ending." A singer that doesn't include an encore must be secure in the fact that they did a good enough job in their set that there is no need for more, thus he ended the evening on a song he wrote and recorded when he was just sixteen, "Over My Shoulder." Not just because he plays the piano, but his mannerisms and charm draw a parallel to American-Canadian singer, Rufus Wainwright. Both performers have a love for opera, and "Over My Shoulder" showed off Mika's expansive range and amazing control. The eerie waltz took over the stage and permeated the venue, much like how the bitter taste of a fine, red wine lingers after it's gone.

Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I don't think his full effect isn't experienced until you see his live show.

The crowd: Surprisingly young with a lot of twenty-somethings and a handful of middle-aged fans.

Overheard in the crowd: "This DJ set is awful," referring to the confusing opener that played '50s music. Turns out the two DJs were Mika's backing band.

Random notebook dump: This show sold out in a few hours. Pretty impressive for an artist that doesn't get much, if any, radio airplay.

Setlist

Grace Kelly

Toy Boy

Lollipop

Blue Eyes

Billy Brown

Popular

Love You When I'm Drunk

Underwater

The Only Lonely One

Tap Dancing Song

Elle Me Dit (Emily)

Origin of Love

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

Stardust

Century Man

Relax (Take it Easy)

Make You Happy

Lola

Happy Ending

Over My Shoulder

Edited by Kumazzz

Not just because he plays the piano, but his mannerisms and charm draw a parallel to American-Canadian singer, Rufus Wainwright. Both performers have a love for opera, and "Over My Shoulder" showed off Mika's expansive range and amazing control. The eerie waltz took over the stage and permeated the venue, much like how the bitter taste of a fine, red wine lingers after it's gone.

Aw this is lovely and so true.

Overheard in the crowd: "This DJ set is awful," referring to the confusing opener that played '50s music. Turns out the two DJs were Mika's backing band.

I am so sorry Mika makes them do this. :aah::naughty:

Mika at Varsity Theater, 4/2/13

citylogo.png

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2013/04/mika_at_varsity_concert_review.php

IMG_5474.jpg

Mika_3_Youa_Vang.jpeg

Mika_2_Youa_Vang.jpeg

Mika_4_Youa_Vang.jpeg

Mika with DJ Moose

Varsity Theater, Minneapolis

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mika is certainly a singer, but who knew that he was also a magician, because the show he put on at the Varsity on Tuesday night was magic. The British singer is known for his catchy pop songs that cause the listener to dance, so it was through pure talent that he was able to siphon and filter those songs into an acoustic set.

Under a stage lit by single hanging light-bulbs, Mika lured the audience into his enchanting world, captivating and charming everyone at the same time.

Dressed to the nines in a tuxedo, the pop singer took to the Steinway that was set up for him onstage. Delicately tinkling on the keys, he opened with "Grace Kelly," then smiled and said, "Good evening, Minneapolis." "Toy Boy" was a lullaby-like piece that opened with the clarinet and glockenspiel and led into a fun pop piece. There is a recurring theme through all of Mika's songs; they have to be catchy, they have to be fun, and they are about love -- most of the time about love gone wrong, such as his pessimistic love song "Lollipop." Mika loves to talk, and he jokingly shared his thoughts about the stages of love, "First, it's please sleep with me, please get the **** away from me, please come back to me. Then back to please sleep with me, and we have the cycle again."

The crowd took to a hushed awe when Mika came out from behind the piano to dance and perform at the mic. He shared, "Minneapolis, I dressed up tonight. I washed my face. I put wax in my hair. I put on a bowtie just for you." Spotting a similarly dressed fan in the crowd, he continued, "Oh, you look like one of the boys," referring to himself and his backing band. He got the audience laughing doing the sign of the cross before launching into "Popular," a redemptive upbeat piece talking about how he was picked on by a girl that was popular.

Mika was especially impressed and proud of the never-before-played grand piano that was provided for him that evening, claiming that he usually has to perform on a piano that goes out of tune after a few songs. Since he had such an amazingly instrument to work with, he promised to play brilliantly, like he never had before, saying, "That's why I wear a ****ing bowtie. I wear it, so the piano wouldn't stand me up. Bitch." Trying to catch what an audience member was saying, he asked, "What did you say? Oh, you're gross. Wash your mouth out with soap," before leading into "Love You When I'm Drunk," a song touching on a failed relationship due to alcohol.

With all of the lights turned off except one dangling bulb, Mika grabbed it, set it swinging, and launched into the haunting love song "Underwater." The sold-out crowd at the Varsity was in for a treat when he performed "The Only Lonely One," a song that he had not performed on this tour before.The tune had some "hey, ho"s similar to the Lumineers' famous song, but that's all the similarities they had in common; Mika's is a tale of pining for love that he feels he won't ever be able to find.

When he was six years old, the performer wanted to take ballet lessons, not because he had a love for ballet, but because his sisters were taking them. He begged his parents to get him lessons, but instead of ballet, he took tap instead. Only in tap for six months, he was "kicked out for being a **** dancer," he jokingly shared. To honor those six months, he wrote the "Tap Dancing Song," and pointed out the not-noticeable-until-then tap dancing shoes he was wearing. "Tap Dancing Song" was a fun, buoyant piece that had his backing band joining him and tinkling on the piano at the end.

There was a surprise in store for an audience member when Mika approached a man in the front row and took a picture with him. This was more a diversion, for Mika handed him the mic after dedicating "Origin of Love" to a woman named Audra, asking the man to do the honors leading to the man proposing to Audra. Although she didn't respond into the mic, it was pretty clear that it was a "yes."

Much like many songwriters, Mika has been writing for other performers, which he shares is very liberating. He said, "You feel like...I can't think of the name. Dr. Frankenstein? And these songs are monsters. There's a film in production starting next Monday, and I wrote this song for it. It's called 'Century Man,'" which turned out to be a magnetic song about a superhero.

Because he was Minneapolis, Mika couldn't go through his set without talking about Prince, saying, "I could be hopeful; I could be purple," and in his falsetto led into "Happy Ending." A singer that doesn't include an encore must be secure in the fact that they did a good enough job in their set that there is no need for more, thus he ended the evening on a song he wrote and recorded when he was just sixteen, "Over My Shoulder." Not just because he plays the piano, but his mannerisms and charm draw a parallel to American-Canadian singer, Rufus Wainwright. Both performers have a love for opera, and "Over My Shoulder" showed off Mika's expansive range and amazing control. The eerie waltz took over the stage and permeated the venue, much like how the bitter taste of a fine, red wine lingers after it's gone.

Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I don't think his full effect isn't experienced until you see his live show.

The crowd: Surprisingly young with a lot of twenty-somethings and a handful of middle-aged fans.

Random notebook dump: This show sold out in a few hours. Pretty impressive for an artist that doesn't get much, if any, radio airplay.

Setlist

Grace Kelly

Toy Boy

Lollipop

Blue Eyes

Billy Brown

Popular

Love You When I'm Drunk

Underwater

The Only Lonely One

Tap Dancing Song

Elle Me Dit (Emily)

Origin of Love

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

Stardust

Century Man

Relax (Take it Easy)

Make You Happy

Lola

Happy Ending

Over My Shoulder

This is the kind of critics review that we've been longing for, for years! T4P. It's so great!!

There's a film in production starting next Monday, and I wrote this song for it. It's called 'Century Man,'" which turned out to be a magnetic song about a superhero.

Interesting that it's only just starting production. I'm not sure if I'm sold on it being that Glenn Close movie we were discussing. I feel like there's still a possibility of it being a more indie movie that hasn't made much press yet.

Interesting that it's only just starting production. I'm not sure if I'm sold on it being that Glenn Close movie we were discussing. I feel like there's still a possibility of it being a more indie movie that hasn't made much press yet.

according to imdb,the glenn close movie is still in pre-production status and won't be released before 2014. so if he says production starts next monday,it still might be this movie. i would prefer it being some big hollywood production instead of an indie movie, as that means more people who get to hear mika's music! :wub2: he plays in that fanny ardent movie, that's enough indie for my liking. :teehee:

according to imdb,the glenn close movie is still in pre-production status and won't be released before 2014. so if he says production starts next monday,it still might be this movie. i would prefer it being some big hollywood production instead of an indie movie, as that means more people who get to hear mika's music! :wub2: he plays in that fanny ardent movie, that's enough indie for my liking. :teehee:

Indeed, it would be better exposure if it were a larger film. Although truthfully, I'm not sure the Nick Nolte + Glenn Close really qualifies as a big, popular movie and if the character is singing it, I'm not sure how many people would actually pay attention to the fact that it's Mika's song. :huh:

Have you ever seen him live?

Read that sentence again,it's also sounds wrong for me,but I've never learned English,so :dunno:

"Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I don't think his full effect isn't experienced until you see his live show."

Read that sentence again,it's also sounds wrong for me,but I've never learned English,so :dunno:

"Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I don't think his full effect isn't experienced until you see his live show."

Yeah, there seems to be one negation too much in the sentence, it should be

"Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I think his full effect isn't experienced until you see his live show."

or

"Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I don't think his full effect is experienced until you see his live show."

"Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I think his full effect isn't experienced until you see his live show."

or

"Critic's bias: I had heard Mika's music before, but I don't think his full effect is experienced until you see his live show."

Thank you! :thumb_yello: Yes,I guess that's what the critic wanted to say,but he/she got distracted by Mika's live performance :naughty:

surtoutelaligne_220x90.gif

Mika: un concert électrique

http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hmontreal/artsetspectacles/archives/2013/04/20130406-234038.html#.UWHakVKmY-E.facebook

20130406-234038-g.jpg

Sur la route depuis le 22 mars dans le cadre de sa tournée nord-américaine, le chanteur britannique survolté Mika a donné samedi soir un concert sur les planches d'un théâtre Corona Virgin plein à craquer.

La dernière fois que le public québécois avait pu applaudir «in vivo» le chanteur d’origine libanaise, c’était lors de la 29e édition de l’International de montgolfières de Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu.

Près de huit mois plus tard, Mika était de retour pour The Origin of Love, son troisième album paru le 17 septembre dernier.

Ce sont les deux musiciens qui accompagnent Mika sur scène qui ont fait office de chauffeurs de salle, rôles qu’ils ont rondement interprétés en proposant un mix digne d’un 31 décembre: un peu de tout ce qui prête à sourire et se trémousser, de Dolly Parton, en passant par le générique de Airwolf ou la musique phare du jeu vidéo Mario.

C’est dans un décor sobre et sur une mise en scène minimaliste (piano demi-queue centré sur la scène, claviéristes de chaque côté, le tout surplombé de trois installations de six lampes d’ampoules pendantes s’illuminant en fonction de l’action) que l’auteur-compositeur-interprète a fait son entrée.

Force est de constater que celui qui a fait une irruption fracassante dans le monde de la pop en 2007 avec Life In Cartoon Motion (l’album des tubes Grace Kelly, Lollipop, Relax, Take it easy et Big Girl (You are Beautiful) a toujours le même effet sur son public.

Les cris et les applaudissements sur le premier titre, Grace Kelly, ont donné au chanteur un aperçu de l’accueil que lui réservait l’auditoire pour le reste de la soirée.

Veste violette, jean serré et chapeau vissé sur la tête, Mika a poursuivi avec The Boy, Billy Brown, et Lollipop, trois titres présents sur son premier album.

Il a fallu attendre le cinquième titre pour entendre Popular Song, le premier morceau de son dernier opus à être joué samedi soir.

«Je parle en français, je chante en anglais, mais j’ai quelques paroles que l’on peut comprendre dans toutes les langues» a lancé Mika, dans un français impeccable, avant de commencer Love You When I'm Drunk, s’amusant même à remplacer «drunk» par «bourré».

Communiquant beaucoup avec le public, le chanteur a ensuite raconté sa vie d’enfant à Paris, ses cours ratés de claquettes, avant de laisser tomber la veste pour interpeller Stuck in the Middle au rythme des percussions faisant penser aux fameux souliers aux semelles de fer.

La machine à tubes a continué sur Underwater, «chanson qui appartient à Montréal», comme il l’a précisé au début de son interprétation, puisqu’il l’a composé en descendant de l’avion en arrivant dans la ville.

Just noticed that they have the wrong song title. The second song was Toy Boy. :sneaky2: And they said that these 3 songs are from his first album but it's not true, Toy Boy in on TBWKTM.

Radio Canada INTERVIEW ( audio )

http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/bouillant_de_culture/2012-2013/chronique.asp?idChronique=284461

AUDIO

http://www.radio-canada.ca/audio-video/pop.shtml#urlMedia=http://www.radio-canada.ca/Medianet/2013/CBF/BouillantDeCult

I'm sorry can't download the audio file... hope somebody could. :pray:

My friend LilStar will try to translate it soon ....

EDIT : Thanks a lot for recording and translation !! :flowers2:

DOWNLOAD LINK

http://www.mediafire.com/?l4ym597r9ipa9k4 :thumb_yello:

Could someone give a summary, please? :blush-anim-cl:

TRANSLATION

A few words about this interview :thumb_yello: (and sorry for my mistakes!)

He talked about Fanny ardant as an icon of the french cinema and how much he likes her work. He said he met her for the first time at a diner and at the end he was obsessed by her, and he created the clip with her in his head.

Then he talked about the third album and the interviewer said this one is more mature than the other ones but music is still dance. He talked about the concept of creating 14 songs about love and using this concept which is "unhip" by turning it into something funny and dark. He wanted to find a balance and to avoid something too much "candy". The interviewer said, he mixes ashes and light :wub2:

Concerning the album and the tour, he said the album is very produced, arranged, contrary to this tour which is intimate. During the festivals he's planning to do a big show so he wanted to do the opposite of this kind of shows and of the album. Why not being alone with a piano, and showing that his songs can be communicated simply with a piano and 2 musicians and it works.

Then they listend to an exctract of EMD/Emily (he said he's ashamed :aah:) in Los angeles and he talked about the fact that americans scream the lyrics in french without understanding anything. This show was crazy and magic and when he was on the piano and with 1000 people in front of him jumping and dancing, it reminded him why he's doing what he's doing.

He talked about the old songs, that he doesn't want to skip them stage, he doesn't like the concept of singing only one album. As each album is part of a period of his life, he wants to mix them all and sing songs in french.

Even in Las Vegas he can sing songs in French. And about EMD the interviewer said that it's still the french version which has the most success, he said yes and that when he sings EMD in both french and english he makes a lot of mistakes and one day he stopped singing during 5 minutes because he forgot the lyrics.

These new shows in the US are so concentrated, he can't hide behind a production, everything must come from his sincerity and his body gestural. If he wants to make dance the audience, he has to dance himself.

Then she wished him a great show but he responded that she could not tell him this, and that she knows what she has to say so he asked if we could tell this word ("Merde") on the canadian radio :aah: She told him "we all understood" :aah:

At the end he talked about the tickets that he has hidden himself in Montreal and that he was going to tweet some clues to find them. She told him she loves how he always uses a playful dimension :teehee:

Edited by Kumazzz
the link and translation have been posted to this thread

Just noticed that they have the wrong song title. The second song was Toy Boy. :sneaky2: And they said that these 3 songs are from his first album but it's not true, Toy Boy in on TBWKTM.

Toy Boy first came out on Songs of Sorrow :blush-anim-cl:

or

Precisely. Thanks.

And, btw.

Have you ever seen him live?

Yes, I have. Twice.

I also got it only at the second reading :doh:

Too much MIKA stuff lateley :naughty: I got it at the first place, and see it positive - the journalist is right :thumb_yello: I think everybody who loves music should experience him live - "a human right", hehe :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me