Katy Perry

Ioana

bez u know my opinion in general

But this time seriously,how low can the Sun get? That pic is at least 2 years old...how did they decide to make a random connection to Katy now? :blink:

I dont know , i was just at the paper shop and thought you might be interested :naughty: I wasnt sure if it was a new picture or not , i guessed it was new if its only being brought to attention now , if not the connection by the sun is lameeee :thumbdown:

Shes been taken over from front page now anyway , ive just been watching the morning programme "this morning" and kerry catona was high as a kite !! :shocked: ... she made front page news of the sun within an hour !!

Edited by mikas_gal07

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bez u know my opinion in general

But this time seriously,how low can the Sun get? That pic is at least 2 years old...how did they decide to make a random connection to Katy now? :blink:

I was about to say the exact same thing.

WTF!? :blink:

:shocked: I don't get it either. I mean what on earth does Katy have do to with this story? :boxed:

Media is most random at times. Taking that pic out of its context is simply stupid. But I guess it's not worth getting angry about it - it's just the SUN after all...so what do we expect? Or: What can we expect? As if...

sorry but I have to say even if it is an old pic posing with a knife is NOT clever at all :thumbdown: and I thought she might be good (how wrong was i?)

I'm not a fan of Katy, and I think the picture is ill-advised and in poor taste

BUT

The fact is, the picture is old, and seems to have been rejected by Katy or her management - who must have had second thoughts, or better ideas, or whatever.

The Sun, however, are complete hypocrites - very few people would have seen that picture if they hadn't dragged it from the depths of the internet, plastered it all over the front page and related it to a current tragedy. The story has been picked up by other media, giving the picture a much wider circulation than it would otherwise have had. If anyone finds that picture cool, and is inspired to carry a knife as a result, it is entirely due to The Sun.

And on top of that, someone waves the picture at Damilola Taylor's dad, in order to get an angry quote from him. As if that familiy hadn't had enough to put up with, without being pointlessly wound up by The Sun.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

rant over :bleh:

BUT

The fact is, the picture is old, and seems to have been rejected by Katy or her management - who must have had second thoughts, or better ideas, or whatever.

The Sun, however, are complete hypocrites - very few people would have seen that picture if they hadn't dragged it from the depths of the internet, plastered it all over the front page and related it to a current tragedy. The story has been picked up by other media, giving the picture a much wider circulation than it would otherwise have had. If anyone finds that picture cool, and is inspired to carry a knife as a result, it is entirely due to The Sun.

And on top of that, someone waves the picture at Damilola Taylor's dad, in order to get an angry quote from him. As if that familiy hadn't had enough to put up with, without being pointlessly wound up by The Sun.

true it is rediculous that they did that

theres this story as well , its about the knife and people hating katy perry, and her making knives glam. at the moment i think its worse with people glamorising guns. what could be worse than people glamorising guns? (like in movies ad that...)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1840286.ece

theres this story as well , its about the knife and people hating katy perry, and her making knives glam. at the moment i think its worse with people glamorising guns. what could be worse than people glamorising guns? (like in movies ad that...)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1840286.ece

well , knife crime is the worst ever in this country ... so in this country knives are worse than guns :thumbdown:

BUT

I'm a fan :bleh: But apart from that, I agree 100% on all points :thumb_yello: Or perhaps I should say: :thumbdown:

I think the picture is juvenile, not "wrong" or "bad" but I also love knives. And I think there's nothing wrong with that: knives are very pretty, they're useful tools, and they can be works of art. Glamorizing knives the way that Katy was holding one there is no different than glamorizing "secret spies" or ninjas or whatever. Lots of actors and models pose in "sexy dangerous secret agent" set-ups, and we have plenty of movies and tv shows with "sexy-yet-dangerous" characters, and yet no one complains about those.

Violence has always had a sort of romanticism, there's certainly a fantasy associated with it. It doesn't become a problem unless the fantasy crosses over to reality. Katy's picture was firmly in the land of fantasy--the knife was obviously nothing more than a prop. And knives are far harder to use as killing weapons than guns (or at all--they require the kind of immediacy and intimacy with the fight and the opponent that guns don't, and that would deter many people), so I think posing with a knife in a photo is significantly different than posing with a gun.

--Jack

well , knife crime is the worst ever in this country ... so in this country knives are worse than guns :thumbdown:

Quite

Perhaps it's unfair to criticise Katy, an American, for doing something American MFCers seem to think is uncontroversial, but it's equally unfair to blame the Sun for commenting from a UK point of view.

I guess a lot depends on to what extent you think fantasy leads to action. I think there's enough of a link for the picture to be a bad move, although in this case the sort of knife crimes that occurring are of a thuggish "he was in my way..." sort, rather than the "pretty girl at knifepoint" sort, so I don't think it applies.

Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with context. I rather hate guns, and of course in the US we have a fair amount of gun crime, but I don't mind, say, "sexy" photos of an actor dressed in an expensive black suit and brandishing some James Bond-style sleek and almost sci-fi gun. Same as I don't mind a photo of someone in western wear with some vintage revolvers. Both glamorize violence certainly, but both are fantasy, and are sexy not so much due to the guns as to tapping into a cultural archetype.

I would have a different reaction to a photo of a person in just, say, underwear/lingerie holding a (realistic) gun, because that just says "guns are sexy." Or a photo of someone in modern urban wear with a gun, or of someone in a hunting outfit with a rifle, etc. Because that's less painting a story and more saying "this thing that a lot of people are in fact doing is cool."

I think Katy's photo doesn't bother me because she looks like she has no idea what she's doing with that knife. :naughty: So it doesn't seem particularly menacing or like she'd ever use it to do anything but clean her nails.

--Jack

Quite

Perhaps it's unfair to criticise Katy, an American, for doing something American MFCers seem to think is uncontroversial, but it's equally unfair to blame the Sun for commenting from a UK point of view.

I guess a lot depends on to what extent you think fantasy leads to action. I think there's enough of a link for the picture to be a bad move, although in this case the sort of knife crimes that occurring are of a thuggish "he was in my way..." sort, rather than the "pretty girl at knifepoint" sort, so I don't think it applies.

Hi SS - I'm not really criticising Katy - after all, she doesn't seem to have used the picture much - and, as JackViolet rightly points out, it doesn't look as though Katy knows how to use the knife anyway.

If The Sun wants to campaign against knife crime, then fine - it a big issue, particularly in London. But to use the issue to take a pop at Katy, because she is current news, and to wind up the parents of the victims in this way in the process is just cynical exploitation of the issue to sell newspapers. The Sun is just nasty :thumbdown:

Not been on for a couple of weeks, and looking at how heavy it seems to be at the moment, wasn't sure if it had been posted that Katy is hosting the EMAs.

I just saw the trailer on TMF, of her being told, and she looks shocked, but its really sweet that she got so excited about it too.