Katy Perry

Ioana

Why does every flippin song that has been released in the past year have exactly the same formula??? From the most crap singer to traditional singer/songwriters to the 90s divas - they all use Auto Tune, some old rehashed beat (from Ibiza circa 2000, yes!) and some guy rapping nonsense in the middle.

COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW ALREADY!!! :aah: :aah: :aah:

Because they are using the same producers :naughty:

I always considered auto tune is for the ones who can not really sing and they don't bother to use real instruments instead :blink:

There is another song leaked called E.T and it also contains auto tune stuff

I hope the songs produced by Greg Wells will be much better

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always considered auto tune is for the ones who can not really sing and they don't bother to use real instruments instead :blink:

It's just sad to realize that these artists aren't much in the way of artists but just the byproducts of unimaginative producers. Like you said autotune is for people who can't sing. Why is everyone doing it?

At least people like Greg Wells and Mark Ronson can bring out the best in talented singers and songwriters. Why are these other no-talented producers dominating popular music today?

Agreed. Underwhelmed with the new single. Stoopid lyrics and awful electro stuff...but I can see is aiming for a market that doesn't include my demographic:teehee:

But I do love that bra she is wearing and the blue hair.:wub2:

Oh yes, for sure, she always looks gorgeous, which is half the reason why she's so popular in the first place.

I was a Katy fan before she came out with the first album, so I really do like her stuff, but many people jumped on the bandwagon just based solely on an image thing, when she brought her first album out and they saw her.

What can you do though, it's the world that we live in I guess, where image and attractiveness account for so much :dunno:

It's just sad to realize that these artists aren't much in the way of artists but just the byproducts of unimaginative producers. Like you said autotune is for people who can't sing. Why is everyone doing it?

At least people like Greg Wells and Mark Ronson can bring out the best in talented singers and songwriters. Why are these other no-talented producers dominating popular music today?

Easy answer: because a large part of the "masses" consuming it are mindless morons, what other reason could there be? :aah:

Easy answer: because a large part of the "masses" consuming it are mindless morons, what other reason could there be? :aah:

Hasn't that been the case with the masses since the dawn of time though? I mean if they were so smart they would not be at the bottom of the pyramid. :mf_rosetinted:

I read an article the other day about why the flooding in Tennessee was being ignored by the media in favour of a couple of other stories that were dominating the news instead. They were talking about how everyone is just generally bandwagon jumping as far as news reporting goes and it turns into a self-fulfilling cycle. Media see other media talking about it so they decide it must be an important story and eventually it is an important story because it's all over the news so it's the only thing people are reading about and discussing.

Somewhere along the line someone decided that this music is good (and I even liked GaGa's Let's Dance for instance), but media, radio stations, record producers, record labels and even the artists themselves have decided that this is what people want to hear because it was successful once and got a lot of attention. And what choice does anyone have if they are mainstream pop listeners and are used to discovering music through mainstream outlets? This is all that's out there.

If you're a Katy Perry fan and this is what Katy Perry is doing what else are you going to buy? Her teenage American fans are probably not going to run out and buy a Rufus Wainwright album because there's no autotuned vocals or random rapping in the middle.

They're doing it because it is in fashion and for money in most of the cases .

Talking about auto tune Marina and the diamonds wrote about it on her blog

http://www.marinaandthediamonds.com/blog,regurgitate_80.htm

i just heard about her.. wierd that you posted that, she's in Teen Vogue this month. :aah:

I really like California Gurls though.. :teehee:

I love Marina :fangurl:

And yeah....Katy Perry needs to go away. I'm so sick of these female pop artists relying on their looks to sell their music. :hair:

Okay so it's not my imagination. Everyone is noticing it/hating it. :naughty:

When is there going to be a revolt against this sh*t. :aah:

I mean seriously, pop music has never been in such a sorry state.

I still like the song. Not a fan of autotuning though but I still like Katy and I know she can really sing...unlike Kesha:aah:

I think I have to see Katy live, because everytime I've seen her perform (on TV, Youtube etc) she sounds like sh*t.

If everything you produce turns gold, you must be talented in a way, especially if you can do it for a long time. Most of the currently popular music producers have been on the music scene for at least 15 years. That is an achievement but more like an achievement in business rather than art.. :cool:

These songs are fun to listen to occasionally but when they dominate the charts in the long run, you can’t help losing your faith in pop music… :emot-sad:.

And that is why I was so :shocked: when I heard Mika choose Ace of Base as one of his favourite records on NYE…:aah: If I see Max Martin's or Dr Luke's name on his third album Mika will meet a very different Suzie at gigs:sneaky2: :glasses3:

I mean seriously, pop music has never been in such a sorry state.

I have no measure to compare the different eras of pop music but I felt in a similar way at the end of nineties-early noughties, too… and the end of eighties when Stock-Aitken-Waterman productions ruled the charts…

It seems that once someone discovers the magic formula everyone tries to expoit it as much as possible before people literally get sick of it. The difference nowadays probably is that while the SAW producer trio were frowned upon by the ’serious’ press and musicians in the eighties, record companies nowadays seem to expect and even force their artists to work with these ’songwriters’ / producers. And it is probably because the major names in the music business today (I am not even calling them artists) are fully incapable of writing music (or are not allowed to do so?) . They simply give their voice and face to a song that is put together by trendy producers. And the audience should feel lucky if it is both a voice and a face and not simply a face+ Photoshop + autotune :mf_rosetinted: (does anyone remember that funny video clip on autotuning that Christine once posted on MFC last year?….:lmfao:)

And yeah....Katy Perry needs to go away. I'm so sick of these female pop artists relying on their looks to sell their music. :hair:

I don’t mind it at all that Katy Perry is using her looks to help sell music but funnily enough, I can’t tell how talented she is.:dunno: The songs I heard from her before One of the Boys was released gave me the impression that she was a good lyricist but her songs lacked a catchy melody. She did seem very determined already and the camera loved her. Yet, I never thought she’d make it with the image that was a cross between Alanis Morisette and Avril Lavigne. Then suddenly she became an overnight sensation with those catchy songs ’I Kissed a Girl’ and Hot’n’Cold with videos in which she played the irrestistable princess. It was suddenly impossible not to notice her – either the vision or the sound. I thought it perfectly justified that she made the compromises she needed to make in order to make it in the world of pop. However, I don’t accept that with the second album, she’d need to go even further in these compromises if she realises at all that her new single is merely the 223rd version of the prototype and its success will have absolutely nothing to do with her.

Edited by suzie

I think, the problem is, that she wants to go do it more "Gagaish" with the electro sound. I think most female artists are afraid of Lady Gaga because naturally what she does is framazing:aah:

But I will always have a weak spot for Katy, even though I think the songs are less good than One of the Boys...sometimes listening to mindless music can be quite refreshing:naughty:

I think, the problem is, that she wants to go do it more "Gagaish" with the electro sound. I think most female artists are afraid of Lady Gaga because naturally what she does is framazing:aah:

But I will always have a weak spot for Katy, even though I think the songs are less good than One of the Boys...sometimes listening to mindless music can be quite refreshing:naughty:

I agree. :original:

I love Katy and GaGa :wub2: I think they're both creative and amazing artists. :wub2:

For the record,I can listen to "California gurls" ,but it's more of a background noise,and it's just "another one of many" that sound the same. I must say tho,we europeans are pretty badass,since everyone is trying to get our sound :lmao: ...even if our sound tends to be utter crap most of the time. but hey,don't mess with the doped up Ibiza masses

I was a Katy fan before she came out with the first album, so I really do like her stuff, but many people jumped on the bandwagon just based solely on an image thing, when she brought her first album out and they saw her.

What can you do though, it's the world that we live in I guess, where image and attractiveness account for so much :dunno:

I kinda stopped being a Katy fan when all the world became a Katy fan. I used to like her 3 years ago,even 2 years ago...but then it all started going south. and this is the ultimate result.

people who are more unknown will put more authenticity in their work than the ones who need to maintain their "chart topper" status and resort to all sorts of means ,which in the end will degrade the music quality.

I just tubed that E.T thing...it's pretty sad how autotuned it is. Either her smoking left her with no voice ( ok,she wasn't Maria Callas to begin with but still) or she is using it for all the stupid reasons

It's sad that the auto tune is so obvious,because you instantly assume you're dealing with someone who is incapable of singing two notes straight

This is why i still put up with you,you're clever :mf_rosetinted:

people who are more unknown will put more authenticity in their work than the ones who need to maintain their "chart topper" status and resort to all sorts of means ,which in the end will degrade the music quality.

:blink:sorry, I diagree with logic.

In my opinion, the reasoning - using your own words - should go as follows: musicians who put more authenticity to their work rarely gain a "chart topper" status. No one is forcing Katy Perry to 'resort to all sorts of means' to retain position in the charts. It is 'artists' whose only goal is to become and remain famous, who choose this way to stay in the business.

However, that's fair enough, if she has nothing else to express. I am absolutely sure she will make millions of people happy with that 3-minute summer song.

As for me, I'd prefer to hear songs like 'Lost' on her new album (and witty lyrics, of course. )

In my opinion, the reasoning - using your own words - should go as follows: musicians who put more authenticity to their work rarely gain a "chart topper" status. No one is forcing Katy Perry to 'resort to all sorts of means' to retain position in the charts. It is 'artists' whose only goal is to become and remain famous, who choose this way to stay in the business.

However, that's fair enough, if she has nothing else to express. I am absolutely sure she will make millions of people happy with that 3-minute summer song.

As for me, I'd prefer to hear songs like 'Lost' on her new album (and witty lyrics, of course. )

the logic is quite easy. either you're a sell-out from the get-go,or not and you become one. i was being specific in Katy's case. have you heard her early stuff? more honest and authentic. even "one of the boys" as an album is authentic. she got high,she doesn't wanna go low. thus "all sorts of means" to stay there. you lose priorities and suddenly the status outweighs the music.

I am not talking about the morons whose sole goal in life is to get famous. those people have below zero importance to me. she actually was about the music at one point, and now,not so much.

1. SHOW WITH MIKA...4.25.07... SO MUCH FUN. Thanks for everyone who came and didn't throw rotten tomatoes at my during my premire of the song "Gay." I love my little Mika... I wished him fame for his birthday... and well if you haven't heard him... you should check my top 20. Freddie Mercury reborn with a twist of flamin! We were gonna get married... but um.

:lmfao:

Has anyone ever called her fan number? :teehee:

it has a chatline. :aah:

Well, songs like I Kissed A Girl were certainly not that deep either.

1. SHOW WITH MIKA...4.25.07... SO MUCH FUN. Thanks for everyone who came and didn't throw rotten tomatoes at my during my premire of the song "Gay." I love my little Mika... I wished him fame for his birthday... and well if you haven't heard him... you should check my top 20. Freddie Mercury reborn with a twist of flamin! We were gonna get married... but um.

:lmfao:

Has anyone ever called her fan number? :teehee:

it has a chatline. :aah:

Yeah reading their comments on each other's myspace in the early days, they defo were having erm...fun together:aah:

Well, songs like I Kissed A Girl were certainly not that deep either.

Yeah reading their comments on each other's myspace in the early days, they defo were having erm...fun together:aah:

Those were the days :wub2:

YEAH! I FOUND THOSE a few months ago. :lmfao: :lmfao:

I'm guessing Mika got that tattoo removed. :mf_rosetinted::fisch: