The Oldlings Thread (Part 7)!!!

dcdeb

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, never thought of that. But, in America, we really don't have freedom of speech anymore. We are told we do; however, we do not. You see, the Government is afraid that if you say Merry Christmas to someone, you may offend them and you may get sued for it. (Christ is in Christmas and if you say it to someone non-christian, they may take it wrong) So, we aren't allowed to say it. So, we have been mandated to say Happy Holidays instead.

EDITED TO SAY: I work for the Government....just can't say it in the workplace and I know many businesses will not allow their employees to say Merry Christmas either. However, we are allowed to say it outside of our workplaces though. So, on public forums, I say Happy Holidays but to friends and family, I say "MERRY CHRISTMAS".

Does that help?

So, is that really an American thing? Runs off to the internet now. :naughty: Oh, wait, I'm here...runs off to google.

Really? :blink: I didn't realize that wishing someone a 'Merry Christmas' could be taken as offensive... :shocked: Thank you for the explanation anyway! :thumb_yello:

Google, that's a good idea! I just checked Wikipedia, this is what it says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_holiday_greetings

Happy Holidays

"Happy Holidays" is a seasonal greeting common in the United States and Canada, and is typically used during the holiday season. "Holiday" is derived from Middle English holidai meaning "holy day"[2]. It is used as an inclusive greeting during the holiday season around Christmas to those who do not celebrate it, but instead other winter holidays like Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

In the United States, it can have several variations and meanings:

As "Happy Holiday", an English translation of the Hebrew Hag Sameach greeting on Passover, Sukkot and Shavuot

As "Happy Holiday", a substitution for "Merry Christmas"

As "Happy Holidays", a collective and inclusive wish for the period encompassing Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the Winter solstice, Christmas and the New Year

In the United States, "Happy Holidays" (along with the similarly generalized "Season's Greetings") has become the common greeting in the public sphere within the past decade, such as department stores, public schools and greeting cards.

Advocates of the phrase view it as an inclusive and inoffensive phrase that does not give precedence to one religion or occasion. Critics view it as an insipid alternative to "Merry Christmas", and view it as diminishing the role of Christianity in Christmas, or part of an alleged secular "War on Christmas". Others consider the controversy to be itself hysterical.[3]

A popular commercial variant is depicted in Honda ads that air during the holiday season. The automaker uses the slogan "Happy Honda Days", as wordplay on the phrase.

"Happy Holiday" is also the name of a popular song by Irving Berlin.

morning

kath...you said you didn't want to be here today...so you were here last night!!!:naughty: this is cheating!

good day everyone, thanks for the nice words about son...and blue, yes, i think he would like to be in a blue lagoon with evie! :naughty:

OH god no - they ended up having a baby!!! AM toooo young to be a grand ma!!

I'm impressed! people are behaving and keeping out! Well done! I am just here to check on you all you understand!!

Jake went to pick a lady up from the maernity hospital yesterday, she has named her baby Hugo Boss. Words fail me really!

YOu are seriously not seriuos are you??

Hmm, never thought of that. But, in America, we really don't have freedom of speech anymore. We are told we do; however, we do not. You see, the Government is afraid that if you say Merry Christmas to someone, you may offend them and you may get sued for it. (Christ is in Christmas and if you say it to someone non-christian, they may take it wrong) So, we aren't allowed to say it. So, we have been mandated to say Happy Holidays instead.

EDITED TO SAY: I work for the Government....just can't say it in the workplace and I know many businesses will not allow their employees to say Merry Christmas either. However, we are allowed to say it outside of our workplaces though. So, on public forums, I say Happy Holidays but to friends and family, I say "MERRY CHRISTMAS".

Does that help?

So, is that really an American thing? Runs off to the internet now. :naughty: Oh, wait, I'm here...runs off to google.

The worlds gone mad

Charlotte - just for your bosses: HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!:biggrin2: :biggrin2:

OH god no - they ended up having a baby!!! AM toooo young to be a grand ma!!

Speaking of babies: I came across the waiting room at my local doctor today when a birth announcement card caught my eye. It said 'Mika', a little boy born in November. Next to it was another card that said 'Micah', a baby born in December. :naughty:

Nice names. :naughty:

Quick drop in -- still am not here!

Really? :blink: I didn't realize that wishing someone a 'Merry Christmas' could be taken as offensive... :shocked: Thank you for the explanation anyway! :thumb_yello:

While I wouldn't go as far as Charlotte and say we don't have free

speech here, I will agree that "Happy Holidays" is a term we've adopted

to be more inclusive. For instance, I have several Jewish friends,

several Indian friends (and I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if they're

Hindu or Muslim or...?) and a few who don't have any religious affiliation.

Merry Christmas seems inappropriate to them, but yet, they still

are celebrating this time of year -- with days off, visiting family, etc.

So Happy Holidays seems to fit the bill. I think it probably is very

American, as we do try so hard to be politically correct, don't we? :biggrin2:

OH god no - they ended up having a baby!!! AM toooo young to be a grand ma!

Like Britney Spears 16-year-old sister! Did you hear about that? She's

pregnant, by her 19-year-old boyfriend, and is going to keep the baby.

What a family.

OK, that's my allotted time for now... back to doing what I'm supposed

to be doing! :)

dcdeb

Hey Deb, Yeah, that's why I said I work for the Gov't. I have no freedom of speech. I mean, you even get scared to say Happy Holidays to some people. :boxed: It get's ridiculous but, I understand if some do not celebrate..but, I do and I should be allowed to say Merry Christmas if I want.

I said it to one of my co-workers the other day, who is Christian, and someone in the hall said, "Oh, you know you aren't allowed to say that."

My friend said, "You can say it if you know the person won't get offended." And, then, that other person said, "yes, but I am offended, so you can't say it." I mean, it wasn't even directed at the person..it's just them hearing Christmas that got them all upset.

So, I guess that's why I feel like we have lost our freedom of speech. :thumbdown:

Quick drop in -- still am not here!

While I wouldn't go as far as Charlotte and say we don't have free

speech here, I will agree that "Happy Holidays" is a term we've adopted

to be more inclusive. For instance, I have several Jewish friends,

several Indian friends (and I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if they're

Hindu or Muslim or...?) and a few who don't have any religious affiliation.

Merry Christmas seems inappropriate to them, but yet, they still

are celebrating this time of year -- with days off, visiting family, etc.

So Happy Holidays seems to fit the bill. I think it probably is very

American, as we do try so hard to be politically correct, don't we? :biggrin2:

What a family.

OK, that's my allotted time for now... back to doing what I'm supposed

to be doing! :)

dcdeb

What a family.

NOOOOOOO!!! Hadnt heard that - but just told Evie and her friend who is hear for a sleep over - hence I am already on the wine - amd they said - yeah - old news mum!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6EElqrgk4N0

I thought this would make you all smile, given that most of us have been ill recently. I WAS better, until I woke this morning with conjunctivitis AGAIN and am feeling very chesty. I think it's starting again!

Will refrain from phoning 999 though! :biggrin2:

OOOh how true!!

Hey Deb, Yeah, that's why I said I work for the Gov't. I have no freedom of speech. I mean, you even get scared to say Happy Holidays to some people. :boxed: It get's ridiculous but, I understand if some do not celebrate..but, I do and I should be allowed to say Merry Christmas if I want.

I said it to one of my co-workers the other day, who is Christian, and someone in the hall said, "Oh, you know you aren't allowed to say that."

My friend said, "You can say it if you know the person won't get offended." And, then, that other person said, "yes, but I am offended, so you can't say it." I mean, it wasn't even directed at the person..it's just them hearing Christmas that got them all upset.

So, I guess that's why I feel like we have lost our freedom of speech. :thumbdown:

Out pffice is so unpc now - its quite funny - but all very hush hush in case we get busted!!!:wink2:

Hi everyone! Quite a bit of activity in here today...good to be able to catch up and see what you have all been chatting about!

Allegra............WELCOME! Brilliant to see you in here! (at last!)

Yes, we were in the States for Christmas three years ago and it was all Happy Holidays...happens a little bit over here but I think most people are clingling onto Happy/Merry Christmas!

Sadly Carri I am DEADLY serious about the babies name..beyond belief..Hugo Boss Wong.

Had a text from Wendi. She had been headache free this morning! It had returned this afternoon but she was delighted that she had had a 'break'! She still does not seem to have received the flowers which is a little worrying...I hope they arrive tomorrow. Jemma has finished the get well book and got it posted off so that should be with Wendi tomorrow.

Nah...don't fancy the complex ones...the simple ones are bad enough!

BTW...for when Robi comes in...........She had text Wendi today and got her very confused about Herpes! I think I managed to put her mind at rest! She said 'Robi said 'don't text back but I'm all confused'' Poor Wendi!

well its often something I use in everyday conversation...

actually with the young lads in my office that and other STDs often come up in discussion . . .

I'm sure. Would cause quite a stir in our office..mind you..most things do!

Deb........when you return! Sorry, forgot to answer your post about the gigs. I am glad that you can make the NYC gig. I know what you mean about wanting to go to lots more....but it just isn't practical is it on a financial or marital level as you say. I have to admit, I have never been one for 'If I win the lottery.........' Until now....and NOW..............'If I win the lottery (which I don't actually do)....I would go to lots of Mika gigs!

oooh no our office is v cosmopolitan - I have the dates of one lads girls period in my diary -we were so convinced she was trying to get pregnant on purpose!!

Sounds much more fun than our office..which wouldn't actually take much doing of course! I loved where I worked beofre...for 13 years....I have been in this job 2 and a half years now...............snore

We have a good lot in our team now . . . . and I am quite maternal about them - being the only girl - and older!

Got room for me? Not that I would know what I was doing of course but I have always been interested in buildings...will that do?

Got room for me? Not that I would know what I was doing of course but I have always been interested in buildings...will that do?

oooh yeah - that would be a giggle - could talk about Mika without getting raised eyebrows and comments about his sexuality!! :shocked: (shhh!)