A Mika Excuse... The Daily Telegraph, AUS

Rainbow Sky

A MIKA EXCUSE

Kathy McCabe

The Daily Telegraph

December 20, 2007

Mika isn’t coming for V Festival now. A brief slump in disappointment quickly turned to anger after reading the official statement attempting to excuse his withdrawal.

“He will unfortunately be unable to perform at the V Festival in Australia due to conflicts that have recently arisen with the production schedule for the recording of his follow-up album. In an attempt to create the best album possible for fans, Mika will need additional time to record in London.”

What a load of excrement. Are Mika’s reps so disorganised they double-booked him to perform at a major music festival at the same time he is supposed to be in a London studio? I don’t think so.

Those who were beyond excited about seeing Mika back in action in Oz deserve the truth, instead of the trite scheduling conflict excuse from his minders overseas.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh... pretty harsh. Is that an editorial or letter to the editor, RS?

Just curious what part of the paper that was in...

dcdeb

I couldn't find it on the internet sorry.

It was written by one of the entertainment reporters/editors (?), Kathy McCabe in the "Sydney Live" entertainment section of the paper.

I couldn't find it on the internet sorry.

It was written by one of the entertainment reporters/editors (?), Kathy McCabe in the "Sydney Live" entertainment section of the paper.

Thanks, Rainbow -- I can understand the disappointment, I would

be crushed if he cancelled a show I was planning to go to. :(

I was just surprised at how bitter she sounded.

Journalists are supposed to be a little more

objective, I thought -- that's why I wondered if it was a letter from an

upset fan. I guess journalists can be fans, too.

dcdeb

Thanks, Rainbow -- I can understand the disappointment, I would

be crushed if he cancelled a show I was planning to go to. :(

I was just surprised at how bitter she sounded.

Journalists are supposed to be a little more

objective, I thought -- that's why I wondered if it was a letter from an

upset fan. I guess journalists can be fans, too.

dcdeb

I think the journalists here tend to say exactly how they feel... no beating around the bush, so to speak.

I do agree though that it sounds a little more personal for her... either she is one of those "beyond excited about seeing Mika back in action in Oz", or she has been around several people who have expressed their bitterness in the cancellation.

I don't think this was just piss poor scheduling on the part of Mika and his management. I'm sure it's an indirect result of the postponed gigs in London.

If he hadn't been sick he'd have another two weeks to work on the album once he got back from N. America but they've probably pushed back the date of going into the studio until the 1st of March now.

I know it blows but what can you do? He was not capable of performing in London - of that I'm sure. And I'm guessing it was a choice between:

1. Putting off London fans for almost a year after they purchased their tickets.
  2. Cancelling studio time and having Mika waste a month doing nothing - not to mention putting off the album release and inconveniencing or even losing musicians, engineers and producers.
  3. Pulling out of some festivals and doing a proper Australia tour later.

I can understand why they chose the latter. I know it doesn't change the end result or make people feel better, but I don't think the anger and blaming Mika and his management for being incompetent jerks is really warranted. It's an unfortunate situation but one of these choices had to be made due to circumstances that were pretty much beyond Mika's control or at the very least not what he intended.

We've all been there and I think with one or two exceptions all the cancellations we've suffered in the past year have been a direct or indirect result of him having some kind of respiratory infection that compromises his voice. Unless he starts living his life in a plastic bubble we're probably going to see it happen in the future no matter how angry people get about it. It's just something we need to accept or move on and forget about being a die hard fan and seeing him live.

but am I the only one who didn't know he was going to record the album so soon? :blink:

I think there was some rumourish type news report a few weeks back that he would release a new album in February which I thought was absurd because it could never happen that quickly.

But it sounds like he planned to start recording in February before they had to reschedule the gigs in London for the end of the month.

I think there was some rumourish type news report a few weeks back that he would release a new album in February which I thought was absurd because it could never happen that quickly.

But it sounds like he planned to start recording in February before they had to reschedule the gigs in London for the end of the month.

thanks for answering. I think I read that news report, but I kinda thought it was off again since he was gonna keep touring. and on that radio1 thing last week he didn't really answer the question about the 2nd album so I figured it wouldn't be anytime soon.

apparently he'll always be full of surpises for us :roftl:

thanks for answering. I think I read that news report, but I kinda thought it was off again since he was gonna keep touring. and on that radio1 thing last week he didn't really answer the question about the 2nd album so I figured it wouldn't be anytime soon.

apparently he'll always be full of surpises for us :roftl:

Sounds to me like the whole thing has been up in the air as to whether he was going to do the album before or after Australia. Mellody was getting conflicting answers from his manager and Luke about it and I'm sure the indecision was compounded by the postponements.

There may have been all kinds of other factors we know nothing about. Maybe they were considering squeezing some Asian dates into early March or something and it didn't pan out so they had to go back to the album.

Maybe the record company or funding issues kept things hanging and once it was decided he needed to record before Australia Mika balked because he knew he wouldn't have time to do the work he needs to do.

Maybe Greg Wells or someone else he needs would not be available later and they needed to do it sooner.

Whatever the reasons I'm sure it wasn't a matter of Mika having nothing better to do than jerk everyone around.

It's just too bad this wasn't his tour instead of some festival dates and perhaps things could have been rescheduled fairly quickly without causing a lot of upset.

Sounds to me like the whole thing has been up in the air as to whether he was going to do the album before or after Australia. Mellody was getting conflicting answers from his manager and Luke about it and I'm sure the indecision was compounded by the postponements.

There may have been all kinds of other factors we know nothing about. Maybe they were considering squeezing some Asian dates into early March or something and it didn't pan out so they had to go back to the album.

Maybe the record company or funding issues kept things hanging and once it was decided he needed to record before Australia Mika balked because he knew he wouldn't have time to do the work he needs to do.

Maybe Greg Wells or someone else he needs would not be available later and they needed to do it sooner.

Whatever the reasons I'm sure it wasn't a matter of Mika having nothing better to do than jerk everyone around.

It's just too bad this wasn't his tour instead of some festival dates and perhaps things could have been rescheduled fairly quickly without causing a lot of upset.

yeah it's a pity :boxed:

it all makes sense, it's not easy to plan mika's schedule :boxed:

Thanks Christine.. I have to say I am sick of hearing 'look on the bright side at least.... blah blah blah'

It was good to get someone's opinion that has been in this situation and can dissect the possibilities for us .. sooo.. :huglove::naughty:

They are all really valide points and this is probably the case.

I think we WERE lucky it was just festival dates, as the enitre TOUR may have been cancelled if it was happening, and that would have been even more heartbreaking.

They are all really valide points and this is probably the case.

I think we WERE lucky it was just festival dates, as the enitre TOUR may have been cancelled if it was happening, and that would have been even more heartbreaking.

Yes, but concerts would have been more likely to be postponed/rescheduled, or have a higher chance of getting a refund.

So while it would be more disappointing, we would more likely know when he was coming back.

At least thats my view.

:thumbdown: to the whole situation anyway

Thanks Christine.. I have to say I am sick of hearing 'look on the bright side at least.... blah blah blah'

It was good to get someone's opinion that has been in this situation and can dissect the possibilities for us .. sooo.. :huglove::naughty:

:naughty: Even though it's happened to me I'm still a bit hesitant to weigh in on this situation because I'm in a different place than people who've just had a show cancelled for the first time. I don't want to begrudge people their right to feel disappointed but after everything that's happened the past year I think it's pointless to feel bitter and angry about it for any length of time.

Unlike during the summer, Mika's camp is now offering proper and timely explanations and we told them in writing that's what we wanted in order to be somewhat understanding about any cancellations.

Except for his 11th hour cancellation at Hammersmith they're probably not going to reveal every factor involved in one of these decisions, but we just have to trust to some degree that the reasons aren't frivolous and thoughtless.

I don't think Mika takes these things lightly. Even if he wasn't that bothered in terms of being empathetic towards his fans, he's smart enough to know he needs to keep them happy and this kind of thing is bad for his reputation. He busts his ass all year going the extra mile to please fans and keeping his nose clean with the press. He knows how quickly it can all unravel when a cancellation occurs.

Unless people want to make themselves crazy over it, it's just something we have to accept on some level because this isn't the last time he's going to cancel a gig.

:naughty: Even though it's happened to me I'm still a bit hesitant to weigh in on this situation because I'm in a different place than people who've just had a show cancelled for the first time. I don't want to begrudge people their right to feel disappointed but after everything that's happened the past year I think it's pointless to feel bitter and angry about it for any length of time.

Unlike during the summer, Mika's camp is now offering proper and timely explanations and we told them in writing that's what we wanted in order to be somewhat understanding about any cancellations.

Except for his 11th hour cancellation at Hammersmith they're probably not going to reveal every factor involved in one of these decisions, but we just have to trust to some degree that the reasons aren't frivolous and thoughtless.

I don't think Mika takes these things lightly. Even if he wasn't that bothered in terms of being empathetic towards his fans, he's smart enough to know he needs to keep them happy and this kind of thing is bad for his reputation. He busts his ass all year going the extra mile to please fans and keeping his nose clean with the press. He knows how quickly it can all unravel when a cancellation occurs.

Unless people want to make themselves crazy over it, it's just something we have to accept on some level because this isn't the last time he's going to cancel a gig.

We do have to be prepared for the cancellation aspects.. it's such a pity, but alot of artists do it.. although I am not sure they do it this often..

And I hope Mika is smart enough to know this has pissed us off, and the sooner we know when he'll be here the better. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, Australians can be rather :thumb_yello: then :thumbdown: quickly.... (IMHO)..

I think I'll be over it soon.. It hasn't altered my life much.. I was looking forward to meeting up with the others again though.. Us Mikamites still plan on meeting up around that time - with or without a Mika Gig.. So the bond was formed.. and that's is more important to me..

I don't feel you are begrudging us in any way, I just know the 'bright side' comment is something I reach at my own pace rather than being told to do it.. And when you pointed out things I had not yet considered entirely it was great, because it helped me get over the fact it felt like we were being disregarded and wiped off the list. So thank you.

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.. and It's not really even about seeing Mika live, it was about catching up with the others more than anything.. Afterall, they are the ones I'd be having the most fun with :naughty:

Agree with Christine. I think as far as festival cancellation excuses go, this is an entirely probable one. Because of his having to reschedule his London shows, and because of the possibility of other factors having nothing to do with him. Needing more time, for whatever reason that could come up, seems quite probable and entirely legit.

--Jack

Agree with Christine. I think as far as festival cancellation excuses go, this is an entirely probable one. Because of his having to reschedule his London shows, and because of the possibility of other factors having nothing to do with him. Needing more time, for whatever reason that could come up, seems quite probable and entirely legit.

--Jack

:thumb_yello: Yep ... I agree with that too .... as I said in the other thread , I don't feel as though Mika ever dis-regards his fans .... & in fact I'm relieved in a way 'cos I'd prefer to see him in concert ... rather than at a festival .... as long as I can sell my tickets ... I'll be happy !!:thumb_yello:

The problem with festival cancellations is that the tickets are so expensive...and you don't get a refund just becasue Mika isn't going to be there...but you would for a gig. I KNOW that the moral of this story (as learned last year) is don't buy a festival ticket just to see Mika....but that is easier said than done..particularly when one thinks it is the only chance to see Mika. I know there is plenty of notice but it does seem a bit odd to me...even taking into account the reschedualed London gigs. Oh well...as Christine said (I THINK it was Christine!) He will no doubt keep us guessing!

However, big hugs to you guys that this affects xxxx

The problem with festival cancellations is that the tickets are so expensive...and you don't get a refund just becasue Mika isn't going to be there...but you would for a gig. I KNOW that the moral of this story (as learned last year) is don't buy a festival ticket just to see Mika....but that is easier said than done..particularly when one thinks it is the only chance to see Mika. I know there is plenty of notice but it does seem a bit odd to me...even taking into account the reschedualed London gigs. Oh well...as Christine said (I THINK it was Christine!) He will no doubt keep us guessing!

However, big hugs to you guys that this affects xxxx

:thumb_yello: Thanks Kath !! :huglove: