MIKA au PARC DES PRINCES, PARIS 4 july 2008

BICHE

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But how many dozens of gigs did he play in the UK in 2007 before this month? If Mika starts doing stadium tours he will only play a couple of headling shows in the UK per year. He won't be playing to 5,000 people night after night after night in every corner of the country. It's just as well because as we know he can't tolerate that kind of schedule and it's going to get worse after his setlist expands with new material.

I think if this is his first and only French gig for 8 or 9 months and he's just released an album, 54,000 is not unrealistic. LICM went diamond in France. That's about as many albums as anyone can hope to sell anywhere. You're talking about Madonna, Robbie Williams and Celine Dion levels.

We're spoiled. I think he'll find a way to make it work for the average audience member. As Kata pointed out he does fine at festivals and this will be even better because he'll have a proper production surrounding it that's commensurate with the size of the venue.

Common sense tells me to wait another 6 months to catch him in Europe after he releases the album, but I know this trio of concerts in London is the last chance to see him in similar circumstances. Next time around he'll do one show, likely at the 02.

I know that you're usually the voice of reason, but I REALLY hope that this time you're wrong.

As much as I understand that Mika is getting bigger and will have to start/continue doing larger venues, I don't really want to go and see him perform at a massive stadium.

It just doesn't do it for me. I refuse to queue overnight to guarantee a "close to the stage" spot, I won't do that even for Mika, and unless you do such a thing you end up with a super-distant visual of him, which is hardly conductive to any "connection" with him.

Seeing it through the big screens is just not the same, you lose a lot of the magic.

Call me innocent or stubborn or whatever, but I don't like the idea of Mika playing such large venues because I don't think that his music "works" in them.

Yes, sure, his more "vibey" numbers can work, like when he does GK and BG and LT and so at Festivals, but can you imagine "Any Other World" sung to a massive crowd like that? I can't.

I strongly believe that his shows would lose a lot of their "special" element in such circumstances, and that is a shame.

Some artists, no matter how huge they become, just refuse to play large venues and only do smallish ones for their entire career. I hope that Mika will stay that way.

Like someone said, he could perfectly well continue to do 6000-8000 ppl venues like he's done in Europe this fall, and that still "just about" works.

If this is how it happens, then I am with the majority, I really don't want to see Mika in those circumstances.

But I probably won't be able to help myself. :sneaky2:

Arggg you probably have a point there. Still, I don't think it would be worth the hassle and the crowds for me, no.:thumbdown:

i'm not in france, i'll be in martinique by then :biggrin2: for 3 months :biggrin2:

Aah, good excuse then he!!:bleh:

When I first saw this thread I was really pleasantly surprised, especially because I doubt I'll make it to London this February, so this could be my chance to see him (if I didn't have exams, of course), but when I saw the capacity of the stadium it just shocked me. I know Mika's popularity is growing but yet...I just can't imagine going to his gig and being surrounded by so many people. It would lose all its charm, IMO.

Some artists, no matter how huge they become, just refuse to play large venues and only do smallish ones for their entire career. I hope that Mika will stay that way.

So I'm joining you in your hope that he stays that way...that he does smaller venues that are more intimate and more personal...

I think I won't be able to make it...:boxed:

Hmm...it's not 100% sure yet...I will be workng in Brussels in June and July...but I don't know yet when and if I'll get a day off...

So, please, keep your fingers crossed for me! :wink2:

I know that you're usually the voice of reason, but I REALLY hope that this time you're wrong.

As much as I understand that Mika is getting bigger and will have to start/continue doing larger venues, I don't really want to go and see him perform at a massive stadium.

It just doesn't do it for me. I refuse to queue overnight to guarantee a "close to the stage" spot, I won't do that even for Mika, and unless you do such a thing you end up with a super-distant visual of him, which is hardly conductive to any "connection" with him.

Seeing it through the big screens is just not the same, you lose a lot of the magic.

Call me innocent or stubborn or whatever, but I don't like the idea of Mika playing such large venues because I don't think that his music "works" in them.

Yes, sure, his more "vibey" numbers can work, like when he does GK and BG and LT and so at Festivals, but can you imagine "Any Other World" sung to a massive crowd like that? I can't.

I strongly believe that his shows would lose a lot of their "special" element in such circumstances, and that is a shame.

Like someone said, he could perfectly well continue to do 6000-8000 ppl venues like he's done in Europe this fall, and that still "just about" works.

Arggg you probably have a point there. Still, I don't think it would be worth the hassle and the crowds for me, no.:thumbdown:

Aah, good excuse then he!!:bleh:

I totally agree! I felt exactly like that when I saw the concert part of LICM! I mean,it wasn't like seeing him from the crowd so it felt quite impersonal.

But I don't think Mika will do loads of them. I think he likes "this contact" with the people who goes at his concerts. But then again, that's only what I think,I'm not in the Big man's mind

I totally agree with you Sariflor!

I will probably go but I'm not that much enthusiast! I do think it must be done once but if it's becoming a habit I'm afraid I won't go to Mika's gig after that...

I can't wait seeing him in London in February and I hope this is not the last time I see him in an "ordinary" venue...

I totally agree with you Sariflor!

I will probably go but I'm not that much enthusiast! I do think it must be done once but if it's becoming a habit I'm afraid I won't go to Mika's gig after that...

I can't wait seeing him in London in February and I hope this is not the last time I see him in an "ordinary" venue...

Looks like lots of us have the same fear and hopes:blink: :biggrin2:

Best idea of the day :naughty::roftl:

Whenever you want Nika, I'm ready! :roftl::biggrin2:

About this gig... It's totally unpersonnal... Mika in a stadium is not for me too. He's not like Madonna, Robbie Williams, Muse or someone else, he just did an album and a DVD, but that's all. Will see if it will be sold out and quick, but I don't think so... Mika's music fit better in so big venues, and I agree Sariflor : "Seeing it through the big screens is just not the same, you lose a lot of the magic." I hope he doesn't do it and think that French people will like and agree that idea, because that's not true... :sneaky2: :sneaky2: :sneaky2:

Won't work in front of 54 000 people. So it's a question of credibility now.

It's already worked in front of tens of thousands of people when he's played festivals. I'm not saying that it's preferable for the hardcore fans in the audience - obviously not. But that doesn't mean it can't work.

I mean, I when I go to a "Mika gig", I want to be able to see him, not on huge screens and a Mika ant in the middle!

I have no intention of being far away just because he's playing larger venues. I was just as close to him in a 5,000 person venue as I was in a 600 person venue and if you're determined enough you can get close in a larger venue still.

i'm not in france, i'll be in martinique by then :biggrin2: for 3 months :biggrin2:

:yay: Have fun!

I think it's going to fast... He is not even used to big arenas than he is doing a stadium... though it could be the only time where he could play a stadium

He's playing a big arena next month in Montreal. The summer is a long way off and I know no one wants to hear it but we have been spoiled so far and lucky with timing.

Mika has scheduled his concerts far enough in advance that they could never anticipate the demand that was going to meet him when the time came for the actual performance. I think many of the smaller concerts in the UK would not have happened if they had been able to see into a crystal ball last spring.

Now that they're over the shock of Mika's meteoric rise, I think they are finally planning for what they expect to happen by next summer when his album is released instead of locking him into a smaller venue.

I don't want to be right about this, but if I recall correctly, his management has already stated that his next European tour will be arenas. I agree that him playing stadiums on any kind of a regular basis is undesirable any way you look at it, but I think arenas (as opposed to concert halls like Brixton) are inevitable.

I don't care what Mika has said in the past. As long as the demand is there, I think he will play arenas on a regular basis.

As much as I understand that Mika is getting bigger and will have to start/continue doing larger venues, I don't really want to go and see him perform at a massive stadium. It just doesn't do it for me. I refuse to queue overnight to guarantee a "close to the stage" spot, I won't do that even for Mika, and unless you do such a thing you end up with a super-distant visual of him, which is hardly conductive to any "connection" with him.

I agree about the massive stadium. I guess it's not a big concern for me because we don't really have them here and the only way Mika could play to 54,000 people in Canada would be as part of an exceptionally large festival (which also isn't the norm). If there is enough demand then artists just play multiple dates in arenas that hold about 20,000.

I have the luxury of not worrying about queues because the seats are assigned. It's true that if you're up in the stands the vibe is crap, but when you're down on the floors I find it just as intimate as, say, Brixton because you tune out everyone that isn't down on the floor with you.

I saw The Police at an arena last month and while some issues with security were inhibiting, I was close enough to see the expressions on Sting's face and he was making just as much eye contact with the audience as Mika always does. From my perspective it was the audience in the stands that looked like ants, not the band.

I've been making my way to the front row of arenas since I was 14 years old so I'm not appalled at the idea of Mika playing in one. But I understand the setups in Europe are different.

That's what I mean about wanting to get these London gigs in now because we don't know what the future holds. I do think that it's likely that Mika's career is going to continue to rise and he's going to continue to play larger venues. If 2008 is anything like 2007 it's going to happen at lightening speed.

I couldn't imagine the original arrangement of Holy Johnny played in front of 8,000 people and neither could Mika. That's why he changed it from an intimate serenade of Martin and his guitar to a production involving the whole band.

Mika's stage production is going to change and in fact his setlist is going to change once he releases his new album. For all we know Any Other World won't be on it.

I don't see any reason why he can't do his ballads in a larger venue though because other artists do it all the time. He just needs to get out from behind that ridiculously small keyboard and get himself a proper piano.

Justin Timberlake uses various techniques to get his piano numbers to work alongside Sexy Back and Mika can pull it off too. It's not as if he isn't creative enough.

There's no denying that the intimate shows are more preferable to us hardcore fans. If I could get Mika to play every night in my living room I'd take that over any other possible venue. But he's sold 5 million albums and there's not enough of him to go around to meet the demand for his live performances if he sticks with small venues.

Even if Mika was previously committed to sticking to intimate venues, he just doesn't have the stamina to play 5 nights in southern England instead of one night in an arena. We all learned that the hard way.

Yeah,Mika is only beginning,I mean,it's been only one year, if he planned to do only a few stadiums,it wouldn't have been now, and as already said, his fame is growing day by day,it's not gonna be his only stadium.

I have no intention of being far away just because he's playing larger venues. I was just as close to him in a 5,000 person venue as I was in a 600 person venue and if you're determined enough you can get close in a larger venue still.

But just a question,quite stupid actually,I do not know a lot about stadiums but are all the places seated and assigned ?Because in this case,do u imagine the prices for front seats ?

Yeah,Mika is only beginning,I mean,it's been only one year, if he planned to do only a few stadiums,it wouldn't have been now, and as already said, his fame is growing day by day,it's not gonna be his only stadium.

But just a question,quite stupid actually,I do not know a lot about stadiums but are all the places seated and assigned ?Because in this case,do u imagine the prices for front seats ?

I doubt he can do only stadiums really. I checked last night. Indochine (sorry for those who don't know them but I'm sure Melman does - they're huge in France, far huger than Mika) never did stadiums, the biggest venue they did was Bercy and that's 20 000 people already. Good news is they kept doing "normal" venues everywhere else.

Melman, to answer your question, it all depends on the management's decision. I know of some (French) artists who ask that the stadium is divided in "sections" (be it for the standing or seating ticks) and the closer spots are far more expensive than the others. Other artists don't, all tickets are the same price and you just have to make your way to the best spot possible.

I doubt he can do only stadiums really. I checked last night. Indochine (sorry for those who don't know them but I'm sure Melman does - they're huge in France, far huger than Mika) never did stadiums, the biggest venue they did was Bercy and that's 20 000 people already. Good news is they kept doing "normal" venues everywhere else.

Melman, to answer your question, it all depends on the management's decision. I know of some (French) artists who ask that the stadium is divided in "sections" (be it for the standing or seating ticks) and the closer spots are far more expensive than the others. Other artists don't, all tickets are the same price and you just have to make your way to the best spot possible.

oopsie! :doh::blush-anim-cl: I'm really sorry,actually I meant he's going to do other stadiums! boy! I was really tired when I wrote that! But I agree with you Niki,I think he is still going to do "normal" venues.

oopsie! :doh::blush-anim-cl: I'm really sorry,actually I meant he's going to do other stadiums! boy! I was really tired when I wrote that! But I agree with you Niki,I think he is still going to do "normal" venues.

:blink:

:offtopic: But before I forget... Mika is on Saga (TF1) tonight, Melman ;) I don't know if you knew it already.

:blink:

:offtopic: But before I forget... Mika is on Saga (TF1) tonight, Melman ;) I don't know if you knew it already.

thx for telling me! though now I have to watch TF1 tonight!:thumbdown: but he deserves it. ^^

:lmfao: it's so funny cuz I saw the add for Saga yesterday,and I was listenning at it carfelluy cuz I wanted to know if they were gonna talk about the big M,and as they didn't talk about him,I thought "yeah,but Mika would never accept to do something for Saga" :roftl: well... :doh:

thx for telling me! though now I have to watch TF1 tonight!:thumbdown: but he deserves it. ^^

:lmfao: it's so funny cuz I saw the add for Saga yesterday,and I was listenning at it carfelluy cuz I wanted to know if they were gonna talk about the big M,and as they didn't talk about him,I thought "yeah,but Mika would never accept to do something for Saga" :roftl: well... :doh:

Yeah I'm also very excited at the idea of watching saga for two hours :boxed:

I checked the website and he's on the listing. No full reportage though, I think they're just gonna mention him among other people who "marked" the year 2007.

But I'll watch and record anyway.

Yeah I'm also very excited at the idea of watching saga for two hours :boxed:

I checked the website and he's on the listing. No full reportage though, I think they're just gonna mention him among other people who "marked" the year 2007.

But I'll watch and record anyway.

Yeah, I think that is what it's gonna be. I think I'll watch something else on TV and switch channels from time to time ^^

Thx for recording it!:thumb_yello:

It's already worked in front of tens of thousands of people when he's played festivals. I'm not saying that it's preferable for the hardcore fans in the audience - obviously not. But that doesn't mean it can't work.

The thing is, that I believe only SOME of his songs will work in those settings. Namely, the songs that he did at festivals. But correct me if I'm wrong, when I've seen him playing at festivals, I generally found those to be his "worst" performances. He just didn't seem to "be" there as much IMO...

You're telling me...:naughty: I've got no problem making my way to the front with 6000 people, but when it comes to 50000 I'm sure I can't be bothered.

I don't want to be right about this, but if I recall correctly, his management has already stated that his next European tour will be arenas. I agree that him playing stadiums on any kind of a regular basis is undesirable any way you look at it, but I think arenas (as opposed to concert halls like Brixton) are inevitable.

I don't think that it was ever a "formal" statement.

It was a passing comment apparently made out of the blue by the person who someone said is Mika's PA, at Doncaster, hence I don't really know how much of it is fact, or this person's opinion, etc, etc.

I would still take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.

I agree about the massive stadium. I guess it's not a big concern for me because we don't really have them here and the only way Mika could play to 54,000 people in Canada would be as part of an exceptionally large festival (which also isn't the norm). If there is enough demand then artists just play multiple dates in arenas that hold about 20,000.

I have the luxury of not worrying about queues because the seats are assigned. It's true that if you're up in the stands the vibe is crap, but when you're down on the floors I find it just as intimate as, say, Brixton because you tune out everyone that isn't down on the floor with you.

I saw The Police at an arena last month and while some issues with security were inhibiting, I was close enough to see the expressions on Sting's face and he was making just as much eye contact with the audience as Mika always does. From my perspective it was the audience in the stands that looked like ants, not the band.

I wouldn't mind that very much, if I could get a front or frontish row at a stadium because seats were assigned.

The problem is that (I think) they usually leave all that area free for standing here, which means that whoever gets there first, gets the good spot.

That's what I mean about wanting to get these London gigs in now because we don't know what the future holds. I do think that it's likely that Mika's career is going to continue to rise and he's going to continue to play larger venues. If 2008 is anything like 2007 it's going to happen at lightening speed.

You know, I have a funny feeling about this.(And please, nobody stone me now!)

As much as I think that he deserves all the success in the world (obviously!) and that I believe he's still to grow in popularity and all that, I have my reservations about him becoming "bigger" in places such as the UK, etc.

For what I've seen, most people have heard and seen him.

The problem is that many just don't like him. Idiots who can't tell quality from what is not, I know, but still, the fact is that many people just don't like his music or can't see past their own prejudices which make them dislike Mika the person and then shun his music.

What I'm trying to get at is that I'm not sure that he's actually going to continue to rise at the speed that he has. I feel that he's probably hit a plateau in the sense of popularity, and that he may recruit a few new fans with the new album if people like it, but that in no way things will be the way they were in 2007.

I strongly believe that he's got the bulk of his future fans now and any new ones will just be "a few". I hope I'm wrong but I think that's the case.

I couldn't imagine the original arrangement of Holy Johnny played in front of 8,000 people and neither could Mika. That's why he changed it from an intimate serenade of Martin and his guitar to a production involving the whole band.

Mika's stage production is going to change and in fact his setlist is going to change once he releases his new album. For all we know Any Other World won't be on it.

I don't see any reason why he can't do his ballads in a larger venue though because other artists do it all the time. He just needs to get out from behind that ridiculously small keyboard and get himself a proper piano.

Justin Timberlake uses various techniques to get his piano numbers to work alongside Sexy Back and Mika can pull it off too. It's not as if he isn't creative enough.

I agree with what you say about Holy Johnny and the setlist, etc...

One thing I don't like though is that when I see concerts by people like Justin T and similar, I find them too "showy" and impersonal.

I'm not a Justin T fan but, quite frankly, if I went to see his show, I would want to see HIM all the time, not some random dancers or who knows what...I was thinking of that yesterday when they played Take That on TV.

I thought what a load of cr@p, it's like a Broadway production and not about the music.

My 2 cents.

Even if Mika was previously committed to sticking to intimate venues, he just doesn't have the stamina to play 5 nights in southern England instead of one night in an arena. We all learned that the hard way.

I still think that this is a matter of him getting proper rest in between the gigs.

If he has 1 night on and 2 or 3 off, I think that he can totally pull it off. I mean, he's a healthy young man! (ENT's permitting :biggrin2:)

I believe that what he can't cope with is having a few nights in a row and then only one night off in between, plus the fact that he has trouble sleeping hence he doesn't effectively rest when he's meant to...

And now (if anyone has managed to make it to the end of this MEGAPOST :boxed:, I'm confused and would like to know: What is the difference between a stadium and an arena?

I mean, how many people (ranges of numbers) are we talking about?

Sara I love you :wub2: My thoughts exactly.

I don't think Mika can grow bigger in europe next year either. I hope for him I'm wrong but let's face the facts: I know plenty of people who actually loved his music at the beginning and are now totally fed up with it cause it's been everywhere all the time.

IMO doing arenas/stadiums (no difference Sara ;)) is a risky bet. If it doesnt connect, or not as good as his normal gigs, that means 50 000 person will leave the gig thinking "Yeah... not such a great performer after all, we won't come back, his music is better on our living room's stereos".

And I really doubt it will connect, no matter what you think Christine. The spirit of a festival can't be compared to that of a single artist's performance. People's expectations aren't the same.

Hi guys, I am just butting in from my holiday in Australia to say I think Mika is only really starting to take off over here and in my other home JAPAN.

Sariflor, I don't think he will only have "a few" future fans, because he hasn't had enough airplay of some of the new singles here or in Japan, plus he has 2 new ones coming out in the UK on NY's Eve, so I think there is still plenty of market share available to him.

I will be sad to have to do stadiums to see MIKA, but I saw Elton John at Nippon Budokan in November ( a huge venue), and it was actually more intimate than I remembered from years gone by, plus seats were allocated so I didn't have to deal with the crush down the front. But I think it is ineviatble just because he WILL gain in popularity over the next few years....

I wonder if all the big stars did stadiums the second year they were performing...maybe some did them the first year, but for others maybe it took 5 years for them to be guaranteed of filling a stadium. Mika is in this for the long haul he says, so whatever workds out best for him will make me happy!:biggrin2:

IMO doing arenas/stadiums (no difference Sara ;)) is a risky bet. If it doesnt connect, or not as good as his normal gigs, that means 50 000 person will leave the gig thinking "Yeah... not such a great performer after all, we won't come back, his music is better on our living room's stereos".

Mika's shows are already too large for him to truly connect with more than the few hundred people who are in the first rows. The rest is just an illusion and if people in the audience can accept the illusion at 5,000 they can accept it at 50,000. I don't see why Mika is such a special case when other artists exclusively play large arenas and stadiums and have no trouble keeping fans interested.

I have never been a big fan of Robbie Williams. In fact when I was living in England I thought he was so mediocre and the attention given to him so out of proportion with his talent I kind of despised him. But in watching his mindblowingly massive audiences respond to him I finally get it. Seeing one human being command a group of people in such a way is a spectacle worth watching in and of itself.

I really want to go to Montreal because the show is going to be large (sounds like up to 14,000) and it's going to be a thrill for Mika which is going to translate into a thrill for the audience.

Mika feeds off the crowd. Look how different his performances are from when he was playing to 600 people. Even when he is as sick as a dog he appears to have 3 times as much energy.

I don't think that it was ever a "formal" statement.

It was a passing comment apparently made out of the blue by the person who someone said is Mika's PA, at Doncaster, hence I don't really know how much of it is fact, or this person's opinion, etc, etc.

I would still take that with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Yeah we won't know one way or another until they announce the tour and things will likely change depending on how well his album does on radio and in sales. I just don't want to take any chances because Mika's timing where I'm concerned sucks! Three small birds in the hand are worth one in an arena...or something like that. :blink::wink2:

Of course it would be just my luck that Mika would release a new album and play 10 nights at Koko or something and I'm too broke to go, after chasing him to Hammersmith and Brixton twice in 3 months.

What I'm trying to get at is that I'm not sure that he's actually going to continue to rise at the speed that he has. I feel that he's probably hit a plateau in the sense of popularity, and that he may recruit a few new fans with the new album if people like it, but that in no way things will be the way they were in 2007.

I strongly believe that he's got the bulk of his future fans now and any new ones will just be "a few". I hope I'm wrong but I think that's the case.

You could be right. I feared Mika would effectively be a one hit wonder for the longest time. I think we've passed that point and he's always going to retain a significant following of fans. But if he doesn't produce another Grace Kelly, or even if the media tires of him and decides they're not interested in pushing the next Grace Kelly, 2008 could see his popularity dwindle, especially in the UK.

It might be the best thing for him as he could concentrate on keeping his fans happy and making headway in other markets like the US. I think a steady world wide rise over the next 5 years would be better for his long term career than his star burning out from overexposure in the UK and France.

I'm not a Justin T fan but, quite frankly, if I went to see his show, I would want to see HIM all the time, not some random dancers or who knows what...I was thinking of that yesterday when they played Take That on TV.

I know what you mean but JT's shows are between 2 and 3 hours so the dancers and background singers are fillers so that he can break it up. This is something Mika is going to desperately need if he plans to go full throttle with 2 or 3 albums worth of material. He can't just stand on stage and sing for that amount of time night after night without blowing out his voice.

I thought what a load of cr@p, it's like a Broadway production and not about the music.

My 2 cents.

Well no offense to JT and Take That fans, but it's not like their music is anything but a showy production to start with. I was pleasantly surprised to see that JT is more talented than I gave him credit for because at least he plays the piano quite well. But none of these people can sing or write music like Mika.

I think what we can expect from Mika will be more along the lines of a young Elton John or Prince than Take That or JT. Give the boy some credit.

Although if you hate circus productions as much as Broadway productions perhaps you're bound to be disappointed. :naughty:

I still think that this is a matter of him getting proper rest in between the gigs.

If he has 1 night on and 2 or 3 off, I think that he can totally pull it off. I mean, he's a healthy young man! (ENT's permitting :biggrin2:)

That may be, but I think the chances of anyone implementing such a schedule are almost nil. It will triple the length of his tours which is expensive and time consuming.

I think the best we can hope for is long breaks in between legs of his tour so he can recoup at home. But since Mika seems to get rundown within 2 weeks of touring even that is not going to prevent him from becoming ill.

What is the difference between a stadium and an arena? I mean, how many people (ranges of numbers) are we talking about?

In terms of numbers I guess anything is possible, but stadiums are open-air and arenas are enclosed so generally you're more likely to get a larger group into a stadium.

In Canada the arenas are built for hockey so they are all usually in the 18,000-25,000 range. There is no indoor venue in Toronto that could contain anywhere close to 54,000 people and an event that large would have to be outdoors.