Mika and Leona lead Brit nominations

dcdeb

Mika and Leona lead Brit nominations

by Hannah Summers

Monday, 14 January 2008

Mika, The X-Factor winner Leona Lewis and music producer Mark Ronson are to lead the industry’s most prestigious music awards after bagging the most Brit nominations.

The 24-year-old Lebanese-born singer and Ronson, 32, who is best known for producing Amy Winehouse’s album Back To Black, are to go head-to-head in the line-up for best male.

And Lewis, 22 - whose first album Spirit became the fastest selling debut record in the UK - is understood to be the leading contender in the best female, best album and single category.

One industry insider said: “Last year was an amazing success for Leona. Unlike most X Factor winners she has gone on to prove herself as a credible artist and if she were to win best female it would cement her place as one of Britain’s leading female singers.”

It was also revealed that pop diva Kylie Minogue, who will turn 40 this year, is to return to the Brits with a sensational opening performance at the glitzy ceremony on 20 February at Earls Court.

She is tipped for best international female while rapper Kayne West is set to sweep the gong for best international male.

After a storming comeback Take That are expected to compete for best band along with Babyshambles and Arctic Monkeys, who scooped best album last year while Beatle Paul McCartney is to walk away with the lifetime achievement award.

Meanwhile The Klaxons are tipped to compete for the breakthrough award along with The Enemy and The Hoosiers.

The latter will perform along with Bat For Lashes, also known as Natasha Khan, the Editors and newcomer Adele at a ceremony this evening to unveil the nominees.

Kelly Osbourne, whose parents Sharon and Ozzy are lined up to host the big night itself, will be announcing the nominations this evening at Camden’s Roundhouse in north London.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Satellite/london/news/article/1157150257405?packedargs=aid%3D1157150257405%26suffix%3DArticleController

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Umm, up against Mark Ronson, that could be tricky. If it were anyone else, he could walk it, but Mark Ronson is quite popular amongst the industry big shots, and that could be bad for Mika.

Fingers crossed.

Umm, up against Mark Ronson, that could be tricky. If it were anyone else, he could walk it, but Mark Ronson is quite popular amongst the industry big shots, and that could be bad for Mika.

Fingers crossed.

I agree, it'll be tough against Mark Ronson as he is well respected in the industry and has the "cool" reputation (unlike Mika :bleh: ). I like him and think he's very good at what he does but he doesn't SING. The award should go to a singer, surely? I'd like to think the Brits will see sense here!

They should have a Best Producer award and then we wouldn't be having this conversation :wink2: .

I agree, it'll be tough against Mark Ronson as he is well respected in the industry and has the "cool" reputation (unlike Mika :bleh: ). I like him and think he's very good at what he does but he doesn't SING. The award should go to a singer, surely? I'd like to think the Brits will see sense here!

They should have a Best Producer award and then we wouldn't be having this conversation :wink2: .

I agree, I'm surprised they don't have that catergory, as producers are as much part of the industry and should be recognised in their own right.

We'll know in 20 mins.....

20 mins? I thought is was on itv2 at 9pm, is it on earlier on a different channel then?

Also, do u reckon Mika will be there cos it said that they are goin to be talking to the nominees? I hope he is!!

20 mins? I thought is was on itv2 at 9pm, is it on earlier on a different channel then?

Also, do u reckon Mika will be there cos it said that they are goin to be talking to the nominees? I hope he is!!

Blimey, I'd better get home then.:naughty:

HE IS UP FOR

Best British Male

Best Breakthrough Act

Best Album

Best Single...

:punk: :punk:

not Best Live Act, but anyway....sounds great:thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:

:groupwave:

FANTASTIC!!!!!

Thanks suzie.

With four nominations it'd be cruel for him not to win ONE, but that did happen to Robbie Williams one year :shocked:

The only thing that worries me is the Leona Lewis factor. They are both up for the same award in three catergories, and she has the X Factor crowd behind her.

I don't think it's looking good personally, god knows I really want him to sweep the board, but realistically, look at what he's up against.

The only thing that worries me is the Leona Lewis factor. They are both up for the same award in three catergories, and she has the X Factor crowd behind her.

I don't think it's looking good personally, god knows I really want him to sweep the board, but realistically, look at what he's up against.

Totally agree ....... sadly ....

It's really not looking good!