The No-D Team Thread

Christine

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if their parents don't know they're on a social forum? How can they "let" them? Do you know alot of 12 year olds who get permission from their parents to go online? I don't.

If they're truly concerned about their child discussing such topics then it's their job to monitor them. That said, they can't know everything that their child does so their other job is to instill their child with their values in the hope that the child will make the "right" (in terms of their specific values) decisions when alone. If the child does what they don't want them to do behind their back then that is the parents' responsibility not ours. It's ridiculous to say that we should make assumptions about what people's parents allow/disallow them do then adjust our behaviours to be in line with them, essentially 'parenting' them in their parents' absence.

If they're truly concerned about their child discussing such topics then it's their job to monitor them. That said, they can't know everything that their child does so their other job is to instill their child with their values in the hope that the child will make the "right" (in terms of their specific values) decisions when alone. If the child does what they don't want them to do behind their back then that is the parents' responsibility not ours. It's ridiculous to say that we should make assumptions about what people's parents allow/disallow them do then adjust our behaviours to be in line with them, essentially 'parenting' them in their parents' absence.

I have a 12 year old. So I essentially agree - I instill him with values, but he still makes the "wrong" decisions once in awhile. I monitor what he does online to some extent, (the family computer is in the kitchen, software to block sites, etc) but I cannot always be around. Inevitably he will undoubtedly come across "mature" subjects, that I'd rather him not be exposed to, but I don't expect other adults who communicate with him on the internet (he goes on game forums, msn, has a facebook account, etc) to "parent" him or edit their posts.

I just need to make sure that I invest the time to effectively become a bigger influence on him than a stranger - that is my job.

Over 40 pages already ?! :shocked:

Ok gals after a good night of sleep and some more reading (I aint gonna read everything you posted during the last 8 hours, I will have to trust your sense of responsabilities and hope no real fight started, or no offensive things were said for once), let me tell you this:

We (some of the mods) discussed the whole issue last night. What shocked us was not the topic itself - although most of us thought it was inappropriate - cause we are aware this kind of discussion starts every now and then on different threads. What shocked us was the fact that it now had its own thread, and that this thread hadn't been started by a newbie, as it's usually the case, but by an older user that (and it's my personal opinion I'm stating now - I don't wanna involve any of my fellow mods) should have known it wasn't a good idea.

Bonjourmika's thread was highjacked and indeed, all mods were in bed when it happened. Sorry, we happen to sleep, sometimes :wink2: I think the discussion there would have died out naturally anyway. If not, and if people wanted to put an end to it, they could have used the "alert" option to get one of the mods intervene asap. I read the therapy thread. It seemed noone protested, but rather participated to the "madness" that was going on there. And then, all the sudden, came this urgent need to stop things, and how?? By opening a new thread? This was, imo, a mistake. But fair enough.

We decided not to close this new thread because we respect freedom of speech. But we are still worried about the younglings. Maybe it isn't the job of the users to care about them, and these kids do have parents indeed, but remember this is part of the mods job. We are just trying to do what's in everyone's best interest, no more. I got PMs from members who were shocked about this thread but didn't dare or want state it here out loud and I couldn't ignore them. We were also reminded the MFC is trying to be the official fanclub. Do you think such threads will help?

Christine, you said two things to which I will know answer:

1) there aren't clear boundaries to what can be said or not. True, and trust me this makes our job much harder. Why aren't there clear lines? Because it's more appropriate to judge each situation on basis of the context, the people involved, etc etc. And because we trust the members' common sense to rectify themselves when they feel they've gone too far.

2) you said people who were against this thread insulted you... when, where, who? I didn't read anything offensive. I didn't read someone said you "were full of ****". Did I miss posts? Was it in private? I will ask you to be more explicit on the matter. The people who were against this thread in the first place were some of my fellow mods and myself. I don't think any of us would ever use such terms and I want to make sure noone can infere from what you said that it was us.

I know some of the other (and admittedly, more experienced) moddies disagree with me, but I think threads like this one should just be monitored and allowed to run their course.

I agree with you (but I'm a new moddie too).

That's why I wanted to take the "is it ok to have this topic" discussion to pms so we can see how this thread develops.

Guys, hasn't this now been done to death?

I am probably perpetuating the argument by replying.

Points have been made, lessons learned, viewpoints clarified.

I am now left feeling as if I need to question and vet each post I make in case I offend someone or am overstepping a boundary that I'm not aware of.

Objections noted. Let's just move on.

What shocked us was the fact that it now had its own thread

This topic had its own thread for 3 months. The title was more obvious and the pictures had been manipulated to be more graphic than anything posted here.

Am I to believe that none of the mods noticed this thread for 3 months?

and that this thread hadn't been started by a newbie, as it's usually the case, but by an older user that (and it's my personal opinion I'm stating now - I don't wanna involve any of my fellow mods) should have known it wasn't a good idea.

What does that have to do with anything? Either the topic is acceptable or its not. My age is completely irrelevant.

Bonjourmika's thread was highjacked and indeed, all mods were in bed when it happened.

All the mods were not in bed when it happened because one of them made posts during the conversation. If you'd read through that thread and this one properly you would know that.

If anyone read through this thread properly they would see that there isn't even anything objectionable going on to warrant all this nonsense in the first place.

We are just trying to do what's in everyone's best interest, no more. I got PMs from members who were shocked about this thread but didn't dare or want state it here out loud and I couldn't ignore them.

And I got PMs from people who are tired of being yelled at because they have no idea what is acceptable and what isn't since it swings wildly from one day to the next. For 3 months it's acceptable and then suddenly one day not only is it not acceptable, but we're all going to act like it's never happened before.

Bab is right. This has all been hashed and re-hashed and I'm not going to repeat it because you don't want to go back and read everything that's been said in the last 8 hours.

As soon as this thread was opened I was contacted by a couple of mods by PM. I responded to them politely and deferred to their judgement as to what should be done about the thread and they ignored me.

Instead of answering me privately and trying to resolve the matter without all this drama and stupidity, they came in here and started confronting me publicly. What the motivation is for that I don't know, but I'm done with it. It's upsetting a lot of people by causing unneeded conflict and I'm not going to participate it in anymore.

If you've got something to say to me send me a PM. That's how this whole thing should have been handled in the first place.

Guys, hasn't this now been done to death?

I am probably perpetuating the argument by replying.

Points have been made, lessons learned, viewpoints clarified.

I am now left feeling as if I need to question and vet each post I make in case I offend someone or am overstepping a boundary that I'm not aware of.

Objections noted. Let's just move on.

yep..go make sudoku!:naughty:

That is not necessarily true.... we don't know if her parents know or not.

I wouldn't flip, and that is for sure..... and I am speaking of my kids.....

they know EVERYTHING, thanks to school... *I forgot that you were homeschooled* Well, apparently school has gotten to be :shocked:

My sons tells me things they say and do at school and I CANNOT beleive my ears.... things I never knew until *at least* High School! :naughty:

I think you making the implication that Sarie is somehow unaware of even ignorant just because of her being homeschooled is not right at all.

I think you making the implication that Sarie is somehow unaware of even ignorant just because of her being homeschooled is not right at all.

First of all I did not say it in a negative way.... I thought it was a valid point! And I never attacked anyone.... HAVE YOU READ ALL of the HORRIBLE things Sarie herself said last night that HAD nothing to do with this in the first place .. there were people who were WAY out of line last night making something simple into some OUTRAGEOUS ..... I can not even BELEIVE you JUST SAID that to me!!!!! See how people can take others posts the WRONG way.... I was NOT being rude last night... or attacking anyone.... I can see how other cultures sometimes miunderstand things but we are BOTH American Mandi.... how could take me SO wrong, is beyond me...... Everyone needs to lighten up - and stop taking EVERY SINGLE word that is said so seriously! I AM NOT ON TRIAL HERE.....

what happened to this thread?!?! :crybaby:

Misc10.jpg

Misc22.jpg

Misc14.jpg

Misc15.jpg

Misc23.jpg:tears:

THANK YOU Norwalk....because the ABOVE is what this thread is SUPPOSE TO BE ALL ABOUT..... others are making it somehting ELSE!~

They should start a thread of their own to BASH other members!