Mika to perform with beth Ditto @ Brits

Lollipop

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Beth Ditto is a good singer and a unique performer so it's nothing against her, but I just have this niggling feeling now that the whole Big Girl thing is becoming a bit of a Mika cliche, bordering on parody, and it gives his detractors all the ammunition they need to sneer at him.

I've never ever found the song patronising (I am a big girl so I can say that) and although it's one of my least favourite Mika songs, it's great live, in fact IMO it's much much better live than on the CD.

BUT...I feel it's had its day, and I just don't really want Mika to be associated wholly forever more with this one song/image by Joe Non-Mikafan Public. I feel there is so much more to him, he has better songs, better tunes, deeper lyrics, etc. and I just wish he'd choose a different song for such an enormous performance as the Brits!

This is just my opinion. I know fans of Big Girl will disagree and be tempted to jump on me now and beat me to death for my heresy but hey, I don't often say controversial stuff on here. So be gentle :naughty: .

I think Beth Ditto is a good singer and a unique performer so it's nothing against her, but I just have this niggling feeling now that the whole Big Girl thing is becoming a bit of a Mika cliche, bordering on parody, and it gives his detractors all the ammunition they need to sneer at him.

I've never ever found the song patronising (I am a big girl so I can say that) and although it's one of my least favourite Mika songs, it's great live, in fact IMO it's much much better live than on the CD.

BUT...I feel it's had its day, and I just don't really want Mika to be associated wholly forever more with this one song/image by Joe Non-Mikafan Public. I feel there is so much more to him, he has better songs, better tunes, deeper lyrics, etc. and I just wish he'd choose a different song for such an enormous performance as the Brits!

This is just my opinion. I know fans of Big Girl will disagree and be tempted to jump on me now and beat me to death for my heresy but hey, I don't often say controversial stuff on here. So be gentle :naughty: .

I'm with you on this:wink2:

yeah, I think big girl with Beth it would be wonderful..months ago.

For the Brits I was hoping in something different rather than the singles..

who knows what are the special reasons behind this decision:cool:

I think all this assumption and dislike should be kept till after the performance! :thumb_yello:

It may be Beth Ditto maybey not?....you might not have liked her singing before but might love her this time!

I think patience is what is needed so we should all just wait and see.....afterall MIKA won't be doing anything crappy as he has been planning this for ages!!!

Make sure you all look out for Mrs Penniman's incredible sewing skills! I bet the costumes are fabulatious!...not sure if I have made that word up but it sounds good!

xxx

I'm with you on this:wink2:

yeah, I think big girl with Beth it would be wonderful..months ago.

For the Brits I was hoping in something different rather than the singles..

who knows what are the special reasons behind this decision:cool:

Hmm. I think the 'special reasons' are that Mika himself rates this song very highly. I get that impression. I bet he goes around at home whistling it all the time. I just think he really likes it :naughty: *hey even though I say so myself this is a great song..and it only took 15 seconds to write...i'm a frickin genius man!*

And of course, he fancies Beth :mf_rosetinted: We know that anyway.

i like this song....but when performing on the stage ...it's just....

i mean ppl who dun understand the song would come across as ridiculous...:blink:

I am guilty as charged!!!!

Let's wait and see, suzie you are right :naughty:

:roftl: :roftl:

personally i like this idea....

let's see how they interpret this time... if it's really happen..:naughty:

i hope this's the highlight of the night...:punk:

Pffffff, I don't want to be negative, but there were sooo many great songs he could do, and so many people he could perform with, and I'm really not excited about this one.

I don't really like Beth's singing much, and their duet at the (oxegen?) festival was IMO quite shambolic...so I'm not very happy about it.

The Brits is such an occasion, and I don't know if this will work out. I hope it will. Sigh:boxed:.

I've never listened to Kylie :lmfao: I think he should do a duet with Prince :naughty:

I think Kylie should do a duet with Prince and both of them should leave the Mikster alone and let him do what he does best.

And of course, he fancies Beth :mf_rosetinted: We know that anyway.

Why is it that I don't really buy that? :lmao:

I can't get rid of the funny feeling that the deal was made between the labels or other higher powers than the Big M's desperate craving for ... Beth Ditto :roftl:

well, I don't know what to expect...but as Suzie has pointed out, we should better first wait for the performance and then say what we think about it...

...in any way, it will be interesting to see what it will actually be like!

Pffffff, I don't want to be negative, but there were sooo many great songs he could do, and so many people he could perform with, and I'm really not excited about this one.

:naughty: :naughty:

Who is old enough to remember this song?:

'I just want a reaction

a positive reaction!

Reaction

a positive reaction

Give me satisfaction

a positive reaction.'

:biggrin2:

Mika if you are reading this, it's not too late to change your mind:wink2: :thumb_yello:

Okay, it is :naughty:

We'll see anyway won't we...only 50 hours to go...:punk:

Well, maybe enough time for Aretha Franklin to fly over from Chicago and sing Happy Ending with him...:naughty:

...though I am not sure if she has overcome her flying phobia yet:mf_rosetinted: