TheIndependent: Something for the 50 something Mother

Akim

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/mum-rock-the-sensation-sweeping-the-nation-786845.html

The Independent recommends a musical gift for the 50 something mother...

"50-something mother

Where mum rock meets granny rock, the fiftysomething demographic bestrides a vast array of styles. Crossover stars such as the Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli may be panned by classical critics but he sells by the lorryload – 60 million albums to date. The blind singer's Mother's Day offering is the new album Live in Tuscany.

Michael Jackson's status as one of the giants of pop music has been fatally undermined by his car crash of a private life, but his record company was banking there was still sufficient appetite for a 25th anniversary release of his epic long player Thriller – and their hopes were rewarded when it clinched the number three position on the UK album charts this week.

The Lebanese-born singer songwriter Mika's first album, Life In Cartoon Motion, spawned six singles. A professed vocal range of five octaves has elevated him to a staple of the daytime radio playlists, helping him to build a loyal inter-generational army of fans."

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother is 60 something and she really loves Mika!! She and my mother in law were waxing lyrical about him to each other the other day, saying "ooh, he's good isn't he" and "ooh, he's the best thing in pop for a long time".

My Mum says she can't bear to listen to LICM though because "the songs get in my head and I wake up in the middle of the night singing them:roftl: ".

So Mums of a certain age are easy to Mikafy :naughty:

Nice to see that some people appreciate Mika isn't just for teenage girls though.

Thanks for posting Akim.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/mum-rock-the-sensation-sweeping-the-nation-786845.html

The Independent recommends a musical gift for the 50 something mother...

"50-something mother

Where mum rock meets granny rock, the fiftysomething demographic bestrides a vast array of styles. Crossover stars such as the Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli may be panned by classical critics but he sells by the lorryload – 60 million albums to date. The blind singer's Mother's Day offering is the new album Live in Tuscany.

Michael Jackson's status as one of the giants of pop music has been fatally undermined by his car crash of a private life, but his record company was banking there was still sufficient appetite for a 25th anniversary release of his epic long player Thriller – and their hopes were rewarded when it clinched the number three position on the UK album charts this week.

The Lebanese-born singer songwriter Mika's first album, Life In Cartoon Motion, spawned six singles. A professed vocal range of five octaves has elevated him to a staple of the daytime radio playlists, helping him to build a loyal inter-generational army of fans."

Amen to that! I'm 53, and I love Mika to bits!

Just check our MFC mothers' club thread and see the names of more than 60 MFCers who span the generations. (Not all of us are 50-something, though some are pretty close!!):bleh:

What is not to love about MIKA??? Talent, looks, charm...he has it all, and it is great to have the old heart a-fluttering again!!:wub2:

"professed vocal range of five octaves has elevated him to a staple of the daytime radio playlists"

ok, its not true: 4-4.5 maybe, but its said in a praiseworthy manner :wink2: so I forgive them

My dad (also mid-fifties) said he looked like a fish, and presumed he was of Mexican origin.

:blink:

Well I have heard Mika compared to many things but that's definitely the very first FISH reference :roftl: Your Dad must have a great imagination:naughty:

I think a little zapata moustache would sit very nicely on Meeks :naughty:

My mother (mid-fifties) calls him "that screechy guy with all the hair". My dad (also mid-fifties) said he looked like a fish, and presumed he was of Mexican origin.

Eh, you win some, you lose some! :roftl:

I wish he was my paisano!

My mom loves Mika, she thinks he's like a little kid ^^

My mum's in her fifties and she's ot a fan as SUCH but she's happy to listen to him.

My dad on the other hand...he can't get enough of Relax or Billy Brown. He made me try and teach him the bass line of Grace Kelly on the piano but when he failed miserably he just asked me to play it and then let him play the high G just so he could be like "Yeah, I just played Grace Kelly", haha.

My mother is 60 something and she really loves Mika!! She and my mother in law were waxing lyrical about him to each other the other day, saying "ooh, he's good isn't he" and "ooh, he's the best thing in pop for a long time".

My Mum says she can't bear to listen to LICM though because "the songs get in my head and I wake up in the middle of the night singing them:roftl: ".

So Mums of a certain age are easy to Mikafy :naughty:

Nice to see that some people appreciate Mika isn't just for teenage girls though.

Thanks for posting Akim.

:roftl: :roftl: I bought my mum LICM as an early Mother Day present last week (converting everyone around me to Mika fans!) and she said almost the same thing to me the other day, she had been listening to it before she went to bed and then woke up with GK going round in her head!! My mums 67!!

:roftl: :roftl: I bought my mum LICM as an early Mother Day present last week (converting everyone around me to Mika fans!) and she said almost the same thing to me the other day, she had been listening to it before she went to bed and then woke up with GK going round in her head!! My mums 67!!

:naughty: Weren't you like that though for the first few weeks of hearing the album? I was, it drove me absolutely insane in the night, so I totally understand what my Mum means.

As for my Dad, he just goes around whistling Lollipop all the time, but you don't really consciously notice it, until the subliminal message gets through and you suddenly realise that you too are whistling Lollipop...whistling is funny like that!

Mika is truly a genius tunesmith! This is the proof! :naughty:

"professed vocal range of five octaves has elevated him to a staple of the daytime radio playlists"

ok, its not true: 4-4.5 maybe, but its said in a praiseworthy manner :wink2: so I forgive them

I THINK EVEN MIKA HAS SAID HE ONLY

U S E S

ABOUT 3.5 OF HIS RANGE:

STILL FAB!

I THINK EVEN MIKA HAS SAID HE ONLY

U S E S

ABOUT 3.5 OF HIS RANGE:

STILL FAB!

Yes, I worked it out once, I took the lowest note I've ever heard him sing and the highest, and it worked out at just over 3 and a half octaves, so that seems right* That's still one octave more than the average isn't it?

* Well if Mika said it, it obviously is right, he knows his own voice!:naughty:

OK, I'M 66 and I "LOVE, LOVE" MIKA,

JUST AS MUCH--I MAY DARE SAY--AS ANYONE ELSE!

I've been a 'BIG MIKA FAN' since about mid-summer 2007.

I SAW MIKA 'LIVE' (& I DO MEAN LIVE!) ON JANUARY 31st

AT THE "ELECTRIC FACTORY" IN PHILADELPHIA.

(FIRST USA CONCERT OF THE RECENT TOUR OF NORTH AMERICA!)

MIKA & "TEAM MIKA" ABSOLUTELY "OWNED" THAT PLACE THAT NIGHT!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[i've posted a VERY LONG personal report in the Concert section for that

show in Philly here on the MFC Site.]

My "date" for the "celebratory and memorable event" was my son-in-law,

"Big Daddy Dale."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to be able to meet MIKA afterwards to

thank him for coming, this time, to the USA. I told him my age, and

actually said:

"I'm the leader of your "GRANNY BRIGADE."

"I hope I'm not TRASHING your image."

Never, EVER thrown, MIKA laughed and said:

"Oh, no, you'll have to come to one of the shows and come up on stage!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So come on, all you grandmothers (and grandfathers,) reveal yourselves.

I KNOW you're lurking out there!

A.Clay

That was such a lovely post to read; I'm intrigued about your report from January, we saw him here in the UK around the same time so it'd be interesting to read what your thoughts were at the time

EDIT: Do you have the link to it??

Edit again: I thought you meant January LAST year!!

A.Clay

That was such a lovely post to read; I'm intrigued about your report from January, we saw him here in the UK around the same time so it'd be interesting to read what your thoughts were at the time

EDIT: Do you have the link to it??

HERE!

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12589

Starts Post #342-

Ends Post #327!

• 6 months later...

i wish i could have taken my mother to a mika gig , but she died 6 years ago at the age of 45.

so she has never heard of mika.

but i'm sure she would have loved him and his music,

i had a dream about her and mika. i was in a movie with mika and my mother was there too . i wanted to introduce mika to my mother but my mother said oh we already know eachother :naughty:

I am 54 years old and a mother to a son who is thesame age as Mika. I love the guy! From the first time I heard him singing 'Love Today' I knew he was someone very special. I also agree that his songs get into your head! they kind of become part of your life in a way no other songs have ever done! Someone will say something... and it makes one of Mika's songs start playing in my head!

Recently, with the new interest in ABBA, because of the musical, I keep thinking that in 30 years time, this will be happening with Mika and his music.

But before that, I would really love for Mika to write a musical! He could do it so well!!